Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qynchou

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Re-Megathread)

Still don't get why people are acting so hurt about Chroma's appearance. Did Mag Prime, Hydroid, and Limbo cause you this much grief too? Do those ugly frames still hurt you to this day? 

P.S. I don't think Limbo is ugly but i'm using him as an example since he got a ton of grief too.

Still don't get why people are acting so hurt about Chroma's appearance. Did Mag Prime, Hydroid, and Limbo cause you this much grief too? Do those ugly frames still hurt you to this day? 

P.S. I don't think Limbo is ugly but i'm using him as an example since he got a ton of grief too.

Because a lot of people wanted a traditional-dragon-themed frame. That's why. DE didn't deliver that. Simple as that. Add on top of that, the view that the frame is ugly.

Because a lot of people wanted a traditional-dragon-themed frame. That's why. DE didn't deliver that. Simple as that. Add on top of that, the view that the frame is ugly.

That was not a question. These were: Did Mag Prime, Hydroid, and Limbo cause you this much grief too? Do those ugly frames still hurt you to this day?

No problem with Mag P. Looks really steampunk.

Hydroid is gimicky, they made a BIG deal of the pirate/parrot sentinell and The tentacles. Oh, and puddle-frame.

Appearance I dont care much for the wobbly "beard" and the bulky body.

Limbo. Well, too much of a costume and a bit out of place, very 3d Gen with Mesa.

I guess he is cool if you like slim manga magicians.

There was not this kind of rage against them. The misstake lie still with getting fan-concepts mixed up with actual DE warframe designs.

Never again.

DE said they were doing the dragon frame, knowing it was very much requested theme. From that point on people jumped on the most popular dragon design concept as a basis for their work, which was a mistake.

DE said they were doing the dragon frame, knowing it was very much requested theme. From that point on people jumped on the most popular dragon design concept as a basis for their work, which was a mistake.

Precisely. If DE said they were going to do an infested theme, people would have automatically assumed it would be Typhus and expect that look and nothing else. When they should know that First, DE said popular/requested THEME and not popular/requested CONCEPT. Second, DE might change the appearance of fan submitted things to fit the Warframe universe so it doesn't look out of place. They said this in a devstream when they were showing the infested juggernaut. It was changed a bit to fit the Warframe theme and universe but kept the general idea. That said, the dragon concept people automatically assumed we would be getting didn't fit the Warframe theme and universe visually. So even if DE used that concept it wouldn't look exactly like what they would hope for.

That was not a question. These were: Did Mag Prime, Hydroid, and Limbo cause you this much grief too? Do those ugly frames still hurt you to this day?

Sorry. I was giving you the answer to "why people are acting so hurt about Chroma's appearance". That answer should also answer why not Mag Prime, Hydroid, and Limbo. That's why. Because a lot of people wanted a traditional dragon, because DE said they were giving those people (the ones who long requested a dragon frame) what they had been asking for, and because DE ended up not giving them what they had been asking for (what many wanted was a traditional, easily recognizable dragon frame, not a barely recognizable dragon frame or obscure dragon frame). That's why there is so much fuss about Chroma.

Sorry. I was giving you the answer to "why people are acting so hurt about Chroma's appearance". That answer should also answer why not Mag Prime, Hydroid, and Limbo. That's why. Because a lot of people wanted a traditional dragon, because DE said they were giving those people (the ones who long requested a dragon frame) what they had been asking for, and because DE ended up not giving them what they had been asking for (what many wanted was a traditional, easily recognizable dragon frame, not a barely recognizable dragon frame or obscure dragon frame). That's why there is so much fuss about Chroma.

I'd go a step further... not only was there a want for a dragon theme, but it went a step further when DE dropped the 'D&D Chromatic Dragon' teaser. This is literally drawing a picture in our head of what to expect. My opinion, they should have kept their mouths shut on that front... considering D&D dragon designs are INCREDIBLY mainstream.

Most people heard that on the stream and probably did a google search. DE dug their own grave, built their own casket and jumped right the hell in the hole, box and all.

