Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Utility Or Power? Both?

So, there comes a time where one chooses to invest into either power, utility, or a hybrid of the two (though not always the best of decisions, in my opinion).

The Rhino frame (since it's so bloody popular...) for example: You could go full blown Power Strength and have an amped up Rhino Stomp, Roar, and Iron Skin, but Roar will be gimped in terms of utility (meaning that it will last mere seconds) and you can not CC as often with the Stomp later on (due to the higher cost). Iron Skin will be ripped apart in the late game, making recasting it sometimes lethal. Alternatively, you can roll a Stomp friendly Rhino, where you can use it often and it reaches far. Roar will be affected as well, giving it a longer reach. However, the Roar will be weaker than the Power Strength Rhino and Iron Skin will be weak. There's also the Rhinbro, whom is a hybrid of the Stomp and Roar. They don't have as strong abilities as the Power Strength, but their Roar lasts longer, their Stomps are more often, and they can take a few hits. I've always preferred to roll the hybrid for Rhno, though it's easily acceptable for the two (that I mentioned, since there are... some crazy [creative?] people out there) to be used depending on their situation.

Synoid Gammacor [don't sigh, I'm going somewhere with this one] is known for its strength. It can reach damage that outclasses primary weapons (which is not a shocker considering how long Warframe felt based around secondary weapons...) and is also able to reach a bit of utility at the cost of pure damage, though no one is at fault for going for the full power of the Synoid Gammacor. However, despite its strength, it cannot compare to the utility of another [lesser liked] secondary known as "Tysis". Tysis cannot even remotely reach the damage of the Synoid Gammacor, but it quite easily outclasses many weapons in terms of utility. It is innately Corrosive, which makes it capable of stripping down the heaviest of armors in a short amount of time, but that's just the tip. Tysis can reach 100% status chance, which makes it able to strip armor and (just as an example, since I toy around with all of the elements on this thing) proc Blast constantly, which is pretty good (in terms of utility).

I feel like the Synoid Gammacor is useful for outright killing in most of the game's content, while Tysis is there for when sheer power fails. Giving up the ability to kill with a secondary in order to CC and blight your enemy enough to give you room.

What do you prefer? Power, utility, or a bit of a hybrid? Everything up above is more or less just examples.

If you don't have damage then you don't get kills, if you don't get kills then you aren't doing your job

Utility is nice and all, and scales really well, but IMO most people overrate it.

Take Mirage for instance, the way I build her is pure weapon damage, I get my stacks, and I end up outputting more damage than 8 normal Tenno combined. 

Utility wise I can't offer much, but death is the most permanent form of CC, and for anything where I'm not running hour long missions, that ends up working better, I can reliably carry bad teammates to victory, just because I hit so hard.

Sure I could take my Loki, and disarm, Kite, and take out key targets, but Scrubs-mc-noob isn't going to know how to take advantage of that, He's going to run off on his own and die again, and again, leaving me to pick up the slack. On Loki, you can do it, but with Offensive Mirage there is no slack  to begin with because I'll be off on my own taking half of the spawns, and pretty much playing solo, meaning that Scrubs-mc-noob and his cronies only have to deal with half of the enemies they normally would.

I guess the point I am trying to get across, is that you need to build the right thing for the right situation, and know how things scale

Edited by Sixty5

I stick with utility.

It's much more fun to play a little with the enemies and it also feels fun to play with, for you and your teammates.

I only main utility frames (vauban, nyx, trinity,.. )  and they stay good even against really high level enemies. I've yet to see a saryn (exterminate build) on a T4 surv/def/MD but come across a lot of utility frames. Pure damage just fails sometimes and then that frame becomes totally useless.

However that synoid gammacor thing is a bit different. Providing kills in survival is also utiliy because of the life support. Therefore I would not recommend bringing 4 Thysis...

i have to go with hybrid i play with max duration nova with as mutch power as possible without sacifising utility, as mentioned above power is nice and all but in the end game no matter how mutch power you have if you can only deal damage that is greatly reduced at later point you will turn from damage dealer to death weigth, so head on killing is not an option in warframe well in late game anyways

WITH an exseption frost maxing out his power and armor makes his snowglobe have 19102 hp with 32s duration (when and if Primed intensify comes out with theoretical +55% PS, with arcane aurora helmet) but alas the way snowglobe is atm exsample, dosent absorb bombards explosions, dosent block railgun moas, dosent block nullifiers (corrupted or not) so limbo with only duration pretty mutch replases frost as long as you can keep enemys at bay

Utility on frames, damage on weapons. That's why my Rhino is built for max range, no damage, and 75% efficiency, I can keep enemies in stasis state for ~3 minutes when I have full energy without picking up energy drops. (energy siphon included)

games aren't fun when you focus on DPS. point-click-kill isn't fun, it makes games no different than cookie clicker

i would much rather have utility, there is already more than enough overkill in this game anyways

people say no damage no kills, well this is true. but not everyone in the squad needs to be getting kills. having a team of glass cannons is a crappy team. sure you can have your carries, but a good team will ALWAYS have supportive roles within it that offer utility like cc or other means of survivability