Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Re-Megathread)

Qynchou

No see this is where you guys are sticking your heads up your !. You want this beautiful dragon frame that looks like various dragons you know to be, but its not and thats too bad. Its draogn in nature not necessarily look (although it has draconic elements to it people choose to ignore). Ugly is not bad, 'unapealing' would be, but its only unapealing to you because you had such different hopes for it. It looks fine, it fits in the universe just fine, its just not pretty and so what. Also looking around the forums, certainly of course for female frames, yea people would love that and those designs are terrible.

Way to generalize and insult an entire group based on what I said... that I'm not even part of.

I think the frame looks ugly. I think it looks bad. I think it looks unappealing. I already stated why in the OP, read that. Not because he doesn't look like a typical dragon (although if he did it could've helped a bit), but because he looks over-complicated and over-designed from what I saw, which I don't like. Re-read the OP, I don't want to type it all again. 

Perhaps... seems a little strange, though, considering the infested Hivemind's been attacked quite a few times before. Why does he seem so surprised. He's not stating a fact "You attack us, but we are your flesh" he's asking a question, trying to figure it out "Why do you destroy us?". I think he's seeing our frames, seeing the Technocyte that constructs them and the Infested both, and being unable to understand why something that is supposed to be the same as him is attacking and killing the hivemind.

Curious at the same time is his request of "consume us. be reborn". Strange thing to say... But this is a creature that has been living by feeding on organic material for centuries upon centuries, as all Infested are likely capable of, so such may only be natural for him to think... or it might be he's mistaking us, and our Technocyte frames, as being there to do what the Technocyte does; consume, evolve.

Similarly, consider that Lephantis was being developed as a weapon for the Old War... what else what developed as a weapon for the Old War? In particular by a scientist named Davis and his narrator friend... Yes, the creature from the RPC - the Proto-Rhino, the dawn of the Warframe though not the first true frame.

IMO, the Warframes are a variation of the Technocyte, something of a split in its developmental evolution. On one hand you have it being made into Warframes, occupied by the Tenno for use in the old War, on the other you have the biological weapon as it was in Dark Sector. A warm. A hivemind. A monstrous nightmare.

No, the Warframes aren't Technocyte.

No, the Warframes aren't Technocyte.

This is a bold claim. I'd like supporting evidence, because everything I've seen and the evidence I've pointed out there seems to be a rather direct connection. Heck, the RPC to Lephantis connection alone would support such a theory.

This is a bold claim. I'd like supporting evidence, because everything I've seen and the evidence I've pointed out there seems to be a rather direct connection. Heck, the RPC to Lephantis connection alone would support such a theory.

The Tenno themselves are covered in Technocyte, and that happens before they're put into Warframes. Rhino Prime's Codex entry. The Warframes are steel, iirc. Excalibur Prime's Codex entry. There's also the issue with the Warframes themselves not actually looking like Technocyte.

Ugly is bad. Nobody said it should be some cute kawaii frame hopping around baking cakes; but it shouldn't be unappealing and look like it was just a bad design choice. Ugly isn't awesome. Ugly is ugly. 

Its' appeal is based on opinion. Just because a group of people don't like it, doesn't mean it's terrible. Some people think murder is okay. That doesn't make it okay.

Either way, the way Chroma looks in the tiny bit of video we have seen is what it looks like untouched by the cosmetic touch of warframe. Once that thing is released, it will be changed with palettes, scarfs, and various attachments. It won't look like it did in the video.

I know it's cheesy, but to quote many people, "Don't judge a book by its' cover." Just because it looks bad, doesn't mean it's bad. You haven't used it, you haven't seen it with extra cosmetics. You've only seen it in about 10 seconds of animation, with its' default looks.

Edited by CoRRh

And why do we exactly getting back to square one ? Bickering about his looks ?

State your opinion ugly/wonderful and don't try to convert cheretics that think exactly opposite thing to You.

Give up friend, Letter13 said the same thing and well you can see what changed.

