Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strangely Low Performance On Warframe?

GrumpyPigeon

Hey guys!

I've never really reported my bad warframe performance since I thought it was similar to other peoples, however after finding out that one of my clan members plays the game on a GTS250 maxed at 40-50 FPS, I realized something was very wrong.

For example, doing kappa runs on sedna-my framerate consistently will drop to 30-20 whilst usually hovering around 40 at seemingly random intervals, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with how many enemies are on screen and so forth. The weirdest thing? My warframe performance is pretty much the same no matter what settings it's on.

Actually, I've noticed that turning everything to max settings seems to even improve the frame rate and stops it dropping to some degree, very strange.

I thought it may be a performance issue with my card or processor, but every other game runs exactly the way it did my PC was originally built, some of which being incredibly graphically intensive-so I'm at a loss to be honest as to why I can't seem to get decent performance on Warframe!

My setup is :

CPU : i5 2500k

Video Card : Nvidia 560Ti

RAM : 8GB of Corsair RAM (cant remember the speed off of the top of my head)

HDD: OCZ 250 GB SSD

I can't remember my exact specs for my motherboard and PSU, but I promise you that they are not a bottlenecking problem or anything of the sort. I've also tried turning DX11 off and on with no real difference, also vsync.

Thanks for any help in advance!

EDIT: Realised I have 8 gigs instead of 6, my bad!

Edited by GrumpyPigeon

Did you disable the Windows core paging? It could put a load on your CPU, leading to less resource for Warframe.

With 6GB of RAM, it would be wasteful to keep the core paging, as that would make an increased hard-disk load, and worse, shortening your SSD lifetime. You should disabled it.

[if you don't know how, open regedit, and search "DisablePagingExecutive", without the " of course. Change the value to 1.]

Did you disable the Windows core paging? It could put a load on your CPU, leading to less resource for Warframe.

With 6GB of RAM, it would be wasteful to keep the core paging, as that would make an increased hard-disk load, and worse, shortening your SSD lifetime. You should disabled it.

[if you don't know how, open regedit, and search "DisablePagingExecutive", without the " of course. Change the value to 1.]

Nice learned something new here, will put this in my topic with tools and tricks.

got any more wisdom to share?

Edited by GrandMasterV

Nice learned something new here, will put this in my topic with tools and tricks.

got any more wisdom to share?

Ummm... I guess maybe the steps that you might already know, like killing some useless Windows services, crappy startup programs, uninstalling bloatwares, cleaning registry and unneeded files, reducing the network QoS... Which ones you don't know?

Ummm... I guess maybe the steps that you might already know, like killing some useless Windows services, crappy startup programs, uninstalling bloatwares, cleaning registry and unneeded files, reducing the network QoS... Which ones you don't know?

Here is the topic: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/39103-tools-tricks-keeping-your-rig-running-smoothly/

QoS i might need to do some freshing up for.

Reg cleaner i use, clean my hd regularly, tweaked my hardware components(CPU/GPU/RAM) etc.

But there might be more, the endless pursuit of moarr fps!

I've edited this and I don't think it's really helped, but thankyou for the advice and I'm sure it'll help me in the long run! :)

in the nvidia panel set:

Let the 3D aplication decide.

also in the advanced settings exist an option to allow yo manage the vsync from there, try with smooth and tellme if that improve the perfomance dude...

It seems that the appication is already set to let the 3D application decide. But thanks for an incredibly speedy reply! :)

So essentially the problem still persists, I also have up to date graphics drivers but that didn't help either. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I've edited this and I don't think it's really helped, but thankyou for the advice and I'm sure it'll help me in the long run! :)

It seems that the appication is already set to let the 3D application decide. But thanks for an incredibly speedy reply! :)

So essentially the problem still persists, I also have up to date graphics drivers but that didn't help either. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

did you tried the smooth option in the vsync, that maybe can cap the fps to 30 and make it more stable. visually.

Edited by Frenrihr89

did you tried the smooth option in the vsync, that maybe can cap the fps to 30 and make it more stable. visually.

Whilst I do appreciate the sentiment (genuinely, thankyou!) the reason I got this rig was to play modern video games at 60FPS in the first place, I'm one of those people that genuinely have a lot of trouble enjoying a game if it runs badly/with a 25-30FPS cap, whilst it probably would help make it smoother, having a consistently sub-par framerate isn't the fix I was looking for.

