Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] How To Use Bb Code In The Forums.

Ced23Ric

Question

Oh hai! ~a lolcat waves several printed pages of forum threads.

You probably all know that we have a limited WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) editor for our posts. So, mhmm, sweet, we can make things bold, write in italics, underline it or strike it through. Or combine it to a crazy mess of font stuff. But what else can you do?

Well, pretty much everything. This forum uses what is called BB code. What is BB code? It's a simplified markup code that was born from the Bulletin Board, a fairly wide-used forum software. The code applied there became a standard, if you will, with many basic things covered and additional elements added by subsequent forum software based on or close to BB code and/or Bulletin Board.

So, where does this leave us? Awesome country. Read this. The majority of those tags can be used here. For example,

[list][*]1[*]2[*]3[/list]
Creates a list!

And

[url=http://example.com]Example[/url]
Creates a named link, just as I did up there to link to the Wiki-article on BB code. Another common thing is
[media]
... to embed YouTube videos.

And of course, the ever-important:

[img]http://www.ced23ric.de/stuff/wf/awesome.gif[/img]
... for images. ;)

awesome.gif

But, how do you know that it works out fine? Type your post, then hit Ctrl + A (mark all), Ctrl + C (copy) and paste it into notepad (Start > Run > notepad) with Ctrl + V. Then hit "More Reply Options" - it'll give a preview of your thread. Now, copy the saved text back in, fix any errors your code caused, and when you want to check again hit "Preview Post" - and if that looks as spankingly awesome as you like it, post it up, butter cup.

Hope this helps! :)

• Like 2

Warframe's forum is pretty permissive, although not very intuitive. There are several forums where embedding stuff is a big "no-no". I'm just glad that in here those are allowed, since there's only so much we can express with words alone =)

I'm pretty much this current iteration of the forum won't last long, and soon we'll all have custom avatars and signatures as well ^-^ (Or maybe not..)

Also, any word on if we'll ever be able to customize our signatures / avatars?

Bit offtopic, but I'll indulge: Avatars are in the making, we will get a set of Warframe-themed preset avatars. No custom ones. Signatures will more than likely stay inactive.

This forum software has a boatload (imperial, I think) of modules and currently deactivated functions. There is no need to switch the software - just add and remove subset of functions. :)

Does anyone have a workaround to successfully post images (with %7Boption%7D tags) from steam cloud? I hate to upload stuff to another site when its already out there and publicly available.

For Example:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/882981174614889012/5869C7485125381265D260ACD8F95FB334C0BDB1/

Best I've been able to do is post it as a url link to make it less messy;

Tell me that's not black!

Edited by Darzk

Does anyone have a workaround to successfully post images (with %7Boption%7D tags) from steam cloud? I hate to upload stuff to another site when its already out there and publicly available.

For Example:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/882981174614889012/5869C7485125381265D260ACD8F95FB334C0BDB1/

Best I've been able to do is post it as a url link to make it less messy;

Tell me that's not black!

It looks like it technically works, because I was able to use img tags to embed a Steam screenshot and successfully preview my post. But there's an error in preview that seems to indicate an option defined in the forum settings to disallow specific image file extensions, including no file extension. Obviously file extensions are missing from the link, thanks to the Steam cloud abstraction. Not sure if there's a way to define as permitted a link with no extension, or even if that would be a good idea. Could lead to abuse, or I may just be overly paranoid.

Try yelling at Valve to have them append .jpg to their cloud-saved screenshot links? =)

This forum software has a boatload (imperial, I think) of modules and currently deactivated functions. There is no need to switch the software - just add and remove subset of functions. :)

There are a lot more functionalities indeed. It's not a 180-euro-license for nothing. Though, I can't help but wonder why the WYSIWYG has been limited as much while the BBCode has not. (And why the BBCode editor is disabled too.)

Edited by 3ventic