The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What We Could Do With Mastery Rank

Bouldershoulder

I woke up near morning with a stream of thoughts and ideas flooding my head regarding gear, mods, parts, and a thought of mastery rank shining so bright I just couldn't ignore it, and I want someone from DE to see this (I don't know if something similar has been already suggested, I didn't follow, so sorry if it was)

Here's what I think.

Let's imagine that our master account is an actual person, a tenno with body, that lives, breathes, and such. The closest things to this body we have in warframe are health and stamina. When a person undergoes physical training, his/her body gets stronger, more enduring, and more vital.

What if each mastery rank a player achieved would give a passive bonus to health and stamina? Atop of the number of trades per day and extraction drones simultaneously deployed, which represents the "level of access" for the given rank, this would reflect how fit the tenno body has become. After all, they run a lot carrying heavy gear, performing acrobatics, fighting in melee, and so on. Each rank could give, say, 10% passive boost for base health and stamina, which would give a total of 180% for MR18 (MR for mastery rank), or a progression bonus% = MR + bonus%(MR-1) with 0% for MR0, that is:

1% for MR1,

3% for MR2,

6% for MR3,

10% for MR4,

15% for MR5,

21% for MR6,

28% for MR7,

36% for MR8,

45% for MR9,

55% for MR10,

66% for MR11,

78% for MR12,

91% for MR13,

105% for MR14,

120% for MR15,

136% for MR16,

153% for MR17, and finally

171% +a bonus of 9% to round up for MR18, for reaching the maximum rank (or without the bonus, if you plan to add more mastery ranks)

This isn't a terribly huge boost, compared to the corresponding mods, but it will most definitely reward veteran players for reaching so high, as well as promote to get higher MR, Plus it will help in higher tier content, where one very often gets one-shooted, and additional stamina will also greatly help, also it could potentially free up a slot or two for those who use Vigor atop of Vitality, or the Marathon, or save behinds of some Rhinos, who believe they don't need Vitality..

So how do you like it?

Edit: when I finished typing, I thought about armor bonus as well, but it will bring nigh invincible Valkyr even closer to invincibility, though it could help casters with their 15 armor if each rank gave at least some flat number, say, 5 armor per rank. It would open new ways for customization. High MR tenno could consider putting some Steel Fiber on their Embers >.>

Edited by Bouldershoulder

Would be awesome if Mastery Rank actually meant something in the game besides how many items you can pump out of your foundry. I stopped caring about Mastery Rank once I realized how it has no reflection about your skill whatsoever. There are way too many items I could care less about making and leveling just to build Mastery Rank. Mastery Rank should be tied to enemy kills and mission completions and not the foundry.

There could be a player who is an absolute god in Warframe but still has a low MR because they chose to only make their favorite frames and favorite weapons and stuck with them. High MR means absolutely nothing. The only incentive for me to build my MR is to get more Syndicate bonus, and honestly there isn't much about Syndicates worth getting to me other than a cool sigil with cool animations.

Ilike the Idea, but I think the scaling is too strong. 153% for MR 17 is alot. And considering going by this scaling trend and the fact this game isn't even out of beta, by the time someone gets mastery rank 30 they will be like gods amongst the peasants. This kind of advantage is a little too much, especially since it does nothing to your conclave.

Ilike the Idea, but I think the scaling is too strong. 153% for MR 17 is alot. And considering going by this scaling trend and the fact this game isn't even out of beta, by the time someone gets mastery rank 30 they will be like gods amongst the peasants. This kind of advantage is a little too much, especially since it does nothing to your conclave.

What is +200% base HP? You had 800 hp, now you have 2,4k hp. And what is 2,4k hp for a mob of 80+ lvl (or rather a bunch of them)? You will have a few seconds more to maneuver, it's not that many, and it will give some hardcore players the ability to play their sought for "end-game" content. Compared to the mobs which have dozens of thousands hp paired with insane armor, we are thin paper. If you don't like high hp, you will have a free slot for Maglev, or autoparry, or another intensify. About advantage, if you mean conclaves, it can well be done that in conclaves you have no such bonuses, just like it is in solar rail conflicts now. Other than that, its not an advantage, but a benefit to the whole team. Just think about it: advantage over who?

no.

some stuff could be only obtained by spending money, or simply being there from the start. worse there's a direct link between mastery and money (as in you can buy all weapons/frames and then sit in pubs like a parasite).

