Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] Warframe On Linux With Wine

HACKhalo2

Question

Alright, so after much acclaim from the Subreddit, I decided to post my walkthrough on how to get this game running somewhat decently under the newest Wine (Development 1.5.29). The direct link to it is http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/1dnnoj/warframe_on_linux/.

Alright, so first thing. I did this in Arch Linux, so your mileage will very depending on what distro you use. I've read good reports for Ubuntu working pretty easily, and other distros not so much. I would like feedback on what extra steps you would have to do to get it to work if mine didn't work for you.

Step one, Install Wine (I recommend Dev, but Stable may work) and, if your Package Manager doesn't package it together, winetricks. http://www.winehq.org/ for wine, and https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/ for winetricks. Optionally, create a prefix for Warframe so you don't clutter up the default one.

Step two, run winetricks d3dx9 xact (or /path/to/winetricks.sh d3dx9 xact if the package manager didn't install it). This will install the bare minimum DirectX9 and XAudio2 DLL's needed by most games. (You can omit d3dx9 for directx9, but that's usually overkill)

Step three, Download the Warframe.msi and put it somewhere you'll remember. I have mine on my Desktop.

Step four, open a terminal where the Warframe.msi file is at and run wine msiexec /i Warframe.msi. This will start the launcher. (You can optionally run wine msiexec /i /path/to/Warframe.msi)

After this step, the Launcher Window should open up. If it doesn't, try installing 'lib32-openal', 'lib32-libxml2', 'lib32-mpg123', 'lib32-giflib', 'lib32-libpng', and 'lib32-gnutls'. These are common compatibility libs most Wine programs need, so it wouldn't be to awful to install them all. These are also the names Arch Linux gives these packages, so you may need to Google around for the correct names for your Distro.

This is a (incomplete) list of Package names per DIstro. (Thanks Morcant!)

Arch             Ubuntulib32-openal     libopenal1lib32-libxml2    libxml2lib32-mpg123     libmpg123lib32-giflib     libgif4lib32-libpng     libpng12-0lib32-gnutls     libgnutls26

On a 64-bit system with multiarch, it may be necessary to use e.g. 'sudo apt-get install libgnutls26:i386' to install the 32-bit packages.

Step five, after the launcher opens up, DISABLE 64BIT IN THE LAUNCHER SETTINGS. It currently does NOT work right, and you're going to have a bad time.

Step six, Hopefully the launcher will be complaining about not being able to find Launcher.exe in your AppData path ($WINE_PREFIX/drive_c/users/<your username>/Local Settings/Application Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Tools/Launcher.exe). It is there, but you need to move it over manually. CD into the directory and run mv Launcher.exe.tmp Launcher.exe. Click Retry on the launcher, and it should greet you with the login prompt. Enter your login information, and hopefully you will see the Licensing conditions. If so, congrats! Enjoy playing Warframe on a non-Microsoft system!

There is a chance that you will get the error that dreaded me for almost two weeks, the Could not log in: Could not find Server error. I have no clue why this error is there, but it fixed itself by compiling and installing https://github.com/madewokherd/wine-mono (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-mono/ for you Arch Linux users). It takes quite a bit of time to compile (I have an A10-5800K, and it took around 30 minutes to compile and install). MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LOT OF SPACE IN /tmp, IT WILL TAKE A LOT JUST TO COMPILE IT!

If that doesn't fix it, Try compiling Wine from source. it's a long shot, but it may work (and it has worked for some people).

TIPS AND TRICKS

If your sound doesn't work (and it doesn't complain about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), try modprobing snd_seq. It may not of been loaded.

If your sound doesn't work (and it's complaining about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), run winetricks --force xact_jun2010. It may of not installed correctly the first time.

If the preprocess crashes when first starting the Launcher, run the launcher (or Warframe.msi) in the terminal. It fixes this error for me.

TURN OFF ALL THE FANCY STUFF AND HAVE THE GAME IN FULL SCREEN MODE. It raised my FPS from 10 to 60+.

Hopefully this guide helps you!

Edited by HACKhalo2
  • Like 2

Yes, please check if you've installed either Catalyst (for AMD Radeon cards) or nvidia (for well, nvidia cards) as triceration said. I don't think the open source drivers can handle most new games yet.

Open a terminal and enter glxinfo. A whole bunch of stuff should be output but you'll want to scroll to the beginning to see if Direct Rendering is "Yes"

$ glxinfoname of display: :0.0display: :0  screen: 0direct rendering: Yes    <----- this one!server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporationserver glx version string: 1.4server glx extensions:    GLX_ARB_create_context, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile,     GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float,     GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_buffer_age,     GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile,     GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_EXT_swap_control, GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear,     GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,     GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_NV_multisample_coverage, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,     GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync

@triceration

Thanks didnt know the path of the installed file but using that path you pasted i was able to launch the launcher again. 

