The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Vaykor Marelok Stands As A Thriving Fish In A Sea Of Ever Increasing Dirt.

Innocent_Flower

So I was skeptical of the Vaykor Marelok. I Loved the Marelok gun immensely. Not Because it was powerful, but because it was... Complete. It had Recoil. It had inaccuracy. An average reload on a small magazine. It had a badass twirling animation and a satisfying sound. I had potato'd it and forma'd it and it was my go-to weapon for anything high level or pvp. I had become like those old-frontier Americans, who on each day would sit on his porch in a rocking-chair with his old wife-gun marelok, watching the farmers farm. 

Then the vaykor marelok came. I wasn't in meridian, as I found their woman's voice annoying and her dialogue poor. But all the same I felt as if just trading for a new-improved version of my wife-gun would invalidate my efforts on the original. Initialy I was dreading the stats because of DE's great struggle (or lack of) with engaging balance. But the stats were fine. 

Now, Nobody wanted to buy a Marelok. I'd sit in the trade channel trying to sell something else, and I'd notice many,many people unsuccessfully trying to sell this weapon. A fair few trying to buy the sancti (because few pick new loka) and many, many people trying to buy the synoid (because it kills). 

So I traded for the synoid gammacore. 

It's S#&$. 

This is the most powerful weapon secondary in the game. 

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Synoid_Gammacor (wiki page for reference, those disadvantages are nothing)

Looks nice. Very high damage. Not bad crit/status. It has pinpoint accuracy. It's an automatic beam weapon, It has a bottomless clip. Fair reload. It has no interesting mechanics other than occasionally killing things in a radius around the player. It is everything wrong with this game. A shallow weapon; It is pretty. It kills things very quickly, but it requires no more than 'hold the mouse button and point laser at enemies'' Yet it's the most powerful thing out there.

Now, somewhere along the line I do some ODA's with another guy I'd found in recruiting and notice someone has a marelok. I couldn't tell which one it was because of the single colour scheme used. I ask him about it. We talk. Several dead lephanti later I find myself in his dojo and he's giving me a free vaykor marelok. (Though it was a while ago and my memory fades,I believe his name was 'AnotherCreation'. That's some top-bloke S#&$ right there. Give him free stuff if you see him) Now perhaps he gave it to me because he would struggle to sell or trade it, or as payment for good dialogue, or insanity, or just general benevolence (insanity).  

The Vaykor marelok is everything a good weapon should be. That poisoned cake i have prepared for the lemming that chose the synoid's stats is matched with a not-purposely poisoned cake of deliciousness for the beauty who changed the marelok (if they're the same guy... I'll need more planing to deal with my profound emotions) 

It still has the inaccuracy, the very high kick. But what it also has is a higher ammo count to lessen the severity of that average reload so I no longer need that quickdraw mod. It has slightly more specialized damage so that it fairs somewhat better against shields, and the syndicate effect is a nice bonus. 

It's not as powerful as the godmacor (nothing is), but it's more fun, it needs more skill. 

And it doesn't do more damage than the original marelok, yet it's so much better. Try both. Seriously. The Vaykor is leaps and bounds better than the original for no additional damage. You just need to reload less (which maybe gives you an additional mod-slot as you don't need quickdraw) and you occasionally have the syndicate ability happen. 

The vaykor is pretty much a kid screaming for change. An evidence for change It's about quality, not quantity. It's something that says 'if utility were more powerful, it could mean so much more for weapons". More damage just lets you hurt the same amount on higher levels. Utility lets you change the gun. To cover it's unique weaknesses, to give it new strengths. The Vaykor might as well be a prophet, that odd philosopher that died or that guy with the ideology they don't want you to know about. The Vaykor is love. Maybe if endgame was more about using increasingly functional and versatile weapons, rather than just plain number givers, warframe on the whole would improve.

I fear I may be to verbose:

Try marelok (preferably first)

Try Vaykor Marelok

Compare the two in gameplay. 

Post about the direction they went, and if you feel they should continue in that direction/how. 

The Vaykor marelok is everything a good weapon should be. That poisoned cake i have prepared for the lemming that chose the synoid's stats is matched with a not-purposely poisoned cake of deliciousness for the beauty who changed the marelok (if they're the same guy... I'll need more planing to deal with my profound emotions) 

This is the part where I burst out laughing and then had to read it dramatically to my girlfriend.

