Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sliding Or Rocket Propelled Tenno

Adder9

The slide and aerial kick mechanics are something the I hope DE works on as part of the year of quality. Mostly, I would like to see sliding improved to the point at which acceleration is removed. As is, many people slide simply for speed purposes rather than tactical ones. I think that is because sliding is difficult to manage tactically because a) tenno slide SO far (comparable to you or I sliding 30 feet, or most of the way from 3rd to home in baseball), and b) because the slide triggers a noticeable acceleration. 

My idea for a fix is simple: the sliding tenno should start at their current speed and decelerate from there as normal. this would prevent the annoying rocket forward toward (and past) your enemies, and alleviate the need to plan a slide attack from a mile back (and be able to use it in a small room). Additionally, once the tenno sliding hits an object, the momentum should vanish, in the case of a solid object, or else turn into a trip/impact in the case of sliding into an enemy.  I have often intended to side in for the kill only to have the enemy move and find myself glued to the wall behind him until the momentum counter ticks down (quite a while in the case of a downhill slide). 

The same idea goes for the aerial kick. Rather than a giant forward acceleration (which I use to cross gaps on corpus maps instead of, you know, kick people), if the kick used the existing speed of the tenno to start, it would be much easier to land, more useful, and practical for the closed environments common to warframe.

Anyone have any other ideas?

EDIT;

I am very grateful to DE for making this a part of the January 16th Community hot topics. This Tenno is humbly honored. 

One of the often proposed ideas is that sprint speed needs to be decoupled from stamina, and stamina, in turn, needs to be reserved for attacking, blocking, parkour, and sliding/coptering. I like this idea a lot and think it makes a great compromise for removing the acceleration from sliding and aerial kicking. Tenno are (or should be), theoretically, plenty fit to run at their sprint speed through an entire map, and leaving stamina for other things leaves us more room to parkour our way through the maps instead of taking breathers. 

Edited by Adder9

Sliding has a 1 second cooldown to the movement boost. Way back it didnt, you could spam slide and be propelled like crazy, DE nerfed that and players were outraged to they changed it back.

They never fully changed it back :).

Anyways DE is going to have to commit to this if they want to bring these kind of changes because the community will be outraged.

but then we would need much higher sprint speed in order to get fast again.

I would personly like if we could really accelerate while sprinting and reach full speed after like 1 or 2 secounds.

Anyway, many players like that speed boost, including me. Not because its a good feature, but because tenno are much to slow by normal sprinting.

Also we should restless remove stanima, as there shouldnt be anything to slow down gameplay.

Or we can just keep it how it is because moving fast is fun.

Ecactly, moving fast is fun, but wouldnt it be also fun to just increase sprint speed, so we dont need an hardly controlable slide-boost?

I think by adding more sprint speed, the OP's Idea would lead to an faster and more presice way of movement.

Simplest solution to get rid of anoying $&*&*#(%& looking copters and sliders is to add a super ninja sprint, where weapon firing is not possible, but melee is. You can still slide and roll jump out of the super sprint, but without the dumb looking acceleration.

Through this feature you're aswell able to finally give stamina a purpose, which is that it will be consumed for the ninja-sprint, but nor normals sprint anymore. Of course it will have to have the regeneration rate adjusted.

If doing something like this, keep in mind to let the super ninja sprint be affected by sprint speed mods, and to choose the right speed so that: current-copter-speed = super-sprint-roll-jump-speed (I know it's not possible becaus coperting depends on melee weapon atk-spd, but at least make it close, so the amount of whiners is kept at a min).

Edit: Added the block about stamina.

Edited by Taefed

I know that this is a fast paced game, but that doesn't mean that it has to look like its mechanics and coding were done by a six year old. While I love the lore of the game, I would never spend any money on this game because it lacks the professionalism of other games. It's a good start, but it needs polishing, and DE needs to be willing to make the game better in spite of outrage over "slowness." I would much prefer a slower movement speed to ghetto fast movement mechanics. Since we wipe the map with powers, weaponfire, and other long ranged killers, we actualld don't need that much speed, since very little in this game relies on speed.