My problem with him is the whole seahorse/seadragon thing. Yeah, he looks like one. Yeah, it would be a cool design for an aquatic frame. I don't much care for it, cause the upper limbs (hips and shoulders) look kind of bulky and don't flow with the rest of it, but there are things I dislike about nearly every frame, and some are smaller than others... even my favorite frame aesthetically, Volt (I can't stand his default helmet. Storm fixes him though).

But you're trying to tell me that's a fire-breathing dragon frame? Ha. Hahaha. No. It isn't. It's a dainty little sea-anteater. He isn't nearly reptilian or imposing enough to be a true dragon-frame.

EDIT: @Morec0, pretty sure they're right. Most things indicate that the Warframes have no direct connection to the infestation. Most of the Prime equipment that gives a composition states that it is made of "tempered rubidium," and I don't imagine the frames are any less conventional, relatively speaking. The infested were a weapon developed by the Orokin alongside the Tenno, is the impression I've always gotten--the Tenno themselves came from the Void.

Regardless, Lephantis' statements are a pretty shoddy basis for any of the claims you've made. There are simply too many ways to interpret his statements. "We are your flesh," could be a literal pointer to a shared root in the technocyte plague, as you've taken it. Or it could refer to the fact that he likely remembers the old war, when he was your ally--your family and flesh metaphorically, or less likely simply a possessive since he was "your" weapon. It could refer to the fact that the infested are assimilated humans, and he is presumably built up from the corpses of devoured humans... and thus our kin, in a sense. There are probably even more ways to think about it, that haven't occurred to me off the top of my head.

Edited by Siubijeni

My problem with him is the whole seahorse/seadragon thing. Yeah, he looks like one. Yeah, it would be a cool design for an aquatic frame. I don't much care for it, cause the upper limbs (hips and shoulders) look kind of bulky and don't flow with the rest of it, but there are things I dislike about nearly every frame, and some are smaller than others... even my favorite frame aesthetically, Volt (I can't stand his default helmet. Storm fixes him though).

But you're trying to tell me that's a fire-breathing dragon frame? Ha. Hahaha. No. It isn't. It's a dainty little sea-anteater. He isn't nearly reptilian or imposing enough to be a true dragon-frame.

EDIT: @Morec0, pretty sure they're right. Most things indicate that the Warframes have no direct connection to the infestation. Most of the Prime equipment that gives a composition states that it is made of "tempered rubidium," and I don't imagine the frames are any less conventional, relatively speaking. The infested were a weapon developed by the Orokin alongside the Tenno, is the impression I've always gotten--the Tenno themselves came from the Void.

Regardless, Lephantis' statements are a pretty shoddy basis for any of the claims you've made. There are simply too many ways to interpret his statements. "We are your flesh," could be a literal pointer to a shared root in the technocyte plague, as you've taken it. Or it could refer to the fact that he likely remembers the old war, when he was your ally--your family and flesh metaphorically, or less likely simply a possessive since he was "your" weapon. It could refer to the fact that the infested are assimilated humans, and he is presumably built up from the corpses of devoured humans... and thus our kin, in a sense. There are probably even more ways to think about it, that haven't occurred to me off the top of my head.

Some frames don't blatantly look like their theme. Rhino doesn't look like a Rhino at all except for the fact that he is fat like one. His name becomes more fitting when you use his powers. Even though it's only charge and arguably iron skin that fits a rhino. I'm with Morec0 on the Warframes being a controlled and repurposed form of Technocyte. Too many instances in the game support it being a possibility, unlike the energy being theory. Both Infested and Warframes have a somewhat organic appearance. 

Edited by EmptyDevil

I don´t think Chroma looks like a dragon, but he has analogies to draconic features, altough very abstract, so at least in essence i do think he is a dragon, just like I think Excalibur horn is an abstraction of the sword in the stone.

On another note Dnd chromatic dragons go like this

Red-fire (obviously)

White- ice

Blue- electricity

Green- does a poison cloud

Black- does a corrosive breath 

Not sure if they are gonna use poison or corrosive, but they mentioned in the stream the breath attack was one of his offensives maneuvers, and if they recommend using several chromas on missions it could be that we can actually "cross the streams" and get a composite element, if the 4 colors go into a mission you could potentially breath corrosive clouds, then change it to a radioactive cloud, or cc with a blast breath.

