The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ingame Avatars Are Rather... Bad.

Innocent_Flower

So ingame you get represented by a picture, the picture doesn't represent you though does it? There are two mechanics an avatar should being; 

A: a unique picture that represents you. I should be able to see an image and instantly know the name. Currently; We have a million excalibros (I am the 99%) a fair few trinities; And a bunch of vile disgusting scrubs who'd go as low as to buy avatars (I kid, I kid) and yet even within the ranks of those plat-wasting-bourgeoisie scrubamites the avatars are not unique. That guy who paid for a banshee picture? Same banshee picture as a few thousand others. Love Rhino, but only when he's pink? Tough luck, you can't have that. 

or 

B: An image that tells you what frame people are currently using. Having to manually check in the lobby, or even find that player in pubs, to know who they are (rather important if you're the kind of player who keeps everyone's health visible for gameplay reasons), isn't a fantastic use of the avatar's space. 

The Avatar is currently useless. there are two ways it can better the UI of the game and it does neither. 

Change it; 

For A, I'd ask for player made emblems. A simple colour changeable graphic on top of another,both chosen from a pool of colourable images, would do (like halo). More complex options (ever tried making an emblem in Cod;black ops? Sadly it was the best part of the game) would be very welcome. We could choose from basic shapes,  tenno symbols, grineer and corpus icons, the vast amount of event badges we have, syndicate images, sigils, Helmets from all characters... and so on and so forth. (or we could just have custom images, that would work. 

For B? 

Helmet icons for the helmet our warframe is currently using (hopefully rendered in a nice artistic style) with colours  chosen from the colour pallet we're using. . 

Now they could be mutually exclusive, or they could both be used (helmet on top of custom emblem.Or perhaps the player has the option to switch between what they want to see?) Regardless; The system gets better. It's a tiny feature we don't really pick on because there are other, more prominent problems; but it's true that the current system's very basic. 

What about the players who have bought avatars?

Sail them off the edge of the world. 

Many ways to do this; 

- Give those players the option to use that purchased avatar, regardless of the new system. 

- Put exclusive icons into those packs, so the players who bought them have more options. 

- If the other two don't seem like good options (they are);Refund them. they're a small amount of plat for a bundle. You can't even buy a potato the amount that most of them cost. Regardless; The money has already gone into warframe.  Will a good 15-30 last long enough to hold someone from buying more? Not likely. 

Edited by Innocent_Flower

Change it; 

For A, I'd ask for player made emblems. A simple colour changeable graphic on top of another,both chosen from a pool of colourable images, would do (like halo). More complex options (ever tried making an emblem in Cod;black ops? Sadly it was the best part of the game) would be very welcome. We could choose from basic shapes,  tenno symbols, grineer and corpus icons, the vast amount of event badges we have, syndicate images, sigils, Helmets from all characters... and so on and so forth. (or we could just have custom images, that would work. 

People have been asking for this for a while now, don't know whether or not DE will implement it though.

Bro, are you calling me out on my avatar?

Thats what I'd expect from a plebeian.

Changing in game avatars to your current frame would help a lot.

The current avatars in the market could be replaced with special effects or fancy backgrounds.

Forumside, I've always thought that users past a certain point should be allowed a custom avatar that they upload themselves

I ain't gonna lie, from the very beginning I considered charging real monetary value (remember, early on there was no trading so it was just you, your starting plat, and your wallet) for teeny weeny little inconsequential UI/forum portraits of warframes (which you should have been given for free just by getting said warframe, regardless of if you bought or farmed for it) as one of the few legitimately and almost insultingly shameless cash-grabs in this game.

In general it's one of the saddest excuses for a "cosmetic" option I can possibly think of especially in a video game. One that is now chocked full of actually worthy cosmetics like having actually unique images actually plastered on your actual warframe's shoulders... in the actual game.

Your ingame UI portrait should automatically be the frame you have equipped in order to give your team mates an accurate visual cue, no monkey business. As it is now, If anyone even notices that you have a super awesome trinity portrait that you coughed up plat for they're probably just going to be slightly annoyed that you weren't actually a trinity.

