The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Concepts] Advanced Customization: Mods Add New Abilities

Tigercloud

So, I saw the handspring mod on the forums, and today while playing Warframe I just got an idea. Here's the example, with handspring. It plays off a previous forum post I saw about being able to recover quicker from knockdowns.

Example: If Handspring is equipped, you gain the ability to press block while you are down, to instantly recover and jump up again, at the cost of stamina.

Handspring would still reduce recovery time, but also add this ability to the player. That's the best example of the concept I have right now, but here's a possible one for Retribution:

Example: If Retribution is equipped, you gain the ability to press block after being attacked in melee, to deal an instant charged attack to the enemy (no charging time), which deals extra electrical damage.

You get the basic idea. A new keybind could be introduced, so as not to overwrite situations where block could be used at the same time.

Let's say DE introduces a mod which improves slide distance, let's call it Powerslide. Equipping it would do this:

Example: If Powerslide is equipped, you gain the ability to press (New Keybind) to do a Whirlwind attack while sliding, where one deals damage to all targets in the path of the slide. This ability uses up half your stamina.

This would allow a real gameplay customization based on mods, and because they are situational, people would pick the mods that give the abilities that fit their gameplay style the best. Mobility abilities, attack abilities, reaction abilities, I can't think of too many at present (especially since DE is just beginning to introduce more unusual Mods), but hopefully you can see the potential of this system. If none of these abilities are a straight improvement, it will really allow for a wide range of variety for players, because people won't choose just cookie-cutter "specs", they will be taking the mods that cater to their playstyle.

+1

I would love to see "generic" mods for warframes, that would add an activated ability to any frame it is put on.  I like the idea of speed, damage reduction, shield regen, self heal, direct damage abilities, ect.

That said, it would have to be balanced so as not to duplicate the benefits of some warframes' specific powers.  For example, a 'sprint boost' generic mod would have to be slower or have a shorter duration than Volt's Speed.

What I would love to see is a power that allows warframes to throw grenades.  They would cost energy, would be made of a 'solid' energy, and would act much like the grineer or corpus grenades.  There could also be variations, such as stun, elemental damages, or smoke.

Here's another example of an ability, based off this thread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/25881-making-tanks-sturdier/

For now, I'm using Steel Fiber as the mod that would activate it:

Example: If Steel Fiber is equipped, you gain the ability to press block to prevent knockdown, instead being forced backwards X meters, at the cost of stamina.