@Windbow
I updated / changed drivers and am now having a big problem, :/

As I said before when I launched warframe with triceration's path and clicked play it would launch but never actually show up, I could hear the opening music but all I could see was my desktop with terminal. After a few minutes it would crash so this lead me to change my nvidia driver to the 'recommended one' on the driver list (I think it was 309.01) It wanted me to restart and when I did restart ubuntu no longer loads I just get stuck at a black screen with a flash cursor but it doesn't allow me to type. I tried pressing random buttons nothing seems to load at this screen, I heard I can remove the driver with "sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia" but I cant get to the desktop to open terminal or anything so not sure how I am supposed to fix this.

EDIT: Ok booted Grub with shift and then tried a different kernel and i was able to boot in fully... now lets see if I can get the rest going with a proper graphics driver ><

Edited by Causatum

Im new to linux and more importantly wine. I followed the steps and everything was going good it updated and then when it was finished It started to launch but did not fully launch (i didnt see a picture) and then crashed / closed. When i went to reload it i typed wine Warframe.exe in terminal and i get this wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\Warframe.exe"

if i click on the warframe icon with the wine glass, warframe loads up and then shortly after a window pops up and says it crashed and if i hit next it just loops. 

Any help would be appreciated

You probably have a lot of reading ahead of you getting to grips with installing the proprietary drivers, using wine, winetricks, wineprefixes, and general debugging when something doesn't work. I'll try to give you a quick list of things you need to know/do.

• As mentioned already, make sure you're using proprietary drivers. Don't just grab them from the repos, though, as those are often out of date. Go to the website and download the Linux driver from either Nvidia or AMD. As a point of personal experience, if you're using a modern AMD card on Linux kernel 3.10+, use Catalyst 13.8 beta 2 rather than 13.6. You'll have a migraine by the time you untangle the issues with Catalyst 13.6 and kernel 3.10+. (To find your kernel version, type 'uname -r' into a terminal.) I haven't tested Catalyst 13.10 yet. Make sure to read the appropriate wiki for instructions on proper installation.

• If you're trying to run different Windows games in addition to Warframe, look into setting up different wineprefixes for them. Makes it easier to maintain, wipe clean, use different winetricks packages, etc. There are several good tutorials linked from a simple Google search.

• For Warframe (actually, for most Windows games), you need to install winetricks, which is a simple utility used to install specific Windows components. This is usually provided in your Linux distro's repositories, otherwise follow the instructions here. Once winetricks is installed, you'll want to use it to install d3dx9 and xact, by typing 'winetricks d3dx9 xact' in a terminal.

• You need to navigate to (or specify) the path to the Warframe launcher each time you run it. This is made much easier by creating a small script, which is basically a collection of terminal commands that you enter to run Warframe. You'll want to read up on scripting as well, it makes many things a lot easier in Linux. My script to launch Warframe looks like this --
    #!/bin/bashcd /home/USERNAME/wineprefixes/warframe/drive_c/users/USERNAME/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/ToolsWINEDEBUG=fixme-all,+fps WINEPREFIX=/home/USERNAME/wineprefixes/warframe wine Launcher.exe

-- where USERNAME is obviously your Linux user name. The WINEDEBUG options remove the excessive fixme errors from functions not implemented in wine, and add a fps counter to the terminal output as the game is running; just my own personal preference, you can leave it out. WINEPREFIX specifies what directory is the root folder for running this instance of wine.

• It may be necessary during Warframe updates to manually replace the Launcher.exe file. I wrote a simple script for this, too --
    #!/bin/bashcd /home/USERNAME/wineprefixes/warframe/drive_c/users/USERNAME/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Toolsif [ -e "Launcher.exe.tmp" ] then  rm Launcher.exe.old  mv Launcher.exe Launcher.exe.old  mv Launcher.exe.tmp Launcher.exe  echo "Launcher.exe replaced." else  echo "Launcher.exe.tmp does not exist."fiexit

-- This checks that the .tmp file which needs to be copied exists, deletes the old backup copy of Launcher.exe, renames the more recent version to .old, then renames the .tmp file to Launcher.exe. If it doesn't exist, it simply tells you so and exits. This process is only necessary when an update fails immediately after downloading, giving you a "Retry" button, but it saves a lot of typing when the game launcher gets updated.

Hopefully in conjunction with the guide in the first post of this thread, this info will help you get started. I know it's a bear to get setup at the start, but it's pretty smooth sailing once you get it running.

