Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

I rather see them completely remake it. It looks terrible beyond repair, and there is nothing that can even be savaged from it in my opinion.

I want DE to take a fan-concept and make that the design instead. There is thousands of awesome dragon inspired Warframe ideas in the concepts forum. Use of those, this. THIS is horrid. And I literally just saw this design 3 minutes ago and I know it will never grow on me.

I'm glad it doesn't look like a Dragon... One of the things I disliked about Mesa and Limbo especially is they looked like they belonged in another game. This frame looks uniquely Warframe.

THAT IS A VERY GOOD POINT!

"Awwww! Limbo looks like a magician! This is bullS#&$!"

"Awwwww! Mesa looks like a cowgirl! This is bullS#&$!"

"What the Hell! Chroma Doesn't look like a dragon???? THIS IS BULLS#&$!"

DE, stop trying to please these people. It'll never work for you.

There we go. 

People complained that recent frames weren't abstract enough, and now they're complaining this one is too abstract.

Can't win on the forums I guess.

I feel that "Chroma" looks ugly AF. Even the name is unfitting for a 'dragon' frame. Heck, none of him looks anywhere near 'dragon-esqe'. If the devs are gonna hype a 'dragon frame' at least give us something that looks like a 'dragon frame', not an infested pile of bile.

I think DE needs to rework him. Endrian's concept for a dragon frame, while generic-looking, still looks badass, and reflects that 'dragon' vibe. We need a badass-looking male warframe, since the last two male warframes look pretty flimsy (Limbo looks fragile and over-flamboyant, and Hydroid just looks laden-down with flubber). That was why Endrian's concept art was so well-received.

I understand that people don't want a generic-looking warframe. However, it does not mean the devs should just mess it completely up. At least still make it look like a bloody dragon while reflecting its own unique qualities. Don't tell me that such a professional game dev team like DE can't come up with an original concept without changing the entire definition of the term 'dragon.'

How to fix this sinking concept:

-Call it infested fire spitter or something warframe. Infested warframe would be accepted with open arms. Then make a new frame that's more "dragon" than that thing.

Edited by kiteohatto

usual complains about the other models is that their themes are very obvious, adding scales, wings and a more recognisable dragon head would be exaclty that, I think Minky is becoming very good at doing designs we do not expect, he heard our complains on Limbo, and throwed something bizarre at us this time.

really think you people are going over the top with only a few seconds of footage and a still shot of the frame.  you have no idea how it will look when it's moving or whether the energy color might have an impact on it's appearance, etc.. ridiculous to jump to judgement so quickly. 

I hate to add fuel to the fire but.. argh. I had high hopes, and they fell. I'm trying to be mature about it, but every time I look at it I'm just disappointed. The entire reveal felt flacid; a short animation, a still, a handful of words and on to the next topic. The extra strike of specifically not wanting to go with an angry European dragon was especially upsetting, because that's what I wanted. I want another large frame of Rhino's statue, and a dragon fits that mold extremely well.

Complaining ultimately won't change anything, but I can't keep the sense of disappointment down. I'll still get the frame because he has a spot sitting and ready, but.. it was both the part of the stream I was most excited for and the part that let me down the hardest. It's going to take a while to get over it.

I'm going to post this in General Discussion now because of the recent influx of people coming here to talk about Chroma's unusual design after the livestream. However, moderators, if you see fit, please feel free to move this to a more "proper" section.

I really need to admit that Chroma's design was nothing like I expected. However, I now even more greatly respect the DE art team for a number of reasons; I'll explain why.

My view from all this is that they probably went through a TON of designs internally, but settled on this one for some as of yet unknown reason. My best guess is the following: they used this design because of how... well, incredibly cliche dragons are now in popular media. Think about it: dragons are the one thing that everyone can paint a picture onto. Sure, there are a ton of different ways to interpret the dragon archetype, but most (if not all) people have a preconceived notion of what the dragon theme "should" cater to. Wings, the elements, scales, all that. The difference here is that literally NONE of the previous warframes, at their release, have been subject to that preconceived bias. They've all been based not on a relatively fixed-in-scope mythological creature, but on an abstract concept or a physical force. All of the previous Warframes offered a kind of external "acceptance freedom" in their visual design because there was no one thing that the community could possibly expect out of them in unison (for example, Mesa, based around the gunslinger theme [which is an abstract one] could have taken visual inspiration from any number of sources other than the Wild West theme. Hydroid is an even better example of this.). Overall, now I find myself even more respecting of DE's creative sources because they dared to go OUTSIDE of an over-established cliche and forge their own path with this new concept. It seems risky, but it's great. It's like spitting in the face of negative inspiration and saying "hey, art is about creation, not emulation or dogma!". So, I think that this new frame is taking DE's creative side in a great direction in addition to simply highlighing the reasons why the Warframe community is so in love with the game's art assets -- DE makes ORIGINAL stuff, not cliche stuff (at least in terms of their warframe designs).

And to those who utterly hate Chroma's aethetics regardless, believing that he should look more like a "true dragon frame": read what I had to say above, and consider this -- I for one (and I know I am not the only one) was initially drawn to Warframe not because of its overarching concept or its slough of warframes to choose from. It was the incredibly unique art style which hooked me, and the resounding freedom from cliches and tropes that that art style conveyed. Of course everyone is entirely free to have their opinion on how "good" Chroma or other future warframes or how the game looks (including me), but I think that when you take away all the cliches and expectations and think about Chroma as a "dragon frame" without any latched-on assumptions, he looks damn interesting and cool. DE has always been great at taking a concept and remoulding it into something new, at least in my eyes.

My two cents. Feel free to agree or disagree; I just thought I'd give some food for thought.