She thinks I'm crazy.

a million times yes. even though I don't notice that much of a difference in damage between my boltor prime and vaykor marlok I prefer using the marlok because it just feels...right you know?

everything about it just works. cool animations. good damage. a massive kick that just makes it feel like it's doing much more than it is. it all works and I really want this to be a new trend because quality is needed on things like this.

just wanted to add another thing to this

a million times yes. even though I don't notice that much of a difference in damage between my boltor prime and vaykor marlok I prefer using the marlok because it just feels...right you know?

everything about it just works. cool animations. good damage. a massive kick that just makes it feel like it's doing much more than it is. it all works and I really want this to be a new trend because quality is needed on things like this.

so I use the vaykor marlok all the way to enemy levels of 90+ and it peforms great. I could put forma and max every mod it uses and go even higher than this while the syndicate gammacor I've yet to touch for the sole reason of it will do more damage but it will feel like I'm not doing anything. having a zzzzzz sound while everything dies isn't as fulfilling as a loud BANG and seeing the enemy drop dead or recoil in pain.

I do have a habit of using the Synoid Gammacor on most of my non-Trinity builds since its high damage and Syndicate special allows for quick generation of energy, which goes well with Primed Flow on my QT builds. 

I also kinda hate the Vaykor Marelok as I have fond memories headshotting things with the Lex/AKLex back when I was under rank 6, and was thoroughly disappointed that I found the Marelok to be more useful than the Lex Prime.  

And then there's how noone believes me when I mention crit building the Vaykor Marelok.  I explain that it does on average higher damage per shot as well as dps and that doesn't include the spectacular damage when you score a critical headshot, doing four times the damage of a critical body shot where as a non-crit headshot would only do double damage of a non-critical body shot, but I only get told 'nah' 'wrong' or just get ignored...

v_v

Edited by KnotOfMetal

I'll agree with your first statement that the marelok series feels incredibly right to use. It has a good firing sound, a fiting recoil, absoloutely awesome animations and good fast handling for a secondary.

But I honestly think that the 2 guns feels incredibly alike, even though i might spend more time actually firing with the vaykor version, I admittedly most likely end up having all hand on mouse 1 to get the most damage ditched out in as little time as possible.

Yes you are right.

Now think about how bad the other syndicate weapons are compared to the Gammacor and Marelok.

:)

DE are good at balance. :) :) :)

So far... 

The synoid is both boring and OP

The Veykor is my new wife.

The Telos akbolto is good, but no marelok. It was also my first syndicate weapon.

The rakta is S#&$. Not only in poor stats and unimproved mechanics, but also in that you can't colour it, doomed to be forever grimdark against my rainbow of colours. I received this one at the cost of a single rare core (he wanted an ammo drum, but a good man pays in gold) and I feel like I was ripped off all the same. 

Sancti castanas... I think this time I will keep them. I've traded away or sold every one so far. 

Dual cestras... My clanmembers are always asking for the weapon mods (and I bought many a t4 cap just before they were taken away), So I've yet to get the final rank (or trade for them)

...Odd that the last ones to try are the ones from my own factions. 

Did OP miss the part where the Synoid Gammacor has a fixed 25 range while the Vaykor Marelok is hitscan?

Because that's actually something to keep in mind.  Also the fact that there's a different between the Innate effects as well.

the innate magnetic can have anything thrown on it, and the range... Well, Most gameplay occurs inside that distance, but you can mod some of the problem away (and that is the only problem). It being not-instadeath burst-damage hitscan isn't too much of a factor when considering the full auto nature of the beam and the seemingly infinite clip the weapon has, even with lethal torrent. 

Edited by Innocent_Flower

I think Marelok's eh pretty cool gun.

I used the Vaykor before the original though, Vaykor was simply quicker and easier to get, trading in my Secura vs grabbing some grineer thingies, and crafting.

Too bad I'm a gammacor fanboy solely cause I crave the energy.

I'm not all that fond of the lazy easy continuous mechanics, though I like reloading less often, that's so so. But yeah, that energy man. Veil is the only other one who gives energy procs, and Rakta is everything wrong on the opposite end of things.

But yeah I agree guns should have upsides and downsides.

