Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Balance

Kalenath

In all things, there must be Balance

Jesse never quite lost consciousness. Whatever Suno had done wasn't enough to knock her out completely. She was calm, but docile which was totally wrong for her. Draco led her back onto the portal platform and held her with Suno as the others joined them there. Raven, Karl, Olim, Mori as well as the others of Ona's small clan who had come with the tiny Nyx.

"I know you will be angry with me, Jesse." Suno said as the portal powered up. "But you were hurting. You seared your flesh badly with the energy of your nunchaku. Second degree burns are no joke. You will not be out completely, we won't do that to you." The tiny Healer promised. Jesse tried to glare at her but could not muster the energy. Suno understood though. She sighed. "I know, Jesse."

"She has a right to her anger." Olim said as he took a space just behind Jesse. "She gave her word and it was violated." His voice did not change inflection, but disapproval sang in it. "So did I."

"Honor is all well and good." Suno retorted, ignoring Karl as she focused on Jesse. "But it has to be moderated with a certain amount of sense."

"No." Karl's one word reply silenced everything for a moment as he stood with Raven whose expression was still thunderous.

"Tenno Karl." Suno pleaded. "If there are only two ways to go, honorable or dead, then eventually everyone is either dishonored or dead!"

"To each their own." Karl retorted. "I do not try and argue healing with Iriana or you. Do not try to argue points of honor with me. What Iriana did was needed. But it was wrong." Jesse felt a bit of relief at that. Karl felt as she did, but he was following his orders. She did understand. Just the thought of Draco losing control in a space habitat crowded with non-combatants was enough to make her sick to her stomach. "Jesse may forgive, eventually." The Rhino mused. "She will not forget." He warned.

"I know." Suno slumped as she held Jesse's arm. "She understands us. I gave her enough to keep her calm until we can get her to healing she can trust. The pain she was masking was going to start eating past her control soon. We need to get her back." She glanced at the floor. "Portal?"

"On it." Olim replied and code swept from his hands to touch the floor which started to glow. "Everyone?" He asked. No one moved and he shrugged. "Was just asking."

"I am not leaving Jesse or Draco." Raven declared. "As far as I am concerned, both of them need me." Jesse perked up a bit at that. Raven was going to represent Draco? Elders could do that if they felt the need. Apparently, Raven did. The floor lit up brighter. "That was quick, Olim."

"What the-?" Olim snapped as something happened. "That is not me!" Everyone tensed. Karl and Mori drew weapons as Olim did the same.

Jesse. The voice that touched Jesse's mind was familiar. Jasmina. We are bringing you all in. Medical support is standing by. Tell Olim not to- Oh crap! What did they do to you?

Jas- Jasmina... Jesse managed to grate the words out in her mind. Lied. Drugged.

No. Jasmina's mental tone was sick now. Jesse, no one lied to you. Iriana did not spread the news around. She was worried. About you.

I gave my word! Jesse screamed past the numbness in her mind. By Blood and by Steel! I gave my word and you broke it!

You...? The Caretaker's mental voice broke off for a moment. Then she sighed. I see. When next she spoke, it was louder. From their suddenly intent postures, everyone heard her. We are bringing you to the Citadel. Jesse needs help.

"A little warning would not have been amiss, Jasmina." Olim replied as his code faded. "Why is it taking so long?"

Sorry for not consulting you. We have been moving very quickly. Jasmina replied. Iriana is trying to stop the transit. She thinks she can heal this. No one knew that Jesse swore by Blood and Steel. Tenno did not swear such oaths lightly or often. When they did, a planet would move before most Tenno would. Iriana did not know.

If I see her...! Jesse snapped out, only to slump as Suno did something.

"Jesse." Suno warned. "I will put you out completely if you do not calm down. You are hurting. You just do not feel it at the moment." Jesse turned to look at Draco but he shook his head, acknowledging the tiny Healer's words. "I know you are angry. You have cause. But please, Jesse." Suno begged. "Calm down."

