By The Numbers: Warframe Powers

DE_Adam

The article directly says they had been, yes.

Only for the abilities, not for the use time, for that chart the primes are seperated from the base frames. And Excalibur Prime is the only one not in it.

It would be nice to know if there are regional differences,

I doubt I see that much Saryns. But more than a fair share of Volts. Either I play different missions than the Saryns do, or it is region dependant.

So, just so we're clear here:

Desecrate was incontestably the most-used skill of all Warframe powers within the sampled time period.

Meanwhile, Nekros is one of the least-used Warframes (don't forget to add the number of Primes to their non-Primed variants, since most players trade one for the other as an upgrade).

Corrected for frames with the same name/toolkit:

Saryn - 15%

Nova - 10%

Rhino - 9%

Loki - 8%

Frost - 6%

Vauban/Ash - 5%

Trinity/Mirage/Mag/Nyx - 4%

Nekros/Mesa/Ember - 3%

Excalibur Prime is conspicously absent, probably because of his rarity putting his presence at less than 1%.

Almost every Warframe in the list was used more often than Nekros (Saryn was used 5x more often), but Desecrate is used nearly twice as often as Miasma.

Anybody else seeing a serious disconnect here?

Given that there's 29 frames listed, 3% would be "average"(since that's approximately 1/29th of the pie). Frames scoring in the 2% or less category are the "least used". I notice you didn't bother mentioning Excal, Oberon, Valkyr, Zephyr, Hydroid, Banshee, and Limbo clocking in down there in the "actually unpopular" land, nor mentioned poor Volt who has but a singular percentage(and no prime!). With 11 frames doing equal or less, out of 22(when combined), that's "average"(dead effing center), not "least-used".

Further, given that, firstly, Desecrate has an augment that makes casting it technically free, whilst all other skills actually cost energy, and that, secondly, casting it multiple times for a single kill is normal at all levels, as it's a utility skill, while casting offensive powers multiple times for a single kill is unusual at most levels, desecrate should naturally be expected to be MUCH higher.

Now, if you have something substantial to say besides "Why is the FREE utility skill used more often than a 1-shot-kill, 100-energy-costing ultimate?", do so. Otherwise, get off your high horse already.

EDIT: Grammar.

Edited by Llyssa

-snip-

By focusing on when I gave up relisting adjusted for non-Primes when the remainder of the list speaks for itself, you missed the forest for the trees. I was making a note that the skill is used disproportionately - that, in spite of your previous claims, Nekros players really do just spam Desecrate.

Doesn't matter if it's more or less efficient. Doesn't matter if it makes them better or worse at support or killing. It's what he's used as.

Are there exceptions? Yes, perhaps even plenty. But the margin of difference is substantial - I would not say a minority of that 3% of the playerbase can make up for having enough casts of Desecrate to make it THE MOST-USED ABILITY IN THE GAME, period.

While the total number of Warframes checked isn't stated, I feel confident saying it's not one player, it's not a dozen, it's at least hundreds - perhaps thousands - of players daily who sit in a corner and mash 3 like clockwork while their allies play the game.

As of this very By The Numbers, using DE's own data, the accusations against Desecrate-spamming as the primary playstyle of Nekros players cannot be stated to be baseless.

What more proof could you possibly need?

Edited by Archwizard

By focusing on when I gave up relisting adjusted for non-Primes when the remainder of the list speaks for itself, you missed the forest for the trees. I was making a note that the skill is used disproportionately - that, in spite of your previous claims, Nekros players really do just spam Desecrate.

Doesn't matter if it's more or less efficient. Doesn't matter if it makes them better or worse at support or killing. It's what he's used as.

Are there exceptions? Yes, perhaps even plenty. But the margin of difference is substantial - I would not say a minority of that 3% of the playerbase can make up for having enough casts of Desecrate to make it THE MOST-USED ABILITY IN THE GAME, period.

As of this very By The Numbers, using DE's own data, the accusations against Desecrate cannot be stated to be baseless. What more proof do you need? 

It can be TOTALLY baseless. Let's learn together how!

