Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fps Lag After Playing For Little While.

Sithalo

Question

Ive had settings turned down to very low for a long time used to i could play with little lag even while recording. But now after a little while the fps just drops so low. it started around 40-60fps and will drop to around 10ish normally after just a short while playing. I discoverd my computer has SLI so i turned that on and my frame rate jumped into over 100 at start between 100-200 even with settings turned up but still as I go on the game starts to lag out dropping back down to 10ish still.

Someone said it cache backing up but i dont know how to fix that. I ran the cache optimization in the launcher but it still lags like crazy the same after a little bit. 

Ive ran with settings on high, with settings on low, with settings mixed, with DX10 and 11 on. with DX 11 on only, with DX 10 on only, with both off. with multi threaded rending on and off no matter what i do though it still lags after just a short while of playing.

I was trying to record the arcane codexs mission and quit the mission because my i kept not hitting record right... so i started it with most graphics set up except things that have a low, medium, high setting and with aa and filtering off as well as character shadows.

i was getting the 100-200 fps when i  restarted the game back up and i started the mission back up and before i even reached the first datavault the fps started to drop and by the time i got there i was getting around 10 fps. 

This is one of my favriot games and its harder to enjoy it because defense missions especially against infested cause so much lag that i didnt get before.

any advice? i have 16 gigs ram and 2 nvidia gtx geforce 550 tis running sli together

i have most my nvidia configure settings for maximum performance and it still went down to 20fpsish which isnt normally bad but it was bouncing around

14 answers to this question

You can download GPU-z (by the same people of CPU-z), and it can monitor the gpu integrated in your cpu, and the dedicated gpu.Thermal paste is a goo that allows efficient flow of heat off of your cpu, and onto the heat sink, which is a couple of metal tubes that make a path to a part in the computer where the fans blow on them to cool them off. So basically it draws heat off of your cpu and gpu and moves it away. Sometimes the thermal past provided by manufacturers is low quality or poorly applied, but again, your temps are great, so you likely don't have cooling issues, though definitely check you gpu with GPU-z as well.

got it will keep the GPU-Z and CPU-Z in mind. going to upgrade my computer soon and to save money its not going to have the fancy touch, fan speed, tempature sense, thing mine currently has on it so ill have to go more by sound of my fans over what it would read.

Then again i plan on having anti vibrational foam and stuff so bummer. 

The Fan choice has had me worried. I dont want to choose a fan that will be incompetent at keeping the computer cool but i figure cyperpower wouldnt provide the fans in the configuring if it would do a bad job at keeping the computer cool...

thanks for the help i guess this question is closed now, thank you all so much, byezbye take care goodluck in the system stay safe :)

Edited by Sithalo

This may help you. If you haven't tried it already. Above your post de drew has the tips post. Click on that. Look for the performance link and follow the directions. That helped a friends performance a lot.

Edited by .Castor.

^this

also i'd look into throttling. if it's slowing down and not starting off bad then your resources are being eaten up during gameplay. potentially it's your GPU/CPU getting hot and throttling back, what OS do you use? it can also be a RAM issue but with 16G even getting stuck in a cache loop you shouldn't see that much of a hit.

Use a program like CPU-Z to check your CPU clock rate when you have normal speeds and compare it when you have slow speeds.

Your computer may be throttling itself due to heat.

EDIT: Should have refreshed responses before posting...

Edited by Rydian

This may help you. If you haven't tried it already. Above your post de drew has the tips post. Click on that. Look for the performance link and follow the directions. That helped a friends performance a lot.

i unpacked my gpu cores but im not sure how much help that did. After lookin around at other places someone showed they set their performance power thing (idr exactly what it was) to 50% min, mine was at 5%. I set it to 100 and quickly got a blue screen lol. I set it to 50 and played now and then but earlyer i got another blue screen for the same reason of some timeout thing.  I read about how games that are running at a super high amount of fps is pretty much just wasting processing so i turned on Vsync and some Vsync settings in Nvidia Control Panel.

It didnt help but did but not in very good way...

Before i would stand on my liset with 200ish fps and that number would slowly go down over time to the regular 7-10ish.  it goe sdown quicker when i do something like check mods or upgrade or hack a console.

after i did that i stood in my liset after starting game doing nothingn and it stayed at 60 but after i went to upgrades it started to lag down and not really go back up. then i changed the nv control panel vsync setting to on which is more performance than on (smooth) and the fps was more stable even in windows like upgrades and mods. i went back to my control area and it went back up to 60. but when i did a mercury exterminate the fps very quickly dropped down to its low amount and didnt go back up and then i got blue screen before i could find the target. 

^this

also i'd look into throttling. if it's slowing down and not starting off bad then your resources are being eaten up during gameplay. potentially it's your GPU/CPU getting hot and throttling back, what OS do you use? it can also be a RAM issue but with 16G even getting stuck in a cache loop you shouldn't see that much of a hit.

Windows 7. I dont understand whats wrong.

Ive ran malware scans, Ive turned all settings in game down, ive checked and unchecked multiple settings on launcher, my computer is running with visual options set for performance not looks, Ive ran it with razer game booster, ive defraged my harddrive, cleared up unused files, ran defrag on warframe with razer booster, i have 60gigs left from recording but i dont think this is a space problem (well space ninja problem).

i did not really have this problem until a number of updates ago but im not sure which. but after some update between october-december my fps has sufferd sevearly but i was on and off at the time so i didnt really think much of it. 

Use a program like CPU-Z to check your CPU clock rate when you have normal speeds and compare it when you have slow speeds.