Personally, I don't much like using guns that're hitscan 'cause they all feel kinda similar, too. (Either fast press button to kill or slow press button to kill, usually with low recoil, a variable amount of reload, all that.)

Special mechanics for guns are just the funnest, things like Cestra and general corpus tech, explosive weapons, Bows, and Quanta. <3

I wish there was more to differentiate guns though, besides from ones that have projectiles that do things.

but... it still has high damage...

but if your reason for veykor>synoid is that the mechanics makes it feel like a gun without forcing u to rely on MLG-level skills with only a mk-1 lato, then try boar/ boar prime. good dmg, but the catch is that u need to work on strafing to get into a nice lead-spraying range

but... it still has high damage...

but if your reason for veykor>synoid is that the mechanics makes it feel like a gun without forcing u to rely on MLG-level skills with only a mk-1 lato, then try boar/ boar prime. good dmg, but the catch is that u need to work on strafing to get into a nice lead-spraying range

It's not the damage, I mean I like the marelok for it's damage as well as it's mechanics, but it's the way it's upgraded. It's made so much better and it hasn't increased the base damage, but rather reduced the faults of the original and very much changing the feel of the gun. 

Like, can't we have better utility mods? Less emphasis on more damage as a whole? 

(has boar prime)

Edited by Innocent_Flower

And suddenly the almighty Marelok becomes the underdog...

Someone remember Acrid? Damn that was definetly the biggest loser of damage 2.0 and I'm kinda happy about that because I hated that gun, but it was the weapon to go for the highest content.

Genocide Gammacor is just what it is. Lazor of Doom.

Personally I have been using the Lex Prime and the Marelok as my long range pistols. I had not invested in either because I wasn't sure which I'd like better. Then Vaykor Marelok came around and tossed everything out the window by being clearly the dominant long range pistol in the game. I was very upset to say the least because I dislike how it looks and like the lex prime appearance much better. I'm now saving up to trade for the vaykor marelok.

But here is the problem, it is clearly the most powerful pistol in the game in terms of base damage (with synoid gammacor aside which I have but don't really use). I am literally left with no choice but to use the Vaykor Marelok because all other single shot pistols are just inferior. As for 25 meter range, at that range I find my brakk seems to work well enough so I'll stick with it for now.

Bottom line, the gammacor is just another example of "use this gun or suck balls". I wish using the lex prime did not make me cringe. Hopefully I can get over Marelok's ugly look.

I agree that I like the direction the Vaykor Marelok went from Marelok Vanilla, but it was a pretty OP gun to begin with. Honestly, I cringe everytime I use my Marelok because I know it doesn't belong. I know it isn't right. It does nearly twice (94%!) the damage of the Lex Prime. It does 40 more damage than the full sized rifle it's based off of! And it's a secondary, with secondary mods, which are great, making it more OP.

And suddenly the almighty Marelok becomes the underdog...

Yeah, Warframe is getting weird.

With the Synoid Gammaor, I feel like DE (probably Steve or Sheldon; they're so trolly sometimes) is giving us one last troll for New Year's before they get back to srsbsns. It's gonna get nerfed.

But I hope the Marelok gets nerfed right with it (to 110 damage). Sorry, brah.

Edited by Go4tfi5h

I agree that I like the direction the Vaykor Marelok went from Marelok Vanilla, but it was a pretty OP gun to begin with. Honestly, I cringe everytime I use my Marelok because I know it doesn't belong. I know it isn't right. It does nearly twice (94%!) the damage of the Lex Prime. It does 40 more damage than the full sized rifle it's based off of! And it's a secondary, with secondary mods, which are great, making it more OP.

Yeah, Warframe is getting weird.

With the Synoid Gammaor, I feel like DE (probably Steve or Sheldon; they're so trolly sometimes) is giving us one last troll for New Year's before they get back to srsbsns. It's gonna get nerfed.

I too am fully aware of how OP the original marelock is. If it did 30% less damage (that's an arbitrary guess) I'd still be very happy with it.  

I'd class marelok as a 'heavy pistol'. Like the Kraken or Sicarus (prime); we're not going to get a dual version, so it might as well be a little more powerful (then again the sicarus prime sucks) 

However, DE are notoriously... Bad, when it comes to balancing weapons. All you'd need is one guy and a spreadsheet with a bit of trial and error.