Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] Warframe On Linux With Wine

HACKhalo2

Question

Alright, so after much acclaim from the Subreddit, I decided to post my walkthrough on how to get this game running somewhat decently under the newest Wine (Development 1.5.29). The direct link to it is http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/1dnnoj/warframe_on_linux/.

Alright, so first thing. I did this in Arch Linux, so your mileage will very depending on what distro you use. I've read good reports for Ubuntu working pretty easily, and other distros not so much. I would like feedback on what extra steps you would have to do to get it to work if mine didn't work for you.

Step one, Install Wine (I recommend Dev, but Stable may work) and, if your Package Manager doesn't package it together, winetricks. http://www.winehq.org/ for wine, and https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/ for winetricks. Optionally, create a prefix for Warframe so you don't clutter up the default one.

Step two, run winetricks d3dx9 xact (or /path/to/winetricks.sh d3dx9 xact if the package manager didn't install it). This will install the bare minimum DirectX9 and XAudio2 DLL's needed by most games. (You can omit d3dx9 for directx9, but that's usually overkill)

Step three, Download the Warframe.msi and put it somewhere you'll remember. I have mine on my Desktop.

Step four, open a terminal where the Warframe.msi file is at and run wine msiexec /i Warframe.msi. This will start the launcher. (You can optionally run wine msiexec /i /path/to/Warframe.msi)

After this step, the Launcher Window should open up. If it doesn't, try installing 'lib32-openal', 'lib32-libxml2', 'lib32-mpg123', 'lib32-giflib', 'lib32-libpng', and 'lib32-gnutls'. These are common compatibility libs most Wine programs need, so it wouldn't be to awful to install them all. These are also the names Arch Linux gives these packages, so you may need to Google around for the correct names for your Distro.

This is a (incomplete) list of Package names per DIstro. (Thanks Morcant!)

Arch             Ubuntulib32-openal     libopenal1lib32-libxml2    libxml2lib32-mpg123     libmpg123lib32-giflib     libgif4lib32-libpng     libpng12-0lib32-gnutls     libgnutls26

On a 64-bit system with multiarch, it may be necessary to use e.g. 'sudo apt-get install libgnutls26:i386' to install the 32-bit packages.

Step five, after the launcher opens up, DISABLE 64BIT IN THE LAUNCHER SETTINGS. It currently does NOT work right, and you're going to have a bad time.

Step six, Hopefully the launcher will be complaining about not being able to find Launcher.exe in your AppData path ($WINE_PREFIX/drive_c/users/<your username>/Local Settings/Application Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Tools/Launcher.exe). It is there, but you need to move it over manually. CD into the directory and run mv Launcher.exe.tmp Launcher.exe. Click Retry on the launcher, and it should greet you with the login prompt. Enter your login information, and hopefully you will see the Licensing conditions. If so, congrats! Enjoy playing Warframe on a non-Microsoft system!

There is a chance that you will get the error that dreaded me for almost two weeks, the Could not log in: Could not find Server error. I have no clue why this error is there, but it fixed itself by compiling and installing https://github.com/madewokherd/wine-mono (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-mono/ for you Arch Linux users). It takes quite a bit of time to compile (I have an A10-5800K, and it took around 30 minutes to compile and install). MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LOT OF SPACE IN /tmp, IT WILL TAKE A LOT JUST TO COMPILE IT!

If that doesn't fix it, Try compiling Wine from source. it's a long shot, but it may work (and it has worked for some people).

TIPS AND TRICKS

If your sound doesn't work (and it doesn't complain about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), try modprobing snd_seq. It may not of been loaded.

If your sound doesn't work (and it's complaining about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), run winetricks --force xact_jun2010. It may of not installed correctly the first time.

If the preprocess crashes when first starting the Launcher, run the launcher (or Warframe.msi) in the terminal. It fixes this error for me.

TURN OFF ALL THE FANCY STUFF AND HAVE THE GAME IN FULL SCREEN MODE. It raised my FPS from 10 to 60+.

Hopefully this guide helps you!

Edited by HACKhalo2
  • Like 2

Just wait a bit - it takes a while to download the content. As long as there aren't any fatal errors in the terminal window you should be OK. The bar should be progressing.

edit: HACKhalo2 is a gorram ninja! :)

edit2: HACKhalo2, I just edited your title to add "with Wine". Wine keyword to allow easy search of the forums.

Just wait a bit - it takes a while to download the content. As long as there aren't any fatal errors in the terminal window you should be OK. The bar should be progressing.

edit: HACKhalo2 is a gorram ninja! :)

Hahaha, I was watching this thread waiting to see if KiritoAsuna got it working before getting into game.

Yes i've disabled it :) I hope it will work thanks alot i got really excited about this game after seeing some gameplay vids.

Do let us know how it goes. If you do get it to work, could you list your distro and wine version? I'm using Arch like HACKhalo2.

It keeps giving that message in the terminal D:

it also gave me this error:

ixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 0x36314644 (as fourcc: DF16) WINED3DFORMAT!
fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format unrecognized (0x36314644) in the format lookup table
fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 0x34324644 (as fourcc: DF24) WINED3DFORMAT!
fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format unrecognized (0x34324644) in the format lookup table

Edited by KiritoAsuna

Is it possible that the launcher is stuck because of: ´´fixme:file:FindFirstFileExW options not implemented 0x00000000 0x00000002´´??

