Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Re-Megathread)

Qynchou

Dhraks/kubrows are DE's own mutated twist on things and at no point where they said to be themed after some well known fantasy creature.  Since they did not give us a fantasy creature to compare it to there is no confusion.

Had they called them "cerberus" some would point out that their noses don't fit the Cerberus myth. 

De said we would get pets, they gave us pets. We got what we were told we were getting. That is the difference.

Had Chroma just been released without DE saying "You are getting a Dragon themed frame with powers based on the Chromantic Dragon from D&D" no one would have expected dragonlike features. It would simply have been a new frame that folks either liked or disliked.

If people aren't supposed to expect the common traits of a thing, don't use that things name as a theme.

But everyone thinks of them as attack dogs anyway.

Dhraks/kubrows are DE's own mutated twist on things and at no point where they said to be themed after some well known fantasy creature.  Since they did not give us a fantasy creature to compare it to there is no confusion.

Had they called them "cerberus" some would point out that their noses don't fit the Cerberus myth. 

De said we would get pets, they gave us pets. We got what we were told we were getting. That is the difference.

Had Chroma just been released without DE saying "You are getting a Dragon themed frame with powers based on the Chromantic Dragon from D&D" no one would have expected dragonlike features. It would simply have been a new frame that folks either liked or disliked.

If people aren't supposed to expect the theme of something don't use the name of it as a theme.

Agreed. If he wasn't hyped as a Dragon frame I would still think he was the ugliest thing in warframe, but I wouldn't really care about him.

Everyone keeps bringing up how AWKWARD and silent it was.  Well, I was there, and it was quiet, but i didn't think it was awkward at all.  The vibe of the room did not seem overly negative, it was just a small clip to go off of, just like the volt prime clip.  The larger responses happened after the larger, longer reveal videos.

I think people are reading too much into it and interpreting it as they want to interpret it.

Hmm so it was quiet then. I don't see that as good but at least it's confirmed.

To be honest there isn't much to read into or interpret. If you have something people were looking forward to and then it's shown but there isn't even any clapping or shouts, well, that can't have really been the response that was being expected. There was a large amount of hype built around the frame. Once it was finally seen after all the hoo-hah - and we did get a good look regardless of how short the clip was - you would expect some cheering. Instead it was quiet and that felt awkward from where I was sitting. It seems other viewers felt it was awkward as well.

Edited by Naith

Can we all stop arguing over something that is essentially the dress debate?!
Some people see one thing, others see other things, can we not get over that fact?
Some people are disappointed by Chroma's design, others are partial to the concept, others are fond of his look!
Personally, I like how he looks, does that make me wrong? No! To the people who are complaining, he's going to get an alternate helmet that might suit your fancy! To the people who like his design, there's no point in fighting, trying to make other people like him. He might not look like our idea of a dragon, and that's okay! We're fighting over something that we haven't even seen yet. Why isn't this thread full of conversations based on what his abilities could possibly be, or how he's supposed to be somewhat supportive in nature?! 

Okay... Anyway, we all need to take a step back and just accept that some people don't like how he looks, and to them I say he'll get an alt helm, or just don't get him. To the others I say appreciate how he looks, but don't go around telling people to like what you want them to! He'll get here when he gets here, and until then lets all just have a calm discussion that's NOT ABOUT HOW HE LOOKS FOR ONCE.

Edited by CleverNinja

CAN WE ALL STOP ARGUING OVER SOMETHING THAT IS ESSENTIALLY THE DRESS DEBATE?!

SOME PEOPLE SEE ONE THING, OTHERS SEE OTHER THINGS, CAN WE NOT GET OVER THAT FACT?

SOME PEOPLE ARE DISAPPOINTED BY CHROMA'S DESIGN, OTHERS ARE PARTIAL TO THE CONCEPT, OTHERS ARE FOND OF HIS LOOK!

PERSONALLY, I LIKE HOW HE LOOKS, DOES THAT MAKE ME WRONG? NO! TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE COMPLAINING, HE'S GOING TO GET AN ALTERNATE HELMET THAT MIGHT SUIT YOUR FANCY! TO THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE HIS DESIGN, THERE'S NO POINT IN FIGHTING, TRYING TO MAKE OTHER PEOPLE LIKE HIM. HE MIGHT NOT LOOK LIKE OUR IDEA OF A DRAGON, AND THAT'S OKAY! WE'RE FIGHTING OVER SOMETHING THAT WE HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN YET. WHY ISN'T THIS THREAD FULL OF CONVERSATIONS BASED ON WHAT HIS ABILITIES COULD POSSIBLY BE, OR HOW HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE SOMEWHAT SUPPORTIVE IN NATURE?! 

Okay... Anyway, we all need to take a step back and just accept that some people don't like how he looks, and to them I say he'll get an alt helm, or just don't get him. To the others I say appreciate how he looks, but don't go around telling people to like what you want them to! He'll get here when we get here, and until then lets all just have a calm discussion that's NOT ABOUT HOW HE LOOKS FOR ONCE.

Probably because we supposedly don't have much to go by when it comes to his abilities. Aside from that, I think his abilities have already been discussed in-depth on other threads. His image is what we currently have to go by and what is solid. I think it also suggests that a reasonable portion of the community are slightly tired of the (possibly) disappointing designs that have come out, primarily for males where they've frequently been thick/fat/odd/plastic-looking whilst female frames have been slim/slender and reasonably stylish. Female-wise Zephyr was slightly disappointing from a certain perspective but I do still like her considerably.

But, no, people need to continue to speak about his image.

