The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Silencer Mod?

Thrashhead

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/whats-the-difference-between-a-silencer-and-a-suppressor.196741233/

"A silencer is the Hollywood term for a suppressor, and a suppressor is used to reduce flash and noise. Nothing completely silences a gun, so technically silencer is an incorrect term, but it is used by the majority of the public."

The first patented suppressor was called a silencer by its inventor. Where's your proof that hollywood invented the term, and didn't just think it was cool and took out of of context (as they do with everything else)?

The first patented suppressor was called a silencer by its inventor. Where's your proof that hollywood invented the term, and didn't just think it was cool and took out of of context (as they do with everything else)?

Yes the first inventor called it a silencer but that term already was incorrect that's why it was eventually changed to suppressor. Silencer might have been "correct" in the past (which it already did not) but we are not living in the past anymore you know? You know how many years went past since the very first suppressor got invented?

Edited by R3leaZ

Yes the first inventor called it a silencer but that term already was incorrect that's why it was eventually changed to suppressor. Silencer might have been "correct" in the past (which it already did not) but we are not living in the past anymore you know? You know how many years went past since the very first suppressor got invented?

How does a word lose "correctness" if it's still in common use with the same meaning as when it started? This isn't like the word g-y, which has effectively completely changed meaning.

Edited by Argoms

How does a word lose "correctness" if it's still in common use with the same meaning as when it started? This isn't like the word g-y, which has effectively completely changed meaning.

It didn't lose correctness, the term itself was never correct. It was given that name but eventually changed to fit its real use.

Edited by R3leaZ

It didn't lose correctness, the term itself was never correct. It was given that name but eventually changed to fit its real use.

US law calls them silencers. Dictionary.com defines silencer as "a device for reducing the noise emitted by a gun or other loud mechanism" (similar for Oxford dictionary). I'm not saying it's a good word to use. I'm not saying that it's the only right word. I'm just saying that it isn't wrong. 

Edited by Argoms

US law calls them silencers. Dictionary.com defines silencer as "a device for reducing the noise emitted by a gun or other loud mechanism" (similar for Oxford dictionary). I'm not saying it's a good word to use. I'm not saying that it's the only right word. I'm just saying that it isn't wrong. 

I guess you're right but still :/ the term itself is wrong. People still do use the term itself I guess and everyone knows what you mean with 'silencer' but still you'd never hear that term in the military xD They would correct you if you did use it xD

People might find it a good term but in practical use the term would still be considered wrong xD Since a 'silencer' doesn't silence the gun. It's main purpose is reducing muzzle flash and sound as thus its rightful term is suppressor.

Edited by R3leaZ

TBH as good of an idea as this sounds it makes the banshee's silence ability become even more useless than it already is. If you don't have banshee in order to use the ability you could farm or buy it. I don't see why laziness should be a reason to ruin the mechanics of other warframes. The point of playing the mission with stealth is its supposed to be difficult adding a weapon mod that decreases the difficulty wouldn't make any sense. I do understand that the glaive and paris as well as loki and ash already make stealth missions pretty simple, but do we really need it to be any more simpler?

I think it's better to simply make Silence a weapon property only. A weapon is either innately silent, or will always make noise.  This would help avoid silly things like Gorgons mowing down people quietly (although it is amusing)... oh wait Silence heheh

Seriously...I followed this thread and 24 posts of NOTHING when I get back. Did you understand what he meant by silencer? YES YOU DID! for the love of god and by the unwritten law of Internet grammar - if you understand = it's fine - move on.

Can we get back to the point?

TBH as good of an idea as this sounds it makes the banshee's silence ability become even more useless than it already is. If you don't have banshee in order to use the ability you could farm or buy it. I don't see why laziness should be a reason to ruin the mechanics of other warframes. The point of playing the mission with stealth is its supposed to be difficult adding a weapon mod that decreases the difficulty wouldn't make any sense. I do understand that the glaive and paris as well as loki and ash already make stealth missions pretty simple, but do we really need it to be any more simpler?

This is just my thoughts but, IMO Silence is one of the most usless skills in the game. 99.9% of the time I won't even equip it. It just doesn't fit well into most of (my) gameplay. Also it just makes stealth to uniform. Having a silencer/suppressor (:P) would make gameplay more diverse. And if Banshee needs some work on her skills - HURRAY! - she does anyway.

My suggestion for this was, instead of a mod, a Surpression skin that adds a surpressor depending on the weapon. Sure, it may be clunkier to swap out unlike mods, but it'll be easier to regulate then setting it to a mod, where we'd see stuff like... Silenced Gorgon and Akfuris. Er...

100% Stealth missions are pretty hard to pull off, because you can only use melee, or the 'paris' bow. So I've been thinking a while about a 'silencer' mod, wich makes your weapon basicly a stealth weapon (but less gun and run?). The grakata (smg-like) is for example a great weapon for having this mod.

Shotguns and lmg-like weapons shouldn't be able to get this mod, but smg-like weapons and pistols are made for this kind of mod in this game.

Would love to see this in the future :)

You can't put a silencer on a shotgun. It will redefine the meaning Boom stick. 

Regardless, as a technical term it is still wrong. What he decided to call it as opposed to what it is, is different.

I can call em any nickname I want. Even if I got a bunch of people to call it, it would still be incorrect. In this case, if it's the product created , it's fine. It can have any name out there. But the general and proper term is suppressor for the function.

In the context it is used here the term suppressor applies.

Also the Mod should cost 0 mod points on a weapon because it really doesn't do anything to its stats except modifies the Alertness of your opponent  but then again it would be a pain to grind for a mod in an area just to have stealth when you could just pull out the bow. 

I SUPPORT SILENCED PISTOLS...

Seriously though...

I love stealth.

So sometimes I try to pull missions off without getting caught for as long as I can.

Never really do get far, because when I try to sneak up on one guy, another gets me.

It'd be so much more fun to just pop a silenced cap up in their arses.

There could be achievements for completing missions without getting caught too.

Something that'll make players get real into the game.

To earn rewards, and other things.

What do you guys think?