The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

They could make something that is influenced by those designs. And it wouldn't be the first time that DE has basically tried to make their version of someone else's character from someone else's game, and DE has been very open about doing that sort of thing in the past.

What would be the other time?

You're using a strawman here, just thought you should be aware of that.

You're ignoring the fact that the Tenno have a culture and that, with any culture, will have a differing depiction of what is what. Vehicles are actually a neat example to use. There are plenty of different automobile companies yet their products look quite different from other another company's.

The Tenno seem angry with that design. Are ye sure it's their cultural depiction.

Looks more like a design forced onto them.

And if is does look like a dragon, it looks like one of those rare reject species that no one cares for or wants to see.

Yeah fixd pls

NOw onto Chroma, i tink the upper helm is kindof wacky or something, and the textures seem meh, but i like him when he is not in derp pose

I DID say lore wise.. but maybe statistically speaking as well... we shall see

How much plat are we betting that he's one of the strongest if not the strongest? :P

By the look of it, I think Chroma will have his 2(3?) augments sold by Arbiters of Hexis and New Loka. He's with Loka because they are reminded of the ancient stories of dragons of Old Earth. He's with Arbiters because he's a friggin' Tenno Dragon. Very Traditional looking and shows what a Tenno is capable of.

Unrelated: His Mains in his Pokemon Team is composed of Kingdra and Dragalge

Sure, but this, I feel, is a case where "artistic" ideal went too far in the other extreme. For something as iconic as a "dragon" you can't really just throw something together and say "it's a dragon because i say it is". When making allusions to real life myths (an oxymoron, I know) or other culturally significant archetypes it is important to keep it grounded in the original concept. Otherwise, why bother using the namesake in the first place? I can see where some people might get the idea that it is a combination of many ideas, but for me it is too far of a departure into weirdness that I cannot see it as a dragon. To me it is a random thing created by the devs that should be given its own classification so that a more recognizable dragon design can one day become a real thing (within the game at least).

And then you'll have people complaining about how the frame obviously looks like a dragon, just like they complained with Mesa and Limbo.

You see? There's no win-win scenario here.

Because then it'd be a prime example of having no creativity. If they were to take both the theme and the designs from the Chromatic Dragons from D&D then it'd just lead to DE having no style for themselves. 

Also legal complications could arise from taking their appearance as well.

Moreso, they stated they'd take MULTIPLE dragon types for the design. They NEVER said it would be mythology only. The head has a slight eastern feel (Looking closely, it's a thinner eastern dragon snout mixed with sea horse) and body itself is also a mix. It's power is based of chromatic dragons since they count as well.

Also that other helmet looks just as dumb. Infact if they went western but all dragon parts were in the same place in the same way it'd look dumb.

Maybe a dragon based warframe just looks dumb when you put the two concepts together and it's not just Dragonknight Power Armor. It looks no more infested then then Excal, Volt, or Saryn. Looks to be made out of the same material as them to me.

What would be the other time?

Influence from Devil May Cry. Influence from Diablo. Those are the two references I remember the devs making in past livestreams as influences for designs and features of warframe.

The Tenno seem angry with that design. Are ye sure it's their cultural depiction.

Looks more like a design forced onto them.

And if is does look like a dragon, it looks like one of those rare reject species that no one cares for or wants to see.

Except I'm not referring to real-life events when I speak of the Tenno.

Sure, but this, I feel, is a case where "artistic" ideal went too far in the other extreme. For something as iconic as a "dragon" you can't really just throw something together and say "it's a dragon because i say it is". When making allusions to real life myths (an oxymoron, I know) or other culturally significant archetypes it is important to keep it grounded in the original concept. Otherwise, why bother using the namesake in the first place? I can see where some people might get the idea that it is a combination of many ideas, but for me it is too far of a departure into weirdness that I cannot see it as a dragon. To me it is a random thing created by the devs that should be given its own classification so that a more recognizable dragon design can one day become a real thing (within the game at least).

You kinda tripped up by saying "important to keep it grounded in the original concept" What original concept? Do you know how many cultures dragons have appeared in? Taking many forms  and features? 

On top of that dragon's are not real. How they are created is solely based on the creator and its culture-based cues. Nothing is set in stone. 

Influence from Devil May Cry. Influence from Diablo. Those are the two references I remember the devs making in past livestreams as influences for designs and features of warframe.

Now I'm curious as to which warframe those to apply to...because I see absolutely nothing in any of the frames that can confirm this.

Except no one really cares for the ugly side of Tenno culture. They prefer it stay dead and buried...

Saying that no one really cares for it is kind of reaching out there. There's no definitive proof stating that everyone thinks Chroma is ugly and should therefore be replaced.