January 16Th: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Drew

Community Hot Topics  

2,518 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Community Hot Topics 2015!

Welcome to the start of another year of Community Hot Topics! If you’re new to the Community Hot Topics, these threads highlight some of the hot discussions that are happening in the Warframe community. We find important and interesting threads and discuss them here. Community threads are not necessarily indicative of what’s currently in development, but community feedback does influence many design decision. For example, we’ve just announced some upcoming changes for Ember. Her abilities were discussed in a Community Hot Topics last year as well as more recently in the Design Council. Your input is very important to us, so thanks for being a part of the Warframe Community. We’re eager to hear/see what you have to say! 

Sliding, Coptering, and Wall Flinging:

The source threads for this topic focus on movement mechanics in Warframe. “Coptering” has become such an iconic Warframe maneuver that the development team has purposefully left it in game, despite it originally being unintentional. Most players use Sliding, Coptering and Wall Flinging to quickly travel across maps, but do you think these maneuvers should be changed in any way? Adder9’s thread recommends that acceleration be removed from sliding so that slide attacks and other maneuvers can be controlled more easily. Do you think these movement maneuvers are perfect the way they are? If not, how would you change them?  Keep in mind, we have “Parkour 2.0” planned for this year, which will help us polish the types of movement in Warframe. Voice your opinion in this thread or in the source threads below. 

Source threads:

Pickups:

Einde has an interesting hot topic that suggests some ways to improve pickups in Warframe. Do you think those blue and red orbs could use an update? Do health orbs provide a good amount of health on pickup? What about energy orbs? The source thread also discusses some interesting ways to improve ammo pickups for weapons with different reserves. What are your thoughts on ammo pickups? What would you change, if anything? Vote in the poll and post your thoughts in this thread and the source thread below. 

Source thread:

Damage levels, Powercreep, and Required Mods:

This is the hottest topic in this week’s Community Hot Topics, and it’s also a topic that has been popular in the community for quite some time. Serration and other damage mods are often criticized as being “must haves” that are mandatory for optimizing builds. Some of the source threads discuss the repercussions of removing Serration and the effect that would have on power levels. Do you think Warframe would be too difficult without mods that increase damage? Do you think these mods are fine in their current form, or would you make any changes at all? Would a “Primed Serration” be game breaking in your opinion? Are these mods only too powerful when combined with certain weapons? Please, vote in the poll and post your thoughts in this thread and in the source threads. 

Source threads:

Grab and Throw Mechanics:

This is a fun Hot Topic by unknow99 that suggests mechanics for grabbing enemies, beating them, using them as shields, then tossing them when you’re done. What kind of interesting combat strategies would these mechanics create? Would you ever grab enemies, or do you prefer to kill them as quickly as possible instead? Which enemies would make the best shields? (Don’t say “Crewmen”!!). As always, post your thoughts and ideas in this thread and in the source thread below. 

Source thread:

Abilities and “Energy 2.0”:

TheAceOfSkulls has a hot topic that suggests ways to improve Warframe abilities so that powers 1 through 3 see more use in game. Do you save your energy for your fourth ability or do you freely use your full range of powers? Ability usage will vary from warframe to warframe, but on average, do you neglect abilities 1, 2, and 3 in favor of 4? Or, do you use them all according to circumstances? Can you think of ways to improve the energy system, or is it perfect the way it is now? Should the energy system reward players for using the full range of their abilities? Let your fellow Tenno know by posting below. 

Source thread:

Instead of having mods, I think our warframe and weapon's stats should increase as you level. Serration and its kin should be removed and replaced by a rank - to - damage system, this way, the best players are the most skilled, not the best farmers.

Instead of having mods, I think our warframe and weapon's stats should increase as you level. Serration and its kin should be removed and replaced by a rank - to - damage system, this way, the best players are the most skilled, not the best farmers.

I'm thinking of reworking the old "skill/ mod/ stat " tree system that would work with our current mod system. but i think it would be part of Focus system.

