The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solo Pass Uranus Without Potato?

Afya

Question

Around 2 weeks into the game. Now I just unlocked Uranus, half way on Phobos but I'm getting lost.

My mission frame is Rhino. I have aura mod from friends to add a few points to my frame. I have good mods like Intensify, Stretch, Flow, the energy efficiency one that I forgot its name, redirection, etc.

Weapon I use Boltor with rank6 Serration, plus either 2 elemental damage mod or 1 ele mod+ split chamber. I read about damage 2.0 and tried to utilize it.

Anyway, I feel like I can only do so much with what I now have. Upgrading mods is not an option due to the 30 mod points limit. I feel my gear can only allow me to finish ~lvl25 mission (already discounting boss/endless missions). I think I'll have to stop somewhere in Uranus.

I know the 30 mod points is my limit so I read about potato. Both Rhino and Boltor has a prime so it is probably not worth to invest in the vanilla version. But then some prime part is dropped in T3, T4. So how can a regular player access them? I can ask my friend to carry me in T3, T4 missions. Actually we tried a few times already. However I don't think that's how it should be achieved.

Not only the Rhino, Boltor I'm using, but I think most MR3, 4 weapon ain't worth potato or there's just a prime version. Right now, aside of always seeking help from friends, I am crafting the Quanta and also leveling many crap low rank weapon to try to get to MR6 so I can have the soma (even that has prime version). I think these 2 weapons would worth potato and I can proceed in the planet chart.

Is this how it should be done? Either get carried to get prime parts, or to power level to MR6 to get worthy gear. Sounds wrong to me. Or is it simply my inability of doing mission with unpotato gears?

16 answers to this question

I would recommend putting a reactor in your Rhino at least, because he's worth it even if he has a prime which you yourself admits will take a while to get. Quanta is one of the best weapons in the game so you should slap a catalyst on it as soon as possible. Completing mission will be easier with greater bulk and damage output, you'll get better equipment easier and faster too. 

Edited by KlarVyvern

Unless you are planning on surefire replacing your gear with the prime version in the next few weeks or something, potato them. The only time I don't potato something is if I know for a fact I'm not going to use it after I get it 30.  If I'm planning on using something for any length of time I potato it. 

Theoretically all weapons will become prime at some point in the future, that doesn't negate the tactical advantage of potatoing something that you rely on heavily right now

I would potato the Boltor, but not Rhino because he´s a solid frame, lots of survivavility and the only reason you need potato on him is to increase power strentgh which is not necesary a that point if you have a good weapon in my opinion. Also, don't rush to get your first prime, enjoy the game first before getting tired of grinding :)

I would potato the Boltor, but not Rhino because he´s a solid frame, lots of survivavility and the only reason you need potato on him is to increase power strentgh which is not necesary a that point if you have a good weapon in my opinion. Also, don't rush to get your first prime, enjoy the game first before getting tired of grinding :)

I would suggest the opposite, potato the frame and not the boltor.  Boltor Prime is relatively easy to get with friends, Rhino Prime may be easy-ish to get, but there's no statistical difference between Rhino and its Prime.  Boltor Prime does more damage than Boltor, and has an extra polarity slot which saves time.

Note that a frame and a weapon take different kinds of potato.  If you have a reactor and a catalyst, you could potato them both if you want.  As it is, Rhino + Potato + Aura mod greatly enhances the frame without requiring the prime version.  Max out your Aura Mod, I have an un-potatoed Rhino with a maxed Steel Charge just for the Mod Points.  You have a lot of wiggle room with 48 polarity.

DON'T POTATO YOUR QUANTA! 

Quanta Vandal is coming with U16, supposedly. It has a potato installed and will be an upgrade of regular Quanta. And it's gonna be free. So whatever you do, don't waste your potato on the regular Quanta. 

Edited by elele

I would suggest the opposite, potato the frame and not the boltor.  Boltor Prime is relatively easy to get with friends, Rhino Prime may be easy-ish to get, but there's no statistical difference between Rhino and its Prime.  Boltor Prime does more damage than Boltor, and has an extra polarity slot which saves time.

Note that a frame and a weapon take different kinds of potato.  If you have a reactor and a catalyst, you could potato them both if you want.  As it is, Rhino + Potato + Aura mod greatly enhances the frame without requiring the prime version.  Max out your Aura Mod, I have an un-potatoed Rhino with a maxed Steel Charge just for the Mod Points.  You have a lot of wiggle room with 48 polarity.

I'm not sure about either one. I feel my Rhino's survivability is already very good. Miles better than my other frame Excalibur. It is my small damage to enemy that's holding me back. However I don't "love" Boltor. It is a good gun with great damage but I don't like its spread or the sound/look. Actually I don't "love" Rhino either, it sure is tanky as F*** but it feels sluggish and mindless. I'm just using them to unlock the star chart. 

I only have the blue potato and I will probably give it to the Quanta after it's crafted. I hope that can bring me further in the galaxy.

DON'T POTATO YOUR QUANTA! 

Quanta Vandal is coming with U16, supposedly. It has a potato installed and will be an upgrade of regular Quanta. 

