The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Origin Stories: The First Of Them (Ch. 58: "Broken" Update)

ROSING

9 hours ago, Zibbs said:

do you have any plans on bringing out the 3rd generation yet or are you just focusing on finishing this particular arc of the story?

just curious :3 keep up the good work

The 3rd Gen will come out in a later season. Thanks!

10 hours ago, LegionCynex said:

Uhm, White text on a white spolider?, hard to read

Eh? Where so?

It's always a good day when I don't double post, thanks to the sudden input of fresh new faces and old friends.

Well, Chapter 33: Reveal is now out on  Post #25 or available in the Giggle Docs folder here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KCFvYg3rSOEYLWrx1vX51gQ4dfY7b8rWfgSPaD3NoJ4/edit?usp=sharing

The Warframes are once again put out on display, as are a few secrets among the Tenno.

Some changes to this chapter:

NEW SCENE between Roland and Kat, and then Gregor and Nadia discussing Kat.

Slight changes to the scene between Melody and Rose, then Rose and Jolla.

NEW SCENE with more character exposition about Miyoko right before Dr. Coven reveals the Warframes

NEW SCENE where Nadia attempts to uncover Kat's hidden issues--as usual, she does it the hard way.

As always, criticism and feedback are greatly appreciated!

On 30/5/2016 at 3:21 AM, ROSING said:

Why not both?

In college, sleep is the first casualty...

I'm writing down that one.

IN ANOTHER NOTE i just re-read from Chapter 1 through 15, got some fine nostalgia by reading this and i'm glad to see the things you changed were for the better,

still getting feels from Koda and Rilla

A few things i noticed were missing, physical descriptions of most of the Tenno, i remember that in later chapters we get some but i think that in order to make imagining the story easier one has to know what the character looks like early in the story, i have a mental image of most characters but it would be nice to know how the author pictures them

Does koda have long hair? I imagine Gregor very muscular and with a buzz cut, a few years older than most Tenno, Are there any physical side-effect on Jason from his powers?

Stuff like that, as always keep it up Rosing, this is the only Fan story i've ever read and hasn't cause a single second of cringe, this is some high-quality writing.

Edited by Lankander

You've come a long way, ROSING. No doubt you're busy furthering this epic adventure you've been writing, but just read what I have to say, though.

I've read your latest chapter and looked back to what you originally wrote for your first few chapters (believe me, I saved them for something, and that something proved to be very useful indeed). The change was obviously going to be there; your range of vocabulary, adjectives and storytelling has remained extraordinary, but what has shocked me, to say the least, is with what speed your progress has developed your writing style. Within a year's time you've grown from simply (if you don't mind me saying) another aspiring writer on the forums to one most prestigious, and one that has attracted many fans in the meantime, evidently. In short, you've done incredibly well.

Why am I telling you this, having been gone for so long? I'm not sure. Exams have been killing my time recently, but I've been watching you grow on this forum, and thought that you simply required some sort of recognition. My writing has grown stale, too, and it's reading yours that has revitalised my interest in it.

Keep at it.

6 hours ago, Lankander said:

I'm writing down that one.

IN ANOTHER NOTE i just re-read from Chapter 1 through 15, got some fine nostalgia by reading this and i'm glad to see the things you changed were for the better,

Reveal hidden contents

still getting feels from Koda and Rilla

A few things i noticed were missing, physical descriptions of most of the Tenno, i remember that in later chapters we get some but i think that in order to make imagining the story easier one has to know what the character looks like early in the story, i have a mental image of most characters but it would be nice to know how the author pictures them

Does koda have long hair? I imagine Gregor very muscular and with a buzz cut, a few years older than most Tenno, Are there any physical side-effect on Jason from his powers?

Stuff like that, as always keep it up Rosing, this is the only Fan story i've ever read and hasn't cause a single second of cringe, this is some high-quality writing.

Oh, I'm sure the beginning has plenty of cringe. But thank you, it means a lot to know that I don't dole it out as much as I thought.