And I keep getting the idea that those vestigial wings grow into wings made out of the element you choose.

Some frames don't blatantly look like their theme. Rhino doesn't look like a Rhino at all except for the fact that he is fat like one. His name becomes more fitting when you use his powers. Even though it's only charge and arguably iron skin that fits a rhino. I'm with Morec0 on the Warframes being a controlled and repurposed form of Technocyte. Too many instances in the game support it being a possibility, unlike the energy being theory. Both Infested and Warframes have a somewhat organic appearance. 

Some frames and infested also share a small visual detail. 

OHtClYe.png

CAHlZ3z.png

iHzUbwX.png

Q6YmITy.png

Pi3WfAr.png

Call them eyes or energy holes but those being present on most frames and them both sharing an semi-organic look, support that they might be made from Technocyte. Not saying it is 100% confirmed but it is something to think about.

Rhino has a horn, and bulky armor. He's a reasonable approximation of a humanoid rhino, just as Chroma is a reasonable approximation of a humanoid sea-horse. That's exactly my problem with him. He's not reptilian. Dragons, in virtually every folklore (including the ones cited by influences), are distinctly reptilian. Even the friendly or lucky ones are also quite physically imposing. Chroma is big... but most of his mass is concentrated in those ridiculous pads at his hips/thighs and shoulders. It's more comical than intimidating.

I haven't heard anything about an energy being theory. I don't subscribe to any particular theory, really... my impression of them has always been what has basically been confirmed by the lore entries--humans altered by exposure to the void. Vor says it himself: "We have been wrong all this time. Tenno do not control the Warframe's divine energy; the Tenno are that energy. Each warframe you control is merely a glass shaping your furious light." The nature of the Tenno themselves is mostly beyond debate at this point--it is the Warframes themselves that have been left vaguely defined. The aesthetics of the frames, particularly the original prime frames, does not line up with the infestation at all. They are much more in line with the prime weapons. And, I believe the Reaper Prime is among the weapons to state this, those are generally made of tempered rubidium. I sincerely doubt that the warframes have any direct relation to the technocyte virus.

Didn't some devstream overview said he is support frame?

well Trinity is a support frame, which could be OP as much as being invincible (as also her whole squad altogether) for quite a long while before DE nerfed it badly, again and again and again, every given Wednesday

now it is only for farming and moral support

well Trinity is a support frame, which could be OP as much as being invincible (as also her whole squad altogether) for quite a long while before DE nerfed it badly, again and again and again, every given Wednesday

now it is only for farming and moral support

Even after her nerfs she is still pretty godly at surviving too.

The Tenno themselves are covered in Technocyte, and that happens before they're put into Warframes. Rhino Prime's Codex entry. The Warframes are steel, iirc. Excalibur Prime's Codex entry. There's also the issue with the Warframes themselves not actually looking like Technocyte.

The issue with the Warframes being nothing but steel is it doesn't explain the origination of the powers from them in the same way Technocyte does. We've seen Technocyte grant abilities, Dark Sector was based off of it, the Eximi Infested and Bosses demonstrate them, and then you have things like Patient Zero's Mutalist Mesa which demonstrate powers without a Tenno, not to mention the established fact of a single Tenno switch between frames to gain the powers (Limbo Theorem) adding credence to the idea.

As for not looking like it: RPC's codex shows us they had been physically molding these creatures. The creature in that thing was no Tenno (at least, not in the way you're approaching it), the narrator would have at least know the Zariman had returned if he had been working on such a thing but as far as he knew a ship that was lost for only a few days never came back, and look again how it's flesh is described: "glinted like steel and fresh blood". Steel. Just like Excalibur's Codex, and with a description of "metal fingers". And, mind you, that's BEFORE it uses it's Iron Skin. Sounds quite a bit like the metal-skinned Infested of Dark Sector to me, victims of the Technocyte.

