Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

1. He doesn't have a snout.

2. He's not fat.

3. He's a body of armor that is meant to flip and swing around while being in combat, this isn't an anime his design fits his function.

4. Then it takes an extremist to know one. I guess someone has to combat the people who get on these forums blasting everything without even letting them fully come to life first. 

That's the best way I could think of to indicate what part of his head I was referring to.

Yes, he is. He also has terrible posture that makes him look even chunkier.

No, it really doesn't. Body of armor and 'flip and swing around' do not go together. His design does not inherently convey (to me) that he is meant to be agile.

Once a frame is released it is pretty much impossible to get DE to change anything (that isn't deemed a bug) about that frame, see Trinity's butt flap.

Oh please. The 'wings' are just part of the design as the ring around trinity's head is a halo. Why aren't you looking for her wings since she's clearly an angel. Hm. 

What ring around Trinity's head? Are you talking about her toilet bowl alt helm? Trinity has been out for a while and DE has refused to revise her design numerous times.

That's 350% your opinion. 

I think they fit the fact that he's a body of armor that needs to flip around and be agile while remaining reasonably small and not having his wings hook on things (logically speaking) while he's fighting. 

We can go on all day b o y z.

How are wings that small and stumpy meant to be functional? If your answer is 'space magic' why even bother having those stumps in the first place? And the pics I see of him only really indicate that he has one stump. I don't see two...

Mythologically speaking not all dragon's flew, and not all dragon's needed wings to fly!

I didn't just call them armor what are you talking about? lol

The what's the point in even including those stumps/that stump (I only see one in the pics I've been shown)? IMO it doesn't look cool so the rule of cool doesn't apply.

Mythologically speaking not all dragon's flew, and not all dragon's needed wings to fly!

Those are 99% of time Eatern dragons, which are said to have mystical might that allow them to fly.

And I'm not the only one, I know that much, but I don't see any trace of an eastern dragon in Chroma.

I didn't just call them armor what are you talking about? lol

"body of armor" < I think that's what he's referring to.

It's got a tail, it's got wings, it breaths fire, and it's red. Looks like a dragon to me

I assume you call the dangly bit in the back that doesn't look like a tail it's tail?

Well then, limbo has two.

Wings? Lumps. They resemble wings as much as it resembles a dragon.

Breathes fire? GG, argument over, can't top that.

Hahahah, really. Nothing can breath fire except dragons? Nothing?

Shoulder guards are not wings, and it's not limited to breathing fire.

Not refering to those. it's got very small, very. .. what's the word. .. our appendix is the same. . .Vestigial wings on it's back. Or as wingy as you'd obviously get on a warframe design

I assume you call the dangly bit in the back that doesn't look like a tail it's tail?

Well then, limbo has two.

Wings? Lumps. They resemble wings as much as it resembles a dragon.

Breathes fire? GG, argument over, can't top that.

Hahahah, really. Nothing can breath fire except dragons? Nothing?

Yes, he does actually, he has two coattails.

Read response to other person.

Oh, sorry, let me look up another animal that breathes fire. . . .Huh, chimera did apparently.

Edited by TyrantBelial

As long as I can use pink or blue energy colors on chroma I'm happy.

you certainly can. but as Enemies go further on, Damage Types become more and more important.

so then, once you get to the later part of the Balance trend, you have a choice.

successfully complete the Lv45 Mission with the right Damage Type (or complete it several times easier), or Cosmetically look the way you want to look?

you can't have both.

Nice work with avoiding the point entirely and nitpicking like a sod.

Good to know you're not up for formulating a decent response.

what are you talking about.

i said Cosmetics in my post, i only said Cosmetics. you decided that Cosmetics has to mean additions to your Character via items.

Cosmetics refers to anything related to appearance.

you also look like a fool that you Edited your Post to backpedal and narrow the category to something that is not the topic of this thread.

if you'd like to argue with random people about what a Cosmetic item is, go to Off Topic.

Let's see how it plays out for Chroma and if it is a bad design move, then we need to make sure it doesn't become a returning thing where new frames and weapons get bonuses or playstyle changes based on colors and appearance.

i have little intention of being a bad enough customer to let Digital Extremes make this mistake.

this game matters too much, Digital Extremes matters too much for me to just watch them make a mistake that we know is a mistake.

Edited by taiiat

horse voice,

Truly the end will be neigh for me before DE delivers.

However, I think by now people are seeing my point. The idea of a Dragon / "Dragonborn" akin to this is actually fairly modern and - when it comes to Western Dragons - you would be hard pressed to find art of that nature older than the last hundred-or-so years compared to the varieties I've been spamming. Heck, some of the images I provided were even or based on major works of their time.

Does this mean that Endrian's art is wrong or bad? Not at all, I quite like it even. But to say that Chroma is wrong because it doesn't conform to similar Western Dragon norms when the norms being toted around are a relatively recent development (an example of a Dragon from the 1800's)? Have people not paid attention to the changes in western dragons over the centuries?

Cosmetics referring to cosmetic items. That's what pretty much everyone I've met in the game refers to them as.

Are you @(*()&#036; serious? Cosmetics include makeup. Colours = Makeup = Cosmetics.

Also if non arcane cosmetics become relevant, then I want my Pyra Prime to add 100% Fire Damage to all my Abilities.

No. After I saw Chroma for the first time I thought for myself: That looks so bad, that I will never use him anyways. Why does an ugly frame get a passive ability, that might make him look more S#&amp;&#036;ty?

Dragons are majestic Creatures that mean balance. Chinese Dragons are ugly and mean RNG. Seriously.