It's just odd that no matter what settings the frame rate is still very bad, it's not like a i5 2500k should struggle with a game like this even when not hosting surely!

Whilst I do appreciate the sentiment (genuinely, thankyou!) the reason I got this rig was to play modern video games at 60FPS in the first place, I'm one of those people that genuinely have a lot of trouble enjoying a game if it runs badly/with a 25-30FPS cap, whilst it probably would help make it smoother, having a consistently sub-par framerate isn't the fix I was looking for.

It's just odd that no matter what settings the frame rate is still very bad, it's not like a i5 2500k should struggle with a game like this even when not hosting surely!

That would be correct, however in my previous post i linked some tweaks and tools in a topic those might be useful.

Also consider if you have a high frame rate the game has more room to throttle through what makes it smoother.

Only downside is power(watt) consumption, as your monitor only can refresh at 60mhz or 120 mhz anything more then that is just making your GPU work.

Edited by GrandMasterV

That would be correct, however in my previous post i linked some tweaks and tools in a topic those might be useful.

Also consider if you have a high frame rate the game has more room to throttle through what makes it smoother.

Only downside is power(watt) consumption, as your monitor only can refresh at 60mhz or 120 mhz anything more then that is just making your GPU work.

I had a look at the tools and I've kept an eye on my temps all throughout the process and they don't seem to be the problem, I consistently maintain my PC and I don't believe that that is the problem either, but thankyou for the helpful advice.

Also I didn't really understand what you meant about frame rate, I've tried it without vsync and the problem is the same and the framerate sadly is still consistently low. Can you elaborate please? Many thanks!

I had a look at the tools and I've kept an eye on my temps all throughout the process and they don't seem to be the problem, I consistently maintain my PC and I don't believe that that is the problem either, but thankyou for the helpful advice.

Also I didn't really understand what you meant about frame rate, I've tried it without vsync and the problem is the same and the framerate sadly is still consistently low. Can you elaborate please? Many thanks!

V-Sync = locking your frame rate output by the GPU to the Hertz of your monitor(s), the refresh rate of your monitor.

Most monitors are 60 Hertz or lower, some are 120 hertz those are more expensive but real gaming gear.

It conserve power since you can have 1000 fps but it can only show you 60 fps, the 60 hertz refresh rate.

However If you have more fps the range of throttle is greater thus smoother, 

A drop from 200 to 60 is smoother then from 60 to 20(FPS), since your monitor refreshes at 60 hertz/fps.

V-Sync is for gaming pointless any other PC app works great and saves you power.

Your card is a pretty good one supports DX11 and Physx.

Terms of performance it comes close to my card(ASUS GTX 660 OC II)

So we can safely say your card is not the problem and the client might also not be to blame.

Download: http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/geforce-experience

Make sure you got the correct drivers, 

Use 3DP Chip and make sure your Intel CPU and support drivers are also up to date.

Intel website does have little tool that can help you find the right drivers.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Normal FPS ranged between 40-60 fps.

Edited by GrandMasterV

Download: http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/geforce-experience

Make sure you got the correct drivers, 

Use 3DP Chip and make sure your Intel CPU and support drivers are also up to date.

Intel website does have little tool that can help you find the right drivers.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Normal FPS ranged between 40-60 fps.

Thanks for the explanation-sadly I think we misunderstood each other since I know about the manner in which V-Sync works. :)

Also I've downloaded both tools and my drivers seem to be up to date (I say that, the 3DP program wants me to install 2006 era server stability drivers, but I don't think I can trust that) and that seems to be about it.

I'm a bit worried about such bad performance still, it really doesn't seem to make a difference if everything is on ultra low and non DX11, or ultra high and DX11.

Thanks again for being incredibly patient and helpful. :)

Thanks for the explanation-sadly I think we misunderstood each other since I know about the manner in which V-Sync works. :)

Also I've downloaded both tools and my drivers seem to be up to date (I say that, the 3DP program wants me to install 2006 era server stability drivers, but I don't think I can trust that) and that seems to be about it.

I'm a bit worried about such bad performance still, it really doesn't seem to make a difference if everything is on ultra low and non DX11, or ultra high and DX11.

Thanks again for being incredibly patient and helpful. :)

Consider tweaking your hardware a bit, should provide a better fps.

Also make sure that if you run warframe your shortcuts link to warframe.64.exe

Should be located in the main warframe dir.

3DP chip is a good tool but yes no need for server upgrades.

