Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Coming Soon: Devstream #49!

[DE]Megan

First question:

Why did you break my heart by making the seahorse helm an alt helm? :'(

Second question:

I appreciate the new effects on Ignis/Embolist, but have you considered doing a full visual "flamethrower" overhaul so Ignis feels like it projects a stream of hot napalm rather than a fine mist of irritant? Any thoughts on buffs for the Embolist and Ignis?

Third question:

"Buff shotguns" is a recurring theme in the weapons feedback forum. Any thoughts on where shotguns stand power-wise? Has the team considered removing or greatly reducing damage falloff? Having combo'ed Volt's shield with various shotguns, it definitely feels like shotguns would not be OP with no falloff.

Edited by ArbitUHM

Okay finally a Devstream where many questions will be answered. Hopefully some of which I am writing down below:

1. Sentinels: The development cycle for the sentinels were halted post-Wyrm Prime and Wyrmius and since then there has been only some stray comments about our Mechanical Angels of Death. Are we going to see some improvements for them ? Specialized Auras for them ? Augments from Syndicates ? New Primed Versions of them ? What are next in-line for these little helpers of Tenno ?

2. Invasions and Game modes: Invasions held great promise of a proxy-war endgame system. However Syndicates came in and filled that position, in a sense. Now the invasions offer some pitiful 25000 or 35000 credits or 2-3 Detonite Injectors and Fieldrons, which you can get from playing Normal missions quite easily. Are there any improvements inbound for this gamemode because the only time I feel compelled to help the Corpus/Grineer is when they give me Reactors or Catalysts. And not helping them or opposing them has pitiful consequences so I also can safely ignore them.

What are your plans for Invasions and also other game modes ? Which game mode is up for the facelift surgery in that DE 2.0 operating theater ?

so we all want an unlimited exterminate missions and we want more for arch wing.

so me and a mate come up with an idea that all exterminate missions must be in space or at least a lot of them i.e on a ship or asteroid base so arch wing can be used. 

so we join an exterminate mission "kill all the mans" but during the the killing someone or something is destroying the ship or base that you are on so the only means to get off is your ship or arch wing, now like survival and defence ext you get a choice would you like to move on to another ship or asteroid base and "kill all the mans" there for another reward or leave. But to move on you must use arch wing and fly through space, through enemy's and rubble and asteroids to get to the next base/ship, as you land on the next ship/base ordis calls back the arch wing.

Now what's cool is that you could use the same animation that was use to when you first get to use the arch wing in the quest mission, get pulled out the ship/base into space and ordis fires the arch wing to you 

this idea is both mine and my mate 2old4gamez

quote "kill all the mans" is from 2old4gamez

so who thinks this is good or not please we want to hear from you ?

Lets assume your doing a Corpus exterminate:

The general idea is that as you approach the end of the mission the ship you are on comes under attack. You are then given the option of extracting as normal or fighting your way to the attacking ship by use of Archwing and taking it out from inside as well.

Assuming you choose to fight on you'll need to board the attacking ship. This will defended by the usual horde of Archwing enemies, but enemies of both factions. (You didn't think a Corpus ship under fire from a Grineer ship wouldn't deploy it's own screen of defensive drones did you?)

Once the Archwing segment is completed you'll then be presented with another Exterminate mission, but this time against the other faction, and at a higher level.

Wash, rinse and repeat as the battle intensifies, hopping from ship to ship, or just 'kill all the mans' and back out with help from Ordis once the Exterminate is complete.

As ideas go this is still rough around the edges, but we think it has some potential.

Is there any plans to improve our current system in regards to specters? A feature introduced long ago which has seemingly been gathering dust in player inventories as updates have gone by. Are there any current plans in progress to make specters more attractive to players and to make specters more useful on the battlefield? This can also include fixing kinks such as Warframe specters equipment not using mods or Syndicate specters not following their owner despite syndicate allies being able to.

Update 16 is one of the most controversial updates to the date. Mostly because of all those unlisted and "unintended" changes like nerfing Excalibur's Radial Javelin or nerfing Kohm. The reason and nature of those changes still remain unclear to a large part of Warframe community, and a lot of people (myself included) think that they were completely unnecessary.

More so, you decided to change the way Radial Javelin functions even though community rejected this kind of change in the past (yes, I'm talking about "Vivergate" nerfs).

What was the reason behind making all those unlisted changes? I don't recall any players suggesting similar changes so I doubt this comes from player feedback.

I just want you to make things clear. Is it going to stay that way (meaning Excalibur will remain terrible as he is now and one of the most fun weapons in Warframe ever will become another generic and boring gun) or should we expect changes in near future?

Are you taking player feedback into consideration when making these changes?

