Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Chat 2.0

Ediconum

I support this chat change proposed by OP.

Also to add, please add timestamp on chats. This is especially helpful for players who is in the game but afk for a period of time(like me due to work and stuffs) to know when the last active chat messages were.

This is an option if you go into either "Gameplay" or "Display". So, at least they have that. 

I doubt that because the chat is IRC based it prevents a multi-channel tab.

I haven't been back long, and am not entirely up on some details of the game, but when chat was first introduced I remember talking to Steve in PM and he said it was some other backend. Don't recall ... something with a name of an animal/rodent? Been a long time, but it wasn't IRC, at least at that time.

Either way, chat could certainly use an overhaul. We love our [DE]chatbots, and being able to talk to Mr. Redtext, but there are other concerns. I'd rather not have the distraction of a tab blinking at me because I made the mistake of clicking on Trading, or "region prime", for example. Best case scenario, would be some added options:

-ability to break out the chat into separate windows

-ability to turn on/off blinking shenanigans on individual tabs

-possible settings per tab to merge chat types into the same channel using different colors and/or a preceding marker/icon

-keybinds to switch between tabs, rather than just '/' commands (most people don't know they even exist)

*edit* this keybinds concept is also in a lengthy and well thought-out post here: http://goo.gl/2eFYe6

Separately, for the love of god, please let us use our normal highlighting and associated commands in chat (e.g. ctrl+a/x/c ). Time and again, I try to hit ctrl+shift+left arrow to highlight and delete portions of what I'm typing, only to be reminded that the highlight function is nonexistent. I can absolutely see it if the intention is to eliminate spamming, but typing outside of the client and hitting ctrl+v still works. Is it necessary? No. Would I appreciate it? omfyesitmakesmecrazy.

Edited by RonanFrost

• 2 weeks later...

yes please!

-Add resizing to the chatbox

-Adjustable font size for each box

-Option to create and combine custom mixes pm's/normal/global/trade/ + even mixed region chat?(i'd like to take part in both asia and oceania chat)

-Identifying colors for pm/clan/normal/global

-Detach individual chatboxes into seperate windows and move/resize them to different areas of the screen

-Ability to link items/weapons/mods/frames/resources/acheivements/loadouts in chat

-Ability to link directly to instructions or help menu to other players in chat. (players can add a highlighted link in thier message that when clicked pops up something like a ingame webbrowser to info/help page or wiki)

-Ability to save chat logs of individual windows

-"npc messages" (history of transmissions from lotus/ordis/bosses etc.

-"loot log"

-alert/invasion log

latest edit: clarified some suggestions

Edited by CarrotSalad

Please, please, please allow us to have separate chat tabs open.  I would love to have a Clan chat in the top left, recruit chat in bottom right, and trading chat in bottom left, and a personal chat in the top right (example).  Manley, I just want separate, detachable chat windows.  Also, it would be nice to have someway of combining all the windows in the same chat, but I am not sure how you would chat within each group (i.e. if Alliance and Clan chat appear in the same window), how would I respond to just clan and not alliance?  Maybe with /a or /c, but those can become cumbersome; for this reason I would love separate windows.

Please make this happen, DE!

As a general rule I'm not especially social when I play.  That said, when I do find myself wanting to keep up with a chat window I find it somewhat frustrating.  The only way I've been able to keep a chat tab open (such as squad chat when I actually join a group) is to remove focus from controlling my character to open the tab.  When I switch away from the chat entry the tab minimizes shortly thereafter.

I'd absolutely love to be able to lock a tab open while I play, while maintaining a hot key to begin a chat entry.  If this is currently possible, then I've overlooked the option and would appreciate any direction as to where to find it.

ÇConsideren mejor esta opcion un CHAT que uno ya tenga expandido a penas entras al juego o sales de una mision o entras a una  osea que deberia haber una opcion en el juego que permita a uno tener el chat de forma expandida sin tener que cuando sales o entras de alguna mision te topes con mensajes emergentes pero que debas expandir el chat porque es un poco dificil manejar multiples conversaciones con un chat tan pequeño sin tener que cada rato tener que expandirlo ademas de una opcion que le permita a uno separar varias pestañas de a principal porque a veces uno esta hablando con alguno del clan  

y luego pasa a tener que hablar con la alianza pero luego te sale una tercera pestaña emergente en donde alguien ha de querer hablar contigo entonces ves que estas sobresaturado de varias conversaciones

y a veces uno quisiera pues tener un la opcion que le permita poder tener las pestañas por separado para as mas facilmente manejar la informacion ven Ç 

Ç Consider this option  best one CHAT one has already expanded hardly enter the game or salts of a mission or walk into a bone that there should be an option in the game that allows one to have chat without expanded form when salts or you walk in any mission you come across popups but you must expand the chat because it's a little hard to handle multiple conversations with such a small chat without each time having to expand in addition to an option that allows one to separate multiple tabs to master because sometimes you're talking to any clan
and then goes to have to talk to the alliance but then you get a third emerging tab where someone has to want to talk to you then you see that these supersaturated several conversations

and sometimes one would then have the option to enable it to have separate tabs for easy handling as more information see Ç

ÇConsideren mejor esta opcion un CHAT que uno ya tenga expandido a penas entras al juego o sales de una mision o entras a una  osea que deberia haber una opcion en el juego que permita a uno tener el chat de forma expandida sin tener que cuando sales o entras de alguna mision te topes con mensajes emergentes pero que debas expandir el chat porque es un poco dificil manejar multiples conversaciones con un chat tan pequeño sin tener que cada rato tener que expandirlo ademas de una opcion que le permita a uno separar varias pestañas de a principal porque a veces uno esta hablando con alguno del clan  

y luego pasa a tener que hablar con la alianza pero luego te sale una tercera pestaña emergente en donde alguien ha de querer hablar contigo entonces ves que estas sobresaturado de varias conversaciones

y a veces uno quisiera pues tener un la opcion que le permita poder tener las pestañas por separado para as mas facilmente manejar la informacion ven Ç 

Ç Consider this option  best one CHAT one has already expanded hardly enter the game or salts of a mission or walk into a bone that there should be an option in the game that allows one to have chat without expanded form when salts or you walk in any mission you come across popups but you must expand the chat because it's a little hard to handle multiple conversations with such a small chat without each time having to expand in addition to an option that allows one to separate multiple tabs to master because sometimes you're talking to any clan
and then goes to have to talk to the alliance but then you get a third emerging tab where someone has to want to talk to you then you see that these supersaturated several conversations

and sometimes one would then have the option to enable it to have separate tabs for easy handling as more information see Ç

Ç

YES! Please, for the love of god, all of the above!

Currently, chat is at best inconvenient, at worst it seems to intentionally handicap your ability to communicate.

There is no logistical or logical reason why the chat functions seem to deliberately avoid many of the conventions that most mmo's have adopted. The only rational explination that I can reasonably accept, is laziness. The current chat function seems like it was hastily cobbled together to provide rudamentary communication between players prior to closed alpha testing and nobody has thought about it since.

I appreciate that the devs are busy designing and implimenting new content, so very much content, but maybe now is the time to assign someone the task of designing a chat system that actively facilitates communication, rather than begrudgingly allows communication to exist.

Also, trade2.0justsayin...

Holy damn. 

Must have more salts of a mission and more walking into bones.

• 2 weeks later...

YUSH! DO WANT!

Just watch out for the fact that if you try to post in a multi-channel with trade or recruiting in it, you'll probably get kicked, depending on what you say. Something to work around I guess.

...Though I really wish we had a trading and recruiting board to begin with...*grumblegrumble*