Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New: Codex Art Contest 2.0

[DE]Megan

The Journey Ahead will always be greater than the Journey You have left Behind.....

Behold my submission,

zGV1kOI.png

*note to [DE] in-case I get a place* If my Signature on the top right of the submission does not look like my in-game name please use this alternate image as my submission.

1jtByhr.png

Before any of you guys start asking any questions here are some answers that I have anticipated for you based on questions already asked by Alliance Members.

What part of the game has mountains in it? If you look far into the distance on Pluto you cant miss these!

Why So bright? This Game Revolves around its bloom effect... so I only found this fitting xD 

Why Potray the submission in an End Game Planet? Firstly ready phrase I wrote at the top of this post, Secondly It could be an Excalibur that has woken up from an abandoned Cryopod... use your imagination!

Your Own work? Yep

How did you make this? Ingame Screenshots + Gmod Models + Real life Pictures of Mountains

You take pictures of mountains? Yes... problem?

GQAK7Ac.jpg

What Software did you use? Photoshop as always, 3Ds Max for Posing the Models and After Effects for Colour Grading.

You make Warframe Fan-Art? Yes https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/159937-%E2%88%B0-jithvans-fan-art-%E2%88%B0/ and Clan Emblems https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/226858-%E2%9D%88-jithvans-clan-alliance-emblem-shop-%E2%9D%88/ xD

Cheers and Good Luck to the Other Submissions!

Edited by Jithvan

The contest says to only use your own images. Unless you are elreviae on DeviantArt who posted this piece :

http://elreviae.deviantart.com/art/Time-0-272955468

Then using a color corrected version as your background and then putting a copyright logo on it is extremely disingenuous and insulting.

As a content creator myself I do want to see a proof that zilarboy truly owns the background. Of course the two different signatures mismatching is highly suspicious. I myself would disgrace anyone who used my own art for commercial or claiming property of it unless I was informed AND I gave you permission.

Regardless rules say you are not allowed to use someone else's images.

First, when it is said that you can not use images of other people to participate I understand that refers to an image created 100% by another person and that is the image with which you participate. Not that you can not use one or more stocks or parts of other images, otherwise, I am not the creator of Warframe so here could not use images of the game. (Besides I do not do commercial use of it and can be downloaded from multiple websites for free).

Second, the logo of copyright, put it in reference to my nickname (which I use as a trademark) not for the image.

Thirdly, I will be waiting for the contest organizers tell me if my image is valid, if it is not valid or if not is if I can make another.

Finally, if I have offended anyone with my picture and there has been some misunderstanding I ask my sincere apologies.

(Also Excuse my English, I'm Spanish).

First, when it is said that you can not use images of other people to participate I understand that refers to an image created 100% by another person and that is the image with which you participate. Not that you can not use one or more stocks or parts of other images, otherwise,

It's not about the contest; it's about how you used part of an art piece that wasn't yours for your own piece. Usually, this is a violation to the original author's copyright, not this contest's rules. In that sense, you should have asked the author on deviantArt to receive permission to use it in the first place, as you're trying to win a competition to receive a currency in the game (you're still trying to make a profit out of it).

I scrolled through some of elreviae's comments and they're very kind and generous in their response, so I'm sure they would have been okay with you using it as long as you asked first then gave credits to the image you used. From the looks of your reply, I assume you haven't even asked elreviae for that. Their image isn't a stock image either, only that they used their own stock pictures to create part of the image.

So the issue doesn't lie the way you handled contest rules, but simply how you used the image itself for your piece, and in what intention. You might not be the only one who posted here that did it of course. I hope you take this little feedback in consideration, as I believe you didn't mean anything bad from this.

Edited by Casardis

First, when it is said that you can not use images of other people to participate I understand that refers to an image created 100% by another person and that is the image with which you participate. Not that you can not use one or more stocks or parts of other images, otherwise, I am not the creator of Warframe so here could not use images of the game. (Besides I do not do commercial use of it and can be downloaded from multiple websites for free).

Second, the logo of copyright, put it in reference to my nickname (which I use as a trademark) not for the image.

Thirdly, I will be waiting for the contest organizers tell me if my image is valid, if it is not valid or if not is if I can make another.