Straight answers please, many people have lost trust to you already.

Adjusting the Tutorial

As a mentor for new players, I have seen how the introduction tutorial does not teach them as much as it should. Players do not learn some easier movement skills such as wall running, and some are even confused about the icons on the mini-map. The Guides of The Lotus are here to help new players, but what good does it do to have them stationed where new players don’t always go? New players do not know what a Relay is and some of them don’t bother going to it. The tutorial should be changed so that it not only teaches new players the striped down basics, but also introduces them to the community and puts them in a position where they know where to go to figure something out.

First: The Tutorial should end on a Relay. New Tenno do not know to visit the Relay to find groups or ask for help. Many skip by this and just keep running missions that they can’t complete without help. The Relays are there to help players meet up, learn, and join a syndicate. By having the last stage of the tutorial quest line lead them to the Relay, all new players will be in one place, making the guides job much easier. It would also introduce them to helpful players and other new Tenno who want a group.

Second: The Tutorial should teach new players how to make weapons. There are so many reviews and players opinions based on this game that state “This game is P2W because the only way to get items is by paying.” when we all know that is false. Players do not always notice the blueprints section of the market and believe that they need this real money currency to buy anything. By having a new player make a simple weapon, you help them to not leave them game early because a misconception of the payment model. (Personally I think that the weapons and weapon blueprints sections should be swapped so that the weapon blueprints are more visible and accessible than the plat market.)

Third: The Tutorial should tell new players about the Codex. The Codex is not only full of information on all the weapons and Warframes, but it also has articles on various aspects of the game that new players struggle with. It teaches about advanced movement such as coptering or aerial melee, modding, using the foundry, dark sectors, clans, damage calculation and elemental types, and melee. Also the Codex should have mini-tutorials. Similar to how Relays will include practice for mastery rank tests, the Codex should have miniature tests within it to teach players about some finer details of the game, such as a small parcor level to teach wall running, aerial melee, and coptering. With this new players will learn the game much faster and not feel so weak in comparison to the more experienced players they play with. Because the Codex is not introduced in the tutorial new players don’t always know about this resource and many become frustrated at not knowing something when the guide book is in their hands.

Fourth: The Tutorial should have a slightly larger selection of gear. Three frames are available, they fit the roles of a balanced player, caster, and support. But it is not the frame selection that limits players. An observation I have made from playing with new players, is that most new players (around 75%) chose the bow. And almost all of them regret it. One player imagined that it would function like a crossbow and have a high fire rate. A small testing phase for the weapons would also let players get a feel for the different weapons. As the tutorial is now the functionality of the weapons is not explained in depth enough for an educated decision. Your choice of primary weapons is a shotgun (rarely taken), an assault rifle (slightly more common), and a bow (taken because it looks unique). However the bow is a skill based weapon, you need to land every arrow and if possible kill 2 with every shot. New players without a good grasp of the game can become frustrated at this and some even use a sidearm more often than their bow. For players who want long range, the bow is the most reasonable choice but it is also the most difficult to use. Another mk1 weapon should be added for players who feel like they want to play more at a long range, but don’t want to hit every single shot, for example the mk1-latron. Also the bow should be noted as a high skill weapon players without a good grasp of shooter games don’t take it too quickly. While the bow can be fun, it is also very frustrating when none of the shots land and you blame the game for being too difficult. In addition, adding an extra mk1-melee such as the dual skana or galantine, would allow for players to feel that the game had content to suit their playstyle. Tenno have countless playstyles, by giving new players more options they can start to feel that the game is made for them, and that however they want to play, they will be accepted.

Fifth: The Tutorial should encourage teamwork and community. I have personal experience with this because I mentor new players, meaning I bring unranked gear to Mantle (The first mission available) and play with new Tenno. Many of them do not see the chat until I shout in caps, or they just ignore me and make me sadL. Even then, new players are quiet and very rarely respond. By including a part of the tutorial where a player MUST work together with another player by having them do simple tasks like having one defend the other as they hack, or use the chat to talk, would encourage teamwork and communication so that they are more responsive and willing to ask questions.

Sixth: (This is an idea that would make the tutorial more interesting and a larger hook for new players, implementation of this is not necessary but taking some ideas from it could improve the early game and encourage players to get stronger.) The Tutorial should include other NPC Tenno with various Warframes and weapons. This would be to showcase some of the unique and exciting gear in the game. Imagine Seeing a Frost shield allies from an incoming bombardment, an Ash dashing from target to target, a kubrow pinning down an enemy, Rhino charging into fire with a phage. The point would be to show off some of the amazing Warframes and gear available to players. It would be an incentive to keep playing for that amazing gun or cool Warframe. Now implementing this would be difficult but it would simply be AI with Warframe skins shooting and using some powers that would be scripted to happen at certain times, like when the player gets knocked down by this rocket, Frost runs over and shields them while they get up.  This would also make the new player feel a little bit more important to think not only that they were a Tenno, but that other Tenno risked so much to rescue them. This would also promote some community feeling, that the Tenno worked together and are there to help each other.