Anyways DE is going to have to commit to this if they want to bring these kind of changes because the community will be outraged.

That's what I would like to see, since building a quality experience for all players takes time, and, sometimes, means making sacrifices of "fun" side effects and glitches for quality, even if it means some outrage. People will calm down, and, more importantly, new players will stay. I've recruited 3 players (I would recruit more, but I don't have more people), and none of them play anymore because they want to spend their time on games that feel polished and complete.

I know that this is a fast paced game, but that doesn't mean that it has to look like its mechanics and coding were done by a six year old. While I love the lore of the game, I would never spend any money on this game because it lacks the professionalism of other games. It's a good start, but it needs polishing, and DE needs to be willing to make the game better in spite of outrage over "slowness." I would much prefer a slower movement speed to ghetto fast movement mechanics. Since we wipe the map with powers, weaponfire, and other long ranged killers, we actualld don't need that much speed, since very little in this game relies on speed.

As it was just stated in the recent by the numbers, most of our kills occur with ranged weapons, which, by definition, kill from a distance.

So by your logic we should change this to the pace of a tactical shooter because we can kill things fast...................... just stop. "...but that doesn't mean its mechanics and coding were done by a six year old." Are you an expert on game design and coding all the sudden?

So by your logic we should change this to the pace of a tactical shooter because we can kill things fast...................... just stop. "...but that doesn't mean its mechanics and coding were done by a six year old." Are you an expert on game design and coding all the sudden?

You've missed my point entirely. My quip at the movement design was a hyperbole; the movement mechanics look and feel sloppy. I haven't played games with similar problems since I was in my computer science courses. I am not an expert, but I have some expereince.

I like the pace of this game; however, I don't feel that the small hit in tenno speed we would take by polishing the slide mechanics would interefere with our experience. Most warframes have an ability that allows fast movement in any case....

I'd be cool with sliding being slower...

...as soon as every Tenno gets like a 30-40% boost in run speed.

If that's too strong, speed up the enemies too.

Everyone goes fast.

Fast everywhere.

Steroids and cocaine for everyone.

Ecactly, moving fast is fun, but wouldnt it be also fun to just increase sprint speed, so we dont need an hardly controlable slide-boost?

I think by adding more sprint speed, the OP's Idea would lead to an faster and more presice way of movement.

sprinting requires stamina

sliding doesn't

Kill silly catapult copter and slide physics and then just scrap stamina for a ground sprint activate movement faster than running so sprinting wont feel like a obstacle to get from encounter to encounter. Separate it from normal running. Ground sprint only when you have a fully charged stamina bar. And normal running wont let stamina recharge.

Put in new elements. Give select enemies a chance to pull you into combat. Like a close range shotgun grineer hit could damage stamina and maybe knock you down while in full sprint.

S#&$... I basically just gave everyone a clanky Volts Speed. Ok... Volt needs a new #2.

tumblr_mzrgfrFd4X1t0dn92o1_500.gif

The slide and aerial kick mechanics are something the I hope DE works on as part of the year of quality. Mostly, I would like to see sliding improved to the point at which acceleration is removed. As is, many people slide simply for speed purposes rather than tactical ones. I think that is because sliding is difficult to manage tactically because a) tenno slide SO far (comparable to you or I sliding 30 feet, or most of the way from 3rd to home in baseball), and b) because the slide triggers a noticeable acceleration. 

My idea for a fix is simple: the sliding tenno should start at their current speed and decelerate from there as normal. this would prevent the annoying rocket forward toward (and past) your enemies, and alleviate the need to plan a slide attack from a mile back (and be able to use it in a small room). Additionally, once the tenno sliding hits an object, the momentum should vanish, in the case of a solid object, or else turn into a trip/impact in the case of sliding into an enemy.  I have often intended to side in for the kill only to have the enemy move and find myself glued to the wall behind him until the momentum counter ticks down (quite a while in the case of a downhill slide). 

The same idea goes for the aerial kick. Rather than a giant forward acceleration (which I use to cross gaps on corpus maps instead of, you know, kick people), if the kick used the existing speed of the tenno to start, it would be much easier to land, more useful, and practical for the closed environments common to warframe.

