Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion For A More Fluid Combat System

nekrojiji

I find that the "gun and blade" credo of the tenno is not very well depicted in our current fighting style.

So we have a ranged only combat stance and a melee only combat stance.

The problem is that while we use the ranged stance we can only effectively use the melee for coptering and while we use the melee only stance we have no way of quickly shooting one very important enemy at long range.

Why do we have separate ranged and melee only stances?!

My suggestion goes like this:

Before I say anything I have to mention that the controlls will have to suffer some changes, but not too different from what, I think, many of the players allready use.

that being said ..... we would only use F(default) to change between Primary and Secondary.

In the middle of combat, if we continuously tap E(for quick melee attacks) for a, let's say, 1 second period, we would automaticly enter the melee only mode of combat. In this mode we would be able to parry, channel and use melee combos. In this mode the "left mouse button" (default) would have no melee combat function.

The instant we would press "left mouse button" (default) the frame would sheath the melee weapons and start using the primary or secondary ranged weapon - which can be selected by taping F(default) - 

This would make changing from ranged to melee and the other way around much smoother, without loosing too much DPS.

edit.... some additions:

The change from ranged mode to melee mode can also be accompanied by a visual que(i.e. a channel like glow) so we know when to stop tapping E like a madman and start doing combos.

Edited by nekrojiji

Although I've always secrectly wished for a "quick fire" option (restricted to secondaries) while in melee mode, this also sounds like a good alternative. A bit more complicated, but good.

I like your alternative better, a quick fire restricted to secoundaries

It would help the gun and blade concept mightily if we could equip one gun and a one handed melee at the same time.  Left mouse button would fire the gun and right mouse button would block with melee.  The two buttons do not operate at the same time so it would not be possible to block and shoot at the same time.  Aiming in would be traded for blocking.  Dual secondaries would not function with this nor dual melee.  It would give purpose to a lot of overlooked weapons and increase the variety of actions available to the players and make good on DE's gun and blade claims.

This idea would not be incompatible with the OP because the OP is activated via other means.

I havent played  Warhammer ...... but that suggestion comes after 2 years of clunky weapon change in Warframe.....

quoting Bruce Lee ''Be water, my friend" ..... our weapons and warframe must combine effortlessly to create an omogen wave of destruction against our enemies.

Edited by nekrojiji

• 2 months later...

It would help the gun and blade concept mightily if we could equip one gun and a one handed melee at the same time.  Left mouse button would fire the gun and right mouse button would block with melee.  The two buttons do not operate at the same time so it would not be possible to block and shoot at the same time.  Aiming in would be traded for blocking.  Dual secondaries would not function with this nor dual melee.  It would give purpose to a lot of overlooked weapons and increase the variety of actions available to the players and make good on DE's gun and blade claims.

This idea would not be incompatible with the OP because the OP is activated via other means.

And they already did Gun&Glaive in Dark Sector, so... yes please! Would be a major project, though.

Dual Secondaries and Dual Melees should still work. You'd just only be using one of each. Ever carried a datamass with dual pistols? You appear to be using just one pistol. So it makes sense that you'd be able to use one of your dual swords and one of your dual pistols.

New animations would have to be made for this anyway, so the anims not matching regular use of dual swords wouldn't matter one bit.

Also, I'm of the opinion that the stats of dual pistols should be altered when using only one. Pick up a datamass and you still have doubled fire rate and magazine capacity, because you're using two pistols. Except that you're not. BUT YOU ARE. But you're not.

Also, it would be nice if it didn't take 3 years to switch weapons.

Before that, the transition between melee > gun and primary > secondary should be faster. Changing weapons as it is right now is pretty slow, that's why players rarely change it on the fly.

I'd really like to see that one aura (you know the one) dropped from the game and our weapon swapping speeds just improved in general. Switching weapons is a painfully long processes. 

That aside, I really really like the idea of being able to do a quick shot with my side-arm if I have a melee weapon equipped. A 'Sword & Gun' stance for single-handed longswords might also be really cool, although it would take quite a bit of a set-up to do. Can't tell me DE hasn't at least thought about it though.