The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Mission Type: Virulent Infestation

securitywyrm

I'd like to propose a new mission type, virulent infestation.

The Virulent Infestation mission is a sabotage mission (Destroy the reactor) with a twist. You start with a timer that shows how long until the infestation is able to compromise your armor, which is a "Complete mission in X time or you lose." Every time an infested damages your health, it also takes a few seconds off your timer. You can not revive if your timer runs out.

These would be fun for special alert missions, as they add an extra bit of excitement and challenge. 

Aren't the Tenno immune to the infestation? I'm basing this off Dark Sector and the materials Warframes are made from.

Yes, but it could still compromise their armor. The tenno are immune, but you don't bring something heavily infested back to your base.

And what if we are swarmed by hoards of infested and Ancients?

You lose. The challenge in one of these missions is that you can't just wade through the light units swinging a Scindo. You have to be more careful and utilize distance attacks while keeping your shield up. 

Rusher's heaven. Timer mission.

We can safely assume that DE is going to implement more anti-rush mechanisms in the future. 

Sounds like an interesting idea, but maybe for the sake of being lore friendly instead of your suit being compromised you only have a certain amount of time before the infestation reaches a populated area and so you're trying to destroy the ship before that happens. Otherwise why would the Tenno be okay to be attacked by Infested on other levels yet not this one?

I'm not sure how you would implement the reduced timer with each hit though, that's "a question for men with skinny arms."

Sounds like an interesting idea, but maybe for the sake of being lore friendly instead of your suit being compromised you only have a certain amount of time before the infestation reaches a populated area and so you're trying to destroy the ship before that happens. Otherwise why would the Tenno be okay to be attacked by Infested on other levels yet not this one?

I'm not sure how you would implement the reduced timer with each hit though, that's "a question for men with skinny arms."

"The atmosphere within this ship is highly corrosive. It is only a matter of time before it starts to affect your armor. Avoid damage and be swift."

How's that?

"The atmosphere within this ship is highly corrosive. It is only a matter of time before it starts to affect your armor. Avoid damage and be swift."

How's that?

My only question then would be why bother with the ship at all? If it is truly corrosive (enough to break through a warframe) then wouldn't the ship itself eventually disintegrate? And wouldn't the infested on board be dead by the time you got there? I'm sure there's a lot of ways to explain this (the infested evolve to the environment, the ship is much stronger and so on) but these answers would need to be given constantly and a lot of people wont really look for answers and will either be confused or will just shut the idea down.

I like the idea of this mission a lot though so don't think I'm shooting it down or anything, just trying to hammer it out til it's seamless.

Just a thought (not the best one but I'm just throwing out ideas in hope they'll get better) maybe the reason the timer goes down when you are attacked is because the infested absorb some of your matter making the infestation even stronger and the risk greater(?)

Edited by Minnow23

My only question then would be why bother with the ship at all? If it is truly corrosive (enough to break through a warframe) then wouldn't the ship itself eventually disintegrate? And wouldn't the infested on board be dead by the time you got there? I'm sure there's a lot of ways to explain this (the infested evolve to the environment, the ship is much stronger and so on) but these takes answers would need to be given constantly and a lot of people wont really look for answers and will either be confused or will just shut the idea down.

I like the idea of this mission a lot though so don't think I'm shooting it down or anything, just trying to hammer it out til it's seamless.

Just a thought (not the best one but I'm just throwing out ideas in hope they'll get better) maybe the reason the timer goes down when you are attacked is because the infested absorb some of your matter making the infestation even stronger and the risk greater(?)

Maybe there is something valuable on the ship that we must get before it collapses maybe?

Not like a raid but something...a bit similar...

Maybe there is something valuable on the ship that we must get before it collapses maybe?

Not like a raid but something...a bit similar...

That would explain why we were on a dangerous ship in the first place, and could potentially work for other current game modes as well (rescue, capture, raid, mobile defense, spy).

