The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nerfing Nova For The Sake Of Challenging Missions.

Archaic_

DISCLAIMER: Going to get this off my chest to begin with - the title isn't meant to be mean spirited but to grab the reader's attention of the threat Nova currently poses right now towards nearly any enemy in the game. 

Nova in her current state is too strong for end game content and the reason is obvious, Molecular Prime. An ability capable of slowing enemies at 30% and can be further increased to a whopping 75% reduction to all movement is a bit exaggerating. Now before I get replies with "Leave her alone", "No more nerfs!", "She's fine", you have to come in terms that people also seek a challenge when playing and if anything, it should be implemented into practically any game. Competition is human nature, and so a challenge is presented as well. I would also like players to participate in any high level defense/survival mission with a Nova modded to do so (That is if you haven't before). 

Playing past wave 50 of defense shouldn't be as easy as the first few waves. An ability that applies crowd control and yet a 2x damage multiplier to enemies affected by it is a tad bit extreme so my simple suggestion for a nerf would be a 20-30% fixed slow (meaning you wouldn't be able to change this value depending on your power strength) and retain to possibly accelerate the wave of anti-matter that applies the debuffs. Nova still has Anti-Matter Drop that can be used in conjunction to obliterate groups of enemies and a few adjustments to Null Star to even things out in her kit. 

All in all, I do tend to think some crows control abilities are a tad bit strong and yes I did acknowledge Nullifiers while typing this. I find that Nova in her current state is capable of speaking for herself.

EDIT: Please don't resort to saying things like "Well, don't play Nova" or "Leave when a Nova joins" - How does that solve the issue? Ignoring things as they come isn't how problems are resolved and I do appreciate the replies with proper feedback on this topic, thank you. 

Edited by Maruko_

i think i'd be in the camp that says that many other Abilities are too single purposed, while Molecular Prime has multiple purposes.

so then the problem is that quite a few Abilities are only good for one thing, and one thing only. when they should be more interesting than that. 

as a genius of a man would say (Alton Brown) - a tool with only a single possible use has no place in my kitchen.

Now before I get replies with "Leave her alone", "No more nerfs!", "She's fine", you have to come in terms that people also seek a challenge when playing and if anything, it should be implemented into practically any game. 

Leave her alone.

No more nerfs.

She's fine.

You want a challenge? Don't play nova/have nova in your group. There's no need to ruin a perfectly good frame for everyone. Just because you don't feel challenged when playing doesn't mean everyone else isn't either.

Edited by Grander.Alderman

...don't play nova?

And play solo mode for the rest of the game, or Invite Only with a strict ban on seeing Nova played, or leaving any Public matches in which a Nova appears.

I don't agree with the OP's reasoning, nor with the conclusion to nerf Nova, but this particular train of logic can only go so far when you're trying to avoid the effects of a particular frame or ability in your matches.

She was massively buffed

Ive actually had a group leave on me because nova made the T 4 defense too easy 40 waves in

Shes too powerful as is

Saying dont play is is a terrible argument as well

Thats just limiting and gimping yourself to make up for bad design

If you want a good argument you have to show how and why nova isnt overpowered

My opinion is: you are looking for challenge? Take other frame, or don't take a nova in your squad. Remember she is still squishy, so she is not so powerfull. Why nerfing a frame again? People complaining that something is so OP, will make that everything will be nerfed at one moment. Just play as you like.

We already did this actually. Nova used to apply MPrime to it's full AoE INSTANTLY and did not have to travel. The forums blew up when they nerfed it, too. Currently, both slow improving (power strength) corrupted mods also hurt the power and the bonus damage is only +50%(1.5x) not +100%.(2x).

Having played Nova in T4S just recently I don't really feel like it made the game too easy, hah. The enemies don't just plop down 500 guys for your to MPrime once and snag them all. It spawns them continuously and at very close proximity past about 25min. I use a spammy build and power restore packs, when certain people don't make me use them all up,

IMHO, enemies killed while CC'd should be less likely to drop power globes and enemies killed by damage powers should have ZERO chance to drop a power globe. If power is supposed to be the gate, that's really the only way it makes sense to me. At the high end in endless content it doesn't really matter because for END GAME you should be using every system to your advantage, including restore packs.

I'm posting from work and was distracted twice while typing this. I see there are eight new posts since I started. Sorry if this post is redundant. ^^

IF YOU WOULD HAVE EVEN BOTHERED playing long enough into defense or survival u will see that past a certain level/stage molecular prime no longer slows them down

would that also be past the point where Endless Missions stop giving you rewards?

because that's like going a hundred million miles from a central point in a Procedural Terrain Generator and saying "see it's not perfect, it breaks here, 250,000Km from 0,0,0!!"

