Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Re-Megathread)

Qynchou

The Cetus was a type of dragon associated with the ocean. A sea serpent, yes, but a sea serpent was just a type of dragon for the Greeks.

(cant help but giggle at how many folks will like the post above mine despite its inaccurate information)

A sea serpent was not a type of dragon to the Greeks. The modern world has simply blurred too many terms together.

This becomes particularly obvious when you follow the original terms back to the source of the myths.

HINT: the word Cetos/Ketos actually means large fish. Greeks had a couple words for dragon and it was never used in Ketos/Cetos description by the greeks.  

Though I cannot be certain how aware the artists at DE are of the distinction.

And where do you think Chromatic got it's name from? Hrmm?

From the word Chroma, obviously. But the thing in question here is where did DE get the inspiration to name their frame.

If they got it from D&D, then that is something so removed from the direct Greek influence that it has it's own specific visual style and dragonic mythology. 

Maybe, maybe not, but people were SO sure that it was Endrian's concept in the days leading up to it (I myself one of them and DREADING it) that I think it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Because, I don't make this claim under "oh! people wanted a European-style Dragon Frame" but "people wanted what a player had created" and what the player had created was a European-style dragon frame. Anything else wouldn't have been it, and people would have been &!$$ed regardless..

Some people had those expectations. Some people had other expectations. And as always, expecting one thing doesn't inherently make getting something else bad. Sometimes folks are pleasantly surprised. 

Speaking for myself for a minute..I didn't have any expectation that it would be Endrians concept. Actually I figured it would not be because if it was going to be they would have talked more about it being "a fan concept come to life" the way they did with the fan concept weapons and skins. I was expecting something else....and something with a unique spin on it.

That is what we got. But of course...sometimes the unique works for me, sometimes it doesn't. 

Edited by Ronyn

The Cetus was a type of dragon associated with the ocean. A sea serpent, yes, but a sea serpent was just a type of dragon for the Greeks.

And where do you think Chromatic got it's name from? Hrmm?

Maybe, maybe not, but people were SO sure that it was Endrian's concept in the days leading up to it (I myself one of them and DREADING it) that I think it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Because, I don't make this claim under "oh! people wanted a European-style Dragon Frame" but "people wanted what a player had created" and what the player had created was a European-style dragon frame. Anything else wouldn't have been it, and people would have been &!$$ed regardless..

And I wouldn't have complained at all, but I think we've got enough beefy guys for the time. And, while that might be true, I don't particularly care for the look. Rhino just looks incredibly boring to me.

EDIT: Though, I have to say, Chroma's pretty bulky looking.

With all the folds I would think corpulent would have been a better word. But I digress.

I think the early frames all look similar. They all have that smooth, synthetic look.

I think the newer frames are just too busy looking.

So gonna switch the subject a bit(if you would like to join me guys). What are you guys going to do tomorrow considering everything goes on track for U16? Are you going to straight out purchase Chroma, Do the mission involving Chroma and wait for him to finish, are you gonna rush his parts once you do the mission, or are you gonna flat out ignore his existence and imagine he never happened?

I got myself some quick plat a few moments ago so i'm gonna do the quest, but rush the frame and get some neat cosmetics for fun. :D

And I wouldn't have complained at all, but I think we've got enough beefy guys for the time. And, while that might be true, I don't particularly care for the look. Rhino just looks incredibly boring to me.

We have 1 beefy frame 2 fat ones and 8 skinny ones. If anything we need more beefy frame. This isn't a problem with Chroma though as he is fat and ugly. Whale Frame confirmed

http://www.theoi.com/image/P28.1Ketos.jpg

So gonna switch the subject a bit(if you would like to join me guys). What are you guys going to do tomorrow considering everything goes on track for U16? Are you going to straight out purchase Chroma, Do the mission involving Chroma and wait for him to finish, are you gonna rush his parts once you do the mission, or are you gonna flat out ignore his existence and imagine he never happened?

I got myself some quick plat a few moments ago so i'm gonna do the quest, but rush the frame and get some neat cosmetics for fun. :D

Do the quest, don't rush the parts, hope to god I like his playstyle, make him an obnoxious and unignorable color scheme and hang out in populated relays regardless.

laugh.

I'm going to buy him outright cause I have spent sooo much time playing other frames I just need a new one to play.

I'm hoping that between an alt helmet, a color scheme and some armor pieces I can make him loo a way I like.

So I have a question about Chroma, will the console users be getting Chroma at the same time as the PC, or will we have to wait for update 16? I remember that Limbo and Mesa launched about the same time across all platforms, or at least I think I do, and I hope it's the same with Chroma, I love dragons.

Consoles will not be getting U16, which had Chroma at the same time as PC at the earliest it will probably be a month for consoles.

Limbo (U15) and Mesa (U15.5) came to PC first then got ported to consoles, they weren't released at the same time.

Edited by NovusNova

i've stated before that i will buy him day one (most likely with an alt helm) and roll around the star chart like: 

1318369988001.jpg