Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strict Nat: Improvements And Testing

[DE]Glen

Like I said: we'll still warn you about the problem because if you fix it yourself (rather than having to go through a proxy) it'll be less lag for you.

Oh it's noticeable, but it's holding. We may have to turn it off when the weekend rolls around and the number of players surges -- next we're working on distributing the load to different data-centers around the world.

Can you clarify if the proxies are now up? I'm still getting "Failed to join session". The person I'm trying to join isn't under strict NAT, I'm the one under strict NAT.

Can you clarify if the proxies are now up? I'm still getting "Failed to join session". The person I'm trying to join isn't under strict NAT, I'm the one under strict NAT.

It's definitely running right now -- I can see lots proxies currently in use.

That's wierd. I have 2 friends who can host games but I still cannot connect to them. Also on Trade chat, there are still people who can't join me directly and I have to ask my other friend who usually host Dojo for me to act as middle-man.

Can we please get some clarification as to whether this is the same problem as the longer error message that says "Strict NAT Detected. UPnP not detected. Please forward UDP ports ..."?  I've never seen or heard of a message that only says "Strict NAT detected" before this thread. Obviously also the problem as of now persists for me and others I've talked to.

At the moment I'm paying a pretty high monthly VPN fee just to play Warframe, free VPNs are just too slow and unreliable. I assumed this issue was being worked on but if it's not then I don't intend to continue paying.

Hello [DE]Glen!

I'm far from anything resembling a tech person (as far as can be, actually) - but please bear with me.

While I've never had a warning mentioning "Strict NAT", I am often unable to join my friends sessions anyway. Sometimes this is solved by him creating a game I join (not the other way around, which is weird - so I'll have to give him my void keys).

My question is - will these proxy servers only affect people with the Strict NAT warning, or will it also help players who in general get the "failed to join session" errors?

I'm more than happy to see improvements on the networks, anyway. I'd lay down tonnes of cash for platinum if I could just reliably play with my friends, and not get an error or get disconnected from host 30% of the time. New content doesn't matter if in the end I can't play it with my friends. :)

Thank you for the hard work, [DE]Glen and others!

You can just right click and hit "paste as plain text" or do control-shift-v

that isn't just a normal paste though. it's an extra step to have NORMAL functions.

instead of an extra step for functions that aren't normally used.

see, my solution, means that i copy it without Formatting in the first place.

and then i paste as normal.

that way, it's effectively the same as if browsers just didn't copy Formatting by default.

Could we get some kind of indicator on UI or some kind of information when we are loading to mission, which could show us when we are connected via warframe proxy serwer ?

Or even go step further and add option for players which have strict Nat which could allow us to join to other people by using this proxy server ?

I tried to connect today to some mission and i get "Failed to join session" quite often and frankly speaking i have no idea if i finally connected by this new proxy feature or i was just able to connect to the host.

im sure your system is up and running. however, me and my friends are still unable to play with one another.

still get "session not found" every single time.

there should be a way to opt-in to the proxy instead of relying on it to discover you as its clearly not plugging us into it. 

Edited by Vanhline

how is it with that ipv6 and ipv4 at de, what do you send us ?

i have 100 mbit glassfibre and my provider translates my ipv6 if needed only in one direction, if i get ipv4 it will not be transformed back to ipv6, they do it only if i pay

as i pay into warframe i dont see any sense to pay 5 bucks per month for gaming if the whole internet is moving into ipv6

that isn't just a normal paste though. it's an extra step to have NORMAL functions.

instead of an extra step for functions that aren't normally used.

see, my solution, means that i copy it without Formatting in the first place.

and then i paste as normal.

that way, it's effectively the same as if browsers just didn't copy Formatting by default.

I'm pretty sure your method is an extra step hen you and just press on more button when pasting XD

You obviously have no idea what you are taking about.. Pasting as plain text does remove formatting.. That's the whole point of it.

OK for a year I've been thinking it's you guys. I have FULL access to my router, and NATed the ports listed in my warframe settings directly through to my PC (which is on a MAC reservation so always the same IP).

Now you're telling me that having seen that error on a number of occasions, I'm still in the 6%? What *exactly* does Warframe need in the way of mapped ports? TCP? UDP? Both? Specific ports or a whole range?

Because let me tell you, playing in NZ with people in Australia is already laggy as balls and I *really* don't need another 80ms added.

I think "maybe" the proxy only works when pub matchmaking but doesn't work with direct invitations to squad. I'm really getting alot of "failed to join session" when trying to join people on the recruitment or trying to trade on dojo.

if this is really the case then it wouldn't matter one way or the other for those under strict NAT since public matchmaking was already fully automated  as it just matches the strict nat people with compatible peers. It'd be much better if direct invitations are supported by the proxies as well.

Granted, for clan mission runs where people usually set up a team with compatible connections (like a lottery for strict nat users lol) it's not a glaring issue, but it's quite a hassle for trading when you get 5+ buyers/sellers in a row that you can't invite or join.