A golden glow rose from the floor, stilling all on the platform into immobility. As always, it seemed to last forever, but Jesse knew it was only milliseconds before the flash took hold and pulled them through time and space. To her numbed mind, it was beautiful, the transit. She and the others seemed to be moving along a golden tunnel. The walls crawled with code that she could not -quite- make out. But it was all... so...

"Help!" Suno called as the golden glow faded. "She has second degree burns on her neck and I had to give her something. I don't know if she is all here, but she was looking at the Orokin code!"

Things happened fast. One moment, Jesse was standing between Draco and Suno, the next she was on the floor. Suno and a Volt she recognized as Roger -the doc at the Citadel- were kneeling beside her. Olim stood just a little apart from them.

"Jesse." Olim's voice was soft, kind. But underneath it lay worry. "Let it go."

"Beautiful." Jesse murmured as Roger and Suno worked. "It was so beautiful. I... I need to see it again."

"Jesse!" Olim snapped. "You have to let it go! It was designed to be entrancing! To pull people in when they used machinery. But not our kind! I know Trinity told you. Shield girl! Now!"

"I..." Jesse swallowed hard and focused her mind as she had been taught. It was hard. Something was singing in her mind. She shied away from that instinctively and focused on her shields. As she finished the last barrier, the singing faded. "I... Oh dear. That was too close..." She swallowed hard.

Trinity had told her stories about Tenno who had been entranced by Orokin machinery. Very few of them had ended well. Only a fool knowingly tried to enslave Tenno. But the Orokin machinery wasn't designed to know the difference between humans and Tenno. Humans could use it with no problem. Tenno? Their energy would drain to the point that they could not recover.

"I am sorry, Jesse." Suno was crying. "I had to keep your pain from overwhelming your code."

"Not your fault, Suno." Jesse reached out with a slow hand to take the small Trinity's. She gave it a squeeze. "Not your fault. Draco...?" She pleaded as she focused. The Volt kneeling beside her did something and she felt better. It stood to reason that the Citadel would know what to do with Tenno who were exposed to such energies. "I am better."

"Stop scaring us, Jesse." Draco said evenly.

"I will do my best." Jesse relaxed as whatever the docs were doing worked it's magic through her. "I didn't know how badly I was burned." She checked herself and found her wounds healing. She had never even sensed them before. "Wow. That was... bad. Wasn't it?" Suno made a sour noise.

"You never felt it through your code." Roger's voice was clinical, distant. "You should rest for a time."

"We need to end this." Jesse said savagely. "I am not going to break!" Her tone was sharp as Suno and Roger looked at one another.

"Not for lack of trying." The Volt doctor's voice was sour as he rose to his feet. "Can you sit up?" Jesse focused herself and sat up slowly. Suno's hand on her arm wasn't needed, but Jesse appreciated it. Roger shook his head a little. "Take it slow, Jesse. The music has faded, but it isn't gone." Jesse gulped and Roger nodded. "A couple of days and it will be. Don't focus on it if it comes back. And tell someone if you hear the music."

"I will." Jesse promised. "Thank you." Roger patted her arm and like a flash, he was gone. She looked at the group surrounding her and let out a deep sigh of regret. "I am sorry."

"Not your fault, Jesse." Raven stood beside Karl and her face was remote. "But you will need to focus on keeping your shields up. That means Olim and Riana will handle whatever coding has to be done." Jesse stiffened in instant rebellion, but subsided as Raven waged a finger at her. "You will let them do it."

"I will." Jesse bowed her head to accept the command. "We need to get to..." She gave an eep as Olim bent down and scooped her up into his arms. "Olim! Put me down!" She smirked. "People will talk!"

"Let them." Olim said with a sigh. "They are going to anyway. Might as well go full bore. Jasmina is waiting for us at Nikis' quarters. With him." Jesse jerked, she stared around, but realized that the unconscious human who had been on the platform was nowhere to be seen. She stared up at Olim's closed faceplate and Olim nodded. "We can't be sure until we have done full checks, but preliminary sweeps show the code has integrated properly."

"Don't take any chances." Jesse pleaded.