^ - Do this and tell/show us.

did couple missions and it stayed at 60fps but when i went to relay it became very laggy and when i went back to liset it stayed laggy.

i tryed to test this Cpu-Z and while the frame rate flucuated it was more stable than regular.

after just starting game the clock speed was jumping around from 2095-2793.33

low speeds was 798.10

it was hard to get bad reading because the game while lagging baddly would stay higher than usualish i went to relay and back to liset a few times but it never really stayed down down like it has. i went to defense in dark sector and ran a couple of missions and even pvp. it kept going back up but when it was at its low points it would read as 798.10. id guess when its lagging like crazy its going from798.10-not 2000s

considering how bad it gets but i couldnt really see 

looked up how to disable throttleing. I already had one power settings the way they where shown. but the other website i opened on throttling said for some computers they may also need to restart computer and go to bios management and look for something relating to cpu speed and disable it.

i did that and played a lil bit more. another pvp and another couple captures and a visit to the relay. idk if it works works yet because i need a break but it ran smootherish during them.

When i got back to my liset all the times it would go back to 60fps i think. there was lag in pvp and relay but i guess those are to be expected. In mission there was lag to but i think it would start out ok with regular fps and as the mission went on it would start to lag. I noticed a large drop during one mission when i started hydriods first ability and the fps went down and didnt recover during the mission.

After i got back to liset the fps went back to normal and during the mission the fps didnt drop down to like 7-10 it stayed more around 20 i think it was more playable but it was still annoying to have it drop down so low and not go back up. Its like enter a new room, use ability, hack console, and fps starts to go down and not go back up, until (if things stay workin as now) i get back to liset then the fps resets to 60.

Im hoping things are back to normal but ill have to play a number of things over and over later and find out if it resets more often than not and how bad the fps drops in missions.

If it does work then thank for the help and ill mark the topic as solved. If not well... Maybe Ordis can run a diagnostic for me... or hopefully something we do will fix it. 

Edited by Sithalo

looked up how to disable throttleing.

NO NO NO NO NO!

Throttling is an important thing in this case because it prevents your computer from damaging itself with too much heat, the throttling is a symptom of an overheating problem.

You should get your computer physically cleaned out so that it stops needing to throttle itself to reduce temperatures back to safe levels.

ik what throttling is and ik what it does. ill have to clean it out tomarow or something. 

one thing ik is that games never ran smoother than now. minecraft runs way way way better, skyrim runs way better (still cant turn fast in some places), warframe runs way better id say even better than when it was running good few months back.

been forgetting to come back sorry lol.

I opened computer that night and cleaned out its insides. messy messy messy.

After it started back up i went back into its bios startup settings and i think i turned the cpu settings back to normal.

I forgot to check my cpu fan speed and cpu tempature on my lil tempature window thing my computer has but now when running warframe and minecraft it still runs smooth and the temp on it hasnt gone to 50.  I think the highest i seen it was around 47 or 48. 

for future refrence what tempature would be starting to get dangurus for a cpu? is 50 to hot or does is more like 60ish where should worry?

for future refrence what tempature would be starting to get dangurus for a cpu? is 50 to hot or does is more like 60ish where should worry?

Really depends on the CPU, the info is usually provided by the manufacturer. Those temps are very good, but make sure you look at both cpu and gpu temps, as they can differ. my cpu: intel i7-470HQ is supposedly able to be ok up to 100 deg. C, but ideally, you don't want to venture too deep into 70 deg. C. 70's are ok when gaming, but you shouldn't run it forever at 77+, even though the processor may be able to handle it. My cpu usually gets up to 65 with warframe on max. If you ever are getting really high temps, evaluate your cooling system, and also consider checking/ replacing the thermal paste on your heat sink.

Edited by curtisngl

Really depends on the CPU, the info is usually provided by the manufacturer. Those temps are very good, but make sure you look at both cpu and gpu temps, as they can differ. my cpu: intel i7-470HQ is supposedly able to be ok up to 100 deg. C, but ideally, you don't want to venture too deep into 70 deg. C. 70's are ok when gaming, but you shouldn't run it forever at 77+, even though the processor may be able to handle it. My cpu usually gets up to 65 with warframe on max. If you ever are getting really high temps, evaluate your cooling system, and also consider checking/ replacing the thermal paste on your heat sink.

saddly i do not have a gpu tempature gauge on the thing.

have cpu, hdd, sys, and vga.  Unless sys is gpu maybe.

thanks for the info ill try to remember that and if all else ill have this topic to go back to.

now weather or not my cpu's throttling is off or on ( i think i turned it back on ) the game, and others, is running smoothly, the computer has been cleaned out inside, its temp is normally hanging around 47 and it was a pretty good computer from a few years ago so can probably go up to atleast 60 with little trouble (not that i should let it), and i have valuable information for future refrence in a easy to access location that should hopefully last until the end of time (warframe never die ever ever) 

also i had no idea thermal paste was a thing and im not even sure if i have a heat sink but i guess i must lol.

ive debated liquid cooling but for me its to much of a risk although its still up for debate in my next computer weather to get liquid of just fans. 

will probably go with fans its safer for me lol. 

thanks for all the help everyone. i will leave this topic open for a couple more days incase of any extra information about computer saftey tips on something and to say our goodbyes and thank yous and welcomes lol. After those few days ill mark it as solved

thanks everyone. 

Stay safe in the void, weather its the void of space or the void of void.

You can download GPU-z (by the same people of CPU-z), and it can monitor the gpu integrated in your cpu, and the dedicated gpu.Thermal paste is a goo that allows efficient flow of heat off of your cpu, and onto the heat sink, which is a couple of metal tubes that make a path to a part in the computer where the fans blow on them to cool them off. So basically it draws heat off of your cpu and gpu and moves it away. Sometimes the thermal past provided by manufacturers is low quality or poorly applied, but again, your temps are great, so you likely don't have cooling issues, though definitely check you gpu with GPU-z as well.