The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

D-Pad Should Be Bound To Warframe Abilities By Default

(PSN)beerninja88

It is nearly impossible to perform single target abilities the way they were meant to be used (Vaylkr spiderman swing, Zephyr jump+divebomb while moving forward, limbo precise banishing, etc) without changing all the power bindings to the D-pad instead of the touchpad.  I know Sony probably wants you to use the touchpad as much as possible as a 'cool' gimmick for new players but what that's doing is punishing their grasp of the game and making them essentially handicapped.

The touchpad should be as follows:

swipe up for codex scanner slot 1 (which should come with 25 free scans for new players to get them familiar with the concept, then tell them they have run out of scans and to buy more)

Swipe left for Equipment slot 2 hotkey

Swipe down for Set Waypoint

Swipe right for Equipment slot 3 hotkey

Right thumbstick down should be the equipment/emote menu by default.

considering the xbone doesn't have a touchpad I can only imagine that these binds are already default on that platform?

Edited by (PS4)beerninja88

Not really. Remember how when we got update 15 we got that really irritating controller scheme that almost everyone changed back to the way it was before the update. Remember that the touch pad counts for multiple buttons that the Xbox controller does not have. I'm fairly certain they have to hold down r1 or right trigger before they can even cast a power.

How about no? Just change your controller layout.

If I'm running and I want to use an ability on an enemy like freeze or rip line, with "your default layout", I have to stop running/moving to perform that action. That is not fluid and will cause me to die more easily than swiping my touch pad as I do now.

Last I recall the touch pad set up is totally different and abilities are tied to R1 or something for new players.

Edited by (PS4)LK-GriM

How about no? Just change your controller layout.

If I'm running and I want to use an ability on an enemy like freeze or rip line, with "your default layout", I have to stop running/moving to perform that action. That is not fluid and will cause me to die more easily than swiping my touch pad as I do now.

Last I recall the touch pad set up is totally different and abilities are tied to R1 or something for new players.

Actually with the D-pad setup you can both AIM and MOVE and the same time if you use your index finger to activate the ability.  99% of the time you don't need to use your index finger for for such an action but when you need it, it's there.  Unlike the touchpad which would remove your hand from a minimum of 1 stick.

Also cast time is instantaneous unlike the touchpad which only registers the action after completion of the swipe.  In many cases, you're dead before you complete a swipe.

Edited by (PS4)beerninja88

Actually with the D-pad setup you can both AIM and MOVE and the same time if you use your index finger to activate the ability.  99% of the time you don't need to use your index finger for for such an action but when you need it, it's there.  Unlike the touchpad which would remove your hand from a minimum of 1 stick.

Also cast time is instantaneous unlike the touchpad which only registers the action after completion of the swipe.  In many cases, you're dead before you complete a swipe.

I'd love to see this index finger technique performed. I personally swipe with my right thumb which only controls the view. So it takes nothing away from what I'm doing. If I or someone else is dead before they complete the swipe they are swiping far too late.

It is nearly impossible to perform single target abilities the way they were meant to be used (Vaylkr spiderman swing, Zephyr jump+divebomb while moving forward, limbo precise banishing, etc) without changing all the power bindings to the D-pad instead of the touchpad.  I know Sony probably wants you to use the touchpad as much as possible as a 'cool' gimmick for new players but what that's doing is punishing their grasp of the game and making them essentially handicapped.

-snip-

I have used the touchpad for powers since I started playing this game, why should my setup be changed for you? It works fine, you just need to adapt or change the controls to your own personal preferences, since that option has been in game since day one.

The touchpad should be as follows:

swipe up for codex scanner slot 1 (which should come with 25 free scans for new players to get them familiar with the concept, then tell them they have run out of scans and to buy more)

Swipe left for Equipment slot 2 hotkey

Swipe down for Set Waypoint

Swipe right for Equipment slot 3 hotkey

Right thumbstick down should be the equipment/emote menu by default.

considering the xbone doesn't have a touchpad I can only imagine that these binds are already default on that platform?

Hah. Hah hah. No. 

The Power Menu was added for Xbone. Their old controls were probably pretty garbage. 

Swiping for a waypoint? Or a random equipment slot?

I do those just as fast as if I had it hotkeyed. I can understand if you want these to be options for yourself, but everyone likes controls different.