As I said before when I launched warframe with triceration's path and clicked play it would launch but never actually show up, I could hear the opening music but all I could see was my desktop with terminal. After a few minutes it would crash so this lead me to change my nvidia driver to the 'recommended one' on the driver list (I think it was 309.01) It wanted me to restart and when I did restart ubuntu no longer loads I just get stuck at a black screen with a flash cursor but it doesn't allow me to type. I tried pressing random buttons nothing seems to load at this screen, I heard I can remove the driver with "sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia" but I cant get to the desktop to open terminal or anything so not sure how I am supposed to fix this. 

Reboot and either enter recovery console from GRUB, or at the blank screen press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to drop to a terminal screen. Login, and try running 'sudo nvidia-xconfig', then reboot.

Edited by Morcant

Yea thanks Morcant after doing some reading i found out how to boot into Grub and just picked a earlier kernel and it is booting fully. I tried Ctrl+Alt+F1 -F6 and it wasnt opening a terminal so i just picked a different kernel. 

Edit: Sigh I have downloaded and tried installing the nvidia driver but it says I cant because X server is running, so I try and sudo service lightdm stop and that doesnt work it just hangs on the "shutdown" looking screen. I also tried sudo init 3 to shut it down but that did work either. Any suggestions?

Edited by Causatum

Yea thanks Morcant after doing some reading i found out how to boot into Grub and just picked a earlier kernel and it is booting fully. I tried Ctrl+Alt+F1 -F6 and it wasnt opening a terminal so i just picked a different kernel. 

Edit: Sigh I have downloaded and tried installing the nvidia driver but it says I cant because X server is running, so I try and sudo service lightdm stop and that doesnt work it just hangs on the "shutdown" looking screen. I also tried sudo init 3 to shut it down but that did work either. Any suggestions?

AMD user myself so I have zero experience with the Nvidia driver. That being said are you downloading the driver off of the Nvidia site? I hope you are, dont use Ubuntu's driver manager. 

Try this:

Boot to recovery from grub, Once the terminal screen appears run the installer you downloaded from the official Nvidia site.  

If you need more detail let me know.

**EDIT**

This works with the AMD driver: If you are having trouble getting it to run try (maybe research first) adding the --force flag when launching from terminal

ie:  user@yourpc:~ /path/to/driver$ ./DRIVER.deb --force

Edited by triceration

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble, Causatum. Please try triceration's advice above. It's hard to troubleshoot X stuff with setups that go direct to X (like Ubuntu).

Sometimes you just need X to be off while you perform some 'surgery'. Try the key combination here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1777197

Once X is dead, you should be able to run the nVidia installer properly. Let us know how it goes.

I seem to be getting texture corruption with the multithreaded rendering now, since update 10.3.0. Some textures appear sort of rainbow-ish intermittently, almost like an oil slick atop water. Disabling the option resolves the issue. Anyone else have this?

I'm having a few issues getting warframe to work for me.

I'm using it through steam, and the launcher is working(well the text box is all white but im getting the right text, not an error if i highlight it)

however when i launch the game im getting stuck at checking for updates, there is no network activity happening, and i dont get any further even after leaving it overnight.

I have installed everything mentioned in the first post already

any suggestions? I'm getting sick of rebooting just to play warframe.

however when i launch the game im getting stuck at checking for updates, there is no network activity happening, and i dont get any further even after leaving it overnight.

What distro and what version of Wine are you using? Are you using a 32-bit Wine prefix? Aside from the Launcher.exe.tmp issue and the white text you're seeing, the launcher has been working perfectly for me from Wine 1.6 through 1.7.7, and the AppDB reports success with earlier Wine versions as well. Are you getting any error messages in the terminal output? This would be the terminal used to launch Steam with Wine if you're opening the game through the Steam interface; it should pipe the EE.log output and Wine "fixme" and error output to that terminal.

I've only used the standalone version of Warframe under Wine; I wonder if Steam could be causing a problem somehow.

Hi guys,

I recently installed Ubuntu 13.10 on my Macbook Pro and I've been trying to get Warframe to work for the past few days.

