Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Re-Megathread)

Qynchou

Is Dark Sector the same universe as Warframe?

Yes, confirmed by Proto-skins and statements made about the Proto-skins in the wake of their release - as well as evidence found hidden in the Tenno language (i.e. Hayden Tenno's name).

Aye, that's something of the prevailing theory I've heard and agree with as well. We need more examples, though, when can we get an Infested Bastilla or something?

That's my theory exactly: the Infested were being created as they were, the RPC creature, and later other Warframes, because of Hayden Tenno and his legends. Only they failed to account for the fact that Hayden WAS a one-in-a-million exemption from the rules that bound them - if not only from the CA but from an ability to shut out the hivemind (though that may have been due to the radio signal being pumped out across the world as well).

Not sure about the "more advanced in a short time" maybe that was a side effect of it... I know the medication was designed to kill Infested individuals, wipe them from existence and have them disappear quietly (go espionage jobs!) but it's been a while since I watch a walkthrough of that game, so maybe I forgot something.

Maybe the Orokin tried to create warframes before the Zariman but they could not controll them. That would explain the Rhino prime codex and why we the tenno are needed.We are the controlling force like the signal in Dark sector only in smaller scale.

I also would love to see more infested grineer just to have a look if the deterioration is truly the cause of the heavy mutation.

Maybe the Orokin tried to create warframes before the Zariman but they could not controll them. That would explain the Rhino prime codex and why we the tenno are needed.We are the controlling force like the signal in Dark sector only in smaller scale.

I also would love to see more infested grineer just to have a look if the deterioration is truly the cause of the heavy mutation.

This is my thought exactly. I think that our presence may also alter the Warframe's natural abilities somewhat due to our affinity to the Void - making them into something the Sentients truly had no defense again - but that's another matter.

Here's hoping Simaris' quests can provide us with a little insight.

This is my thought exactly. I think that our presence may also alter the Warframe's natural abilities somewhat due to our affinity to the Void - making them into something the Sentients truly had no defense again - but that's another matter.

Yeah lets hope it provides some answers.I really want some lore bits.

Did DE say they're adding more lore? I kinda vaguely remember but any lore even just chroma's codex would make me happy for awhile though if they added a small bite of lore for Hayden I would joyful XD.

Did DE say they're adding more lore? I kinda vaguely remember but any lore even just chroma's codex would make me happy for awhile though if they added a small bite of lore for Hayden I would joyful XD.

If i remember correctly Chroma will be quest related i think and have something to do whith Simaris so im positive that we will get some lore.

Cephalon Simaris, that very first guy on the Sanctuary site, his entire PURPOSE is lore. Each week (or, at least at regular intervals) he gives us a new target enemy to hunt in sort of a more-complicated Codex Scanner fashion, capturing and digitizing various enemy types. If we can manage to reach the quota before time is up, we get a little lore related to that enemy.

I think DE said that even if we don't reach that point in time we would get the lore all the same eventually, but at a later point down the line. So, naturally, I intend to do all in my power to hunt these things as much as I can.

Reading the posts full of theory on Warframe lore are always fascinating to me.

I am still unsure what the Tenno and Warframes are supposed to be.

There are references to the Tenno being the power source, references to the Warframes being suits, hints that we play as a single Tenno who somehow becomes or wears the warframes, lore about warframes that seem personala nd specific..... I don't know what's going on...heh

I will say this-

If the Tenno are physical, humanoid beings and warframes are suits then why would changing a suit change ones sex and proportion to such a degree?

If the Tenno are ethereal, energy based being and warframes are the re-created bodies of long dead warriors then that kind of change makes more sense.  

That WAS Rhino (Prime) in that Codex entry. And we know where Tenno powers come from. It wasn't a frame in Rhino's Codex entry. It was Rhino himself, covered in technocyte. You have to remember that the names for the frames are also used as the names of the Tenno. So, this is Rhino before he is called Rhino. You can't look at the Tenno in terms of their Warframes, as if you are personifying the frames themselves. No, when you talk about "us", you must talk about the Tenno (and, just like the Lotus talks about Mirage the Tenno, we refer to the Tenno by the names of their warframes - one Tenno, one warframe, is how the Orokin intended). The narrator only believed that this creature was one of the infested. He says he had crafted and rejected others like it for that very reason - he was mistaken. Davis, however, knew differently. Davis knew about the Zariman. He suspects that this creature isn't one of the infested but one of the Zariman children. His suspicions are confirmed when the creature stops at the door to the storage room, having some self-recognition of his state and what he's done. The whole point of that is to show what the Orokin (not even sure if the empire is even established at this point in time) were doing to the Zariman children. This is what they were doing. They were infecting the children with Technocyte, most likely to see how it would channel Void energy (since they would've already known how the first version of technocyte is rather energized). This is supported by the old J3 golem saying that the Tenno are the infested's flesh. So what we are looking at in Rhino Prime's codex entry is the prewarframe Tenno and the further revelation (begun in Ember Prime's codex entry) that the Tenno powers do not come from the Warframes, but the Tenno (they are probably imprinted in the Warframes, though). Each codex entry refers to that particular Tenno (and it'd be good if we, like others in lore, view the warframes as the Tenno wearing those warframes - the Tenno wearing Excalibur is Excalibur, the Tenno wearing rhino is rhino, the Tenno wearing mirage is mirage, etc) in some way - Excalibur primes codex entry refers to Excalibur directly, ember prime's codex entry shows what ember (before she's named ember) does to kaleen. Mag Prime's codex features mag as the Tenno who rescues the soldier. Rhino prime's codex entry features rhino. All of this is to say that the Tenno themselves are covered in technocyte, just like Hayden Tenno (and this is probably WHY they are called Tenno - because they are like Hayden Tenno by being infected with Technocyte). The Warframes are crafted around these Tenno, and given the systems and components of the warframes, as well as their being referred to as steel, it's not a certain that the warframes are technocyte, particularly because of the nature of technocyte (it spreads. It isn't just some type of metal - it's a nanotechnological virus). So that's where I'm coming from when I say that the frames aren't technocyte.