My biggest concern is that there's a clear and obvious threat that puts you in danger (by "clear and obvious" I mean we wont have to justify why we are in danger, because if we have to stop and think "Wait, why is this ship falling apart again?" it loses some of the pressure and value that would come with it). If we were going with Securitywyrm's original idea of a sabotage mission there should be a clear consequence that would happen if we failed to destroy the ship (the infestation will spread, the ships cargo is radioactive and will cause massive destruction on a population), if we go with your idea that there is something valuable on the ship we need to acquire it should put us in danger if we don't get it (the ship is flying into a star, the ship is self destructing, our evac can only wait so long before pulling out, something like that).

That would explain why we were on a dangerous ship in the first place, and could potentially work for other current game modes as well (rescue, capture, raid, mobile defense, spy).

My biggest concern is that there's a clear and obvious threat that puts you in danger (by "clear and obvious" I mean we wont have to justify why we are in danger, because if we have to stop and think "Wait, why is this ship falling apart again?" it loses some of the pressure and value that would come with it). If we were going with Securitywyrm's original idea of a sabotage mission there should be a clear consequence that would happen if we failed to destroy the ship (the infestation will spread, the ships cargo is radioactive and will cause massive destruction on a population), if we go with your idea that there is something valuable on the ship we need to acquire it should put us in danger if we don't get it (the ship is flying into a star, the ship is self destructing, our evac can only wait so long before pulling out, something like that).

Indeed...also to add to the danger someone had an idea of an unkillable monster...maybe those could randomly pop up and force us to retreat and try to complete the objective adding to the tension.

Indeed...also to add to the danger someone had an idea of an unkillable monster...maybe those could randomly pop up and force us to retreat and try to complete the objective adding to the tension.

If it could work well it would be pretty badass, anything to add tension and make the mission seem even more dangerous. Also, maybe that unkillable monster is why we have to destroy the ship in the first place. It would be difficult to implement though, especially since the unkillable monster dealio was intended (if I remember correctly) to be more or less random, like when you get to a certain spot in a raid mission on an infested level all the sudden Lotus tells you to run and the objective becomes escape. Perhaps if the escape element was taken out (as in the original objective still exists) and the team just had to retreat from the monster whenever it showed up it would be more plausible.

And I had a thought while on the loo (as this is where my greatest brainstorming takes place), maybe the reason the timer goes down whenever we are hit is because the infested on board have been mutated by radiation (coming from irradiated cargo or some other source) and whenever we are hit by them the radiation they give off negatively affects our warframes(?)

Side note: would it be possible to do something that puts a small amount of time back on the clock? Maybe there are decontamination rooms we can activate that add like fifteen seconds or so (very sparsely located though, don't want to make it too easy). This would either make it way too easy or it could add a level of planning and teamwork as it's another variable to consider when on the mission.

If it could work well it would be pretty badass, anything to add tension and make the mission seem even more dangerous. Also, maybe that unkillable monster is why we have to destroy the ship in the first place. It would be difficult to implement though, especially since the unkillable monster dealio was intended (if I remember correctly) to be more or less random, like when you get to a certain spot in a raid mission on an infested level all the sudden Lotus tells you to run and the objective becomes escape. Perhaps if the escape element was taken out (as in the original objective still exists) and the team just had to retreat from the monster whenever it showed up it would be more plausible.

And I had a thought while on the loo (as this is where my greatest brainstorming takes place), maybe the reason the timer goes down whenever we are hit is because the infested on board have been mutated by radiation (coming from irradiated cargo or some other source) and whenever we are hit by them the radiation they give off negatively affects our warframes(?)

Side note: would it be possible to do something that puts a small amount of time back on the clock? Maybe there are decontamination rooms we can activate that add like fifteen seconds or so (very sparsely located though, don't want to make it too easy). This would either make it way too easy or it could add a level of planning and teamwork as it's another variable to consider when on the mission.

1) Yes it could possibly change to an escape mission...but if someone really wanted to the old objective would stay(the new one being a different colour) and one member could go back and retrieve the artifact there...if they were successful you'd get bonus EXP and Credits and maybe a chance at a rare item(maybe around 2% for something very good). Your friends would have the ability to extract early and then they would now be camera'd onto you and see your progress and root for you as you take the biggest risk for the team.