Finally, if I have offended anyone with my picture and there has been some misunderstanding I ask my sincere apologies.

(Also Excuse my English, I'm Spanish).

To the first point!

Regardless of COMMERCIAL USE, this is by LAW that you can use it for non commercial use, but when you are talking about ethics, that's an entirely different story! We are talking about proper credit.

Now back to the law:

Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair.

2. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
  4. The nature of the copyrighted work
  6. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
  8. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work

Now we might want to ignore number 4 for the sake of the argument because this one is really hard to prove, HOWEVER crediting the original creator is the main way which you put traffic towards the original so court would be able to disregard this point completely if the flow of traffic was a good one and impactful. This does not however say you will be immediately be punished for not bringing a flow of traffic, in fact sometimes bad reviews by the nature of this point should be punished, but they don't because of the first 2 points, Reviews should be non-profit in nature and because they come to help the consumer in the first place then flow of traffic can be completely disregarded.

But for a picture or video in which you use something as an asset then 4 CAN be regarded, which is why you need to properly credit someone else's work.

Number 3 basically says with this example: "oh look you used only 3 seconds of a song and you are a 1 hour long movie, you will get off the hook on that" That is of course considering points 1 and 2 are checked to be non-profit. However if someone has any idea what defines a non-profit contest feel free to put it up, I lack the experience with producing events.

The second point. Thanks for clearing out the obvious, The image on the back still needs to be credited for the original author SOMEWHERE, especially considering 90% of the job was done by him. It's like completely legitimating the fact facebook users take portions of video from youtube re-edit them and upload them without proper credit. This is called Freebooting. However credit to you it could non-profit...or is it? We are talking about a contest with platinum, prize money. doesn't really seem non-profit now...

Thirdly, you may want to directly ask the contest organizer, if he approves it I'd have to accept his judgement, even if I don't agree with it. Why should it be done directly? there is a chance he'll reply too late.

[EDIT]

It's not about the contest; it's about how you used part of an art piece that wasn't yours for your own piece. Usually, this is a violation to the original author's copyright, not this contest's rules. In that sense, you should have asked the author on deviantArt to receive permission to use it in the first place, as you're trying to win a competition to receive a currency in the game (you're still trying to make a profit out of it).

I scrolled through some of elreviae's comments and they're very kind and generous in their response, so I'm sure they would have been okay with you using it as long as you asked first then gave credits to the image you used. From the looks of your reply, I assume you haven't even asked elreviae for that. Their image isn't a stock image either, only that they used their own stock pictures to create part of the image.

So the issue doesn't lie the way you handled contest rules, but simply how you used the image itself for your piece, and in what intention. You might not be the only one who posted here that did it of course. I hope you take this little feedback in consideration, as I believe you didn't mean anything bad from this.

You can still use non-stock images as long as it is in nature non-profit and it uses only as a small percentage. Still though better safe than sorry.

Edited by DarkBabylon

Made in Sourcefilmaker

Models by nickout in Steam

And the picture is in the link right here, right here, yes click it.-------

|

|

http://animefreakdotjrs.deviantart.com/art/Codex-contest-508667189?ga_submit_new=10%253A1421883126

bps50q2.jpg

On a mission to stop dastardly Grineer undersea intentions on planet Earth, Hydroid, Excalibur, and Loki begin their assault into the sea. Excalibur quickly realizes he cannot swim, while Loki turns into his spirit animal the hammerhead shark and Hydroid cruises across the water capping fools.

I totally didn't get lazy with the water.

Just in case if the name doesn’t read: Algopher

It’s a photo, I made the image too big and I couldn’t scan the thing. (lol)

With my mind awaken, I look into space: I have bested the graneer, beaten the corpus, repressed the infested and entered the forsaken void. But still there are many secrets to find in this system. Only time will tell.

3s4Qm7U.jpg

Hi guys, first post!

warframe_art_contest2.jpg

Anyway here's my entry for the contest... actually i'm not so satisfied on how it turned out, but unfortunately i don't have any more time to tweak it, so here it is. Hope you like it anyway :)

I decided to draw the most recent additions to the game: the latest warframe, Mesa, the latest boss, Alad V... now that he's finally dead the road to the future is open.

Edited by RennyManJr