maciejs

Network Compression And Congestion Control

These are the kinds of posts I like. The ones that give you a glimpse into the heart of the working of a system. It gives you an impression into what is what, and how is when. An appreciation is formed, as well as a level of understanding, that allows us, as players, to support what the developers are doing.

Thank you for taking the time to post this, maciejs. 

• Upvote 2

oh, these changes are coming a lot sooner than i thought!

much appreciation.

more impressive improvements than i even thought we were getting.

this plus the something else that's coming this week, to me is like a backend challenge saying "HAHA! try to be laggy in this game now, i dare you!".

:)

• Upvote 1

(quote)

Good to read and learn what was going on. As a guy with some techie friends and a little technical know-how, I must say that I look forward to the results of these endeavors!

Warframe: The only game in which the behind-the-scenes devs actually show their hard work.

We appreciate all your effort, man.

Edited by Lukap99
  • Upvote 1

Nice work, was in a mission almost the entire time and I was wondering why their was redtext on network stuff. Thanks for your hard work and looking forward to less latency :)

awww yiss. Is it wrong to be excited about the way you described this? ifsodonotwantotberight.

Thank you for all the hard work you guys put into this as well as for taking the time to write down what you are trying to accomplish in words even those closer to laymen can understand :D

Thanks for this, this is interesting as games seem so simple, when the behind the scenes is insane ^^

Yes it is insane behind the scenes. Not to long ago i had a discussion with two of my friends who were complaining that there favorite game was not optimized. both in terms of network and graphically. during the conversation i told them that its not as simple as they claim it to be in order to optimize a game not just in terms of network but in terms of graphics. I explained that you can not just simply change images out for higher or lower resolution because those images have to be stretched and fitted to the 3D models. as for the network side i really don't know to much about creating algorithms to increase the congestion and quality of connection but what i do know is common knowledge when it comes to TCP and UDP. TCP is very tricky so many things to play with. like akfrequency most people have heard of it as well as nodelay. there is also the chimneyoffload, time to live, and many other features available with tcp related networking. I myself appreciate this topic for the simple fact that it had so much detail and shows proof that the devs at DE are always working on something to improve the game even further.

wow, you guys finally taking this serious :D

Its been pretty bad since U14, and that means for several months.

Glad you guys finally break the silence, stood up, and started talking about this problems that so many have complained for so long.

Thank you for the info. It's always nice to see the work going on behind the scenes. There's one thing I'm wondering though: Does this change allow room to code in more enhancements to AI and other stuff (for example individualizing the AI of each NPC instead of having it work in a more group-like system)? I have no technical knowledge so I apologize if that's a stupid question.

Awesome :D

Seeing how everyone is working on this game is motivating me to play even more ;)

Thank you for taking the time to update us on what you are doing to make Warframe a game above the rest. 

As a game dev myself, I really appreciate how difficult the networking aspect of multiplayer games is (I always try and offload that bit onto someone else haha), so congratulations on what appears to be a significant gain :-)

While the improvement on the compression ratio is good. I think that's not the only core problem. I know that DE is trying to compress these packets being sent around because they are planning to release a game server to finally fix this strict NAT problem, high compression = less bandwidth consumed = better server performance. This is great, yes but I think they are forgetting about Vauban or some frames which are causing massive increase in packets being sent. Although I read a 30kbps cap/limit, this would just produce noticeable lag or wierd physics if the needed packets to be recieved is much more. I remember playing endless missions with a Vauban as a client and I saw I was eating about 60kbps of bandwidth of the host because of Vortex' physics.

I know DE doesn't want to produce ghosting (see GIF below for ghosting) due to too much compression,

2r9c4om.jpg

but I think it's quite inevitable if you want to fix strict NAT w/o having bandwidth chokes on the game server.

• Upvote 1

I realize what’s on your mind right now is: “OK, nice graph, but why should I care, will it play better?”. I’m actually both excited and nervous for the next update - yes, the compression and congestion changes are coming on PC this week. Console players will be receiving this down the road.  Compression is easy to quantify and I can guarantee it works as expected. Congestion control is much less predictable so it’s harder to measure the impact. I don’t expect it to be perfect, nothing ever is, I do expect it to be significantly better than what we have right now. It doesn’t affect lag directly, but better congestion control means lower latency as well. We can’t make the data go faster (unless we break the speed of light barrier, working on that next), but we do try hard to make sure it’s not us slowing it down.

Thanks so much for the detailed background works on the network. Very impressive & informative information. Understanding these helps me to appreciate the game so much more and the work you & DE have put in to ensure us play Warframe smoothly and immersively. 

...so many talents are within DE. This one code genius is definitely a keep and a million pluses!!

Well, im grateful for this.

Im really appreciate devs who can explain all to players. Or even just trying.

But i have few questions.

1) You (i think it was you at redtext) sayd somethink about NAT restriction. Did it really changed now? It wery depend for me becouse now i pay my IPS for white (real, external) IP just for playing WF. Can i stop it already, couse i'm actually love my IPS NAT.

2) How about connection problem? Sometimes we have a problem even on creating lobby. Somebody leave it, somebody cant checkbox "ready" after mission restart. Sometimes after start mission all team goes in hell, if it void -- mission failed, if host arent keymaster.

Actually is most of problems. After mission start it almost never someone will disconnect it and all goes fine.

4) Host migration. Will you fight against illegal immigration?

4.1 this part of problem is host changed after mission start

4.2 and host changing after leaving endless mission. Actually after this i am host and only player. Its so lonely, can u feel it?

5) Did you notice missing paragraph #3?

Edited by R3W2ND