So far I've installed Wine 1.7.8 (32-bit Prefix) and the latest wine tricks, installed the d3dx9 and xact packages, and I've gotten the launcher to let me log in and accept the agreement (although the text is white and I need to highlight to see it.) The game appears to download, but gets stuck on "Checking for new content." I've tried disabling Bulk and Aggressive download but that does nothing at all to fix it. I started Conky and it shows network traffic and Warframe.exe is using about 14% of my CPU, but I've let the thing sit here for over 12 hours and it just says the same thing.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am launching through the terminal and this is what it gives me:

fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.fixme:msi:ITERATE_DuplicateFiles We should track these duplicate files as wellfixme:msi:ITERATE_DuplicateFiles We should track these duplicate files as wellkevin@kevin-MacBookPro:~$ fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage EM_SETMARGINS: stuberr:ole:CoGetClassObject class {e2b3c97f-6ae1-41ac-817a-f6f92166d7dd} not registerederr:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {e2b3c97f-6ae1-41ac-817a-f6f92166d7dd} could be created for context 0x1fixme:hnetcfg:fw_profile_get_FirewallEnabled 0x1694c0, 0x33de20fixme:wininet:InternetAttemptConnect Stubfixme:wininet:query_global_option Stub for 3fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUBfixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUBp11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directoryp11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directoryfixme:wininet:query_global_option Stub for 105fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage EM_SETMARGINS: stuberr:richedit:ReadStyleSheet skipping optional destinationerr:richedit:ReadStyleSheet skipping optional destinationfixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage EM_SETMARGINS: stuberr:richedit:ReadStyleSheet missing style numberfixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x50072 0x00000000fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage EM_SETMARGINS: stubfixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e458,0x00000000), stub!fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 0x36314644 (as fourcc: DF16) WINED3DFORMAT!fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format unrecognized (0x36314644) in the format lookup tablefixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 0x34324644 (as fourcc: DF24) WINED3DFORMAT!fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format unrecognized (0x34324644) in the format lookup tablefixme:wtsapi:WTSUnRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x50072fixme:wininet:InternetAttemptConnect Stubfixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUBfixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000

Also on a Side Note I've tried installing the proprietary Nvidia driver and I boot with a black screen with just my cursor and I end up reverting back to the nouveau driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by StratoS117

Hi guys,

I recently installed Ubuntu 13.10 on my Macbook Pro and I've been trying to get Warframe to work for the past few days.

So far I've installed Wine 1.7.8 (32-bit Prefix) and the latest wine tricks, installed the d3dx9 and xact packages, and I've gotten the launcher to let me log in and accept the agreement (although the text is white and I need to highlight to see it.) The game appears to download, but gets stuck on "Checking for new content." I've tried disabling Bulk and Aggressive download but that does nothing at all to fix it. I started Conky and it shows network traffic and Warframe.exe is using about 14% of my CPU, but I've let the thing sit here for over 12 hours and it just says the same thing.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am launching through the terminal and this is what it gives me:

fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.fixme:msi:ITERATE_DuplicateFiles We should track these duplicate files as wellfixme:msi:ITERATE_DuplicateFiles We should track these duplicate files as wellkevin@kevin-MacBookPro:~$ fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage EM_SETMARGINS: stuberr:ole:CoGetClassObject class {e2b3c97f-6ae1-41ac-817a-f6f92166d7dd} not registerederr:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {e2b3c97f-6ae1-41ac-817a-f6f92166d7dd} could be created for context 0x1fixme:hnetcfg:fw_profile_get_FirewallEnabled 0x1694c0, 0x33de20fixme:wininet:InternetAttemptConnect Stubfixme:wininet:query_global_option Stub for 3fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUBfixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUBp11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directoryp11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directoryfixme:wininet:query_global_option Stub for 105fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage EM_SETMARGINS: stuberr:richedit:ReadStyleSheet skipping optional destinationerr:richedit:ReadStyleSheet skipping optional destinationfixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage EM_SETMARGINS: stuberr:richedit:ReadStyleSheet missing style numberfixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x50072 0x00000000fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage EM_SETMARGINS: stubfixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e458,0x00000000), stub!fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 0x36314644 (as fourcc: DF16) WINED3DFORMAT!fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format unrecognized (0x36314644) in the format lookup tablefixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 0x34324644 (as fourcc: DF24) WINED3DFORMAT!fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format unrecognized (0x34324644) in the format lookup tablefixme:wtsapi:WTSUnRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x50072fixme:wininet:InternetAttemptConnect Stubfixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUBfixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000

Also on a Side Note I've tried installing the proprietary Nvidia driver and I boot with a black screen with just my cursor and I end up reverting back to the nouveau driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had a same trouble. I used to do -

1) Install through software center Wireshark.

2) Run in terminal  #Sudo wireshark

3) Click on interface where you have interne in wireshark

4) Restart Warframe laucnher via  terminal  - #wine launcher.exe

It works, if not, repeat the steps 2-4

Edited by Dude_on_the_Moon

I am not sure the nouveau driver will work for most of the recent games. I certainly have not heard of anyone being able to play warframe with it. The proprietary driver is recommended for playing games, currently. However, you mentioned it getting stuck at "Checking for new content". This part of the launcher (update) process always seems to cause problems.