This means mastery is very much P2W territory and should have no impact on gameplay.

It would create an insurmountable power gap between veterans and newcomers.

There is a natural gap, but it shouldn't be insurmountable. Over time all players should be equal. 

Besides, I think the power difference is already too large as is. 

I don't like this idea at all. 

It would create an insurmountable power gap between veterans and newcomers.

Would you say that black belt karate master practicing karate all his life should be equal to any amateur who has just recently bought a "junior's guide to karate in 7 days"? Or would it brake the game in any way? Tenno aren't scalable, while their enemies are. What's the point of always sitting on Ceres doing the same Draco 4 rounds, or Xini on Eris, where the majority of randoms leaves after 10 waves, when you could do endless T4 with less effort? Why force veterans to stay with newcomers? If they want, they will go to Appolodorus on Mercury to find a padavan, but when they want to do a 80 wave T4 defense just for sport, they can't.

Why would we ever need MR then? For more trades?

Over time all players should be equal. 

And over time they all will be. No one holds anyone in place.

That stats are fine, just insert a minus before each number. That last thing a true MR10+ really wants is to make the game even easier.

I'm MR16 currently and I want to be able to withstand a headshot from 33lvl nullifier in T4 with a caster frame. Why not? I have been oneshoted through sheilds a few times when I was using Trinity with rage and quick thinking, is it normal?

Tying direct combat advantage to MR would be too off-putting for new players. MR should give indirect advantages per-level, such as GOOD rewards (Orokin Reactor/Catalyst level, not Sentinel XP level) on Rank up, extra slots for loadouts & similar stuff. But not damage bonuses. 

Tying direct combat advantage to MR would be too off-putting for new players. MR should give indirect advantages per-level, such as GOOD rewards (Orokin Reactor/Catalyst level, not Sentinel XP level) on Rank up, extra slots for loadouts & similar stuff. But not damage bonuses. 

These are just candies. You ate them, you don't have them. And I said nothing about damage. If I would, I'd propose power strenght and stretch, or streamline, and I didn't, right?

It's still a direct gameplay advantage regardless. I am MR17 mind you, a bonus based off MR would benefit me greatly. I still think it wouldn 't be a good fit for the community. 

Warframe has much more of a modular approach to power, where you have mods which you can plug and unplug as you see fit. Some of these take time to max - the 10 level ones - and that's the veterancy advantage I think fits. 

I'd rather have the game give one-time good tangible rewards, and other limits raised, such as loadouts and syndicate standing per day. 

What is +200% base HP? You had 800 hp, now you have 2,4k hp. And what is 2,4k hp for a mob of 80+ lvl (or rather a bunch of them)? You will have a few seconds more to maneuver, it's not that many, and it will give some hardcore players the ability to play their sought for "end-game" content. Compared to the mobs which have dozens of thousands hp paired with insane armor, we are thin paper. If you don't like high hp, you will have a free slot for Maglev, or autoparry, or another intensify. About advantage, if you mean conclaves, it can well be done that in conclaves you have no such bonuses, just like it is in solar rail conflicts now. Other than that, its not an advantage, but a benefit to the whole team. Just think about it: advantage over who?

Even if the bonus stat was removed in PVP, It's an advantage for clans when used in events. So unless you want this bonus to only exist outside of events and PVP, then yes it is an unfair advantage.

Even if the bonus stat was removed in PVP, It's an advantage for clans when used in events. So unless you want this bonus to only exist outside of events and PVP, then yes it is an unfair advantage.

In which way? I see different people all around with hp values ranging from 300 (I don't mention rank 0 Limbos on Xini) to near 1,2k. They don't seem to feel any particular disadvantage against each other. Moreover, I've seen too many people flying archwing missions with caster frames being punished in the next 20 seconds for choosing wrong warframe or for not learning about the archwing basics. But they were revived and carried along by other people like me, who use Valkyr or Rhino for archwing. Were they in any disadvantage?

Any more arguments except these competitive nonsense about advantage and disadvantage?

You seem to forget that players are not stuck with any particular rank. New players advance, and veteran players are already here, and everything in the middle. I doubt there are big clans with only MR18 players or with only MR3 players, everything is mixed up. And there are already those weird guys looking for party only MR16+ conclave rating 1600, so nothing will really change in this regard.