Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Controller/mouse Prototype] Orokin Alarms - A Developed Proof Of Concept

Azure_Kytia

I've been thinking recently with the addition of Spy 2.0, what kind of Alarm system would the Orokin have? Corpus' are based on problem solving, the Grineer's are based on timing, so I concluded that perhaps Orokin should have a system based on fluid motions. 

What better way to demonstrate those fluid motions than through the Orokin language itself? Have the player use the mouse or gamepad to "write" a word (or a few letters). Each letter has a starting point, generally the left-most end of a line. The player then clicks a button down to "place the pen down", then moves the mouse in the general direction of the script, which fills in as the player writes. Each completed stroke requires the player to release and press the mouse button again, because this is pen-writer simulator 2015.

For console players, a similar experience could be achieved by having them move one of the joysticks to a relevant rotation to progress it forward. Returning the joystick to a neutral position would count as the whole release mechanic. In my implementation, I made one of the face buttons act as the button to activate writing, and the Joystick rotation controls it's flow. Rotation in the direction of the line in order to complete the letter.

I have made a demonstration of the kind of mechanics such a system would implement below; Using Unity, it is a little rough around the edges, but it supports both Mouse and Gamepad input.
http://azurespace.net/TennoTyper/

For those who don't have/wish to install the Unity Plugin for their browser, a short demonstration video is below:

Any Feedback/Suggestions would be appreciated. Edited by Azure_Kyte

I think that would be fine for mouse users but consoles and controller users on PC would probably have a very difficult time with this. Gotta think of the big picture there, probably not a good idea.

This is an imprecise system; This would not be hard to implement in a similarly performing manner for Gamepads. Since I'm using Unity for this proof of concept I will be adding gamepad support soon to demonstrate it further.

Edited by Azure_Kyte

I like this a lot really, though don't see how Xbone players would be able to do it. the PC could trace it with their mouse and PS4 could use the touch pad.

Updated the OP with a proof of concept, if you could link your PS4 controller to your PC it should work. Can't specifically test that myself as I'm using a Logitech Dual Action old skool gamepad, but Joypad Axis and button mapping should be identical between the two devices.