There was no Tenno in it, it wasn't built as a suit: it was a full creature. "It's skin" "It's mouth" "it's metal fingers" - all identified as belong to it, but Rhino has no mouth, but if it had been wearing a frame why claim it's skin and "metal fingers" as its own? The word frame is not used once in the Codex - which, given the thought that it WAS a Tenno in a frame, you'd think it would have been. Given that context, and the context of it never having come into contact with the ones from the Zariman before then, which given Vor's talk about our characters "energy" and later transformation into "energy" due to the Void pretty much solidifies that the Tenno we play as came from the Zariman in some fashion.

The issue with the Warframes being nothing but steel is it doesn't explain the origination of the powers from them in the same way Technocyte does. We've seen Technocyte grant abilities, Dark Sector was based off of it, the Eximi Infested and Bosses demonstrate them, and then you have things like Patient Zero's Mutalist Mesa which demonstrate powers without a Tenno, not to mention the established fact of a single Tenno switch between frames to gain the powers (Limbo Theorem) adding credence to the idea.

As for not looking like it: RPC's codex shows us they had been physically molding these creatures. The creature in that thing was no Tenno (at least, not in the way you're approaching it), the narrator would have at least know the Zariman had returned if he had been working on such a thing but as far as he knew a ship that was lost for only a few days never came back, and look again how it's flesh is described: "glinted like steel and fresh blood". Steel. Just like Excalibur's Codex, and with a description of "metal fingers". And, mind you, that's BEFORE it uses it's Iron Skin. Sounds quite a bit like the metal-skinned Infested of Dark Sector to me, victims of the Technocyte.

There was no Tenno in it, it wasn't built as a suit: it was a full creature. "It's skin" "It's mouth" "it's metal fingers" - all identified as belong to it, but Rhino has no mouth, but if it had been wearing a frame why claim it's skin and "metal fingers" as its own? The word frame is not used once in the Codex - which, given the thought that it WAS a Tenno in a frame, you'd think it would have been. Given that context, and the context of it never having come into contact with the ones from the Zariman before then, which given Vor's talk about our characters "energy" and later transformation into "energy" due to the Void pretty much solidifies that the Tenno we play as came from the Zariman in some fashion.

I agree, but i think there is 2 strains of the Technocyte virus the first which is similar to what we see in Dark Sector and is probably used in creating the warframes, the second is the Wf version which creates the infected.

The DS variant creates a metallic skin over time aound the infected and humanoid infected stays humanoid in structure while animal like infected stay animal in structure.

The Wf variant doesent seems to create a metallic skin around the victim not even the Lephantis seems to have that and humanoid targets not always retain their humanoid appereance as we can see whith the chargers.

I agree, but i think there is 2 strains of the Technocyte virus the first which is similar to what we see in Dark Sector and is probably used in creating the warframes, the second is the Wf version which creates the infected.

The DS variant creates a metallic skin over time aound the infected and humanoid infected stays humanoid in structure while animal like infected stay animal in structure.

The Wf variant doesent seems to create a metallic skin around the victim not even the Lephantis seems to have that and humanoid targets not always retain their humanoid appereance as we can see whith the chargers.

I can agree with this, though your comment provoked me to actually look into this a little bit. Though the coloration and any kind of reflective effects are different, the kind of texture employed seems to actually match to a certain degree, particularly on the Ancient and Grineer heads:

GolemFullAvatar.png

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/darksector/images/8/8c/288388_full.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120630233533

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/darksector/images/5/5d/5.png.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20120701234104

couldn't copy-paste the images.

Still, that is a bit of a stretch, and actually seems to be somewhat isolated, and your statement about humanoid vs. animal seems to be true - though all we have to go on that so far is the transformation of Grineer Chargers, whereas Runners, Ancients, and even the infested Moas seem to retain the original forms.

All an all, I do think that it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that two strains were adapted: one as a pure biological weapon, the other as something of a molding tool. After all: the greatest warrior in human history was the result of Technocyte infestation, what the Orokin, with all their technology and science, could have done by trying to remake that.

EDIT: A fun little tidbit that amused me for no reason at all: the enemy type of that first linked image is called Chroma. And no: I'm not trying to use that as evidence, I just found it amusing given the circumstances.

Edited by Morec0

How so if I may ask? I mean Hayden even though he was infected with technocyte he wasn't considered an infested because he still retained intellectual features.

Also the infested in warframe are hive mind like whilst chroma being apart of the tenno isn't so much IMO.