"I won't." Olim said as he started off. The others followed in silence. "One thing, Jesse. You will not be involved." Jesse stared at the Frost Prime and then she slumped a bit. "It is nothing against you, Jesse." He reassured her.

"If it turns hostile, I cannot defend myself except with code." Jesse said sadly. "I know. I will just... will fret."

"No, you won't." Draco replied. Jesse turned to look at him and he shook his head. "You will be busy."

"Doing what?" Jesse demanded. "Worrying about you?"

"No." A new voice sounded as they approached a cross corridor. Jesse turned her head to see an Ember Prime warframe standing there. "I will take her, Olim." Draco looked at Jasmina who bowed to him. "And I -we- will ward her."

"I will hold you to that, caretaker." Draco replied. He laid a hand on Jesse's arm as Jesse hissed in fear and worry. "Your concern for me touches me greatly, Tenno Jesse. For the first time in a long time, I wish I could understand emotion."

"You do." Jesse protested. "You love. You hate. You fear. You feel." Draco sighed.

"Jesse." The silver Volt Prime said quietly. "Yes, I feel. But I do not understand what I feel or why. It doesn't make any sense to me. It never did. I learned to cope. Nothing more." Jesse felt her eyes start to burn as Jasmina took her from Olim. Draco moved to stand next to her. Jesse did not miss Karl and Mori both tensing. But Draco just took her hand and pulled it to his closed facemask. "No matter what happens, Sister Jesse, be true to the Code."

"I will." Jesse promised. She gasped as Draco's faceplate retracted. His face inside was ageless. He kissed her hand and then he was gone. Karl, Mori and Olim were gone with him. "I... I..." Jesse stammered.

"He doesn't love you, Jesse." Raven said quietly. Jesse nodded, tears starting to fall. "Oh girl. I know." Then she turned to Jasmina. "Be gentle." This was a command. "Suno. Ona. With me. We have a lot to discuss."

A wealth of disapproval sounded in the Elder's voice. Then again, they had incapacitated her to kidnap Jesse from under her nose. Suno and Ona both stiffened, but then bowed to the Elder. Raven walked away, the others following her. That left Jesse lying in Jasmina's arms, trying to curb her tears.

Easy, Jesse. Jasmina's voice came into Jesse's mind. A mix of sad, of proud, of resigned. And something else. Something that Jesse couldn't quite put her finger on. It isn't your fault.

"How can you talk to me like that? I thought the telepathy was a one-time thing." Jesse asked as Jasmina started off. "And where are we going?"

Your telepathy was. The Ember Prime has a smirk in her mental voice now. But if we wish, we can talk to anyone. We rarely wish to. It leaves us vulnerable. Jesse stiffened as she understood the trust that the Caretaker was showing her.

"So... why now?" Jesse asked as Jasmina turned to a door ahead that was blinking green.

Because this is a private conversation. Jasmina said with a sigh as the door hissed open. The room beyond was empty. But... Jesse stiffened anew as she felt something. Something changed and another form appeared from a doorway. Apparently the doorway to a washroom. Jesse's eyes went huge as the female Tenno moved to a chair and sat. She wasn't wearing anything under her robe, that was abundantly clear from how she walked. Elenia and I drew straws. She won.

"You...were going to say 'No'." Jesse said as Jasmina laid her on the bed.

"We were." The Caretaker known as Elenia smiled at Jesse's expression as Jasmina retreated to the door. "We didn't think it was appropriate. You are Janet's daughter and a new sister." The door hissed shut as Jasmina left the room. Elenia did not move from her chair. "We changed our minds. We are females. We can do that."

"Why?" Jesse asked, not daring to move.

"Because first, you were right. A girl's first time should be special." Elenia had a fond smile on her face now. "And second? You need to be distracted for a bit. Trust me. You will be." Her smiled turned wicked.

"I don't know what to say." Jesse said weakly.

"Nothing may come of this, Jesse. My way and Jasmina's way is not yours." Elenia still hadn't moved. "You do not know what you want. You have no frames of reference besides whatever bootleg holos you may have seen." Jesse could not control a blush and Elenia smiled wider. "Ah, figured. They don't measure up." Jesse just looked at her and Elenia chuckled. "Okay, bad pun."

