The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good Riddance To Downvotes!

Naked

Downvotes were pretty damn Bad, if you think they had no effect your way off.

My best example of how downvotes are bad is I made topic discussing end-game credits, specificly stating countless times I was only talking end game, if you are not at end game you shouldnt be posting as you dont know what its like.

I saw countless posters that disagreed and downvoted me who were new members playing 2 weeks or less, a lot of others were casuals who played for longer but very little and were not at end game.

I got downvoted over 80 times with most of the arguments coming from people who had no clue what they were talking about. The ones who did reach end game and have played long all pretty much agreed with my post.

The downvotes made other people who came in think it was a horrible idea without reading the whole topic and realizing where the downvotes came from. Thus causing even more downvotes and continuing with people who might be neutral.

Eventually it gives off a bad impression about what at the time was a real legit problem. Downvotes contributed nothing positive in the topic.

And this happened to way too many legit thought out posts, downvotes needed to go.

Just a little something for those using "free speech" arguements. The first ammendment only prevents the US government from imposing on your speech not private entities.

Nobody used a free speech argument.

Your mocking was unnecessary though. It takes some courage to post and defend a thread, and if he only met (unnecessary) negative responds it further alienated him from the community and lose the interest to uphold an active role.

OR, maybe it's a sign that some people hate different opinions, and will do anything within their power to make another person feel bad. Up to, and including spamming an arbitrary voting system, rather than actually reading a post.

I liked down votes cause they let me know if I was being a jerk.

It might alert some people that they were being a jerk, and others that they did not have a viewpoint that anyone shared, but it does also occasionally make a person think that everyone disliked their opinion completely even though they did properly support it and have an alternative available for a disliked feature.

Sometimes the down votes were not particularly fair and could discourage people from trying to post their opinion.  But having upvotes without down votes unfortunately skews the viewpoints because some things could get a big group voting it up even though it is a bad idea.  For example some of the pvp ideas are now high in the positive votes, even though before the downvotes were removed posts of the exact same ideas were generally kept very very low or in the negatives.

Downvotes are a negative approach to quick feedback and probably aren't very representative of the average opinion, but the same thing could be said for the upvotes, as well as for a system that doesn't have a counter.  It will be nice to either remove the upvote also and make sure people post their viewpoint, or find some other voting alternative.

Edited by JHarlequin

Nobody used a free speech argument.

It would be a bit pointless to on a private forum that has rules that cater to members from all around the world.

Amusing to see though none the less. :)

Also, for the record and in general (not aimed at anyone in particular) seems we're on the subject, freedom of speech is the right to express your views and your opinion, not be an &#!. :)

Now let's get rid of the up votes shall we? Out with the voting system! :)

Edited by Lifeshield

I need a dislike button for the first post... better yet... I will just post that I am unhappy with not being able to dislike you without you knowing I dislike not having the dislike button to dislike this comment in the first place... but if I did I would dislike it. However I could screen shot this... post it on a site that does have dislike button on it, then dislike it with another account then screen shot that post that was dislike by my own account and post it here where you can see the dislikeness of the first post.... It is far too work to do all of that so I will simply say I dislike the first post, and I dislike not being able to hit a dislike button...

We should just remove the like button since not having a dislike button with the like button is pointless now I am irritable about not having the dislike button with this useless like button.