I use high efficiency builds.

There were 300,000 desecrates used in 2 weeks.

Now, in a singular mission, whichever mission I'm on, I use, on average, somewhere around 10 skills/minute, all by my little lonesome, and that's using skills that cost energy(and then grabbing energy orbs like crazy).

As a single player, playing 4 hours/day, 2/3rds of that in-mission, I use 22,400 skills per two week period, no matter what frame I'm playing.

Let's have that sink in a moment....my *personal* skill usage would account for almost 1/13th of all the desecrates cast. As just one player, who doesn't actually use the "make desecrate free" mod. There's actually people of such a mindset that mod is a MUST HAVE.

So, if I, PERSONALLY, could account for 1/14th of all of the skill usages, that means a handful of other players like me(or worse than me, given it's FREE), could HEAVILY skew the statistics.

Let's think about that really carefully... 302k desecrates, divided by 14 days(2 weeks), gives 22k/day... or 952/hour... or 25/minute.... or once every 2.4 seconds.

That could literally be done by a single, SOLITARY nerkos just chain casting desecrate 24/7. One person, with nothing else to do in life, just constantly casting desecrate all by their lonesome, out of however many(14 million, I believe it is?) players there are across all 3 platforms, could do it.

Or a few avowed desecrate junkies that don't play constantly.

Now, if 3% of the 14 million players were spamming 3 endlessly, we would have somewhere north of a BILLION skill uses. We don't. We have 320k. Drop in the bucket.Not even a single million. Not even 1/1000th the expected amount.

How is that possible if ALL nekros players do NOTHING but spam desecrate constantly?

It isn't. The ONLY way this is possible is if there's a few people who do nothing else, but they don't make up a majority of the population. A few 3 spammers, a bunch of regular players, and voila, you get exactly what we have here.

Given that there's 29 frames listed, 3% would be "average"(since that's approximately 1/29th of the pie). Frames scoring in the 2% or less category are the "least used". I notice you didn't bother mentioning Excal, Oberon, Valkyr, Zephyr, Hydroid, Banshee, and Limbo clocking in down there in the "actually unpopular" land, nor mentioned poor Volt who has but a singular percentage(and no prime!). With 11 frames doing equal or less, out of 22(when combined), that's "average"(dead effing center), not "least-used".

By removing the Primes, Arch was cutting it into 22 though.

Average would be 4.5%.

3% is still a minority.

So, if I, PERSONALLY, could account for 1/14th of all of the skill usages, that means a handful of other players like me(or worse than me, given it's FREE), could HEAVILY skew the statistics.

So you're saying there are only 14 people who use Desecrate, based on you.

Edited by Annon5150

It can be TOTALLY baseless. Let's learn together how!

I use high efficiency builds.

There were 300,000 desecrates used in 2 weeks.

Now, in a singular mission, whichever mission I'm on, I use, on average, somewhere around 10 skills/minute, all by my little lonesome, and that's using skills that cost energy(and then grabbing energy orbs like crazy).

As a single player, playing 4 hours/day, 2/3rds of that in-mission, I use 22,400 skills per two week period, no matter what frame I'm playing.

Let's have that sink in a moment....my *personal* skill usage would account for almost 1/13th of all the desecrates cast. As just one player, who doesn't actually use the "make desecrate free" mod. There's actually people of such a mindset that mod is a MUST HAVE.

Let's think about that really carefully... 302k desecrates, divided by 14 days(2 weeks), gives 22k/day... or 952/hour... or 25/minute.... or once every 2.4 seconds.

That could literally be done by a single, SOLITARY nerkos just chain casting desecrate 24/7. One person, with nothing else to do in life, just constantly casting desecrate all by their lonesome, out of however many(14 million, I believe it is?) players there are across all 3 platforms, could do it.

Or a few avowed desecrate junkies that don't play constantly.

Now, if 3% of the 14 million players were spamming 3 endlessly, we would have somewhere north of a BILLION skill uses. We don't. We have 320k. Drop in the bucket.Not even a single million. Not even 1/1000th the expected amount.