I don't think so. A lot of applications have something similar when run in wine. Is the progress bar not moving at all? It should be moving even a little bit, depending on how loaded the server is and your internet connection.

That's not a showstopper error in most cases. How long has it been stuck at precisely the same spot? If it's been like that for more than 15 minutes, it's likely the download has failed somehow. It happens, even on windows. If that's the case, kill it and try again.

Dual boot with Windows. You Linux purists are so cute.

/thread

Bah! A linux purist would not deign to use wine at all. Native linux apps only!

@KiritoAsuna: Wait, we need to backtrack a bit.

1. Are you using wine 1.5.30? (recently updated)

2. Create a new wineprefix and use that - else, if you don't have any other windows apps on wine, you can delete your ".wine" directory. Wine will recreate it next time it is run. Do this only if you don't have other windows apps installed - otherwise you'll need to reinstall them.

3. Have you followed HACKhalo2's steps? (install winetricks and all the 'tricks' he listed? "winetricks d3dx9 xact")

4. install 'lib32-openal', 'lib32-libxml2', 'lib32-mpg123', 'lib32-giflib', 'lib32-libpng', and 'lib32-gnutls' using your package manager.

What is your package manager, btw? yum? apt-get? pacman? (gasp!) portage?

5. follow HACKhalo2's steps 4 onwards.

Also, what is the output when you run "uname -a"?

Great thread. I use Crunchbang Linux (derivative of Debian Wheezy), which unfortunately only provides a very old Wine version (1.4.x) in the repos. One of these days I'll stop being lazy and learn how to compile 1.5.29 from source, and give Warframe another shot. I know it's possible, it just seems like mostly Arch users who've gotten it to work reasonably well, and I'm not quite willing to make that switch just yet.

Thanks for taking the time to write up this guide, though. Very handy reference.

Bah! A linux purist would not deign to use wine at all. Native linux apps only!

@KiritoAsuna: Wait, we need to backtrack a bit.

1. Are you using wine 1.5.30? (recently updated)

2. Create a new wineprefix and use that - else, if you don't have any other windows apps on wine, you can delete your ".wine" directory. Wine will recreate it next time it is run. Do this only if you don't have other windows apps installed - otherwise you'll need to reinstall them.

3. Have you followed HACKhalo2's steps? (install winetricks and all the 'tricks' he listed? "winetricks d3dx9 xact")

4. install 'lib32-openal', 'lib32-libxml2', 'lib32-mpg123', 'lib32-giflib', 'lib32-libpng', and 'lib32-gnutls' using your package manager.

What is your package manager, btw? yum? apt-get? pacman? (gasp!) portage?

5. follow HACKhalo2's steps 4 onwards.

Also, what is the output when you run "uname -a"?

I got apt get and i tried to install the libs but they say the following: jamie@jamie-VC873AA-ABH-p6130nl:~$ sudo apt-get install lib32-gnutls

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree       

Reading state information... Done

E: Unable to locate package lib32-gnutls

and im not quite sure how to make a prefix i googled it but not one explanation is understandable..

i do got d3dx9 xact

and uname says;

Linux jamie-VC873AA-ABH-p6130nl 3.2.0-40-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 25 21:22:10 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I got apt get and i tried to install the libs but they say the following: jamie@jamie-VC873AA-ABH-p6130nl:~$ sudo apt-get install lib32-gnutls

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree       

Reading state information... Done

E: Unable to locate package lib32-gnutls

and uname says;

Linux jamie-VC873AA-ABH-p6130nl 3.2.0-40-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 25 21:22:10 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Try 'sudo apt-get install libgnutls26'. You may have to search for appropriate package names for your distro; Ubuntu in particular seems to have a lot of package names specific to it. Are you using the latest Wine 1.5? From what I can tell, 1.5.29 is what's in the Ubuntu PPA. (Instructions for adding the WineHQ PPA Repository here, if you need them.)

Thank you sir. I also use arch from time to time when i want to escape Win7. This should be pinned.

It's my fav linux distro out of all i've tried, it'd be cool if i could handle the awesomeness of gentoo tho. But not yet.

Edited by rabcor

Try 'sudo apt-get install libgnutls26'. You may have to search for appropriate package names for your distro; Ubuntu in particular seems to have a lot of package names specific to it. Are you using the latest Wine 1.5? From what I can tell, 1.5.29 is what's in the Ubuntu PPA. (Instructions for adding the WineHQ PPA Repository here, if you need them.)

I believe i have wine 1.5.30

Well, for reference, from uname, it looks like you're running:

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) on x86_64 SMP.

OK, the libgnutls26 Morcant mentioned is needed for your situation. You should also have gnutls-bin if you don't already.

You'll need this package to play, I think, as Warframe communicates some stuff to/fro servers through tls) and Ubuntu does not use openssl for some reason.

From your screenshot, it looks like the download already works. You just need to leave it. Sometimes the server for update download sputters a bit. Good luck!

edit: corrections

Well, for reference, from uname, it looks like you're running:

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) on x86_64 SMP.

OK, the libgnutls26 Morcant mentioned is needed for your situation. You should also have gnutls-bin if you don't already.

You'll need this package to play, I think, as Warframe communicates some stuff to/fro servers through tls) and Ubuntu does not use openssl for some reason.

From your screenshot, it looks like the download already works. You just need to leave it. Sometimes the server for update download sputters a bit. Good luck!

edit: corrections

For some reason when i start the download now i dont even get past half of that what i had in the screenshot : /