Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe's Vibe Is Dissipating With Almost Every Update (Read Before Insta-Hate)

(PSN)kiddplay13

People are so negative. This isn't a complaint thread, it's a discussion thread. 

Saying "deal with it" isn't a discussion. It's neither constructive nor does it contribute to the topic. It just shows what an ignoramus you are.

There are a bunch of people here who get that this is a discussion thread, and (even through not everyone agrees with the OP) they are able to provide a seemingly educated argument. 

Point being, please give some thought to your post - not just "OP is dumb" or "here we go again".

That said,

kiddplay13: I've posted many threads like this in the past, and they've all come to the same conclusion. As DERebecca said, this is the mixing pot of gaming. Am I a fan of it? Nah, I wish DE had stuck to their original designs. They dared to bring an organic/sleek design to a far-future sci-fi game where others would put clanky, robust armor/suits resembling the Terminator.

But, luckily, those old frames have neither been edited or removed. We can still enjoy the old Warframes in our also-organic Lisets, boarding the same tilesets you and I both raided in U7. Warframe has only had things added to it; very few things have been taken away (the only things I can think of are a few asteroid tiles and the original 'raid' game mode. And Mag's uselessness.). 

I see you play on PS4; shoot me a friend request, and let's go on some old-fashioned missions, with some of the older gear/frames, lol.

+1 OP, even if I don't agree 100%

You are also right about harlequins and mirage. Made the mistake because of the similarities between a jester and Harlequin visually.

you could put four legs on him and his hat would be enough to make him a magician, hes not subtle if that the point of the debate

Out of curiosity I had a look at my oldest screenshots on Steam.  My first screenshot was Mag getting into the Liset at extraction so doesn't really show much but the second was Mag in the Jackal boss fight room.  The room isn't any darker or more atmospheric than now and no more so than rooms on the newer Jupiter or Europa maps.

Also found out I have been running a pink energy Ember since at least 12 July 2013.

As to comments about stuff being rushed or unfinished, updates have been delayed so not rushed and don't forget we are beta testers.  Of course stuff sometimes doesn't work.  We play it, report bugs, they fix it.  *Falling through floors since 26 May 2013*

Welp, I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring. Has the vibe changed? Obviously not as people have pointed out. BUT! There has been one thing that's changed, and I think we can all subtly recognize it.

Here's the thing, Warframe has always been incredibly goofy. We're space-ninjas who go around jump-kicking Nazi-clones and Evil-Capitalists; and that hasn't changed, we're still doing that with gusto.

So what's changed? Simple. We recognize that it's goofy now, and the best place to see that is the thing you're staring at right now, and the first thing you see upon starting the game. The forums and the launcher. They used to be dark and dingy looking because the game had this misconception that it was gritty and grimdark (see 40k for another example of this) but then we realized that, hey, this is super goofy. So we decided to throw away the misconception and be true to ourselves. To push the boundaries of possibility and become something that is truly great.

While I do like many many new things that were added and changes introduced, OP definitely has a point, and I'm glad you brought this up again.

A great example is the forums (mirrors the in-game "dilemma" we're talkeing about) : Look at the dark theme. Now at the new theme. Now back to the dark theme. You see, the new theme is cool in its own way, but not exactly what Warframe envisioned to be. Warframe is too bright and colorful in my opinion (can barely see things sometimes, just a grand bouquet of effects and colors), and no, changing brightness and contrast isn't the same thing. If it were, we could simply revert and the guys who want it to be like now "simply adjust the brightness and contrast". 

As I said, it's not that I'm unhappy with its current state, but OP has a point there.

Edited by xxx7

Tilesets haven't gotten brighter, the corpus ship/s and grineer asteroids are basically the same with a few improvements. The newer tilesets are in some cases brighter, and i would have thought the reason obvious

phobos/desert planet= lots of sun,

Earth jungle= look out the window during daytime,

Ice planet= Ice and snow reflect thus brighter and more glare,

Grineer battleships= continues the grineer style seen on asteroid but with more lighting,

The comment about post-apocalyptic, i can understand the point though treating this as a post-apocalyptic game doesn't seem right, more like a few civilizations down the road (civilizations of varying sizes and post-destruction). The game seems to be set part way through a new civilization is all. It makes sense for grineer or corpus to have lights on in there facilities, helps to see oddly enough.

As for the warframes and how the theme has changed over the years, can't say i am bothered, though you seem to have forgotten volt and frost too i think who were also fairly early on, and doesn't fit the animal or person theme.

The space ninja feel? depends on how you play i think and as Rebecca has said is up to choice, if you want to feel like a tank then there are appropriate warframes/weapons/mods to do so same as with the space ninja. Admittedly some weapons and warframes do distance themselves from 'space ninja' but it seems more like DE doesn't want to force it anymore but instead give it as a choice.