Not a perfect tool does require some insight

Edited by GrandMasterV

This sounds similar to the framerate issues several people have reported intermittently. Seems like framerates can dip regardless of hardware -- I've seen it myself here and there with an i5 3570K@4.2Ghz + Radeon HD 7950@1100/1400. Last I heard on the subject was that DE were investigating possible causes. Point is, it may have nothing at all to do with your configuration, which sounds plenty capable.

If you'd like, you can submit a support ticket with your dxdiag, and perhaps EE.log (following a session in which you experienced this problem) and see if the kindly folks at the support desk have any recommendations for improving performance. If nothing else, it will give them another data point to help in narrowing down performance problems in the software.

By looking at the problem(s) it seems there is a bottleneck.

Only by having a high end system you can overcome this, since your pc has some much processing power to work with.

But still i5 CPU or GeForce 580Ti is good stuff so it must be something in the code, how translate 1's and 0's to visual output.

Something between the server and client interaction is not running optimal this is where i would look.

Client translates data received from the server in visual data and your user interface

The server just passes data, stores or passes on data.

Small comment on the side, it is possible to install a extra GPU not using SLI/CrossFire for PhysX.
You can use a dedicated physx cpu with crossfire, 2 way sli or even 3 way sli.
http://physxinfo.com/wiki/Configuration_types
Paired up my GTX 660 DCII with a GT 630 for PhysX
WarFrame is actually one of not so many games with proper hardware physx, in development though on the site.
If you got a small budget a DX11 card should help to improve performance, make sure it can support physx and the right DirectX.

And your mobo needs to support the card as well, PCI Express 2.0 and enough watt from your power supply

Edited by GrandMasterV

This sounds similar to the framerate issues several people have reported intermittently. Seems like framerates can dip regardless of hardware -- I've seen it myself here and there with an i5 3570K@4.2Ghz + Radeon HD 7950@1100/1400. Last I heard on the subject was that DE were investigating possible causes. Point is, it may have nothing at all to do with your configuration, which sounds plenty capable.

If you'd like, you can submit a support ticket with your dxdiag, and perhaps EE.log (following a session in which you experienced this problem) and see if the kindly folks at the support desk have any recommendations for improving performance. If nothing else, it will give them another data point to help in narrowing down performance problems in the software.

That sounds like a good idea, I'll probably be putting a ticket in for this issue very soon. Thankyou. :)

I'm running the exact same rig as you except 8gbs of RAM and I'm having the same issues. Changing the graphics settings does not seem to help the fps dips. Please update this thread if you find out anything more, thanks!

I just realised that I do actually have 8GB of RAM installed and I just misread it. Doh! I built the computer myself last year. For shame that I manage to forget it's specs already! I really hope we figure out a fix soon. :)

By looking at the problem(s) it seems there is a bottleneck.

Only by having a high end system you can overcome this, since your pc has some much processing power to work with.

But still i5 CPU or GeForce 580Ti is good stuff so it must be something in the code, how translate 1's and 0's to visual output.

Something between the server and client interaction is not running optimal this is where i would look.

Client translates data received from the server in visual data and your user interface

The server just passes data, stores or passes on data.

I really doubt that there is a bottleneck on a machine that manages to run games like Far Cry 3 on high settings without a problem. I can promise you there is no obvious hardware bottleneck in sight, my RAM, GPU, CPU, PSU and SSD are all operating fine and I've been very careful to check the issue. :)

Small comment on the side, it is possible to install a extra GPU not using SLI/CrossFire for PhysX.

You can use a dedicated physx cpu with crossfire, 2 way sli or even 3 way sli.

http://physxinfo.com/wiki/Configuration_types

Paired up my GTX 660 DCII with a GT 630 for PhysX

WarFrame is actually one of not so many games with proper hardware physx, in development though on the site.

If you got a small budget a DX11 card should help to improve performance, make sure it can support physx and the right DirectX.

And your mobo needs to support the card as well, PCI Express 2.0 and enough watt from your power supply

Like I said, I have turned PhsyX off, I've turned it on, I've turned everything off and on and missions still start lagging in the exact same way no matter what settings inside or outside the game. But thankyou for the advice. :)

This is a very bad idea, as windows is designed to page drivers and the kernel to the hardrive when not being used, what you are suggesting actually forces the system to use MORE resources that would be better utilised by your game. This may have been sound advice in the early days of windows, but not now, modern versions of the OS utilise more files and a far larger kernel than in the past and is the reason that the minimum recommended memory has increased.