Regarding physical descriptions, I'm a bit on the fence with this one. I've heard that it's best to not describe characters and let how you portray them allow the reader to create their own idea of how they are. On the other hand, I do have my own image of them, and it would be awkward if I lead people to believe a character looks one way when I think he should be another. Some what consequently, my physical descriptions (as opposed to dialogue) aren't my strongest skill, but it's something I want to work on. I really don't know what to do, I proceeded with the first logic in Season 1, but Season 2 was an attempt to try out the latter. I'd be curious to hear what you guys think of the issue.

5 hours ago, FiveHours said:

You've come a long way, ROSING. No doubt you're busy furthering this epic adventure you've been writing, but just read what I have to say, though.

I've read your latest chapter and looked back to what you originally wrote for your first few chapters (believe me, I saved them for something, and that something proved to be very useful indeed). The change was obviously going to be there; your range of vocabulary, adjectives and storytelling has remained extraordinary, but what has shocked me, to say the least, is with what speed your progress has developed your writing style. Within a year's time you've grown from simply (if you don't mind me saying) another aspiring writer on the forums to one most prestigious, and one that has attracted many fans in the meantime, evidently. In short, you've done incredibly well.

Why am I telling you this, having been gone for so long? I'm not sure. Exams have been killing my time recently, but I've been watching you grow on this forum, and thought that you simply required some sort of recognition. My writing has grown stale, too, and it's reading yours that has revitalised my interest in it.

Keep at it.

Great to hear from you, Five, and even greater to hear such praise. After I read yours and Lankander's, I couldn't stop grinning for at least an hour after. And yes, recognition is a powerful drug, and you are one of my best dealers. Definitely I do this to become a better writer, but having people give me feedback, both positive and negative, gives me such drive for the story, always gets me thinking about the next steps and stages, and can give me a writing high that can get whole chapter drafts done in a day. I wish that kind of spurt for any writer, perhaps you most especially, because your writing is bomb. Don't ever let it die.

I went back and found the opening scene for that Wukong story you wrote in April, and, as usual, your dialogue was solid and your descriptions vivid. Obviously, as someone writing an origin story, you know how I'm always interested in those. If you still wish, I can give you feedback on what you have so far.

This year has been surreal for my writing skill, and I hope that, in this coming year, I can continue to improve at the same rate. I couldn't have done this well without all of you here to support and guide me along the way. Thank you. Thank you all, really.

Absolutely love this story. Best fan-fiction I've ever read, hands down. Excellent writing quality!

Oh man, when Chroma makes an appearance...the fan-boying will be real.

Unless you're only doing verified Primes (as in, in game), so you can give descriptions? Which also reminds me...plans for Umbra? And how are you going to handle Equinox?

When Limbo is revealed, true classiness will descend.

11 hours ago, Magneu said:

Absolutely love this story. Best fan-fiction I've ever read, hands down. Excellent writing quality!

Oh man, when Chroma makes an appearance...the fan-boying will be real.

Unless you're only doing verified Primes (as in, in game), so you can give descriptions? Which also reminds me...plans for Umbra? And how are you going to handle Equinox?

When Limbo is revealed, true classiness will descend.

Thank you!

Dunno man, I have no idea about Umbra. I'm sure there will be a lot of content (like kubrows, sentinels, and of course operators lol) that I won't be able to cover or won't have time in this story to cover. The entire story (and when I say that, I mean up to the last season) is roughly formed in my head, and while I'll try to introduce as many frames as I can, I know that I won't be able to do all of them.

Limbo and Equinox I would like to bring out, just because their abilities make for some interesting characters.

On 30/5/2016 at 3:21 AM, ROSING said:

Equinox being twins with opposite personalities merged into one and Limbo having trouble keeping himself in this dimension, causing him to spontaneously dissapear

Hilarity insues

Edit: Not sure how to get rid of that quote lol

Edited by Lankander

On 6/3/2016 at 3:46 PM, Lankander said:

Equinox being twins with opposite personalities merged into one and Limbo having trouble keeping himself in this dimension, causing him to spontaneously dissapear

Hilarity insues

Edit: Not sure how to get rid of that quote lol

Something like that.

