The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good Riddance To Downvotes!

Naked

Ugh, scratch these forums as useful now, then. Confirmation bias and cliquishness will run amok when the clearly idiotic can't have an abstract form of sense slapped into them. I suppose the official forums of any game end up as a hive of scum and villainy before long anyway :)

Ugh, scratch these forums as useful now, then. Confirmation bias and cliquishness will run amok when the clearly idiotic can't have an abstract form of sense slapped into them. I suppose the official forums of any game end up as a hive of scum and villainy before long anyway :)

Were these forums useless before we ever had voting options? I don't remember anyone caring.

And don't call people idiots, that's rude.

Perhaps instead of removing the downvote, we should just remove the red number.  Make it so that the post can be 0 or positive.  Don't let people see if it goes negative.  The red number is probably more damaging then the downvote.

I would be fine with this. Disagreement is hard to gauge if only people who like the idea are upvoting it. Seeing the OP's post stay neutral and other posts in thread more positive will send a signal the idea isn't favored. Granted that the positive posts provide constructive criticism.

But honestly I want downvotes back. Spines need to be grown and hardened. People need to think out their posts more. Let them fear the downvoting. Let them feel bad for being downvoted. Muhahaha!

Yeah but I think he's originally referring to the fact that someone can downvote someone else with no reason, just because...

Having upvotes only is a showing of positive re-enforcement, meaning if a post is supported or is a popular view, it's a good way to let the poster know they're on track.

About frustrations and the US constitution, this is a private forum and by posting we're agreeing to follow the rules and ways of this forum.  While it's great to be able to freely express our opinion here, I just don't think it's wise for any user to be able to say anything they want, just because...

His complaint was not that people downvote with no reason, his complaint was that people downvote with no elaboration.  It may have been communication, but it was ineffective communication.  I'm inclined to agree with him, but my original point was that the poster I quoted said that it had no value.  As both Fatal and I seem to agree, it has minimal value.  

Having only upvotes provides a false representation of the agreement with the poster.  After all, who cares how many people saw it?

I would appreciate it if you reread my post.  I did not try to invoke the US constitution, I stated that the original quote I made and my subsequent discussion were discussing speech in a similar manner to how the US constitution has been interpreted to refer to speech (though rereading the post I quoted it is less obvious whether Fatal or I is correctly interpreting the post).  

Edited by Kyrkitao

According to this thread based on upvotes, downvotes are both a GOOD and BAD thing and should be re-added and removed. So much helpful feed back.

The problem with this is that it assumes that Upvotes/Downvotes would be an accurate show of Right/Wrong in the first place - which they aren't. It isn't entirely strange to have ridiculously outlandish claims get a ton of upvotes. You where just as likely to see a valid and constructive post upvoted as some wild statement like "PvP ruins all games: Fact"

If you thought Up/Down votes would show anything before this aside from whether or not a topic was a popular opinion then you've got some stuff to sort out.

It isn't really the forums fault if you can't be bothered to read a thread and decide for yourself how valid the information you are seeing is.

I would be fine with this. Disagreement is hard to gauge if only people who like the idea are upvoting it. Seeing the OP's post stay neutral and other posts in thread more positive will send a signal the idea isn't favored. Granted that the positive posts provide constructive criticism.

But honestly I want downvotes back. Spines need to be grown and hardened. People need to think out their posts more. Let them fear the downvoting. Let them feel bad for being downvoted. Muhahaha!

People already did feel bad for being down-voted. Or confused, because too many people don't provide anything along with their down-vote.

It's like you say, spines need to be grown and people need to think out their posts more. Instead of down-voting out of spite and hurt feelings, some people could actually post something.

But I doubt they would think out their posts if that's the manner in which they would respond before...

I'm sorry that you seem to be personally offended by this XD

I am personally offended, I don't like direct insults.

Edited by FatalX7

The problem with this is that it assumes that Upvotes/Downvotes would be an accurate show of Right/Wrong in the first place - which they aren't. It isn't entirely strange to have ridiculously outlandish claims get a ton of upvotes. You where just as likely to see a valid and constructive post upvoted as some wild statement like "PvP ruins all games: Fact"

If you thought Up/Down votes would show anything before this aside from whether or not a topic was a popular opinion then you've got some stuff to sort out.