"Ya think?" Jesse felt a grin start on her face. She didn't try to stop it very hard.

"Jesse, you are young. You have time." Elenia rose from her chair and walked to the bed where she sat, out of reach. "I can make your first time special. But in the end, it is your choice. If you encounter anything that is not your choice, it can and will warp you for the rest of your life. Lis is never going to forget what happened to her. She will get over it, eventually. She is tough. But forget? She can't."

"Sister Harriet cannot either." Jesse said weakly. "I... is it wrong that I am afraid?" Elenia shook her head.

"This is new." Elenia stretched out a hand to touch Jesse's. Jesse fought to keep it from trembling, but Elenia did nothing more. "The unknown is always scary."

"But the way to conquer that..." Jesse said with a smile. "Is to explore. To see. To understand." Elenia nodded. "What do I do?" She asked as she took the Caretaker's hand in her own.

"Relax." Elenia said she cradled Jesse's hand to her chest. "If anything bothers you at all, at any time, say so. You know that your body is out of whack. We need to balance it. We can and will." Jesse nodded a bit dubiously and Elenia smiled even wider as her free hand went...somewhere else.

"I think we can make this a night to remember."

Raven sighed as she sat in one of the communal halls of the Citadel. Ona and her small group of miniature Tenno stood and Raven waved irritably at them.

"Sit." The Elder commanded. The others obeyed and she continued. "I understand why you did what you did. Saving Jesse was paramount. But you assaulted me. You put her in worse danger. If you had asked, we would have helped."

"I know." Ona's voice was abject now. "We didn't think that it would be hard or take as long as it did."

"And you think like Nikis." Raven gave a long suffering sigh. "His idea of communication is to shoot something." No one of the others would meet her gaze and she sighed again. Her voice hardened. "Enough. You made a mistake. You angered me and others. You are not alone Ona, Suno, everyone. You are not alone anymore. You don't have to be alone anymore." Now they were all staring at her. She rose from her chair and knelt in front of them. "You have been out of balance for so long. You think that is the only way to be. It isn't."

"But..." Maric -the tiny Frost's voice was stunned. "We are different."

"So?" Raven demanded caustically. "I am not the same as Karl. Neither of us is the same as Olim, or Riana." She paused. "Thank god!" She said fervently and the other chuckled a bit. "One of her is more than enough at times." She held out her arms slowly. "You are not alone. Not anymore. Your balance must be restored. I am Raven."

"I..." Ona swallowed hard, but Suno rose and stepped forward.

"Raven, I greet you." Suno was crying as she knelt in front of the elder. "I greet you." Raven pulled her into an embrace as the others swarmed in, most of them crying as Raven was.

"Well..." The disembodied voice sounded pleased. "That went better than expected."

"Do you have any idea what Draco is going to do when he wakes up?" The second voice was familiar. Nikis was somewhere between amused and sad.

"Nope." The first voice replied. "None of us do. Hence why Karl, Mori and Olim will not let him out of their sight until he is vetted by the shrinks. Can't really blame them."

"Should we tell them?" Another voice -female- sounded. Janet was worried.

"We cannot hold their hands, Janet." Nikis sounded sad and sick now. "Never ends well when people do that. They have to figure it out on their own. What I did -we did- was wrong and evil."

"It was needed, my friend." The first voice said gently. "The cost to you, to us, to everyone, was dear. But now? We have a chance to end this. To actually end this half existence once and for all. The means may finally exist."

"If Draco is sane when he comes out of that thing." Janet replied, her tone still worried. "Jesse will help. If she doesn't turn into a closet nymphomaniac that is." She said sourly. But her tone held amusement too.

"Draco?" Nikis laughed. "Sane? Oh Janet. You told a funny!"

"Shut up, you old faker." Janet replied with a snarl that was halfhearted. "You are hoping just as the rest of us are."

"Could use a rest." Nikis replied offhand by way of agreement. "The Balance has lasted for far longer than any of us dreamed. But as in all things, nothing is forever."