Pre-Chroma:

"Give us more frames based off of eastern cultures! Ninjas and samurais!"-Forums

Post-Chroma:

"WTF THIS ISN'T A WESTERN DRAGON!!"-Forums

I'd go a step further... not only was there a want for a dragon theme, but it went a step further when DE dropped the 'D&D Chromatic Dragon' teaser. This is literally drawing a picture in our head of what to expect. My opinion, they should have kept their mouths shut on that front... considering D&D dragon designs are INCREDIBLY mainstream.

Most people heard that on the stream and probably did a google search. DE dug their own grave, built their own casket and jumped right the hell in the hole, box and all.

Yes, that too. D&D Chromatic Dragons:

tumblr_mo4al7M8bw1r21rsxo1_500.png

I'm thinking something like that. I do think they should've immediately distanced their dragon frame from traditional depictions of dragons. They should've made an effort to do that. They really should've never said they were doing what the community wanted.

Pre-Chroma:

"Give us more frames based off of eastern cultures! Ninjas and samurais!"-Forums

Post-Chroma:

No, it's "WTF THIS ISN'T A WESTERN OR EASTERN DRAGON!!", because it doesn't look like either.

People are also forgetting that most frame themes aren't visible until you use their powers as well. The sad part about this situation is that even if Chroma's powers make him look like a really badass dragon, people will still complain about his looks.

Pre-Chroma:

Post-Chroma:

It's not eastern either : https://www.google.pl/search?q=eastern+dragon&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=dPEFVcGoBIfXyQO15ICwAQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

who knows what that actually is...

No, it's "WTF THIS ISN'T A WESTERN OR EASTERN DRAGON!!", because it doesn't look like either.

It honestly does. Eastern dragons have long snouts compared to the rest of their head.

There's also the fact that dragons don't exist so there is no right answer one what a dragon looks like.

Literally have of those have long snouts.

(PS you guys realize chroma's entire head isn't a dragon head right? He's wearing a dragon headress as has been shown countless times among these threads)

No they did not cause this much greif. Know why? Because we were not told that we were being given anything specific. We were not given any say and we were forced to go along with it.

Chroma is supposed to be the long requested dragon theme frame. We don't want it to look like crap because it will be the one and only dragon themed frame. We don't think it looks enough like a dragon to warrant the title "dragon themed frame". 

As thin as Chroma "straw" through which he breaths fire out ?

It's long and thin. It's not dragon-like. Proportions are way off. That's way ppl are seeing an ant-eater in it.

There's also the fact that dragons don't exist so there is no right answer one what a dragon looks like.

Actually, did you know the word "dinosaur" wasn't coined until 1841? Prior to that, we used the word "dragon" for any large reptile.

o 3o

EDIT: Oh and as for his head, you folks know there's a thing called Alt Helmets right? :P

As thin as Chroma "straw" through which he breaths fire out ?

It's long and thin. It's not dragon-like. Proportions are way off. That's way ppl are seeing an ant-eater in it.

Yes thats becaus ehis entire head isn't the dragon head. He's a guy wearing a dragon headdress... which makes the proportions work

to illustrate how that deforms the profile with this picture the wolf's jaw starts an inch past their forehead:

recycled_white_wolf_headdress_by_naturep

Q3uiJVo.png

Actually, did you know the word "dinosaur" wasn't coined until 1841? Prior to that, we used the word "dragon" for any large reptile.

o 3o

Neat.  pictured: dragons

fig4.jpg

-snip- 

is that a real Wolfs head on that girls head? 

If so then, here comes the animal cruelty people

There is more to Chroma that will be revealed as Tenno wield his power.

Can't tell if this is something to be excited about, or just trying to cover up something 

Can't tell if this is something to be excited about, or just trying to cover up something 

I'm pretty sure that's referring to how different elements change his powers. If they chance his appearance than that means each element would give him a different appearance.

I'm pretty sure that's referring to how different elements change his powers. If they chance his appearance than that means each element would give him a different appearance.