Chapter 34 is out now on  Post #25, or on the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EbWWBJW6Bx-XEdx-9oSTwSN7jPViY5NY_-dGTy5s13U/edit?usp=sharing. It's always surprising when characters start kissing other and not even the writer saw it coming, at least for the writer.

Changes to this chapter:

NEW SCENE, where Kat and Gregor have a heart to heart chat

Minor changes to the scenes with Rose and Darren, then with Koda, Nadia and Melody.

We are almost done with the revision chapters! I'm not sure if I said this before, but I've extended this season by one extra chapter to make sure everything fits! As such, next chapter will still have a few scenes some of you older readers have seen before, but there will be new stuff there too of course. And then right after that, things start to move really, really fast.

1 hour ago, ROSING said:

Something like that.

Chapter 34 is out now on  Post #25, or on the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EbWWBJW6Bx-XEdx-9oSTwSN7jPViY5NY_-dGTy5s13U/edit?usp=sharing. It's always surprising when characters start kissing other and not even the writer saw it coming, at least for the writer.

Changes to this chapter:

NEW SCENE, where Kat and Gregor have a heart to heart chat

Minor changes to the scenes with Rose and Darren, then with Koda, Nadia and Melody.

We are almost done with the revision chapters! I'm not sure if I said this before, but I've extended this season by one extra chapter to make sure everything fits! As such, next chapter will still have a few scenes some of you older readers have seen before, but there will be new stuff there too of course. And then right after that, things start to move really, really fast.

Perfect timing as today i finished reading everything up to Chapter 33, Koda's fight with Melody is one of my favorite scenes

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 35 is now out on Post #25  or in the google docs folder: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QTRBsSUTQ3mhDhpCbF97Qxmf08hQIOt6PAUeQBPxMJ0/edit?usp=sharing.

Changes:

NEW SCENE between Ford and Hayden, slight adjustments to the scene after with Nadia

NEW SCENE between Hayden and Miyoko.

At this point in the season I'd like to ask for feedback on how character progressions and relationships are going, in case I end up doing something drastic and end up screwing it all up. If you think something isn't being executed right or doesn't feel like it was justified enough, please let me know.

On 13/6/2016 at 8:53 AM, ROSING said:

Chapter 35 is now out on Post #25  or in the google docs folder: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QTRBsSUTQ3mhDhpCbF97Qxmf08hQIOt6PAUeQBPxMJ0/edit?usp=sharing.

Changes:

NEW SCENE between Ford and Hayden, slight adjustments to the scene after with Nadia

NEW SCENE between Hayden and Miyoko.

At this point in the season I'd like to ask for feedback on how character progressions and relationships are going, in case I end up doing something drastic and end up screwing it all up. If you think something isn't being executed right or doesn't feel like it was justified enough, please let me know.

As always excellent work

I would like to see Nadia interact more with the other Tenno, she's the leader of the second generation and yet lately all her scenes to Hayden (specifically crying about the fact that he loves Miyoko) So yeah, you've done a fantastic work in developing certain characters like Koda and Jolla's relationship with Darren, if you applied the same level of depth to the rest we would have a perfectly well defined cast of characters

31 minutes ago, Lankander said:

As always excellent work

I would like to see Nadia interact more with the other Tenno, she's the leader of the second generation and yet lately all her scenes to Hayden (specifically crying about the fact that he loves Miyoko) So yeah, you've done a fantastic work in developing certain characters like Koda and Jolla's relationship with Darren, if you applied the same level of depth to the rest we would have a perfectly well defined cast of characters

Ok, Hayden's taking too much of her time. I'll free that up then. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 36: Breaking, is now available for your viewing pleasure. Deep talks. Deep talks everywhere. Tensions rise, cover is blown, and the end of this season begins. Check it out on  Post #25  or in the google docs folder: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SS-cbBzmQno9lmLGW1OC6BJz5kIhNI6VHF-k8OfsGks/edit?usp=sharing

MAAAAAAAN This was probably the most difficult chapter I've ever written. If I thought I needed help writing battles, I needed even more help with this one.

So if you got any feedback for this one especially, I'd love to hear it!