Sometimes the download actually stops for some reason and you have to launch it again. Do you know if you have network activity? Some kind of network monitor applet for your desktop would be the easiest but there are others like tcpdump, iptraf and nagios or wireshark for the console.

Bear in mind that the update can be huge and take a very long time. Especially now that the assets have mushroomed (since closed beta).

AMD user myself so I have zero experience with the Nvidia driver. That being said are you downloading the driver off of the Nvidia site? I hope you are, dont use Ubuntu's driver manager. 

Try this:

Boot to recovery from grub, Once the terminal screen appears run the installer you downloaded from the official Nvidia site.  

If you need more detail let me know.

**EDIT**

This works with the AMD driver: If you are having trouble getting it to run try (maybe research first) adding the --force flag when launching from terminal

ie:  user@yourpc:~ /path/to/driver$ ./DRIVER.deb --force

I'm getting this same problem after installing the Nvidia driver that Steam suggested to me, 319 I think. My computer will boot up and upon trying to boot the current version, it gives a long string of " * Starting ___    [ Ok ]" and " *Stopping ___ [ Ok ]". Most work, until it reaches "*Starting  load fallback graphics devices  [FAIL]" . I'm not sure what the problem is (I'm an old Windows user and just got started on Linux really, running Ubuntu 12.04, 64-bit).

The only way I can boot at this point is to get into grub and choose "previous versions of Linux" much like Causatum.

I loaded up into grub and dropped into a root terminal and tried to run the installer (cd to my downloads folder, ./DRIVERNAME.deb) and it returns "permission denied", even with the --force flag. Any ideas?

I'm having a few issues getting warframe to work for me.

I'm using it through steam, and the launcher is working(well the text box is all white but im getting the right text, not an error if i highlight it)

I have installed everything mentioned in the first post already

any suggestions? I'm getting sick of rebooting just to play warframe.

I'm not trying to install Warframe through steam, I'm doing everything in the guide here but I still reach this problem so I don't think it's steam-related. I can start up the Launcher.exe through the terminal using wine, and the point where I have the launcher running, text is working (when highlighted), but it gets stuck at checking for updates with the progress bar about a quarter full. The terminal I used to launch it continuously throws the errors:

fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW (0x130948,0x28ec6c4,0x76c623e4),stub!
fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW RAS support is not implemented! Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!
fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW RAS support is not implemented! Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!
fixme:service:EnumServicesStatusW resume handle not supported

and just keeps going until I close the launcher; the launcher doesn't make any progress if it's left up.

What distro and what version of Wine are you using? Are you using a 32-bit Wine prefix? Aside from the Launcher.exe.tmp issue and the white text you're seeing, the launcher has been working perfectly for me from Wine 1.6 through 1.7.7, and the AppDB reports success with earlier Wine versions as well. Are you getting any error messages in the terminal output? This would be the terminal used to launch Steam with Wine if you're opening the game through the Steam interface; it should pipe the EE.log output and Wine "fixme" and error output to that terminal.

I've only used the standalone version of Warframe under Wine; I wonder if Steam could be causing a problem somehow.

I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit. I'm not sure I checked this right, but 'wine --version' in the terminal returns "wine-1.4". I don't think steam is the problem, since I'm not running it through steam and I'm getting the same error. I have all the libraries installed as well as d3dx9 and xact.

I think I'll try updating wine and trying again, I'll tell you guys how that goes.

EDIT:

Wine 1.6.1 throws the same errors. Any ideas?

Edited by Roelu86

Well i'm using it on PlayOnLinux and atleast for me it helped me to set a library override for "wininet" to builtin.

[EDIT]

Oh i forgot to mention that it is really really important that you start it from a terminal.

If you start it with a desktop icon for example you will get a crash window!

[/EDIT]

For basic installation i'm quite shure i followed the following guide:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/1dnnoj/warframe_on_linux/

My Launcher works withtout big problems (well of course i need to replace the launcher with the .tmp file from time to time and i still see white text on white background).

I already can join maps, but sadly crashes every time after some minutes of gameplay.

My wine version is a modified "1.7.1" with the following patch: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6901628/disable-dynamic-vertex-buffers.patch

I use an NVIDIA graphic card and need to run the game in window mode with lowest settings.

As mentioned above i can't finish any level on this game because of a crash that happens at a special interval (even on map overview).

Not shure if this some kind of protection or anything (it stops at a special opcode), i was already looking on the internet for descriptions but can't find any info about that.