I have touchpad for powers, I'm using the new controls but I have R3 for waypoint, allowing me to waypoint objects and places while aiming, which free up the left and right D-Pad buttons for power selection and the R1 button for the power menu which if you tap quickly, allows you to use the selected power. 

That, for me, is very simple and much easier to use than your controls would be for me. 

But I'm not you. 

You're not me. 

I'd love to see this index finger technique performed. I personally swipe with my right thumb which only controls the view. So it takes nothing away from what I'm doing. If I or someone else is dead before they complete the swipe they are swiping far too late.

Have you played CoD? 

The technique is called Claw, in which you use your index finger to control the buttons and, in this case, the touchpad whilst allowing you to aim and fire, or in this case use powers. It allows you to wall run and shoot as well. Been using this technique since MW2, it works for just about every game out there, it's overall better to play like that. 

Hah. Hah hah. No. 

The Power Menu was added for Xbone. Their old controls were probably pretty garbage. 

Swiping for a waypoint? Or a random equipment slot?

I do those just as fast as if I had it hotkeyed. I can understand if you want these to be options for yourself, but everyone likes controls different.

I have touchpad for powers, I'm using the new controls but I have R3 for waypoint, allowing me to waypoint objects and places while aiming, which free up the left and right D-Pad buttons for power selection and the R1 button for the power menu which if you tap quickly, allows you to use the selected power. 

That, for me, is very simple and much easier to use than your controls would be for me. 

But I'm not you. 

You're not me. 

You're setup is awkward for choosing abilities but it does technically allow you to do valkyr spiderman swing and precise limbo banishing.  It does not, however, make it easy for you to do zephyr jump+divebomb while moving forward as it would require you to switch abilities mid flight.  In addition, if playing a trinity with quick thinking the time it would take you to switch from ability 2 to ability 4 could often lead to death.  Therefore your bindings are much better than the original "swipe for power" bindings but can be improved.

I have used the touchpad for powers since I started playing this game, why should my setup be changed for you? It works fine, you just need to adapt or change the controls to your own personal preferences, since that option has been in game since day one.

Like I said in my original post, you're handicapping yourself.  If you saw someone filming a video with their phone upright, wouldn't you want to walk up to them and tell them to turn it sideways to landscape mode?  If phone manufacturers (and in this case Digital Extremes) made the correct format DEFAULT then there would be no need to correct people.  Then those who prefer to handicap themselves can still do so, but only after choosing that option.

You're setup is awkward for choosing abilities but it does technically allow you to do valkyr spiderman swing and precise limbo banishing.  It does not, however, make it easy for you to do zephyr jump+divebomb while moving forward as it would require you to switch abilities mid flight.  In addition, if playing a trinity with quick thinking the time it would take you to switch from ability 2 to ability 4 could often lead to death.  Therefore your bindings are much better than the original "swipe for power" bindings but can be improved.

I don't just use the D-Pad. I use both. When I need to switch quickly between powers, I'll use the touchpad. For example, Slash Dashing right after a Super Jump. It'd be much faster to those two instead of select them.

But if I'm setting something up, like running towards something that I'm going to need to Super Jump to, I'll use the selection and tap R1 when I'm ready. That or when I'm spamming Banish, Shock or other such things, I'll be tapping R1 many times.

But eh, like I said. We're different people, and it works much better for me. It's like two people who're doing the same math problem, but use different ways to solve it, yet they both get the same end result just as fast.

Like I said in my original post, you're handicapping yourself.  If you saw someone filming a video with their phone upright, wouldn't you want to walk up to them and tell them to turn it sideways to landscape mode?  If phone manufacturers (and in this case Digital Extremes) made the correct format DEFAULT then there would be no need to correct people.  Then those who prefer to handicap themselves can still do so, but only after choosing that option.

This doesn't handicap you when it's what you learned. I find using powers on the d-pad or right hand button set handicapping because you cannot move and aim while activating powers, with the touchscreen you can use the finger closest to your thumb to swipe and it's significantly more accurate with targetting powers.

What I want is the ability to customize my controller layout PER WARFRAME.  My reasoning is I run Trinity quite often and I find it extremely useful to bind her Energy Vampire to R3 because it's easy to tag targets using your aiming thumb with a quick press.  As you probably know, not all single target abilities map to the same power slot.  Even if they just gave us the option to map the abilities per Warframe I would love it.

Edit:  Matter of fact, I think this should probably be it's own suggestion instead of tagging onto this one.

Edited by (PS4)LunaticGunner