This is why i'm hoping the devs push through with enabling trades in relays *hint hint nudge nudge*

I'm pretty sure your method is an extra step

You obviously have no idea what you are taking about. Pasting as plain text does remove formatting.

no extra steps. i copy normally, and paste normally. it solves the stupidity of having a non standard function on a standard shortcut.

you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. and have decided to start insulting others because... i don't really know why.

pasting as plain text ofcourse removes formatting. but it's an extra step, because it's either a Context Menu choice or different Shortcut.

when it's simpler and faster to copy without formatting, because then no matter where you paste it, it will paste appropriately.

pasting without formatting is an extra step, having copying copy without formatting solves the problem as close to the source as possible (since i don't really feel like asking my specific cut down and stripped distro of Chromium for their Sourcecode and then fixing it myself on every version update).

i do not recommend repeating yourself once more and suggesting that i am adding an extra step when i literally just copy and paste as normal, except without any Formatting issues.

I'm really getting alot of "failed to join session" when trying to join people on the recruitment or trying to trade on dojo.

hmm, that shouldn't be the case, the system [Proxy Servers] should be working for Invites and Et Cetera as well. testing included Invited sessions, which was successful.

if the whole internet is moving into ipv6

adopting IPv6 is a slow process. it's dramatically different than what we've been using for a long time.

it's going to take a long time before everyone is running based on IPv6.

Edited by taiiat

Well, believe it or not, it is and others have also shared similar experience.

yes, i see that. i'm clarifying that the intention IS for it to work there. there was no oversight or 'forgot about this'.

just skimming a few posts, i'm seeing an uncomfortable amount of that. making mild (i don't personally find them offensive, but since i'm not Digital Extremes) accusations.

and it would be best if those were not made, as they are not accurate.

no extra steps. i copy normally, and paste normally. it solves the stupidity of having a non standard function on a standard shortcut.

you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. and have decided to start insulting others because... i don't really know why.

pasting as plain text ofcourse removes formatting. but it's an extra step, because it's either a Context Menu choice or different Shortcut.

when it's simpler and faster to copy without formatting, because then no matter where you paste it, it will paste appropriately.

pasting without formatting is an extra step, having copying copy without formatting solves the problem as close to the source as possible (since i don't really feel like asking my specific cut down and stripped distro of Chromium for their Sourcecode and then fixing it myself on every version update).

i do not recommend repeating yourself once more and suggesting that i am adding an extra step when i literally just copy and paste as normal, except without any Formatting issues.

Because going into another program, pasting it, copying it, then pasting into what you need isn't an extra step. And when exactly did I insult someone?

Edited by mistopportunity

hmm, that shouldn't be the case, the system should be working for Invites and Et Cetera as well. testing included Invited sessions, which was successful.

Oh, but it is the case. The number of fellow Tenno that are experiencing "Failed to join session" problems as I'm experiencing decreased only slightly, if at all. My guess is that the number actually didn't lower, it remained the same because its not when we're trying to join a Public session that the problem happens. It happens when we're inviting someone into a Squad for a private mission, or into a Dojo for trading... Most people I try to invite ends up being successful. But there is a small amount of players that I can't invite -at all- because this particular problem is affecting me seriously. As a practical example, my fellow Clan members aren't monsters like me and they need help from me when more difficult missions are involved, and because of this particular problem I can only invite 4 out of the 30 members I have on the Roster. Those same 4 members can each invite me back without problems, and the rest of the Roster can only be helped if one of those 4 members is the host. The same thing happens when trying to trade with someone in a Dojo, 95% of my trade attempts are made in the presence of a Middle Man because I can't either invite, or get invited, to initiate the trading procedure. This problem also affects Solar Rail Conflicts, and if the same conditions aren't met I end up finding myself forced to assault a Solar Rail on my own against multiple Tenno and win in the process. I am simply not including with defending Solar Rails because when these conditions aren't met, it simply says that there are no opponents assaulting the Solar Rail when its %% is lowering right in front of my eyes.

Like ACorpse said, I have all required ports opened and I still get the "Please redirect ports xxxx & yyyy to <whatever>" message. If the needed ports are opened, that message shouldn't even appear at all. So, like ACorpse said, it would really be helpful to know -exactly- what Warframe really needs in order to fully work.

- ... Would it be a direct connection to the Internet, without any NAT? I believe that in the 90s such was still possible, but not nowadays due to the sheer number of Internet users.

- ... Firewalls disabled to -make sure- it works? Our "exception rules" that allows Warframe to connect and work properly don't seem to be working at all. Its as if we haven't done anything to change it when we actually did what the game tells us to do.

- Use the game uPnP system? That's like DMZ'ing our routers and/or firewalls. Does Warframe actually need -all access ports- to communicate and work properly?

- Use the game NAT-PMP system? We could, if it actually helped. The only thing it seems to be doing is the same as uPnP, but directed for NATs.

The problem has been growing. It hasn't affected me until today, because I run Solo on everything. But since my Clan is starting to fill up, and my fellow members aren't monsters, this problem is... serious... and needs to be solved. We, as the community, can only do so much. If there is something else we could/can be doing and/or try to do, you need to point out what it is, DE... Otherwise, we can't help you help us.

Edited by Uhkretor