Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Building Warframe: The Opticor

DE_Adam

Want to make a laser cannon?  As a Tenno you'll need some Fieldron, Gallium, Cryotic and a Forma.  Stick all of that into a Foundry, set to High, and then ta-da!  A brand new Opticor is born.

But before you can set out and start blasting away our team needs to settle a few questions.  Little things like:  How should this weapon fire?  How big should it be?  What sort of effects should it display?

If you've ever wanted to know more about the process behind making the Opticor, this edition of Building Warframe is perfect for you.

-DE_Adam

You know how the Bows/Crossbow(s) has that thunderbolt mod? the Opticor needs to do that standardly. AND go through all enemies to hit the ground standard without  needing punch through mod (except where punch through effects hitting enemies that have Mobile Snow Globe or Nullifiers.

When you fire this cannon, you automatically get knocked down.

You know how with the Event Puncture mod you can have it do about 8k damage easily? well this thing should easily do about 20k damage with just the standard Serration, Split Chamber, 2 element mods. Put Heavy call on this thing, and remember, if you have split chamber on it it will blast in several different random directions upon shooting.

It should be similar to the Ogris, where it charges up and you can wait to actually "shoot". However, add effect so if you hold the charge for too long the thing blows up with a radial blast and yes, it would knock you down but do damage to anything around you. And your shields should be zapped away.

AND those are my thoughts on how the Opticor should work.

I find it funny that the Opticore is silent.

I do like the weapon a lot, but being a laser cannon, it doesn't have very satisfying discharge audio. Compared to, say, the Spartan Laser from the Halo franchise, the Opticore sounds like static electricity to a lightning bolt. It's just not satisfying to fire.

I really love this type of stuff. Seeing how things work or are created allows us to give better feedback. Keep them coming.

I find it funny that the Opticore is silent.

I do like the weapon a lot, but being a laser cannon, it doesn't have very satisfying discharge audio. Compared to, say, the Spartan Laser from the Halo franchise, the Opticore sounds like static electricity to a lightning bolt. It's just not satisfying to fire.

It sounds better than Paris Prime...

You know how the Bows/Crossbow(s) has that thunderbolt mod? the Opticor needs to do that standardly. AND go through all enemies to hit the ground standard without  needing punch through mod (except where punch through effects hitting enemies that have Mobile Snow Globe or Nullifiers.

When you fire this cannon, you automatically get knocked down.

You know how with the Event Puncture mod you can have it do about 8k damage easily? well this thing should easily do about 20k damage with just the standard Serration, Split Chamber, 2 element mods. Put Heavy call on this thing, and remember, if you have split chamber on it it will blast in several different random directions upon shooting.

It should be similar to the Ogris, where it charges up and you can wait to actually "shoot". However, add effect so if you hold the charge for too long the thing blows up with a radial blast and yes, it would knock you down but do damage to anything around you. And your shields should be zapped away.

AND those are my thoughts on how the Opticor should work.

This, this needs to be done. But all things aside, Opticor will still be my go to weapon

"We hope you've enjoyed this behind-the-scenes look at the Opticor's creation. Be sure to keep an eye out for future editions of Building Warframe, where we take an inside look at what it takes to bring our Dark Sector of the gaming world to life."

dark sector stuff to warframe?!?!?!?!?

2nd Anniversary is gonna be gud!!!!!!

the opticor says power just by looking at it.But when you fire it only to have a focused beam (tho powerful) it kind of dampens down the power feel to be just a heavy lanka or plasma rifle.I think the opticor could have had a beam but wider and as it cuts through enemies it would cause small AOE of maybe radiation? or magnetic? thos are ideas but really i think it should have been given something with more aoe power to backup its size and feel or have a effect kind of but not exact to the legendary BFG of Doom.

for details on the bfg combat style here is the offical wikia: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/BFG9000

but seriously when i first saw the opticor i thought big beam cuting and blasting through a good number of enemies, or a big plasma ball that flew and nearby enemies would take AOE damage just being near it and when it hit something would cause a fairly good explosion.

but got a heavy plasma rifle :S