Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

kkf8Wpg.gif

Still a badass. Dragons are fictional creatures guys, so they can vary in appearance. Sometimes it is very drastic from what we typically see. If you played the old playstation game "Legend of Dragoon" you'd see what i mean.

Edited by EmptyDevil

First, the OP is right that dragons are featured in many cultures and their understanding changes with said culture. 

The dragon is the archetypal power of nature/fear icon as put forth by many legends and folklore that described "something unknown that was scary"

Much of English (actually it was french, but that's another topic) folklore concerning dragons had them because that was the craziest, scariest, thing anyone could think up at the time. The only thing scarier were wolves in much of Europe as bears are mostly found in the U.S. 

Wolves were hunted to near extinction due to their ability to KILL US. As such, the mythos of sea monsters and dragons were what was left to have as big confrontational forces of nature in iconography. 

the point I'm getting at: what do the tenno fear? 

1: grindwalls

2: the techno-cite virus

3: The sentients (maybe, but last time we kinda murdered them as far as the lore can tell)

chroma is indicative of the number 2 spot as he takes many aspects of the technocite virus creatures into his design (another post i read said chroma was the name of an enemy type in dark sector, regardless of whether or not that is cannon) To a tenno he is a element spewing representation of what the tenno fear. If 4 tenno are in a room the chroma is probably the one the one they are going to slowly lean away from. 

except he is on our side. which is handy.

I'm glad it doesn't look like a Dragon... One of the things I disliked about Mesa and Limbo especially is they looked like they belonged in another game. This frame looks uniquely Warframe.

THAT IS A VERY GOOD POINT!

"Awwww! Limbo looks like a magician! This is bullS#&$!"

"Awwwww! Mesa looks like a cowgirl! This is bullS#&$!"

"What the Hell! Chroma Doesn't look like a dragon???? THIS IS BULLS#&$!"

DE, stop trying to please these people. It'll never work for you.

There we go. 

People complained that recent frames weren't abstract enough, and now they're complaining this one is too abstract.

Can't win on the forums I guess.

Once again, we wanted a classical dragon, not this.

Thank you. DE said that they were making a frame that the community really wanted. Well, the members of the community who asked for a dragon frame (I was not one of those members) asked for a traditional dragon, and DE knew that. They should have NEVER said that they were doing something the community repeatedly asked for, because this isn't what the community asked for. And that's the biggest issue. It doesn't matter whether or not someone wants to consider this a dragon, or even whether it looks super good or not. DE was not honest with the design, and they hyped it as something that the community long-waited for. That's the issue here. It's DE once again overhyping something that the community really doesn't want.

So yes, the "blame" if there is any is on DE for misrepresenting what they were actually making, not the community for having expectations. Because, according to DE, they were making what the community was expecting/asking for.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

This is literally the exact same process that happens with every single warframe release, everyone that doesn't like it comes to the forums and complain then everyone else is usually either likes it or doesn't care about aesthetics. The cycle continues. 

No, the community pressed for a dragon frame. We wanted a dragon - something that looks and feels like one. Chroma does not fit this description and is thus disappointing.

But there are SO many types of dragons that pinpointing one type to represent all dragons is impossible. It's not just western or eastern but there are all kinds of serpents and draconic entities. Dragon is a very vague concept

Its like beetles. No one beetle can represent every beetle in the world but if I showed you a beetle you would know what it was without flaw

No, the community pressed for a dragon frame. We wanted a dragon - something that looks and feels like one. Chroma does not fit this description and is thus disappointing.

Seems like an eastern dragon to me. Just because it's not an OP bahamut or tiamat doesn't mean it isn't a dragon. Sounds to me like you are forcing your western civilization on DE a bit. 

I can call a flower a dragon. That doesn't make it a dragon, does it.

If they were going to design it off of a seahorse, why does it breath fire?

The design is abstract, the powers are going to be based off a large variety of various mythological dragon powers - including the Eastern Dragon association with luck. It's not JUST going to be a firebreathing monstrosity.

dude u really dont get it what im trying to point out forget it

You use an example of how we all see a sea dragon when it isn't a dragon at all.

Yet we're not allowed to show how obvious the inspiration it is behind it when a seahorse is involved and how it can be connected to dragon.

I have been largely ignoring the hype around the new 'frame, so first looks on Chroma's design are mostly devoid of expectation.

It's certainly different from anything we've had in the past. More beast-like in appearance than any other 'frame I can think of. Not sure on the elongated snout type thing... but heck it might even change before it's released.

I've been hoping for a 'frame with an Infested-themed appearance for a while, so am quite excited just off that.