The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Despair All That Special?

(PSN)IkariWarrior83

Question

I ran a mission last night, Stalker popped out, and I ended him and he dropped Despair. I started building it in my foundry, and then I looked up its stats in the Codex. The 40 puncture damage is impressive, but it has abysmal crit and proc chances. Does it have anything special to set it apart from other throwing knives? For example, I know Dread has RIDICULOUS punch-through. Does Despair feature anything similar, or something else unique?

Considering the Stalker Pack goes for 800p in the market place, I figure Dread, Despair, and Hate are all great in their own way, but statistically, Despair doesn't look very impressive.

When giving your input, please let me know how Despair is on its own. I already have the Synoid Gammacor and I know it's ZOMGMAXDPS. I just wanna know if this is a weapon worth putting a catalyst in, or if I should level it to 30 for the mastery points and dump it.

Thanks!

Edited by (PS4)IkariWarrior83

Wait, they have punch through too?  Why did no one mention this previously? lol.  Why put seeker on them if they already have innate punchthrough like Dread?

Correct. I believe the wiki even says they have punch through on them, though I believe the bug was fixed but no one has confirmed it for wiki.

So yes, don't put seeker on them, as your just wasting a slot you could use for something else.

I love these weapons, the only thing I could wish for on them would be a syndiate mod that gives energy. Maybe one day as they are adding more and more weapon mods there.

Best DPS is not the only trait needed for top tier. Your obviously a damage only person, but these have multiple benefits and as mentioned, kill in T4 with ease. There is very little kill time difference that has very little effect on time to kill. So if it takes .5 sec to kill with either weapon, except the gammacore does x3 the damage, it really doesn't matter because it's still not killing any quicker. The fact that they are silent, reload quickly and have innate punch though which is a free mod spot, kills quickly on T4 most definitely makes them top tier.

If it takes 0.5s to kill with either weapon then you are still in low level content where it doesn't matter if you use mediocre or top tier weapons.

If it takes 0.5s to kill with either weapon then you are still in low level content where it doesn't matter if you use mediocre or top tier weapons.

Your missing the point. 

The only place time to kill will make any difference between these and your 'higher dps' options, is 40+ min T4 endless without x4 CP. So again, they are top tier with a lot of benefits. Maybe you only value damage, but I assure these will more than adequately function for any part of this end game. If you don't consider that top tier than your opinion means nothing to me, and anyone reading the logic behind this would agree.

Your missing the point. 

The only place time to kill will make any difference between these and your 'higher dps' options, is 40+ min T4 endless without x4 CP. So again, they are top tier with a lot of benefits. Maybe you only value damage, but I assure these will more than adequately function for any part of this end game. If you don't consider that top tier than your opinion means nothing to me, and anyone reading the logic behind this would agree.

The point of a weapon is to kill the enemy. A weapon that kills an enemy twice as fast as another weapon is better.

Of course it doesn't matter if you don't play content so high level. It still doesn't make the worse weapon the same level as the better one.

Crit and status only matter on guns where it is high enough to mod up. There aren't that many guns that have it in the grand scheme of things. What matters is that they do great damage in much fewer shots than Hikou Prime. Despair is my go-to Thrown secondary, as Castanas didn't live up to my expectations.

The point of a weapon is to kill the enemy. A weapon that kills an enemy twice as fast as another weapon is better.

Of course it doesn't matter if you don't play content so high level. It still doesn't make the worse weapon the same level as the better one.

I'm not really sure what your trying to debate here as your not really making a valid argument other than throwing out vague responses.

And I'm NOT debating that higher damage kills faster, nor that this weapon is THE best damage.

The only point I've been making in regards to you is that these are top tier secondary weapons as they can be used to complete this end games content without much difficulty.

And hey, no need to be flame baiting, it's not helping your argument.

Correct. I believe the wiki even says they have punch through on them, though I believe the bug was fixed but no one has confirmed it for wiki.

So yes, don't put seeker on them, as your just wasting a slot you could use for something else.