All of that was to also say that I dont think chroma's frame is some technocyte thing. It's just his design. Also, as such, I think the fact that we can switch frames that are different genders and that we run out of energy are merely gameplay mechanics that don't match up with lore.

I think the fact that we can switch frames that are different genders and that we run out of energy are merely gameplay mechanics that don't match up with lore.

This is the part I am particularly uncertain about.

DE may yet reveal a lore related explanation that ties that aspect together with the rest.

This is the part I am particularly uncertain about.

DE may yet reveal a lore related explanation that ties that aspect together with the rest.

Doubt it. The Warframes clearly have specific genders and sexes. Mirage is a "she", Limbo is a "he".

I'll review the rest when I have the time to go through the wall of text.

Also, as such, I think the fact that we can switch frames that are different genders and that we run out of energy are merely gameplay mechanics that don't match up with lore.

The ending of Limbo Theorem would disagree.

Ordis:

Well, perhaps when you occupy this frame, you will use more... caution.

Ordis is addressing our character directly there, talking about us being able to occupy (curious wording there, but basically WEAR) the Limbo Warframe. Steve was asked if this was breaking the Fourth Wall, said they didn't like to do that. It can be healthily determined that this IS what he meant; we CAN switch between frames.

For Limbo and Mirage being named Limbo and Mirage? I differ to one of my earliest theories:

I've had it in my head for a while that whatever naming system the Tenno use (if any) falls along similar as The Lotus - potentially excluding The (though I liked to apply it for my own personal reasons). So, rather than Thomman Zaruk, or any other "normal" future-sounding name, you have names that are lifted from other nouns and attributed to the Tenno.

And it just now the idea struck me that, maybe, the names of those helmets we have - Quantum, Essence, Vanguard - maybe those are names attributed to those helmets based on the names of the first or greatest Tenno to wear their designs? Sort of how we name inventions or scientific finds out of people who had a great deal to do with said whatever.

This'll, most likely, NEVER show up in game - and if anything what DE chooses to do with the Tenno names will probably contradict this. But, for the time, I find it an interesting thought to consider.

AMENDMENT: Yeah, I know that the names are taken from real-world mythology and language and ect., and that's probably all there is to it - a reference, nothing more. I'm just considering what I think to be an interesting in-game explanation and possibility.

tldr: the Tenno names come from codenames attributed to them, some based on their frames. Mirage and Limbo were called Mirage and Limbo because they were the first to be given that model of Warframe; same for all others. Harlequin, Aristeas, Pendragon and all the others were other Tenno to use the same model, but attributed a different style of helmet for some reason (probably linkable to the removed Arcane system). They did great deeds, and thus that model of helmet became linked with their name, named after them.

There could have been many other Tenno with many other names wearing those same frames and helmets, but it's the name of the Tenno that determines the helmet's title, not the other way around (Warframes being the one exception to this for the given reasons).

Tenno may be able to switch frames, but like the players that play the game I suspect they come across a favorite frame for some reason. Maybe it was the first they had, maybe it was one they gained a fondness for later, but in the case of Limbo and Mirage their favored frames are clear: the first frame they had, the frame they were Codenamed after.
Edited by Morec0

The Warframes clearly have specific genders and sexes. Mirage is a "she", Limbo is a "he".

Right. And that explains that their origins are of a single person but it does not necessarily mean that is their current state.

It's possible that how things started is not how things remain to this day. By now we could be playing copies, mass produced recreations of ancient warriors.

If the current Rhino we play is a single and specific person then whenever there is more than one rhino in a group it breaks lore.

If the current Rhino we play is a one of many recreations of a specific person then whenever there is more than one rhino in a group it fits within the lore.

Maybe Tenno can somehow....take over the bodies of ancient tenno..or some such.

Oh that reminds me. Once Steve was taking about the focus system and he said that it;s a way to customize your Tenno. That up to now everything we have been customizing is the Warframe. That indicates some sort of difference, a distinction between the two things.

Guys the page is updated and after seeing the next panel we either getting a new enemy or Chroma really can change his look.

Aye, looks like the tail'll be a frame-specific syandana.

I'm glad, I've been hoping we'd get more of those.