This list encompasses some of the things the tutorial fails to educate new Tenno on. Many players leave the game because they get frustrated at the controls, or can’t understand why they can’t beat this mission, or think that you need real money to do anything. The Guides of The Lotus are here to help but that does not mean DE should leave things as they are. The sooner the Tutorial is updated, the more Tenno will stay with us. We were all new players at a time, and we all have different experiences with how we learned the game. Whether it was a helpful player, dedication, or something else, we all stayed long enough to really enjoy this game. We should not rob new Tenno of this joy because they were unable to understand something simple. It is our duty as Tenno, to help each other, because we all need a hand sometimes.

What exactly causes unlisted changes to sneak into updates?

You have communicated that you really do not intentionally hide things, so I am wondering how exactly do they happen?

Is it problems with merging? Or keeping track of everything that's in the current update vs experiments vs planned future updates?

Q1. During the last Tenno Live you talked about giving each current mission sector (planets and moons), their own unique appearance like you did with Europa a while ago.

However are there any plans to create more mission sectors* with other gas giant moons (Io, Titan), dwarf planets or even artifical satelites like orbtial colonies?

*With that i mean a sector with multiple mission nodes.

Q2. Is there any reason which speaks against replacing the current Skana and Lato as starter weapon with MK-1 variants and buff the the regular version to around Heat Sword or Vasto level of damage?

The current starter weapon selection seems a bit inconsistent with both weapons in that sorry position.

Q3. How many people are currently working on the PvE weapon balance? Is it only Scott or is there an entire team working on that similar to PvP?

Q4.Has the idea of introducing a manual knockback recovery option, aka. "manual handspring", gone anywhere or have you dropped the concept for now?

I recently got the Handspring mod and it shows that the animation for such an option is allready in game.

Q5. Based on her design it looks like Mesa index finger and thumb are supposed to become fused to her Peacemaker to use them. However currently the pistols just float in mid air using the normal pistol animation.

Do you plan on actualy giving the Peacemakers the right animation anytime soon?

Q6. Seeing how Tenno can now run around with dual chainsaws at their wrists. Is there any chance the old Grineer Sawman could make a comeback with their palm mounted buzzsaws?

Perhaps giving the saws to the Flame Blades who could then finaly throw away those Provas they stole from the Corpus?

Edit:

Q7. What was the motivation for making Archwing being attachable thrusters for Warframes, rather than for example compact space fighters?

Q8. Any chance the beings we saw at the end of the Tomb of the Sentients trailer NOT being Sentients, but rather a seperated new faction?

Edited by Othergrunty

Rebecca you look different today...

If Radial Javelin is intended to be LOS, can we expect other radial abilities to receive the same treatment? If so, may I ask you to consider physics in this (like magnetism going through walls) as well as "will LOS cripple this ability"?

Also, LOS needs serious work if it is to stay.

What are your plans now that U16 is finally out?

Can Corpus enemies get some more variety regarding weapons? Both Snipers and Nullfiiers use the Lanka, but no Corpus Unit uses the Amprex or the Tetra. Maybe copy the normal crewman and give that copy Tetras instead of Deras?

Will the Corpus get a unit similar to the Manic? On the Manic, can he get his invulnerability phases removed? He doesn't need them.

Did the balancing efforts of the PvP team spark any interest in balancing the PvE side of the game?

There's plenty of weapons and mods that need some love, and while we've recently seen a tiny bit with the cold mods, there's still lots to do.

EDIT:

Any more info on the new Void?

It sounds like a pretty massive change, and with the removal of Frost & co. from the drop tables it only raises more questions.

- What will happen to our keys?

- How will drop tables change?

- What will the bonus rewards of playing on the void tileset be?

Edited by Shifted

Question : Do you believe the current situation the Primes (bonus stats attribution seems to be rather nonsensical in most cases, downright unfair and biased in others) are in is acceptable and fair to the players? Don't you think the choice of stat(s) attribution should be in the players' hands?

Edited by Marthrym

1. Why is this game so FUN!!!

2. So i love Hydroid, But I'm lacking the back story (Like were he came from, his favorite color(Which is blue), and his planet.)

A. His plaet that you can get him at should be neptune :)

3. What is FOCUS???

4. Finally Keep up the good work, Love Volt Prime, and Thx for making me spend all my money.