I'm getting this same problem after installing the Nvidia driver that Steam suggested to me, 319 I think. My computer will boot up and upon trying to boot the current version, it gives a long string of " * Starting ___    [ Ok ]" and " *Stopping ___ [ Ok ]". Most work, until it reaches "*Starting  load fallback graphics devices  [FAIL]" . I'm not sure what the problem is (I'm an old Windows user and just got started on Linux really, running Ubuntu 12.04, 64-bit).

The only way I can boot at this point is to get into grub and choose "previous versions of Linux" much like Causatum.

I loaded up into grub and dropped into a root terminal and tried to run the installer (cd to my downloads folder, ./DRIVERNAME.deb) and it returns "permission denied", even with the --force flag. Any ideas?

I'm not trying to install Warframe through steam, I'm doing everything in the guide here but I still reach this problem so I don't think it's steam-related. I can start up the Launcher.exe through the terminal using wine, and the point where I have the launcher running, text is working (when highlighted), but it gets stuck at checking for updates with the progress bar about a quarter full. The terminal I used to launch it continuously throws the errors:

fixme:service:EnumServicesStatusW resume handle not supported

and just keeps going until I close the launcher; the launcher doesn't make any progress if it's left up.

I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit. I'm not sure I checked this right, but 'wine --version' in the terminal returns "wine-1.4". I don't think steam is the problem, since I'm not running it through steam and I'm getting the same error. I have all the libraries installed as well as d3dx9 and xact.

I think I'll try updating wine and trying again, I'll tell you guys how that goes.

EDIT:

Wine 1.6.1 throws the same errors. Any ideas?

Edited by TheCrazyT

Hey folks!

This is more of a pet project of mine, as I dual boot Win8 with Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon. It is quite vexing to me at this point, though.

I followed the directions, got the launcher to work, downloaded the updates/content, and finally got a play button. No errors, no glitches, nothing! Then...

When I click on PLAY, the Terminal/Launcher (I created a script button to run the launcher via terminal) disappears and nothing happens. I ran it several times, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

1. I installed Wine 1.6 and Winetricks.

2. I'm using a GT640 with a proprietary driver (319updates). I received no "unsupported graphics" errors.

3. I downloaded the DX9 packages and associated libs without issue.

4. I ran the launcher via Terminal.

5. Everything works except for hitting PLAY, where both windows (Terminal/Launcher) disappear.

Help?

Hoo boy. This is gonna be long.

The game appears to download, but gets stuck on "Checking for new content." I've tried disabling Bulk and Aggressive download but that does nothing at all to fix it. I started Conky and it shows network traffic and Warframe.exe is using about 14% of my CPU, but I've let the thing sit here for over 12 hours and it just says the same thing.

Make sure you have libgnutls or libgnutls26:i386 installed via your package manager. It's very easy to overlook the missing 32-bit lib if you're running a 32-bit Wine prefix in a 64-bit system, because it will tell you libgnutls is already installed. What it means is that libgnutls:amd64 is installed; you need to specify libgnutls:i386 for our purposes here. If for some reason those do not exist, use 'apt-cache search libgnutls' to find the appropriate (non-dbg, non-dev) gnutls package for your distribution.

Regarding the Nvidia driver, it should be straightforward, with the addition of running 'sudo nvidia-xconfig' to generate an appropriate xorg.conf file after installation and before rebooting. If your configuration includes a laptop Optimus setup, I can't help as that's outside my experience.

See above about reinstalling the Nvidia driver with nvidia-xconfig; I recommend getting it directly from Nvidia's site if you didn't previously. Same advice about the gnutls libs also applies for the launcher troubles.

Also, you need to use dpkg to install a .deb file, like so: 'sudo dpkg -i DRIVERNAME.deb'

I already can join maps, but sadly crashes every time after some minutes of gameplay.

My wine version is a modified "1.7.1" with the following patch: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6901628/disable-dynamic-vertex-buffers.patch

I use an NVIDIA graphic card and need to run the game in window mode with lowest settings.

Not shure if this some kind of protection or anything (it stops at a special opcode), i was already looking on the internet for descriptions but can't find any info about that.

It is certainly not any kind of built-in protection. I run the game very regularly in Linux.

Have you tried without the Wine patch? Are there any useful error messages in the terminal output when the game crashes?

When I click on PLAY, the Terminal/Launcher (I created a script button to run the launcher via terminal) disappears and nothing happens. I ran it several times, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Need more information here. You said you made a "script button" to launch the game; it's probably easier if you don't do that until you get it running correctly from a normal terminal. Run whatever your script does by hand in a terminal so you can see the output for troubleshooting without the terminal window auto-closing.

Edited by Morcant

You are great!