I love these weapons, the only thing I could wish for on them would be a syndiate mod that gives energy. Maybe one day as they are adding more and more weapon mods there.

Ah, so no one mentioned it because the punch-through was a bug? lol  Should be a feature of the weapon, considering its relatively unremarkable base stats.  Hopefully De doesn't fix it.

You're missing the point. 

Guys, this thread about how the weapon stands on its own.  No need to turn this into a "Which weapon is God Tier" argument.  It seems that every weapon can be "end game" with 8 forma and a catalyst, but we don't need to debate that here, lol.

Crit and status only matter on guns where it is high enough to mod up. There aren't that many guns that have it in the grand scheme of things. What matters is that they do great damage in much fewer shots than Hikou Prime. Despair is my go-to Thrown secondary, as Castanas didn't live up to my expectations.

Yeah, I know crit and stat don't matter on the Despair, hence my creation of this thread :).  I'll be sure to mod for damage and see where it goes!

Ah, so no one mentioned it because the punch-through was a bug? lol  Should be a feature of the weapon, considering its relatively unremarkable base stats.  Hopefully De doesn't fix it.

Guys, this thread about how the weapon stands on its own.  No need to turn this into a "Which weapon is God Tier" argument.  It seems that every weapon can be "end game" with 8 forma and a catalyst, but we don't need to debate that here, lol.

Yeah, I know crit and stat don't matter on the Despair, hence my creation of this thread :).  I'll be sure to mod for damage and see where it goes!

I've just been trying to point out and answer to your question that this weapon will more than succeed at the game and are top shelf. Not godly.

And no, you have it a bit backwards. The weapons are designed with punch through as I understand it, though the glitch was the punch through was only working on host prior. But easy enough for you to test, find a lower level mob that won't kill you, throw one knife and see if it kills more than one. Try it on host, and try it with a buddy quick off host.

Works for me all the time.

I've just been trying to point out and answer to your question that this weapon will more than succeed at the game and are top shelf. Not godly.

And no, you have it a bit backwards. The weapons are designed with punch through as I understand it, though the glitch was the punch through was only working on host prior. But easy enough for you to test, find a lower level mob that won't kill you, throw one knife and see if it kills more than one. Try it on host, and try it with a buddy quick off host.

Works for me all the time.

Ah, I misunderstood the bug, thank you for clarifying.  If the knives are indeed designed that way, then I will keep them regardless.

And I know you were trying to answer my question with regard to the weapon's tier/status, but it was starting to get a bit flamey and I'm trying to nip it in the bud :)  I appreciate all your input.

Wait, they have punch through too?  Why did no one mention this previously? lol.  Why put seeker on them if they already have innate punchthrough like Dread?

Well I'm pretty sure they don't have innate punch trough, they do however work like bolt weapons, where if they kill and enemy they send him flying and deal the kill shot damage to the next enemies the body hits. I added seeker so I can shoot through cover and start hitting enemies in a row even if the first one isn't dead yet.

In the end it's a matter of preference you can forgo seeker if you think the flying bodies are enough utility or if you want to stack on more damage.

At the point where you have bore and three 90% elementals I would probably go for an expel grineer/corpus/infested mod as that will give better damage than another element.

Edited for spelling errors :p

Edited by PAX_NL

Well I'm pretty sure they don't have innate punch trough, they do however work like bolt weapons, where if they kill and enemy they send him flying and deal the kill shot damage to the next enemies the body hits. I added seeker so I can shoot through cover and start hitting enemies in a row even if the first one isn't dead yet.

In the end it's a matter of preference you can forgo seeker if you think the flying bodies are enough utility or if you want to stack on more damage.

At the point where you have bore and three 90% elementals I would probably go for an expel grineer/corpus/infested mod as that will give better damage than another element.

Edited for spelling errors :p

Afaik difference between Despair and Kunai before damage 2.0 was that Despair had armor ignore and Kunais were stagger on hit. So Despair should have punch through now, tho i didnt pay much attention to the physics behind all this.