"In all things, there must be Balance." The first voice said quietly. "And the balance between life and death has been unbalanced for far too long. It is time. And more than time."

"Yes, First One." Janet and Nikis both said quietly.

"Time to shut down the database."

Edited by Kalenath

(Yes, the manure IS about to hit the rotary air impeller. And you thought it was nearly over? HA! Comments or suggestions always appreciated. Flames might have to clean up the mess that is ABOUT to result.)

How has Jesse not had some lasting brain damage from losing consciousnessesany times? Basically every chapter she's either asleep or knocked out or in the virtual reality world.

This time she was none of the above. Just given a strong painkiller to keep the agony from her burns under control. Of course, that led to OTHER problems, but hey... She survived.

And as to HOW she has managed to keep her mind intact this time? Suno's quick thinking. Friends can help a great deal.

Jesse isn't human anymore, so human limitations do not always apply. She is also tough! As far as Tenno go, she is not that strong or powerful. As far as humans go? She physically and mentally outstrips any human ever born.

Edited by Kalenath

I see. What's with Nikis, is he a bit crazy now? It doesn't seem like him to say "you told a funny"

It just feels out of character for someone who's supposed to be Grandmaster of the Dead. Doesn't exactly ring, imo

I was not quite expecting that sudden turn to "XXX-land"
But still lovin this :P

also... Shut down the Database?
There are only so many ways that could go wrong/not as expected.

no more Hayden,

no more mr. & mrs. Draco

no more advice beyond death

etc.

curious how you are going to catch your own curveball Kal

Edited by BaIthazar

I see. What's with Nikis, is he a bit crazy now? It doesn't seem like him to say "you told a funny"

It just feels out of character for someone who's supposed to be Grandmaster of the Dead. Doesn't exactly ring, imo

He has ALWAYS been crazy. But he is also a creature of duty. There are times to be serious and times not to be. What is coming is about as serious as it can get. The shades of the First Tenno and his successors, of the Orokin Marines, of ALL of the Orokin dead, reside in that database. Shutting it down will destroy them all. But as the First Tenno said, it is ONLY a half existence and they are all tired of it.

Nikis' sense of humor is odd, mind you. He is also mostly asleep at the moment. So, I for one am NOT going to argue with him. About ANYTHING. I might wake him up.

He wakes up grumpy.

I was not quite expecting that sudden turn to "XXX-land"

But still lovin this :P

also... Shut down the Database?

There are only so many ways that could go wrong/not as expected.

no more Hayden,

no more mr. & mrs. Draco

no more advice beyond death

etc.

curious how you are going to catch your own curveball Kal

Had to be careful not to get too far into that particular land. Been accused of writing porn already.

Jesse needed the balance. Ona, Suno and the others needed the balance. Draco REALLY needs the balance (if it works).

As for the database? Yes. All of them gone. No, a LOT of people are NOT going to be happy. I wonder how the CORPUS would react...? (The Clergy might or might not approve. The others? Loss of massive potential profit.)

Edited by Kalenath

Oh boy ORDIS!!!! PREP THE WEAPONS AND GET ME MORE AMMO THEN PREARM THE NUKES!! ALL HELLS  BROKEN LOOSE!!! also call a doctor as well!! we are gonna need one once the cleaning lady sees the aftermath of the S#$t hitting the fan in the quantity's we are talking about

Edited by evafan002

interersting outcome, "shutdown the database"!!!!

I wonder if someone will decide to keep the database working at all costs. It's energy after all.

This possibility brings me memories. Does "Mako reactor" remind you of anything? If yes, extrapolate the concept with the database...

Had to be careful not to get too far into that particular land. Been accused of writing porn already.

Jesse needed the balance. Ona, Suno and the others needed the balance. Draco REALLY needs the balance (if it works).

As for the database? Yes. All of them gone. No, a LOT of people are NOT going to be happy. I wonder how the CORPUS would react...? (The Clergy might or might not approve. The others? Loss of massive potential profit.)

I don't mind a little xxx but there's always that 1% who don't like that stuff.