Am i troubled about having choices available to me when playing this game? Do i dislike the game evolving? No neither of these bother me. I like content and choice.

I'm offended by any content that strays too far away from the ninja theme. Hydroid and Limbo come to mind. A pirate and a magician in a space ninja game! The day they make a My Little Pony frame I'm out of here for good!

I have a theory about Warframe's shift in tone and atmosphere, and it took an earlier post in this thread to get the cogs turning. I do so agree with that post, though.

Back when the game first started, we were alone and fighting a losing war on every front from numerically superior foes that would not stop. We took our few small victories, and built our own power. We struck quickly and silently, in and out in minutes to get what we wanted/needed. With that, we uncovered more allies (We got more players as the game got more popular). Soon enough we had a Guerilla army of our own that we could use, we had internal strife and saw the formation of the Clans, but working toward a unified goal never changed. Our enemies still had a numerical advantage and it seemed hopeless to even try. 

Gradivus changed everything. Both in the community, and in the lore. It was the first major schism between Tenno Ideology, and it, in my opinion, marked the start of the "New Warframe Atmosphere". We got our PS4 community, and suddenly, we weren't so alone. We proved to be a military force in our own right. Then the snowball effect started. Each fight we won just added more momentum. After a while, the Tenno became the most powerful thing in the system. We are a faction in our own right, composed of not only Tenno, but anyone with the balls to resist Grineer Dominance or Corpus' corrupt executives. 

As we gain power, we become more confident, we start looking to the future and what it brings, instead of living hand to mouth. The tone has shifted, because the conflict in the system is itself shifting to our favour. For every step our enemies take, we're already miles ahead of them, cracking open their secrets and decimating their forces, making their latest advances meaningless.

But don't worry. Something will happen that puts the Tenno back in their place. Can you guess what that might be? I can.

Back then:Tenno were on the brink of extinction (low playerbase due to it being a new game) the game was designed to be dark back then to create a hopelessness that we are fighting a losing war and the galaxy is doomed.

Now: The Tenno are a full faction and military power to be reckoned with. We have saved countless colonies and protected many from the actions of the Grineer Corpus and Infested. To the people we are the light in the darkness. The ones that will save them from destruction.

Our relays are the spoils of this fight where we have entire space stations free from the influence of those factions where all are equal and safe from harm.

Overall: Since the beginning we have only become stronger and more able to save the system from its own destruction.

This is a lore transition not a specifically design transition

This +1. 

Welp, I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring. Has the vibe changed? Obviously not as people have pointed out. BUT! There has been one thing that's changed, and I think we can all subtly recognize it.

Here's the thing, Warframe has always been incredibly goofy. We're space-ninjas who go around jump-kicking Nazi-clones and Evil-Capitalists; and that hasn't changed, we're still doing that with gusto.

So what's changed? Simple. We recognize that it's goofy now, and the best place to see that is the thing you're staring at right now, and the first thing you see upon starting the game. The forums and the launcher. They used to be dark and dingy looking because the game had this misconception that it was gritty and grimdark (see 40k for another example of this) but then we realized that, hey, this is super goofy. So we decided to throw away the misconception and be true to ourselves. To push the boundaries of possibility and become something that is truly great.

Grimdark is actually really hard to pull off well. A single joke can result in the entire collapse of the utter seriousness. :L While at the same time, constant despair and misery breeds apathy about everything because why give a S#&$, we can barely do anything to help anyone, let alone ourselves.

As stated in my post Oberon is also in the Non-Warframe Vibe list.

If u didn't know, Oberon is a fairy king from medieval and renaissance period literature. This is why, I believe, DE made him look like a deer to give him the i-am-nature 'vibe'. The 'loin cloth' is something that paladins usually have. Try searching paladin images on the web and you'll see what I mean.

My opinion on the topic as a cbt vet is Warframe is fine. I like the transition. 

Prior to current Updates, the game's lore was based entirely around us being extinct. Now that we have thousands running around the lore needs to dynamically change to fit the process. This means that new warframes from the past will make appearances. Tenno were far more than just ninjas. They were soilders, Judges, Juries, Executioners. Self entitled Demi-Gods if you will.

With that in mind also understand that yes we fell in love with Warframe when it was that ninja'esqe type of genre. And to be honest it still is. And even better in multiple ways. Keeping with the Lore if i can, now that we've begun to make a name for ourselves, bring our notoriety throughout the system its time for us to transition from that "all hope is lost" mood. Which is what i feel you all get when you say "darker".

Tenno now have relays, syndicates, Clans,etc, everything that made them a "super power" before. And i feel with DE's change into the Warframe's Design and playstyle they are inevitably changing the lore.