I was quite shure that i tried it with an unpatched version already.

Now i tried it with unpatched wine version 1.7.2 and was able to play through 2 maps without any trouble.

Only problem i now have is the "dark texture" problem, but i guess i could live with that.

Hoo boy. This is gonna be long.

Make sure you have libgnutls or libgnutls26:i386 installed via your package manager. It's very easy to overlook the missing 32-bit lib if you're running a 32-bit Wine prefix in a 64-bit system, because it will tell you libgnutls is already installed. What it means is that libgnutls:amd64 is installed; you need to specify libgnutls:i386 for our purposes here. If for some reason those do not exist, use 'apt-cache search libgnutls' to find the appropriate (non-dbg, non-dev) gnutls package for your distribution.

Regarding the Nvidia driver, it should be straightforward, with the addition of running 'sudo nvidia-xconfig' to generate an appropriate xorg.conf file after installation and before rebooting. If your configuration includes a laptop Optimus setup, I can't help as that's outside my experience.

See above about reinstalling the Nvidia driver with nvidia-xconfig; I recommend getting it directly from Nvidia's site if you didn't previously. Same advice about the gnutls libs also applies for the launcher troubles.

Also, you need to use dpkg to install a .deb file, like so: 'sudo dpkg -i DRIVERNAME.deb'

It is certainly not any kind of built-in protection. I run the game very regularly in Linux.

Have you tried without the Wine patch? Are there any useful error messages in the terminal output when the game crashes?

Need more information here. You said you made a "script button" to launch the game; it's probably easier if you don't do that until you get it running correctly from a normal terminal. Run whatever your script does by hand in a terminal so you can see the output for troubleshooting without the terminal window auto-closing.

Haven't played for a few weeks, so unsure what changed. Originally it was just a case of lighting issues and missing textures - now its a case of blurriness (if you have played wow, and gotten the character extremely drunk - its like that), some textures wink from normal blur to rainbow colored blur. If the avatar is up close to a solid object, the crisp visuals from a few months before, return. I suspect this is dynamic view distancing?

I can't be sure. I can't get into options. The game crashes. Every single time.

from launcher, multi-thread rendering is disabled; 64bit Mode is greyed out; directX 11 is greyed out.
wine version 1.6.1 x86_64

nv driver version : 331.20 (64bit, with 32bit opengl libraries install offers)
wine prefix was setup as a 32bit (back when I first ran this, 32bit was the only way to get it to run); virtual desktop (letting anything run fullscreen from my experience, means a hard reboot is the only way to solve unfortunate issues)

wine console output, from the moment I press the options button :

68.630 Script [info]: Background::OpenScreen(screenName=Settings)
68.633 Script [info]: Background::PushChildMovie(Settings)
68.634 Script [info]: Settings::Initialize()
68.635 Net [info]: VOIP: Set volume to 6.30957
68.636 Sys [info]: VoiceMgrWindows initialized (Total: 1ms)
6err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
8.637 Sys [info]: Changing voip sound output device to
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
Error [Debug]: Loaded unexpected version of dbghelp.dll from C
err:dbghelp:SymCleanup this process has not had SymInitialize() called for it!
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff72f0000
Error [Debug]: Could not load module C.
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff75c0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff7270000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff7130000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff7030000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff45d0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff4ae0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff45a0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff4570000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff4550000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff44d0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff41a0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff3710000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff4310000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address ffffffffe1ad0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff44c0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address ffffffffe1a30000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address ffffffffe0ca0000
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x41a545

Any ideas? I'm unsure how Lotus feels about a Tenno drinking "mutiple cases" before each mission.

Haven't played for a few weeks, so unsure what changed. Originally it was just a case of lighting issues and missing textures - now its a case of blurriness (if you have played wow, and gotten the character extremely drunk - its like that), some textures wink from normal blur to rainbow colored blur. If the avatar is up close to a solid object, the crisp visuals from a few months before, return. I suspect this is dynamic view distancing?

wine console output, from the moment I press the options button :

68.635 Net [info]: VOIP: Set volume to 6.30957

68.636 Sys [info]: VoiceMgrWindows initialized (Total: 1ms)

6err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded

8.637 Sys [info]: Changing voip sound output device to

I don't even know where to begin solving the crashing issue there. Googling the error has some suggestions regarding missing 32-bit ALSA/PulseAudio libs, which sounds plausible since it's right after it initializes voice settings... but tons of other things are also mentioned in relation. Personally, I'd try reinstalling Wine and creating a fresh prefix.

Once you can get to the options, the blurring issue is probably just a DOF problem, maybe brought on by a GPU driver update.