Waaaat. idk now. >_> maybe I'll continue power leveling my mastery.....

I'm not sure about either one. I feel my Rhino's survivability is already very good. Miles better than my other frame Excalibur. It is my small damage to enemy that's holding me back. However I don't "love" Boltor. It is a good gun with great damage but I don't like its spread or the sound/look. Actually I don't "love" Rhino either, it sure is tanky as F*** but it feels sluggish and mindless. I'm just using them to unlock the star chart. 

I only have the blue potato and I will probably give it to the Quanta after it's crafted. I hope that can bring me further in the galaxy.

That clarifies things considerably.  What is your mastery rank?  If you're rank 6, you can build the Soma, and that is much better than the vanilla Boltor.  I would recommend building the Soma and put your potato in that, if you like it.

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't potato anything you don't REALLY like.  So if you're not a fan of Rhino and Boltor, and are just using them because you have nothing better, then save your Potato for weapons and frames you really enjoy.

Blue Potato is Catalyst and only goes in weapons.  I assume you know that, but thought I'd clarify in case you were unsure.

With a Quanta Vandal coming (I didn't realize this was coming soon either) best to save that potato and go for that weapon by any means necessary.  Quanta is probably my favorite weapon in the game, and already have 5 forma in it and will likely do the same with the vandal.

I would have to agree with others saying only potato weapons you enjoy using

As for your situation, I would say start trying other weapons you enjoy and potato one of those.  Have you tried bows yet?  Paris Prime is amazing, or the Dread if Stalker is coming after you.  Or Twin Gremlins was a long time favorite of mine until all these syndicate weapons came out.

Other advice, get Serration up to Rank 8 helps a lot more than potentially other mods you're using.

And if you want weapons that can do more damage, build weapons that have polarity slots in them, that helps the damage output on them quite a bit, even without a potato, particularly V polarity for the base damage/multishot mods.  The two bows I mentioned previously have 2 polarities in them at the start but do not overlook your secondary weapons.   If you like Kunai or Hikou (or lucky enough to get Despair), any of those have potential to be high damage weapons with or without a potato due to have 2 V polarities on them.  You can get a max hornet strike and multi-shot mods on either of those weapons and still have 15 mod points to play with without a potato.  Secondaries can be a powerhouse, do not forget them.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Polarity  has a list of weapons with innate polarities.

The hard missions to solo are defences and mobile defences, everything else you can do no problems, whith Rhino Iron skin protection, Roar buff for extra damage and proper play.  

For defences you need to actively use Stomp to CC enemies. You need to have efficiency mods (Streamline, Fleeting) and some energy restores handy to be able to freely use the abilities.

Anyway I suggest you team up with other new players, its not much fun to solo.

As for modding: Use serration + elements to make either corrosive or radiation and the other combo on your melee, and see what  grineer units are weak vs radiation (elite lancers - they are green, bombards, napalms) and corrosive (heavy gunner, yellow guys with shotguns)  and use appropriate element moded weapon vs them.

ie this minimal Skana build kills lvl~22-25 elite lancer in a single spin attack http://i.imgur.com/ryxmUta.jpg

eSQL4vo.jpg

this is the Rhino build on 44 points (30+14 from aura) http://i.imgur.com/bbIW9pU.jpg  

you dont actually need defence mods if you can switch on Iron skin all the time and Stomp when things get hot, you dont really need flow either cause you are not very likely to max out your energy 

if you are short on cores - uprgade Streamline first, its crucial to be able to use your skills at lower cost

I know the 30 mod points is my limit so I read about potato. Both Rhino and Boltor has a prime so it is probably not worth to invest in the vanilla version. But then some prime part is dropped in T3, T4. So how can a regular player access them? I can ask my friend to carry me in T3, T4 missions. Actually we tried a few times already. However I don't think that's how it should be achieved.

Not only the Rhino, Boltor I'm using, but I think most MR3, 4 weapon ain't worth potato or there's just a prime version.

Don't get caught up in that thinking. Find a base frame that is effective for you both solo and in a squad. Find some low to mid tier weapons that are effective for you and complement each other.

Potato all of them if you can. That becomes solid base for you to build on. I've still got my potato'd non-prime Boltor and Orthos.

And make sure you login for the Anniversary to get your Dex Dakra melee weapon. That one will have a potato already installed.

get to mastery rank high enough to use soma. build soma. kill things with soma until you can get enough resources to get other things like different weapons. also forma are your friend.

Forma are your friend but I wouldn't recommend using them to players who are struggling through the star chart. Leveling things at that point takes a whole lot longer. 

I would suggest possibly working on a good secondary weapon as well - there are a few which are available before MR6 which can definitely be taken through the entire star chart and further, unlike a lot of the marketplace primary weapons. 

The Stug is MR2 and is extremely powerful for a market weapon. Then there is also the AkMagnus, AkVasto and even AkLex which are all excellent secondary choices for medium level content. If you are able to join a clan with the correct research completed you could also access the Marelok at MR5 which will make most primary weapons obsolete until you get much further in to the game.