He is covered in infested flesh.

I can agree with this, though your comment provoked me to actually look into this a little bit. Though the coloration and any kind of reflective effects are different, the kind of texture employed seems to actually match to a certain degree, particularly on the Ancient and Grineer heads:

GolemFullAvatar.png

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/darksector/images/8/8c/288388_full.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120630233533

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/darksector/images/5/5d/5.png.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20120701234104

couldn't copy-paste the images.

Still, that is a bit of a stretch, and actually seems to be somewhat isolated, and your statement about humanoid vs. animal seems to be true - though all we have to go on that so far is the transformation of Grineer Chargers, whereas Runners, Ancients, and even the infested Moas seem to retain the original forms.

All an all, I do think that it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that two strains were adapted: one as a pure biological weapon, the other as something of a molding tool. After all: the greatest warrior in human history was the result of Technocyte infestation, what the Orokin, with all their technology and science, could have done by trying to remake that.

EDIT: A fun little tidbit that amused me for no reason at all: the enemy type of that first linked image is called Chroma. And no: I'm not trying to use that as evidence, I just found it amusing given the circumstances.

Yes its a bit of a strech and i see what you mean whith the Lephantis it indeed look similar.Also true that most infested remain similar to their original form, the charger could be the result of the genetical deterioration the grineer suffer from.

Also its not impossible to consider the Orokin tried to replicate Hayden since congenital analgesia is not the sole reason he was able to endure the virus in the game its hinted both he and Mezner received some sort of drug or medication which resulted in their infestation becoming advance in a short time while keeping them sort of sane.

Yeah its kinda funny how both are named Chroma.

Edited by WhiteDagger

ugly isnt bad. ugly may very likely be intended, we dont need waifu frame. Not everything should look beautiful but he looks interesting, dare I say cool in his own way. A beastial almost infected frame? No S#&$ its gonna look ugly, but its awesome that he does.

Ugly is bad. Nobody said it should be some cute kawaii frame hopping around baking cakes; but it shouldn't be unappealing and look like it was just a bad design choice. Ugly isn't awesome. Ugly is ugly. 

These are both true statements. Does everything need to be mass-appealing? No. Should it at least have some appeal? Yes.

Imo, Chroma has that latter. Personally, I think Banshee is unappealing to look that, same for Trinity, same for Frost, same for Vauban. But I know people that ADORE the looks of those frames. Similarly, I think Zephyr, Ash, Valkyr, and, yes, Chroma are all very cool-looking and appealing. And I know there are TONS of people that simply HATE the looks of those frames - the first and last especially.

Is everyone going to agree? No, but at long as a good number of people like it there's not a problem. I will debate you day in and day out about how much all this new-fangled "modern art" craze is absolute S#&$ compared to the Renaissance artists of yore, but there are people that like it, people that'll buy it. The same goes for the art in any other area - Warframe or not, video game or not.

Yes its a bit of a strech and i see what you mean whith the Lephantis it indeed look similar.Also true that most infested remain similar to their original form, the charger could be the result of the genetical deterioration the grineer suffer from.

Also its not impossible to consider the Orokin tried to replicate Hayden since congenital analgesia is not the sole reason he was able to endure the virus in the game its hinted both he and Mezner received some sort of drug or medication which resulted in their infestation becoming advance in a short time while keeping them sort of sane.

Yeah its kinda funny how both are named Chroma.

Aye, that's something of the prevailing theory I've heard and agree with as well. We need more examples, though, when can we get an Infested Bastilla or something?

That's my theory exactly: the Infested were being created as they were, the RPC creature, and later other Warframes, because of Hayden Tenno and his legends. Only they failed to account for the fact that Hayden WAS a one-in-a-million exemption from the rules that bound them - if not only from the CA but from an ability to shut out the hivemind (though that may have been due to the radio signal being pumped out across the world as well).

Not sure about the "more advanced in a short time" maybe that was a side effect of it... I know the medication was designed to kill Infested individuals, wipe them from existence and have them disappear quietly (go espionage jobs!) but it's been a while since I watch a walkthrough of that game, so maybe I forgot something.