... Actually, that reminds me. If you've updated your system lately and any xorg components were updated, you might need to reinstall your GPU driver. The driver install routine usually modifies or redirects certain other packages, and if those subsequently get updated, it can stop working properly. I've encountered this several times with the Catalyst driver, to the point where I just automatically reinstall it now following any updates to xorg or mesa components. Probably worth a shot, at least.

I have finally gotten Warframe to run on my linux boot, with a few complications:  most textures are either black, or completely transparent ingame (star map is fine) and there is no sound (at startup of the game after the launcher, it says that I am missing xAudio2, which should be the xact) and, I can only run the game by doing  "wine msiexec /i /Downloads/Warframe.msi" instead of the launcher...

Distro: Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Wine Version:  1.7.10

Graphics Card: Intel Integrated Graphics >3000   (Yes, I know that it is bad)

Read through the thread (thanks everybody, it's been a huge help so far) and saw that a couple of people had the "takes a really, really long time to 'Check for new content'" bug, but didn't really see a solution mentioned. If I leave it for a couple of hours, it eventually seems to finish; I can hit play in the launcher, launch the game, but then the game load takes so long to load I have to leave it for another couple of hours, and then the game will be ready for me to login.

Since I'd just as soon not plan out my Warframe sessions 16 hours in advance, does anyone have any guidance on how to improve performance in these areas? This seems to be related to either Wine's wininet implementation (which I installed with winetricks) or some sub-optimal disk I/O performance. Winecfg doesn't give me any options to fiddle with either, though.

This is Ubuntu 12.10, Wine 1.7.10, installed the dll's and libraries mentioned in the thread, etc. I'm fairly certain the game works (CPU and GPU aren't likely the issue here) it's just that updating and the initial load are taking two orders of magnitude longer than they should be. Thoughts?

Edit: Now that I look at my router traffic, it looks like every time I launch it's downloading the entire thing all over again (2.3 GB or so.) How do I get it to recognize that it's already been downloaded?

Edited by crashfrog

Edit: Now that I look at my router traffic, it looks like every time I launch it's downloading the entire thing all over again (2.3 GB or so.) How do I get it to recognize that it's already been downloaded?

Sounds strange. But it's hard to say, because wine directory structures can be a bit convoluted. I just tried a test install on a temporary wine prefix and it went without a hitch.

$ mkdir ~/wineprefixes/warframe-temp$ export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wineprefixes/warframe-temp## specifies the new directory as the current working wine folder (essentially makes a new copy of "Windows")$ wineboot$ winetricks d3dx9 xact## wininet and/or winhttp should not be needed any longer$ wine msiexec /i ~/downloads/Warframe.msi## Choose install location, let's say in the wine directory's Program Files## Wait for small initial download of launcher to finish and begin ~3GB download, then$ wineserver -k## in the terminal window to kill it$ cd ~/wineprefixes/warframe-temp/drive_c/Program\ Files/Warframe/Downloaded/Public$ rm -rf Cache.Windows## delete the game asset folder the launcher just created and its contents$ ln -s /media/sda1/Steam/SteamApps/common/Warframe/Cache.Windows## symlink the Cache.Windows folder already downloaded (in this case, my Steam directory in Windows)$ wine msiexec /i ~/downloads/Warframe.msi## ~10MB download, then it verifies for a few seconds, and presents the Play button.

Pay no mind to the numerous fixme messages wine spits out. They almost never hamper functionality, and certainly don't seem to in Warframe's case.

If you're not using wine otherwise at the moment, the simplest thing is to wipe the wine prefix (~/.wine by default) and start fresh. It sounds like something has gotten mucked up in either a registry entry or a Warframe .cfg file, and neither of those are easily fixable. Just find and copy the Cache.Windows folder somewhere safe first to greatly speed your troubleshooting efforts.

Incidentally, are you using the standalone install or the Steam version? I'm trying to think of why there's a ~700MB discrepancy in our download sizes, and a moderately out-of-date Steam repo seems like a possibility. Just curious.

for me it is downloading entire game again, and what is worse the folder keeps growing in size last time before i removed it to start clean was 12gb+. The only config i was able to run past  the launcher was giving me many crashes so i started to move things and.. it never started right again

Edit:

Ok, managed to get it working again

in addition to Morcant's spoiler you need to

export WINEARCH=win32

before the

wineboot

Note: if you can spare the disk space keep a clean copy of an updated Cache.Windows directory just in case the launcher messes everything up.

Note2: to make it easy to launch create a link in your personal directory (~)

ln -s $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/users/$USER/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Tools/Launcher.exe

once made the link you can start it by doing

wine Launcher.exe
Edited by jjpx