I'm in the middle for Chroma at the moment. At first I was not impressed but he's grown on me so I'm actually looking forward to what he brings to the game. However, that doesn't change the fact that I'm personally tired of the lack of stylish (my opinion) male frames and that these odd and thick-plastic looking textures/models need to be put away for a while.

Edited by Naith

ah there it is. I was waiting for someone to make the dress debate comparison.....

They're pretty similar, the fact that people are legitimately fighting over something that they haven't seen firsthand where they see two different things from one image.

They're pretty similar, the fact that people are legitimately fighting over something that they haven't seen firsthand where they see two different things from one image.

This issue is quite a bit more complex than the dress thing. 

But I do get what you mean.

PrimeTime seems to give me the impression his image changes somehow. Maybe he'll burn off the 'flesh' or something with a power or have a fancy ethereal image of some sort over his body.

Edited by Naith

PrimeTime seems to give me the impression his image changes somehow. Maybe he'll burn off the 'flesh' or something with a power or have a fancy ethereal image of some sort over his body.

I'm thinking that (from what I've gathered from the Chroma/Abilities page on the wiki) he's going to have an ability that's going to cling to his body somehow, like energy scales.

Primetime is giving info? Had to watch a show so I missed half of Prime Time already. :P

I'm thinking that (from what I've gathered from the Chroma/Abilities page on the wiki) he's going to have an ability that's going to cling to his body somehow, like energy scales.

Yeah guys. some sort of aesthetic surprises will be happening...

I'd recommend everyone concerned about Chroma watch the early part of primetime.

Don't even have to wait long. Chroma is talked about between the 4 and 6 minute mark.

Primetime is giving info? Had to watch a show so I missed half of Prime Time already. :P

call up the replay on twitch.

Edited by Ronyn

Hinted at yeah and we got a look/reminder at what sort of plans are in the works. Go to about the middle of the video we currently have where there's a white table of sorts at the top of the screen. Watch from there to hear them discuss Chroma's design etc.

Hinted at yeah and we got a look/reminder at what sort of plans are in the works. Go to about the middle of the video we currently have where there's a white table of sorts at the top of the screen. Watch from there to hear them discuss Chroma's design etc.

Oh they bring Chroma back up later on eh? I only caught the beginning...

looks like I'll have to watch the whole stream.

Oh they bring Chroma back up later on eh? I only caught the beginning...

looks like I'll have to watch the whole stream.

Na, it's within the confines of the 13:51 youtube video we currently have, which is what you're already referring to. For some reason we've only got around half or a quarter of PrimeTime on YT.

Anyone else feel like DE looked totally clueless when addressing Chroma?

We tell them Chroma is ugly as sin.

They tell us to try him in game before making judgments.

I'm sorry, but unless one of his powers swaps his fugly character model for a better one, I don't see what trying him is going to accomplish. If the artwork is ugly, the model can only be uglier.

I'm sorry, but unless one of his powers swaps his fugly character model for a better one, I don't see what trying him is going to accomplish. If the artwork is ugly, the model can only be uglier.

It's liekly one of his power will change his appearance, which is why they said you should try him before you making a full judgement.

If he's suddenly going to sprout wings and an ethereal dragon cloak i think that is worth atleast seeing how his form changes when you play him

My honest, productive critique.

1. The design is not clear. This is only reinforced by those defending having to post additional pictures of something else. Chroma's textures are a sinewy river of red and silver. Terms like "twizzlers, bacon, meatslab, Spaghetti...etc." all apply.

The head IS the silhouette of a longnosed animal like an anteater or seahorse. The eyes and brain gravitate to the outline because, again, the face is a sinewy river of ambiguity. Is it a long face? A snout? A forehead cannon?

2. It is not readily identifiable as a warframe. Take away the Redeemer and the "Chroma" sig and it most resembles some type of Infested boss with Ancient/Lephantis features.

3. With past frames that push the boundaries of design, a clear archetype, whether mythical/ancient or modern, was clearly identifiable. Mesa is a clear example of a "Warframe as Gunslinger". Interestingly, she comes across as a Warframe with Infested features. Chroma, to me, has the attitude of a Tongan Warrior...a strong base with fire dancer elements...but that does not strike me straight away as an archetype like a dragon.

DE has every right to expand the brand, but they need to stay loyal to what made fans love Warframe. It's a balancing act, and while creative license allows DE to create as they please, loyal fans have a right to voice their opinions so long as they are respectful.

-One Tenno's artistic critique.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

My honest, productive critique.

1. The design is not clear. This is only reinforced by those defending having to post additional pictures of something else. Chroma's textures are a sinewy river of red and silver. Terms like "twizzlers, bacon, meatslab, Spaghetti...etc." all apply.

The head IS the silhouette of a longnosed animal like an anteater or seahorse. The eyes and brain gravitate to the outline because, again, the face is a sinewy river of ambiguity. Is it a long face? A snout? A forehead cannon?

2. It is not readily identifiable as a warframe. Take away the Redeemer and the "Chroma" sig and it most resembles some type of Infested boss with Ancient/Lephantis features.

3. With past frames that push the boundaries of design, a clear archetype, whether mythical/ancient or modern, was clearly identifiable. Mesa is a clear example of a "Warframe as Gunslinger". Interestingly, she comes across as a Warframe with Infested features.

DE has every right to expand the brand, but they need to stay loyal to what made fans love Warframe. It's a balancing act, and while creative license allows DE to create as they please, loyal fans have a right to voice their opinions so long as they are respectful.

-One Tenno's artistic critique.

QFT

I think they know what they're doing.

I can feel Chroma having 4 different abilities per a different energy color.