Than again... We have too much dmg mods (counting pure, elemental and specific type of dmg mods; dual/corrupted or not ). I often fell to have one or no place for unity mod in a weapon.

as for the last pool - the problem is what the role of the frame and how much i know how to play with it. and of course what frame we use. ("one ability frames" are Necros, Sairyn, Mag, Amber- pick up 20 random games with those frames and you will see that gamers will use mainly only one ability of the frame )

if i count all frames than its option 3, and if i count the frames that I'm normally use than its option 1 (or at leas I try). 

The thing we called "cooldowns" could do wonders with that. but players will rage for that change- no matter if it was a good change. they hate any hindrances.

for ammo hp/energy - why they are not scaling with the stuff we are using ?!

fro the record.. people are nagging and blaming that there is not much parkur. but for pete sake - how is parkur gonna work properly when we have coptering and hyper jumping ?! whats the purpose of having movement abilities /mods ?! moreover. level designers went to the length of standing on their head to give us pleasurable missions. and what do we do? we destroy the subtle movement experience they give us. for what ?! for coptering - because we have too much movement inconveniences ?!

think again why do we want parkur and other stuff in game - than answer do we want a bug (I'm standing tall with that statement - coptering is a movement bug) moving for us or do we want a working pleasurable maneuvers ?

As Scot said they need to be removed entirely from the game.

Edited by Cracken

Re: Serration

I want to see conditional damage mods added. I think the game has needed them for a very, very long time and they would be a major improvement. What this does to serration is up to the devs. I don't consider removing it a prerequisite.

I think that weapon damage should scale with level, like health, shields, and energy do for warframes. Maybe some damage mods could still exist in the form of nightmare mods, but with low percentages so they aren't deemed "false choice" mods. 

About the damage mods.

I think they should be removed completely and weapons should gain 10% extra damage on every level-up.

This would give them 300% bonus damage [Which is what you usually get out of stacking something like max Serration and Heavy Caliber together.]

If DE intends to keep corrupt trade-off mods, however. The damage increase, at least for rifles, should be at least 5% per level. Maxing out at 150% bonus damage. This would have to be different to compensate for things like Hornet strike or point blank's massive percentage differences.

Edited by Sarmon

Do you think Sliding, Coptering, and/or Wall Flinging should be changed in some way?

These should not be changed/not changed much. sprinting should instead be improved to keep up

On average, do you use all of your Warframe’s abilities?

On most frames

Exceptions:

Ember (fireblast)

Nekros (terrify)

Saryn (contagion)

Excalibur (Slash Dash)

Rhino (charge)

The top three is because they feel so underwhelming

the last two is because they dont fit my build

Sliding, Coptering, and Wall Flinging:

Personally I'd really like coptering to go. But some players will demand reparation in blood if you do it. Could you at least, make so that coptering consider momentum and speed, so we could not launch yourself from standing position 30m forth.
Wall Flinging is too unreliable. Good luck landing precisely when needed. 
And remove stamina already! It serves absolutely no purpose.

Pickups:

About time to do something about it. Maybe make it a % of a mag size or simply increase amount.

Damage levels, Powercreep, and Required Mods:

Current system does not provide room for any imagination. Every build is a damage build with very minor variations. DE did not even release a weapon, and I'm already know what will I put in it. Once you maxed Serration, Multishots out - you can safely forget about two slots. These mods can be just passive upgrades at this point.

Why not just go in that direction? Weapon damage could scale with lvl, and we could pick a perk(Punch Through, Bigger Magazine etc) say once in 10 levels. Then add some really interesting mods, like more headshot damage, extra damage if enemy is on lover ground etc.

Grab and Throw Mechanics:

No. Just no.

Abilities and “Energy 2.0”:

MAKE DAMAGE ABILITIES SCALE WITH SOMETHING! Currently we use only #4 or utilities. I'm tired of having powers, that become completely useless as enemy HP scale. Also do something about #4 spam while you at it!