In my eyes all Chinese Dragons are ugly. Yes ALL. I am a Dragon Racist. Deal with it. Chinese Things cannot be cool or badass. Well if pollution is badass when it kills people, that is different,

But - no. SCREW REASONS. Chroma looks bad. Cosmetics+Stats=Horrible.

Edited by NinjaDog

Not refering to those. it's got very small, very. .. what's the word. .. our appendix is the same. . .Vestigial wings on it's back. Or as wingy as you'd obviously get on a warframe design

While it does have a tail, like millions of species on Earth do, it does not have wings at all on its back.

Again, I refer to Smaug's artwork. Alternatively, since people are going on about the hoopla of "It doesn't look like a real Dragon", I eagerly await DE changing the design to something more like this, or these. Maybe if really lucky we'll get something like this.

Except most of the vocal community seemed to be assuming that Chroma would be taking inspiration from Eastern Dragons, not Smaug. And all three of those are hideous, but slightly more tolerable than Anteater-man.

The Tenno culture. The Skana's codex description refers to Tenno culture in the final sentence. Every car shares similarities just as every dragon might. 

We don't know much of anything about tenno culture. And from what I understand, Tenno didn't design their suits.

First thing that came to mind when I saw this wasn't dragon, it was a nekro type frame.  Looks like an infested, with rotting flesh hanging off it and a horses skull for a hat.

I expected scales or something instead of what look slike braids and the head should of been imposing or dragon like, that just looks odd to me.

I'll probably still play the frame but it doesn't have a badass design to me at all really :(

While it does have a tail, like millions of species on Earth do, it does not have wings at all on its back.

One, sec, gotta find the pic, at the very beginning of the gif of it breathing fire, you get a good look at what is meant to be vestigial wings.

Vo8TLt8.png

Ok here it is, you see the wings (Well, can only see the one wing at this angle) are on it's back but also start connected to the shoulder bone. They are very clearly meant to represent vestigial wings. In the same pic it's tail looks far more tailish, even if it's tail doesn't taper off.

Edit: Another thing I notice about it and theorize, but is simply IMO. The parts of it that appear small or weak, are the major parts of what is considered a dragon, the head, wings, and somewhat tail. Maybe, lorewise, it;'s purposeful defamatory proganda from the orokin on Old Earth myths to beef up their own ego?

Edited by TyrantBelial

Except most of the vocal community seemed to be assuming that Chroma would be taking inspiration from Eastern Dragons, not Smaug. And all three of those are hideous, but slightly more tolerable than Anteater-man.

We don't know much of anything about tenno culture. And from what I understand, Tenno didn't design their suits.

The Orokin-esque Prime Warframes don't necessarily mean the Tenno themselves did not have a hand in designing something. The Prime Warframes are likely Warframes that the original 'Tenno' donned. Lore speculation aside, they do have a culture which may not be the most obvious at times, but it is still present.

Perhaps, but even looking at Eastern Dragons there remain examples of exceptionally long and narrow snouts.

That's a pretty short snout; Only part of it is narrow. Chroma's 'snout' bears a striking resemblance to an anteater or seahorse's snout.

The Orokin-esque Prime Warframes don't necessarily mean the Tenno themselves did not have a hand in designing something. The Prime Warframes are likely Warframes that the original 'Tenno' donned. Lore speculation aside, they do have a culture which may not be the most obvious at times, but it is still present.

But nothing in the lore even remotely hints at Tenno designing their suits, while Rhino prime's lore sorta (depends on your interpretation) hints at their suits being designed around their bodies). ie- http://i.imgur.com/mk3bjON.jpg

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

That's a pretty short snout; Only part of it is narrow. Chroma's 'snout' bears a striking resemblance to an anteater or seahorse's snout.

Well when you think about it, it's not inconceivable why they'd choose that kind of snout. I remember once thinking seahorses could shoot water of those snouts, so to me, it's not strange to see someone use that kind of snout as a way of breathing fire. 

you also look like a fool that you Edited your Post to backpedal and narrow the category to something that is not the topic of this thread.

if you'd like to argue with random people about what a Cosmetic item is, go to Off Topic.

I edited it to specify since you apparently didn't get the idea.

Those are 99% of time Eatern dragons, which are said to have mystical might that allow them to fly.

And I'm not the only one, I know that much, but I don't see any trace of an eastern dragon in Chroma.

Um what? Lol there were sea dragons that ruled over sea rather than land/air. 

Both not eastern dragons. 

Aso Chroma is very oriental and ornamented WHILE being armored and given a twinge of warfare's theme. I think it's come to the point where we can claim Chroma is a very original design. Unless someone can post another game/image of something/someone being designed very similarly to Chroma without being funny and linking a sea horse.

"body of armor" < I think that's what he's referring to.

Yea I said he is a body of armor when I mentioned wings twice in that sentence I referred to them as wings, not armor...

I mean, we sort of already knew what this new frame was like as of a few devstreams ago. I disagree that energy color is somehow sacred and should only be whatever color you want it to be at any given point, regardless of powers.

'Cosmetics' is definitely not the word to use here, as this is just energy color. That is all. Not some gross conspiracy against the user and their personal color choices regarding energy color.

But nothing in the lore even remotely hints at Tenno designing their suits, while Rhino prime's lore sorta (depends on your interpretation) hints at their suits being designed around their bodies). ie- http://i.imgur.com/mk3bjON.jpg

Nothing within the lore states that they didn't design their suits, either. Rhino could have been an instance in which one of the Tenno had become very upset with the current situation. While the other Tenno, not necessarily ones that were afflicted by the Void, could have lent a hand in the designs.