The overhead for disk paging is miniscule and far better than earlier versions and should not cause any problems with performance. The only time any system will be impacted is when it is already short on resources and it has to page information required by your active program.

If you wish to get the most from your system as far as the pagefile is concerned, set it on a partition or preferably a separate drive to that which stores your system and game files, and set a fixed size for the page file so that it never becomes fragmented (as a special system file it will remain in a fixed position on your hardrive).

This is a very bad idea, as windows is designed to page drivers and the kernel to the hardrive when not being used, what you are suggesting actually forces the system to use MORE resources that would be better utilised by your game. This may have been sound advice in the early days of windows, but not now, modern versions of the OS utilise more files and a far larger kernel than in the past and is the reason that the minimum recommended memory has increased.

The overhead for disk paging is miniscule and far better than earlier versions and should not cause any problems with performance. The only time any system will be impacted is when it is already short on resources and it has to page information required by your active program.

If you wish to get the most from your system as far as the pagefile is concerned, set it on a partition or preferably a separate drive to that which stores your system and game files, and set a fixed size for the page file so that it never becomes fragmented (as a special system file it will remain in a fixed position on your hardrive).

It is actually faster when you have large amount of RAM, portion of your kernel stays in the RAM.

Make it faster in executing command and code, however some kernel is disk bound.

But i do use 16GB of RAM, and i would not recommend it below 4GB of RAM.

It is actually faster when you have large amount of RAM, portion of your kernel stays in the RAM.

Make it faster in executing command and code, however some kernel is disk bound.

But i do use 16GB of RAM, and i would not recommend it below 4GB of RAM.

Disabling the pagefile wont make anything run faster at alI, I am afraid that's just nonsense and another internet myth, and can hamper performance in some systems, as it forces windows to retain more of the kernel in memory.The over head for managing the page file even when utilised is miniscule, and certainly will not be noticeable by any gamer as its impact is not significant enough.

However, disabling the page file minimises the workable memory available to the OS, even with 32 gig I can run out when working on even moderate projects in maya, without the page file, the OS would force it to close down. There are also many applications that will behave erratically without a page file such as graphics programs designed to handle larger projects, many disk defragmenters will not run without one. Should any application crash and windows not have enough memory to write and save out a crashdump, it will close everything down, write the dump file then restart. A process most gamers have experienced, even if they didn't understand why windows restarted without a bluescreen crash.

There are other reasons for not disabling the pagfile but they are well beyond the scope of the forum, if you are interested staring here is as good as anywhere http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx

The only time you are likely to see any kind performance benefit is during access to minimised applications, as windows pages their data out to maintain memory for the active program, disabling the page file forces windows to keep their data in memory, that is, until it runs out of memory, then it starts forcing minimised programs to shut down.

Edited by HexCaliber

Disabling the pagefile wont make anything run faster at alI, I am afraid that's just nonsense and another internet myth, and can hamper performance in some systems, as it forces windows to retain more of the kernel in memory.The over head for managing the page file even when utilised is miniscule, and certainly will not be noticeable by any gamer as its impact is not significant enough.

However, disabling the page file minimises the workable memory available to the OS, even with 32 gig I can run out when working on even moderate projects in maya, without the page file, the OS would force it to close down. There are also many applications that will behave erratically without a page file such as graphics programs designed to handle larger projects, many disk defragmenters will not run without one. Should any application crash and windows not have enough memory to write and save out a crashdump, it will close everything down, write the dump file then restart. A process most gamers have experienced, even if they didn't understand why windows restarted without a bluescreen crash.

There are other reasons for not disabling the pagfile but they are well beyond the scope of the forum, if you are interested staring here is as good as anywhere http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx

The only time you are likely to see any kind performance benefit is during access to minimised applications, as windows pages their data out to maintain memory for the active program, disabling the page file forces windows to keep their data in memory, that is, until it runs out of memory, then it starts forcing minimised programs to shut down.

I mainly use Prime95 to torture test my rig.

But yes i need to take into account the fact i can not run out of RAM, i use PS and some 3D programs as well.

I did notice improved performance on my own rig and there are pro's and con's.

Windows basic settings are set for the best life span and easy to use factor.

Unless you got some experience it would not be smart, and i am pondering over the fact that with PS etc i might need to turn it back on.