Edit: Layout.
Edited by V0LK

On damage mods: they need to go, because you need them in allmost every build eating up a slot. Also status damage builds are no viable option. However if you remove them, dont, DONT turn this into a damage nerf for us, I know you like to make things worse, so please turn the damage buff serration etc offers into a general weapon damage buff.

For the Abilities I am missing the option: "I use the abilities that are actually usefull."

never liked me coptering, i admit, i used coptering, but because the damn players with the mentality of "Gotta Go Fast" forced me to adquire that bad habit, now recently i like to use aerial attacks more, but yes, acceleration (and with it coptering) should be removed for the sake of parkour 2.0

Sliding Coptering:

Although I admit that I use these extensively, I think they need to be discouraged or removed.  Sprinting should be improved, but coptering was never intended and unfortunately DE gave up on fixing it rather than dealing with it.  It also breaks the point of having different sprint speeds on frames as an element of balance.  Also the new mid air dirrectional melee should have the "flinging" aspect removed from it, it is as bad as coptering.  As it stands there is little to no reason to do any parcour type of movement.  Also these things kind of make movement based abilites far less valuable.  And I hate to say it because I know it doesn't usually go over well, but coptering just doesn't make sense, it completely ignores physics.  

Pickups:

I am not sure how I would change them, but I also wouldn't really be against changing or tweaking things. 

Pure damage mods:

Leave them as is.  Maybe add some mods that are alternatives to them, and can't be equipped at the same time.  But leave the option to just use the existing base damage mods in the game. 

Grabbing enemies:

I don't see any point to it.  Unless you could drag one around and use them as a shield. 

Do I use all warframes abilities:

Some times, but for most frames usually only 2 of the 4.  There are too many useless abilities in this game.  I do kind of make a point of using at least 2 abilities on a frame, just because I kind of feel its a real shame to ignore them all but just one. 

Honestly I've always thought mods shouldn't increase damage, only utility/how the gun feels. But that's just me.

I agree on this. The way the mod system works just obligates people to slap 8 damage mods on. Weapons that require utility mods like the Supra(projectile speed and reload) end up being bad because their damage just doesn't compensate for the fact that you won't be able to use the weapon without sacrificing some slots.

With insane damage boosts from mods also comes the difficulty in creating proper enemy design and scaling. One weapon can do between 100 damage a shot and 3k damage a shot depending on mods. The increase is just insane. If damage mods were reduced in effectiveness and existed more to combat specific weaknesses and boosting specific factors on a weapon than just exponentially increasing the damage they do, I imagine it would be a lot easier to create a challenge that doesn't either feel cheap or extremely easy, and it would be easier to design weapons with an interesting mechanic that people would use instead of a weapon that simple has a ton of dps.

Damage mods should be like the corrupted versions. You get sheer damage increase, which is always good, but you get some drawback that reduces your efficiency in another way. If more mods worked this way, modding as a whole would be more about perfecting your weapon's effectiveness instead of just slapping as much damage on it and calling it a day.

I'm not sure how the change would work for elemental mods. Initially when I played the game I thought that elemental mods converted a percentage of your weapon's damage into that element. It seems logical for me for it to work that way, but it also cheapens the weapon's innate element or IPS distribution. If Serration-like mods were to be removed, I think elemental mods should be nerfed so that they aren't the alternate way to increase damage exponentially. Maybe brought down to 30% like the IPS mods.

Also for the love of god don't remove coptering. It's way too fun, practical and reliable to be considered something bad. People shouldn't ask for it to be removed because some people don't like using it and don't like people complaining about them going slow. This is an issue that exists because of players, not because of the mechanic itself.

For Coptering to be removed, I would really hope that stamina as a mechanic gets deleted and all memory of it wiped out MIB style. Also double base warframe speed. In comparison to coptering even Loki is slow, and slower frames feel so sluggish that not coptering is just painful.

Edited by Halser

If DE is gonna remove damage mods such as Serration, point blank, hornet strike and pressure point they should never had released a primed point blank in the first place!

I bought the primed one, I say if you are gonna replace it I want a full refund aswell as compensation for my lost credits and fusion cores that went into my serration and hornet strike!