Seeing as the DnD chromatic dragons all have different appearance based on thiercolor, this does make sense. But for DE to design 4 different designs for 1 frame seems like stretching it. But i'm certain on ability will change his look

Precisely. If DE said they were going to do an infested theme, people would have automatically assumed it would be Typhus and expect that look and nothing else. When they should know that First, DE said popular/requested THEME and not popular/requested CONCEPT. Second, DE might change the appearance of fan submitted things to fit the Warframe universe so it doesn't look out of place. They said this in a devstream when they were showing the infested juggernaut. It was changed a bit to fit the Warframe theme and universe but kept the general idea. That said, the dragon concept people automatically assumed we would be getting didn't fit the Warframe theme and universe visually. So even if DE used that concept it wouldn't look exactly like what they would hope for.

Not everyone who is unhappy with Chroma's look is unhappy because they wanted or expected that concept.

You're pigeonholing the complaints and the complainers into a certain box in an attempt to invalidate their stance.

Pre-Chroma:

Post-Chroma:

No. Chroma doesn't have the shapes used for eastern dragons in the classic representations. 

It honestly does. Eastern dragons have long snouts compared to the rest of their head.

(PS you guys realize chroma's entire head isn't a dragon head right? He's wearing a dragon headress as has been shown countless times among these threads)

It honestly doesn't. Eastern dragons do have long heads but not long, thin snouts with bulbous ends. Chroma's helm is just not similar.

Yes thats becaus ehis entire head isn't the dragon head. He's a guy wearing a dragon headdress... which makes the proportions work

to illustrate how that deforms the profile with this picture the wolf's jaw starts an inch past their forehead:

Neat.  pictured: dragons

The proportions and shapes still don't "work" in this case. No traditional dragons top head portion is shaped like Chromas. 

BTW those pictures you linked are a of a crocodile and an alligator.

Most likely the art team was going for "weird" on purpose because they want to. Which is their choice..just don't pretend it isn't weird.

People are also forgetting that most frame themes aren't visible until you use their powers as well. 

That is arguable.

The sad part about this situation is that even if Chroma's powers make him look like a really badass dragon, people will still complain about his looks.

There is a fair amount if time spent where powers aren't being used.

Yes, that too. D&D Chromatic Dragons:

tumblr_mo4al7M8bw1r21rsxo1_500.png

I'm thinking something like that. I do think they should've immediately distanced their dragon frame from traditional depictions of dragons. They should've made an effort to do that. They really should've never said they were doing what the community wanted.

That is a darn good point. 

DE said "dragon theme", something the community has been asking for, they said the powers are like the chromantic dragon from d&d, then named it Chroma.

Of course a lot of folks are going to expect a certain look similar to the D&D chromantic Dragon.

Instead it doesn't quite share the shapes with any dragon of classical myth.

Not everyone who is unhappy with Chroma's look is unhappy because they wanted or expected that concept.

You're pigeonholing the complaints and the complainers into a certain box in an attempt to invalidate their stance.

No. Chroma doesn't have the shapes used for eastern dragons in the classic representations. 

It honestly doesn't. Eastern dragons do have long heads but not long, thin snouts with bulbous ends. Chroma's helm is just not similar.

The proportions and shapes still don't "work" in this case. No traditional dragons top head portion is shaped like Chromas. 

BTW those pictures you linked are a of a crocodile and an alligator.

Most likely the art team was going for "weird" on purpose because they want to. Which is their choice..just don't pretend it isn't weird.

Ya eastern dragons have long snouts. They just do its one of those defining features... That compounded with it being a headress like I showed makes it look super long.

And ya I did link to crocodiles because I was responding to someone who said any large reptile is a dragon.

-snip-

No, i'm not pigeonholing anyone and most people did expect that concept. Why do you think the thread to it was linked/mentioned so many times? Quoting me about the theme not being inherently visible until powers are used is redundant. I did say MOST frame themes aren't visible until powers are used. What are you usually doing in the "fair amount of time" when you aren't using your powers? Even then you can just switch to another frame if you want something to stare at. Most of what you're saying about Chroma is very subjective. How can you decide what can, what is, and can't work for Chroma as if it is fact? "Don't pretend it isn't weird." Who is pretending? Pretty sure the people that like Chroma either like the weirdness or don't see anything weird about him at all.

People need to stop saying "traditional" dragon because it is subjective. What might be traditional to them might not be traditional to someone else. Specify the type of dragon with notable traits.