It isn't really the forums fault if you can't be bothered to read a thread and decide for yourself how valid the information you are seeing is.

I'm not saying upvotes/downvotes mean right/wrong. All I'm saying is that the voting system pretty much means nothing right now. After all since everyone has a different opinion everything will get upvoted unless the community as a whole agrees upon it which is less than likely to happen.

Edited by DishSoap

His complaint was not that people downvote with no reason, his complaint was that people downvote with no elaboration.  It may have been communication, but it was ineffective communication.  I'm inclined to agree with him, but my original point was that the poster I quoted said that it had no value.  As both Fatal and I seem to agree, it has minimal value.  

Having only upvotes provides a false representation of the agreement with the poster.  After all, who cares how many people saw it?

I would appreciate it if you reread my post.  I did not try to invoke the US constitution, I stated that the original quote I made and my subsequent discussion were discussing speech in a similar manner to how the US constitution has been interpreted to refer to speech (though rereading the post I quoted it is less obvious whether Fatal or I is correctly interpreting the post).  

Sorry I should have multiquoted with regards to the only upvotes thing.  I wasn't specifically replying to you, but rather some of the other earlier posts.

I didn't say you were invoking the US Constitution, you were referring to that sense of free speech, which could result in posts that are wildly out of context or not staying on topic.  Either way, I'm just going to go back to posting and replying to game specific stuff.  Have a great afternoon peeps!

Any voting system is going to get abused, simple as that

However this atleast makes it to where you have to find a veiw you support or make it yourself

If the issue is a cotnested they'll be strong support on both sides

Edited by FrostWolf

I'm not saying upvotes/downvotes mean right/wrong. All I'm saying is that the voting system pretty much means nothing right now.

Yeah, I figured your intent wasn't exactly how the post read. S'all peachy man.

I think now is the time for feedback of the type we are already seeing. There are a few small threads about alternatives. It'd be good if there was one big thread where people did the discussion of what to do instead of just upvotes. The feedback could help DE line up something better. I'm sure they aren't going to want to leave people dissatisfied.

Yes. We truly need a bright shiny number that does absolutely nothing to tell us whether a post is good or not. [/sarcasm]

Seriously though, the numbers have no point in any case. Sure, I +1 posts I like and -1 posts I don't like, but that's not really going to do anything to the person at the other end. This isn't reddit where upvotes and downvotes matter. A stupid post is a stupid post no matter what, and a good post is a good post no matter what. You just have to actually read it to find out whether you like it now.

Also, at the free speech arguments... lolwhat? Seriously? One, as mentioned, private forums, free speech doesn't apply, two, it's not like they removed your ability to post. You can say what you want, just go to this little box at the bottom, type something, and hit post. Not that hard.

I never read anything about the constitution or freedom of speech. That was never in my mind when I was typing. I can safely say that I don't really care about that and it has nothing to do with what I'm saying in this thread.

Edited by FatalX7

Let's not get into bashing reddit or any other site, ok? That means bad things.

Also, Fatal, that wasn't specifically at you, just at anyone who actually was using free speech as an argument. Kinda roughly skimmed the thread.

Gotta admit it's a silly argument though.

Thank god, i couldn't even post something that was my opinion because people wouldn disagree and then vame the 40 downvotes per post

And then your life would be ruined because ??????

Alternately, maybe that's a sign your opinions could use some work.

Also, Fatal, that wasn't specifically at you, just at anyone who actually was using free speech as an argument. Kinda roughly skimmed the thread.

Nobody was.  That's what happens when you skim.

In my opinion they were toxic to the community.

Disagreement will now come in terms of a structured forum post instead of a button~ hopefully discussions will be better :D

They got rid of Downvotes?

AMERICA

**** YEAH

KILLIN' TROLLS, 1 AFTER THE UH-THER.

And then your life would be ruined because ??????

Alternately, maybe that's a sign your opinions could use some work.

Your mocking was unnecessary though. It takes some courage to post and defend a thread, and if he only met (unnecessary) negative responds it further alienated him from the community and lose the interest to uphold an active role.

You weren't the only one talking about it and my name kept coming up, so I was just sayin'.