Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Building Warframe: The Opticor

DE_Adam

I have to interject and say that DE have an interesting definition of the word Cannon.

Really bulky sniper rifle really didn't fit a lot of peoples expectations of this gun.

Their understanding of what comprises a Paladin is also suspect but that dead horse was beaten into glue last year.

I like those "behind the scene" story. They are well written (thanks to DE_Adam) and give a little inside in what it takes to bring a game to live.

I recently starting to use the Opticor, and I must say that it is looking really heavy and "badass". It is a very nice design.

But it kills only one enemy and that is unfortunate. It should kill multiple enemies  looking as it is.

Well done, keep them stories coming !!

Thank you for this weapon! I hated the fact that I needed a bow and arrow in order to kill high level enemies. The idea of a bow and arrow in the future dealing the most damage always killed me inside because I am a gun guy. Please do Not Nerf this gun in anyway as it is now my preferred to tier primary over all bows. It took 5 formas but mine now does more damage to any single target than a bow could. Maybe its just me but I do not feel very satisfied with many aspects of the game that reverse the evolutionary process with technology for example (bows, throwing knives, some of the melee weapons, flashlights with rings still around them hundreds of years after night/thermal optics were invented, forgetting the invention of the rebreather in survival, etc). Every game has its flaws but I am satisfied knowing bows are not the only weapon on my gun rack anymore.

This weapon is useless in void missions against nullifiers bubble, u cant one shot them, u need to hit bubble minimum 6 times like i remember no matter how big damage is, to kill them u need to  spend ALOT of time, its a slow weapon, i have 6 formas on but its bad wep for anything because of very slow fire rate with maxed fire rate mods its a snail and this weapon aoe is useless because not aoe targets u hit, u need to aim ground to aoe something even then aoe range is so tiny, this weapon should shoot through everything in its way but he dont , just bad utility(aoe) for so slow weapon, i never saw yet anyone ingame using this wep means im right, its good only on paper.

Edited by drunkpunk222

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the Opticor quite a bit, but it can't compete with the utility of the Penta for my playstyle. So it gets shelved. I thought perhaps modifying if for a stealth based weapon, but there are so many better designs floating around that can fill that niche over the Opticor. So there I am loving this gun because it envokes the power of Akira's Laser Cannon (both handheld and the satellite), Battle Ship Yamato, and Megatron's Fusion cannon. But I don't use it.

If I could, I probably rip off that front end and expose the rotating core. The excessive blocky housing takes away from the compact stout feeling. I understand the initial design parameters, but asthetically this gun would look pretty boss if you pull off, or shorten that housing around that spinning core.

With that modified I would imaging you'd lose the focal pin point distance of the Opticor, but you could trade it out for a shot gun effect , or say an even larger short range burst with higher AOE meant to kill targets in close quarters.

So say this a skin you can purchase, or find. Once equipped, you lose the range, but you gain two effects. One you charge the attack to the half way point and and you get a thicker beam with a much shorter range that has a much more effective AOE, or you charge it all the way and you get a massive burst killing everything around you. To place in a risk reward, you could say that the weapon blinds the user for a small duration when fully dispersed. Of course that makes it an entire Different gun. Just keep in mind, this is what it evokes when I'm running around with the Opticor. Your mind goes what if it did this? I'm sure if it got a buff that would shut up that inner nagging with satisfaction.

I'm not sure what the usage on the this weapon is with the population at the moment, but I haven't seen it in a long while. And that's a shame because she's a fun cannon. Lastly when using the Opticor, I find myself wishing she had a Mini Gun option in her family tree. The laser effect is visually epic. Now attached to mini gun. Well..."Old Painless" from "Predator" and the Gatling laser rifle used in the dream sequence of the original "Terminator" would get a nice nod in Warframe.

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

I love the Opticor for being, effectively, a hitscan bow with perfect accuracy and wallhacking. While a slightly wider beam and hitbox would be nice, I also appreciate its precision - a beam sniper may not be the best fit for its looks, but beam snipers in and of themselves are great - plus, it has massive splash damage on contact with surfaces. If there's really a better stealth-primary build than this - bows can't snipe a camera through walls, or travel across the map with no drop whatsoever - I haven't seen it.

Opticor Vandal with either significant crit or status buffs, please, and I will be a happy giant-laser-cannon-wielding cyberninja.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Want to make a laser cannon?  As a Tenno you'll need some Fieldron, Gallium, Cryotic and a Forma.  Stick all of that into a Foundry, set to High, and then ta-da!  A brand new Opticor is born.

But before you can set out and start blasting away our team needs to settle a few questions.  Little things like:  How should this weapon fire?  How big should it be?  What sort of effects should it display?

If you've ever wanted to know more about the process behind making the Opticor, this edition of Building Warframe is perfect for you.

-DE_Adam

I HATE this weapon it trys to be a OVERPOWERED SNIPER RIFLE and not a LASER CANNON, using this weapon means your are open to tons of bullets of damage from enemys . It needs a change on it ASAP ... like for example let the laser continue to fire after you shoot it so it feels like a LASER CANNON and not a SNIPER RIFLE ! What i mean is let it continue to fire the laser beam so you can kill armys of enemys with it, shoot you can make it use the same charge idea for it but instead of making it charge to 100% to shoot let it shoot the laser beam out doing damage over time till it reaches max charge and you have to reload this would save the weapon then like it is now >:O !

Edited by Kaiservadin

You know how the Bows/Crossbow(s) has that thunderbolt mod? the Opticor needs to do that standardly. AND go through all enemies to hit the ground standard without  needing punch through mod (except where punch through effects hitting enemies that have Mobile Snow Globe or Nullifiers.

This weapon is not a bow <_<

Edited by Kaiservadin