As for the forums, It can stay largely as it is other than the whole still charging plat for them thing, if you have the frame then you should have the portrait.

/end rant

Our Avantar should reflect what frame we are currently playing. This was brought up in the first UI related Devstream but Dorian and Pablo misunderstood the question so this was never brought up again saddly.

I don't particularly like that thought.  Players can already just check to see what someone's playing when they're in game (where the played character matters) and the same is true for players in a lobby.  If we're sticking to the most basic of changes I would prefer it to be where your most used "favorite" frame is your avatar.

I dig Vauban and I feel like his style suits me as does his oversized head.  Atop that I like sparkly lightness so good old light espirit Vauban for me.

Anyways as to Innocent's "Idea of the day™"  I dig one option here, obviously that being option A compared between the two.  As stated above I'm just not fond of my avatar being locked onto a frame just because I happen to have it equipped.  I'll have to rank Rhino someday... and I'd rather not be forced to see his ugly mug representing me throughout the entirety of that slog-fest.

Of course you basically covered that issue with the allowance for those of us who threw plat at avatars to just use ours as is.

I don't particularly like that thought.  Players can already just check to see what someone's playing when they're in game (where the played character matters) and the same is true for players in a lobby.  If we're sticking to the most basic of changes I would prefer it to be where your most used "favorite" frame is your avatar.

Problem with that is some players may like one avatar image, while said players would be using another Warframe the most (due to Defence/Survival/Excavation runs, for instance), in which it just then makes Avatars a more subtle form of representing the Warframe the player uses. 

I think it would probably just be better to see what Warframe the player is using through the mission lobby (the countdown timer and such) and during the mission. 

Problem with that is some players may like one avatar image, while said players would be using another Warframe the most (due to Defence/Survival/Excavation runs, for instance), in which it just then makes Avatars a more subtle form of representing the Warframe the player uses. 

I think it would probably just be better to see what Warframe the player is using through the mission lobby (the countdown timer and such) and during the mission. 

What if we just don't tie the game and forum avatars together?

Let us change our avatar on the forums to whatever, and not have it affect in-game?

And then our avatar in-game can either be our current equipped frame, or a frame avatar of our choice. Give us the option to choose from the two on a per-player level.

What if we just don't tie the game and forum avatars together?

Let us change our avatar on the forums to whatever, and not have it affect in-game?

And then our avatar in-game can either be our current equipped frame, or a frame avatar of our choice. Give us the option to choose from the two on a per-player level.

To be honest, I choose avatars to make myself more recognisable in-game as well, and also based on the image too at times, in which having the avatar then represent the Warframe I am playing would kind of defeat that point. 

I think there is a more unique way to do that than just using avatars to represent the Warframe equipped. 

I personally don't like emblem idea, almost every game has it, and most of player created emblems just look bad and/or dirty (no offence to anyone) I don't want that for Warframe.

However avatar of the frame you're currently using would be a pretty welcome change. Maybe if you've bought an avatar pack already, you can choose one of the pictures to replace the regular one when you're playing that frame?

Edited by (PS4)Gaelic-_-Flame

So ingame you get represented by a picture, the picture doesn't represent you though does it? There are two mechanics an avatar should being; 

A: a unique picture that represents you. I should be able to see an image and instantly know the name. Currently; We have a million excalibros (I am the 99%) a fair few trinities; And a bunch of vile disgusting scrubs who'd go as low as to buy avatars (I kid, I kid) and yet even within the ranks of those plat-wasting-bourgeoisie scrubamites the avatars are not unique. That guy who paid for a banshee picture? Same banshee picture as a few thousand others. Love Rhino, but only when he's pink? Tough luck, you can't have that. 

This would be the greatest addition to Warframe since damage 2.0

I could finally draw a little Grineer face ingame and use it.

Limited framework of options? Yes.

Freedom to create whatever you want? Umm...no. I don't want someone "expressing their freedom" by throwing up an avatar of their own personal Organus Prime...and neither does DE's QA and legal depts.

Don't they normally come with a 'online interactions not rated' or something like that?