My opinion is: you are looking for challenge? Take other frame, or don't take a nova in your squad. Remember she is still squishy, so she is not so powerfull. Why nerfing a frame again? People complaining that something is so OP, will make that everything will be nerfed at one moment. Just play as you like.

Keep in mind she slows enemy movement and fire by 75% within 80 meters for 30 seconds on top of other effects

Youre not considering her ability to mitigate damage at all

IF YOU WOULD HAVE EVEN BOTHERED playing long enough into defense or survival u will see that past a certain level/stage molecular prime no longer slows them down

Do you have proof for this?

Where is this point?

That doesnt change that her slow is too powerful either

She's a Glass Cannon?

She's a mage. Not all mages are glass cannons. Having a massive PBAoE slow, movement power, automatic defensive blast proc shooter and one nuke is not a glass cannon kit. Ember is a glass cannon. She has only minor CC attached to three damage powers and a resist debuff with slightly less minor CC. :P

would that also be past the point where Endless Missions stop giving you rewards?

because that's like going a hundred million miles from a central point in a Procedural Terrain Generator and saying "see it's not perfect, it breaks here, 250,000Km from 0,0,0!!"

There's a half a dozen other ways to trivialize content, though. Loki + Booben, for example.

While we're at it, why don't we make Loki only half invisible? It's not a challenge going around, smashing people with a 4x Stealth Multiplier. And make Radial Disarm a timed thing.
Don't make Valkyr invincible while in Hysteria and take away her life steal.

Reduce Rhino's Iron Skin even further because invincivility isn't a challenge, and take away the stasis from Rhino Stomp

These Frames are made to be this way. If you nerf Nova's power, then you have to up her stats. Do you have any idea how squishy she is? She may be a glass cannon, but she's also made of glass. You seriously need to put a "Fragile. Do Not Drop" sticker on her, that's how squishy she is. So to counter her very poor stats, she has very strong powers. She doesn't need a nerf at all. If you can play Nova and make her a viable glass cannon in endless game modes and still live through all the punishment, then you deserve all that power.

aRYl2xD.png

Edited by PickleMonster21

While we're at it, why don't we make Loki only half invisible? It's not a challenge going around, smashing people with a 4x Stealth Multiplier. And make Radial Disarm a timed thing.

Don't make Valkyr invincible while in Hysteria and take away her life steal.

Reduce Rhino's Iron Skin even further because invincivility isn't a challenge, and take away the stasis from Rhino Stomp

These Frames are made to be this way. If you nerf Nova's power, then you have to up her stats. Do you have any idea how squishy she is? She may be a glass cannon, but she's also made of glass. You seriously need to put a "Fragile. Do Not Drop" sticker on her, that's how squishy she is. So to counter her very poor stats, she has very strong powers. She doesn't need a nerf at all. If you can play Nova and make her a viable glass cannon in endless game modes and still live through all the punishment, then you deserve all that power.

qJlqXaR.jpg

Again, She mitigates damage better than most every frame in the game on a  wider range on top of buffing damage and dealing even more damage

With Vitality and M prime alone she can rush down enemies 40 waves in fairly safely with melee

I think she is in a good state.

Although its nice you talk about her, she started it all, she was the first nerf that started so many others, and she was the only one needed back then.

If anything needs a serious big nerf is rhino, he is truly an exaggeration of power and the best stats of health and resistance.

Edited by 7grims

Damage mitigation, nova? Have you ever seen a nyx? THAT is damage mitigation. And while they are at it they attack each other. And if they do find you you just go into absorb and pull agro from your allies at the same time. A primed bombard may not have speed. But he still hurts like hell. Wont stop that with nova.

Damage mitigation, nova? Have you ever seen a nyx? THAT is damage mitigation. And while they are at it they attack each other. And if they do find you you just go into absorb and pull agro from your allies at the same time. A primed bombard may not have speed. But he still hurts like hell. Wont stop that with nova.

Chances are the bombard wont even have enough time to aim and fire at you with Nova

Not much of anything will for that matter

But on the subject of nyx. Shes one of the ones that can CC as well as Nova

But Nova also debuffs for damage and adds damage to both weapons and powers on top of her own damage from killing enemies

See, the thing is, No one is really forcing you to play Nova. No one is forcing your squad to use Nova. You could nerf Nova, and remove MPrime's uses, but what would that do? It essentially turns Nova into nothing but a Antimatter Drop spam user. And remember that it doesn't even work if you are a client. (3 Clients, 1 Host, most likely AMD won't work.) What are you suggesting is not "Balance Nova", but "Make her the worst frame in the game".