2)I like that idea...the infested become overpowered and all of them might be able to drain your health like a Toxic but only less severe...they might also get new animations and become even more mutated than before.

3) Maybe sitting in elevators could offer decontaminating affects and give a small buff. Or shoot airlocks to try and get someone of the infestation out of the ship.

Maybe having a Trinity along and temporarily purge us and heal us and give a small resistance buff.

Edited by Ystella

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

It would also be an incentive for people to get the Trinity warframe, which I've seen maybe three or four times in 75 hours.

By the way, is anyone else excited about this? I'm excited about this.

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

It would also be an incentive for people to get the Trinity warframe, which I've seen maybe three or four times in 75 hours.

By the way, is anyone else excited about this? I'm excited about this.

You're not the only one...this sounds incredibly scary and worth playing honestly.

If this were real...my word how I'd love to play this mode.

You're not the only one...this sounds incredibly scary and worth playing honestly.

If this were real...my word how I'd love to play this mode.

But to make it scary there needs to be a good reason for going on the ship in the first place.

My idea which is very very open to suggestion: The ship contains radioactive cargo that has mutated the infested on board, and it is bound for a populated Lotus base (or something). It is up to the Tenno to fight their way through the radioactive infested and destroy/reroute the ship before it is too late; however, because of the nature of the mutated infested every time you are hit you become increasingly vulnerable and so the amount of time that you have before succumbing to your wounds and the mission failing decreases until you are either too wounded to stop the ship or too late to alter its course.

Thoughts?

By the way, I'd love to get Securitywyrm's thoughts on all this so he/she doesn't feel like we've commandeered his post lol

But to make it scary there needs to be a good reason for going on the ship in the first place.

My idea which is very very open to suggestion: The ship contains radioactive cargo that has mutated the infested on board, and it is bound for a populated Lotus base (or something). It is up to the Tenno to fight their way through the radioactive infested and destroy/reroute the ship before it is too late; however, because of the nature of the mutated infested every time you are hit you become increasingly vulnerable and so the amount of time that you have before succumbing to your wounds and the mission failing decreases until you are either too wounded to stop the ship or too late to alter its course.

Thoughts?

By the way, I'd love to get Securitywyrm's thoughts on all this so he/she doesn't feel like we've commandeered his post lol

I actually like that idea...it gives a sense of,"We better not mess this up or we are going to lose everything", kind of feeling.

It would also add to make Lotus sound like she is trying to fight back anxiety as this ship is plummeting for their headquarters.

Like she is trying to remain calm and professional and she does but...we can all feel the urgency in her voice as we do our best to literally save everyone.

I actually like that idea...it gives a sense of,"We better not mess this up or we are going to lose everything", kind of feeling.

It would also add to make Lotus sound like she is trying to fight back anxiety as this ship is plummeting for their headquarters.

Like she is trying to remain calm and professional and she does but...we can all feel the urgency in her voice as we do our best to literally save everyone.

It's that urgency that I think would make this mission sink or swim. If it feels tense and difficult then it'll be a hit, but if it feels boring and meaningless then it'll be shut down.

Could be fun, but it sounds like it actually might be freaking hard.

lol I'll take that as a compliment! I think something being freaking hard is what a lot of players need since so many people have maxed out their warframes and weapons.

How's that?

Toxic Ancients farted too much.  Thus contaminating the ship.  The Corpus/Grineer discover this and send it on a collision course towards a Tenno operated base/dojo/Tenno supporting population.  You have to stop it because if allowed to crash, it will not only destroy the base/city, the toxic farts will remain for a long time thus rendering any rescue attempts for survivors impossible.  Could also use what someone else recommended with the super strong infested unit that is unable to be killed by any known method.  Could be a Corpus experiment on a captured infested unit, or a Grineer cloning experiment to create better soldiers which became infested.  Just my ideas!