Anyone have any other ideas?

You have any idea how many people will rage over this? Instead of NERFING EVERYTHING, Just give sprint an acceleration buff like mentioned by one of the people up top. It'll make things a little easier for people like me who just can't keep up with the Copters and Sliders.

This isn't a tactical shooter. It's Space Ninjas. It makes sense for us to move quickly.

Kill silly catapult copter and slide physics and then just scrap stamina for a ground sprint activate movement faster than running so sprinting wont feel like a obstacle to get from encounter to encounter. Separate it from normal running. Ground sprint only when you have a fully charged stamina bar. And normal running wont let stamina recharge.

Put in new elements. Give select enemies a chance to pull you into combat. Like a close range shotgun grineer hit could damage stamina and maybe knock you down while in full sprint.

S#&$... I basically just gave everyone a clanky Volts Speed. Ok... Volt needs a new #2.

tumblr_mzrgfrFd4X1t0dn92o1_500.gif

NO. JUST. NO. This isn't a tactical shooter. This SURE as Hek isn't Dark Souls. This is freakin' SPACE NINJAS.

If anything I would like the opposite. I would like an ability to actually rocket boost when sliding (maybe through mod?)... something like in Vanquish.

That and I would like sprint to have momentum. So the longer you run and heavier you are the more you accelerate as you sprint. This could also help those unpopular slow frames... you could reach the same speed as faster frames but slower and of course would have little trouble changing direction.

Edited by LocoWithGun

You have any idea how many people will rage over this? Instead of NERFING EVERYTHING, Just give sprint an acceleration buff like mentioned by one of the people up top. It'll make things a little easier for people like me who just can't keep up with the Copters and Sliders.

This isn't a tactical shooter. It's Space Ninjas. It makes sense for us to move quickly.

Yes, it does make sense for use to move quickly. I don't care how fast we go, or how we get there, as long as it looks and feels smooth and under my control. Right now, sliding doesn't. I don't enjoy it, and I often get left behind when my helitenno comrades fly through missions. I just want the movement in the game to look professionally done. To pull an example: for anyone who played Star Wars Battlefront II, some of the Jedi could, in effect, copter. The difference was that it fit in the game because the animation and the animation transitions were smooth and well thought out. Sliding, currently, does not feel well thought out.

If all the Tenno get a sprint speed boost, that's fine with me. A maxed Rush mod on your tenno, combined with a maxed marathon (which I use, and I'm quite satisfied with the resulting speed [on a Volt, btw]) would do wonders if you want to go faster. That's what those mods are there for. Perhaps in the future, more could be added, such as a primed version of rush, etc. if the butt scoot were to be fixed/smoothed/removed. 

@LocoWithGun, that sounds like a good idea for a mod. Somewhat similar to the heavy impact mod for melee. Call it Jets or Vapor Wind or Ion Thrusters, or something like that, and add an energy glow to the back and feet when sliding.... and I think you're onto something. 

Regardless, I see the possibility that everyone wins: sliding is smoothed out, mods are added, and it all looks well done.

I really like these thoughts--though I think if any changes to sprint speed were to be implemented, animations would need tweaking too. As it stands, sprint animations are fairly realistic; at normal speeds, they look and feel like what professional athletes might do. But that same animation at high speed is almost cartoony. Rather than a monster from the Orokin's wars, you become a jerky mish-mash of limbs and metal.

Perhaps the animation could shift at some point, turning into smooth lunges rather than the floaty sprint we already have. Not sure how feasible it is--nor how it would look in third-person--but thought I would mention it all the same.

@LocoWithGun  I think simulating inertia when sprinting is a great idea. 

If anything I would like the opposite. I would like an ability to actually rocket boost when sliding (maybe through mod?)... something like in Vanquish.

Honestly, this game could take a lot of cues from Vanquish and be better for it.

The difficulty I have is in determining the distance away from the enemy that I need to start the attack. Too far, and I take a hail of bullets before I get there. Too early, and any miscalculation causes a massive overshoot-wave-as-you-go-by-and-have-to-turn, especially if the enemy moves.