In short the playstyle is different because YOU the player exists. You are changing the game yourself and you dont even know it. You are literally having a dynamic impact on the progression of not only Lore, but designs and playstyles. YOU ARE THE REASON WHY THE GAME IS SO DIFFERENT.

As a community you need to understand this. This is what EVERY community wants in their own way. DE is going about it progressively different than say what a community like Eve online would. Its not that free...yet. Good word Ambitious is...*hint hint*

Anywho my point is that Warframe hasnt diverted too far from its roots to say anything is wrong with it. The story is there the design of where it all began is still there. (Lotus knows its embedded in Xini), I'm fine with the progression. Because if we didnt exist you all as the smaller batch of a community would still be trying to farm a Serration mod off Xini. Good luck with that. :P

TL;DR The game's inital design is still there but the transition is what is throwing you off, yet you dont realize youre having a direct impact on that. The lore and the designs are fine. Just have a little bit of faith

hqdefault.jpg

The problem is Choice.

We Choose to make things as ninja or UN-Ninja like

We Choose to 100% stealth missions or leeroy Rhino through it

We Choose to mod weapons for stealth, or for OMFGWTF damage

We Choose to go Sword Alone, or slap another forma into that gun you love

We Choose our frames that fit out play-styles

All each updated added, was More Choice. I, too, hope that more Ninja options become available in the future.

Best explanation. I've always noticed that usually in video games, when presented more flexibility and complete free will, even muting your character so you choose what they say, etc, people get confused and don't know what to do. It's like there's some mentality that in games you gotta follow the way the game wants you to play, but if it wants you to play any way, then you just don't know what to say. I suppose without guidance people become confused, but every waking hour we are presented with complete and total free will. Apply it to WarFrame. Not many of my friends prefer the stealth route, and usually ridicule me for making Rhino into a speedy and silent assassin, and making Nekros and Loki into tanks. The thing is, despite their abilities, despite.their look, everything in WarFrame is blank, leaving customization totally up to the player. You can play whoever and whatever you want however you want, because of the CHOICE we are presented with! and it's great.

TL;DR:

Yeah I agree with you.

Meanwhile random "cloaks", flappy shoulderpieces and such are completely fine and has been part of the game since forever.

If you check her "clothes" they have a dedicated function to them, containing ammo packs, explosives and such. If you'd strip her down to the basics, she'd probably be as ambiguous as any other frame.

And let's not even get started on the number of people who want capes and hoods and whatnot XD

I think its about that time where he title gets changed to a more "How has/does this game progress" kinda title.

As I'm reading the posts I see those that realize THIS is the RPG we've been waiting for, one who's world we literally have influence on.

DE has given us the roadmap but WE are the ones deciding the path to the ultimate destination.

But that's just the thing, the destination is never ending. There will always be new things to do and sights to see in this game so long as DE is running this game the way they want to, which telling us the players where to go but letting us decide the journey to that place

Just so you know, OP, I've been rocking a bright green volt since closed beta. Vibrant colors are not a recent phenomenon. 

Also, your assessment of the two timer periods is heavily biased and rose-tinted. So there's that as well.

For fact-based discussion, both Mesa and Excalibur have been designed and modeled by the same person, Mynki. U8 as a timeline has 0 relation to Warframe concepting and creation.

Mynki is the Orokin, designing all the frames as they are aesthetically pleasing to him.

All Hail Orokin Mynki!

Yeah, I guess that's true. It's kinda like this.

Before

maxresdefault.jpg

After

batmanandrobin.jpg

Still love the game though. I would prefer it if it had a "darker atmosphere" like before though.

Uhhh... you do realize the order of appearance of those two images you just posted is the reverse, right?

Sure because ninjas is a original concept.

Mesa, Hydroid, Mirage, are all definitely non-ninja, and thus add to the game, while Excalibur mixes a great arthurian theme (Radial Blind is actually based on arthurian legend) with crappy "Ohhhhninja" bullcrap (Slash dash painfully weabo, just delay the damage and your done). We have the Trickster/Assassin Loki, and the Badly mangled lolninja Ash. Luckily, Loki is the better stealth frame.

The new warframes are slowly leaving this annoying ninja crap behind and that's good, very very good.

Now I'm terrified for the new dragon frame...seems that all the new frames since Hydroid have been a miss at their design...God knows what's in store for the dragon frame coming out....a frame wearing tuxedo, with fat thighs and dangly bits everywhere with messed up color options. No hype and no expectations at all until they make a frame that looks like the old ones.

Edited by GKDK

I'm offended by any content that strays too far away from the ninja theme. Hydroid and Limbo come to mind. A pirate and a magician in a space ninja game! The day they make a My Little Pony frame I'm out of here for good!

You mean you don't want Sharona-chan?

warframe___sharona___chan_by_redskittlez

Eh, I continue to see the ninja idea behind Warframe as more

than

So it doesn't bother me much.

Edited by Morec0