How is that possible if ALL nekros players do NOTHING but spam desecrate constantly?

It isn't. The ONLY way this is possible is if there's a few people who do nothing else, but they don't make up a majority of the population. A few 3 spammers, a bunch of regular players, and voila, you get exactly what we have here.

So why exactly isn't Radial Javelin number 1 then? That's exactly what's done with it by many players, and yet it still can't top Desecrate. And you yourself admit that's all you do with him by your numbers.

Also, 14 million players is almost certainly registered users, not active playerbase.

And again also, take your numbers for time between Desecrate uses and put it to any other skill. Either other frames aren't using powers at all and Nekros players are using them "normally", or Nekros players tend to spam a small number of powers.

There is no way you can tell me 14 or 20 Nekros players account for all the Desecrate spamming, and I doubt you use Desecrate as much as you think anyway (running to extraction? lulls in the action? Probably not Desecrating). This only confirms what we all see for ourselves when we look on recruiting, when we look here on the forums, and when we play. Nekros has become Desecrate. He is just a lootbot, and the ability is holding him back from being something more.

Seems like our gracefull snak-ish lady of war Saryn holds herself better than her reputation would suggest.

Adam: "Perhaps future enemies and level designs will alter the way players manage their energy."

Maybe rethinking the horde aspect of enemies in several mission types again could also be usefull.

If i remember correctly, the amount of enemies in missions was increased after the Survival event, in order to give players more to do, because of comments from players about getting bored from empty corridors.

Now, i admit that hordes are necessary for mission types like survival and defence to work and make them a huge draw for players because of the increased chance of resources and mods.

However for other mission types, i think it could be helpfull to take the current Grineer and Corpus enemies and seperate them into "horde" and "squad" variants.

"Horde" variants being the genetic rejects of the Lancers or low rent private secruity company slaves, aswell as Moas, who have bare bone training and only cheap equipment. The type of soldiers these two factions would send in mass against the Tenno to keep them occupied while the real soldiers are on the way.
They could be the enemies in Defence, Survival, Excavation and Mobile Defence.

"Squad" variants being the professional soldiers of these factions, appearing in fewer numbers, but providing more challenge thanks to higher health, using tactics and having various types of equipment which can provide them with protection or counters against certain Warframe abilities.

These could be the enemies for Extermination, Spy, Rescue, Sabotage and Capture.

Basicly make fire fights in non defence/survival missions more challenging but not unfair, also not make all Warframe abilities useless, but just provide more need for players to value their usage in certain situations.

Just an idea, maybe not a realistic one i admit

Edited by Othergrunty

On the same page our most 'helpful' Warframes still have relatively low assists compared to their large kill counts. This doesn't mean that players are bad at providing assistance, but more that enemies don't last very long in the face of Warframe powers.

Do assisting Tenno get assist points and affinity when:

1)  a target under their influence is killed or damaged by another Tenno?

2)  another player under direct assistance of another Warframe's ability makes a kill, does damage, uses energy, etc? 

In other words, are Tenno getting their just dues when actually providing assistance?  If this is difficult to calculate, would it be better to have mechanics that are easier to calculate?

It's obvious what a kill is, one scores the last point of damage.  But, is that how it works in Warframe?  Is it useful or fair to compare getting the last damage point instead of comparing the proportion of damage done to a target?

Edited by ThePresident777

Do assisting Tenno get assist points and affinity when:

1)  a target under their influence is killed or damaged by another Tenno?

2)  another player under direct assistance of another Warframe's ability makes a kill, does damage, uses energy, etc? 

In other words, are Tenno getting their just dues when actually providing assistance?  If this is difficult to calculate, would it be better to have mechanics that are easier to calculate?

It's obvious what a kill is, one scores the last point of damage.  But, is that how it works in Warframe?  Is it useful or fair to compare getting the last damage point instead of comparing the proportion of damage done to a target?

Um I think you are confused on how affinity works. If you are close enough to the tenno who kills the target you get FULL affinity for the kill regardless of whether you touched said enemy or buffed the tenno.