Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

Yeah its so original IT DOESN'T EVEN LOOK LIKE A DRAGON THAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DESIGNED OFF OF!

They concept art of the orignal looked like a scaly rhino. I'd take current frame.

And you know this how ?

At least if people don't accept this thing and voice their opinion that they don't like it then DE will be forced to "reconsider" creating "wtf is this" concepts.

DE won't be forced into doing nothing. Wait for the frame to be released.

Edited by cozzi21

I'm not entirely sure what to think yet, it'll depend a lot on the in-game animations I think.

What I can say however, that the first impression I got from Chroma was that it has a really strong Infested vibe going. And that's certainly a good thing, because that makes it look animalistic and beastly more than any other Warframe we've seen yet.

No, you are just trying to have an excuse for yourself that DE is fine to make decisions like that. How would you feel if every warframe that comes after this thing is even more sick(ill) and disfigured looking than the last ?

That's very bold of you to claim that. It's their character, their rules. What's done is done and that's how I feel on the warframe. No excuses.

I'm going to post this in General Discussion now because of the recent influx of people coming here to talk about Chroma's unusual design after the livestream. However, moderators, if you see fit, please feel free to move this to a more "proper" section.

I really need to admit that Chroma's design was nothing like I expected. However, I now even more greatly respect the DE art team for a number of reasons; I'll explain why.

My view from all this is that they probably went through a TON of designs internally, but settled on this one for some as of yet unknown reason. My best guess is the following: they used this design because of how... well, incredibly cliche dragons are now in popular media. Think about it: dragons are the one thing that everyone can paint a picture onto. Sure, there are a ton of different ways to interpret the dragon archetype, but most (if not all) people have a preconceived notion of what the dragon theme "should" cater to. Wings, the elements, scales, all that. The difference here is that literally NONE of the previous warframes, at their release, have been subject to that preconceived bias. They've all been based not on a relatively fixed-in-scope mythological creature, but on an abstract concept or a physical force. All of the previous Warframes offered a kind of external "acceptance freedom" in their visual design because there was no one thing that the community could possibly expect out of them in unison (for example, Mesa, based around the gunslinger theme [which is an abstract one] could have taken visual inspiration from any number of sources other than the Wild West theme. Hydroid is an even better example of this.). Overall, now I find myself even more respecting of DE's creative sources because they dared to go OUTSIDE of an over-established cliche and forge their own path with this new concept. It seems risky, but it's great. It's like spitting in the face of negative inspiration and saying "hey, art is about creation, not emulation or dogma!". So, I think that this new frame is taking DE's creative side in a great direction in addition to simply highlighing the reasons why the Warframe community is so in love with the game's art assets -- DE makes ORIGINAL stuff, not cliche stuff (at least in terms of their warframe designs).

And to those who utterly hate Chroma's aethetics regardless, believing that he should look more like a "true dragon frame": read what I had to say above, and consider this -- I for one (and I know I am not the only one) was initially drawn to Warframe not because of its overarching concept or its slough of warframes to choose from. It was the incredibly unique art style which hooked me, and the resounding freedom from cliches and tropes that that art style conveyed. Of course everyone is entirely free to have their opinion on how "good" Chroma or other future warframes or how the game looks (including me), but I think that when you take away all the cliches and expectations and think about Chroma as a "dragon frame" without any latched-on assumptions, he looks damn interesting and cool. DE has always been great at taking a concept and remoulding it into something new, at least in my eyes.

My two cents. Feel free to agree or disagree; I just thought I'd give some food for thought.

I completely agree with this looking at Chroma i see a resemblance to the Chinese Style dragons or with a styling semblance towards DBZ Shenron at least in the helmet. DEScott said in the stream that he wanted a different feel than the "European Style" Dragons and I really think once i can mess with his colors and some attachments to him he will be even more amazing! DE i give you props on this i was kinda nervous that he would look like your everyday Joe...errrrrr Dragon. 

And you know this how ?

At least if people don't accept this thing and voice their opinion that they don't like it then DE will be forced to "reconsider" creating "wtf is this" concepts.

I'll say this again: DE can do whatever the hell it wants. It is the sole owner of this IP and nothing (let alone these forums!) can directly change that or "force" DE to do anything they don't want to do. The forums are here for feedback, ideas, and discussion.

...I kind of like the fact he has a tail...

Still a bit leery of the Energy Colour mechanic because of many many bad experiences with similar things...but here's hoping. I'm reserving judgement till we get some more input, really.

And, personally, I like that Mynki (if this is more of his work) is willing to be so unconventional with his designs. Refreshing really. I've got one memory of a dragon design similar to this, and that's it. Granted, a Coatl would have been nice, but, hey, I like being surprised.

Now I just hope that he may be fun to use. Still yet to find a Male frame I really enjoy using other than Oberon. I'm admittedly warming up to an Ironclad Rhino but...Oberon is still my main guy. After seven main females...

Regardless...Tail~

the reveals only shows a very tiny part of what it is, i have experienced the "ohh this is terrible" and when it inplemented in the game its actualy quite nice, srly nobody would put so much effort on something that people will hate, and in my case, i like its uniqueness

We're arguing about looks, not about gameplay.

Chill your fanboyisms.

Yeah its so original IT DOESN'T EVEN LOOK LIKE A DRAGON THAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DESIGNED OFF OF!

Consider popular culture and mythology both share the idea of a sea horse being a dragon. Yes it does look like a dragon.

The other idea is that if we look at each part of the frame individualy we see that it isn't just one dragon but combination of dragons from different cultures and various myths within those cultures.

Define "normal".

Humanoid.  No snout.  No jowls.  No protrusive mandibles.  No "mouth".

How many other frames have a mouth? ... Hmm.  I might just have to go to the wiki for that one.

Edited by Thaumatos

I'll say this again: DE can do whatever the hell it wants. It is the sole owner of this IP and nothing (let alone these forums!) can directly change that or "force" DE to do anything they don't want to do. The forums are here for feedback, ideas, and discussion.

That's cool, but they are a company that wants to make a profit. If consumers stop liking what they make then they will be losing sales. You can't fix that amount of ugly with an alt helmet or an immortal skin.

Saying that, im going to take my money else where now.

No point in arguing with white knights who accept every DE decision as something holy and eat up everything DE throws at them.

Edited by kiteohatto

I'm not entirely sure what to think yet, it'll depend a lot on the in-game animations I think.

What I can say however, that the first impression I got from Chroma was that it has a really strong Infested vibe going. And that's certainly a good thing, because that makes it look animalistic and beastly more than any other Warframe we've seen yet.

If it looks like something other than a dragon then they are doing it wrong. 

Consider popular culture and mythology both share the idea of a sea horse being a dragon. Yes it does look like a dragon.

The other idea is that if we look at each part of the frame individualy we see that it isn't just one dragon but combination of dragons from different cultures and various myths within those cultures.

Since when in pop culture is a seahorse a goddamn dragon!?

Heh. Infested flamethrowing anteater. Interesting...

Wait is that supposed to be a dragon? That's a dragon? I want to know what kind of dragon the designers had in mind when they made this guy. Although I guess I'm kinda thankful they made something that doesn't have clothy appearance like Mesa or Limbo.

We just gotta wait and see how his abilities perform. And hope he doesn't require too much waiting to get...