Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Distributed Nat Proxies

[DE]Glen

I too am now seeing a message pop up at login, 'Please ensure that your firewall permits UDP ports 4950 and 4955'.  This is the first time that I am ever seeing this message(I played earlier this morning, no issue...now this evening I am getting this).  I went into my router and set up port forwarding for these two ports, even though previously I never had to.  I am still getting the message on login AND when I perform Analyze Network even after port forwarding.

So far, Ive seen no issue, but, again, Ive never seen this message before and I have never had to do anything special on my router with WF.

Yup -- fixed. I took the dog for a walk and while I was away someone sent the servers a bad packet and the error handler crashed. I have fixed the error and restarted the cluster.

I'm back to square one. I appear offline and messing with UPnP doesn't do anything

edit: ok so I can sometimes accept invites, but with some players i appear offline..

Edited by Ghogiel

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing a problem here -- all MM servers have been running fine since the restart and all login servers are up to date.

As always: I'm curious what Analyze Network says for you and the friend viewing you.

Ugh, all this technobabble. Can we just undo the latest hotfix and make everyone happy again? I love Warframe, I really do. Its probably the freshest game I've played in a long tme after all these shooters that dominated the gamng market for the longest time. I've crammed a solid 500 hrs in the last 2 months alone, this game is so good, and its the only game I really play nowadays. But is it really necessary to have to jump through all these hoops just to get the game to work with a hotfix, after never having this kind of problem before? Ive been screwing around wth my router, support sites, my nat type and UPnP garbage for HOURS, and I still cant get it right. And this is really not something I want to have to deal with after suffering through jury duty for the last week (and the case has 2 more weeks to go). I know I'm just one voice in a sea of many, but some of us just arent as technically savy as the rest, and we've got way too much on our plate to be able to take the time to really get down and dirty with this stuff.

Glen I'd like to thank you and everyone and DE, but my words can only say so much. Thanks so much :> My friend and I could finally play together without much problems c:

The only problem is that she "appears to be offline" when shes not, but it fixes after she relogs. 

Yup -- fixed. I took the dog for a walk and while I was away someone sent the servers a bad packet and the error handler crashed. I have fixed the error and restarted the cluster.

Thanks, 

I'll take a look when I get home tonight...and I'll perform Analyze Network.  No news is good news, but if I re-post, it means something is up o.O 

What kind of dog?

Edited by cesmode

I just got the port problem, hasn't happened in a while and only seems to happen when I finish another match with other players. after the first match is complete any other connections always result in 'Host not Found' or another message along the lines of it, aswell as myself appearing offline to other players.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing a problem here -- all MM servers have been running fine since the restart and all login servers are up to date.

As always: I'm curious what Analyze Network says for you and the friend viewing you.

I'm seeing a problem XD

Like Im in a lobby I created. then somone gets booted after like 5mins in it. Then I can't deleiver invite back to him. Square one. Relog it works again... but probably going to mess up again

Analyse network says all systems nominal.

There's a phrase we use around the office to console ourselves with our lot in life:

"It's not my fault but it's my problem."

Yesterday's problem was malfunctioning UPnP software -- we tested a whole lot of situations but getting a "totally broken and likely to hang" UPnP driver is a bit difficult for us to get in the QA lab. Not my fault but my problem; I added a workaround for people stuck with this that went out last night.

Today's problem is "some people get bad packet loss to Singapore" -- I had never seen this in all our testing but I managed to reproduce this twice this morning (and then never again). Again, in all our labs we never saw this (maybe we just have a good ISP, maybe the packet loss depends on the weather -- who knows?). 

Packet loss is likely why people are getting spurious Firewall warnings -- historically if we couldn't reach the server it was because someone's firewall was misconfigured; now that we have local servers around the world it could just mean that there is packet loss between you and the remote server.

This morning I made several changes: the analysis will now try considerably harder to reach remote hosts (30 attempts 500ms apart instead of 3 attempts 5s apart), and it will also not complain about firewalls if it could reach most of the servers in the cluster (ie: so that if there is packet loss or one of the servers is down it can silently ignore this). We'll try to get this out in a hotfix as soon as QA has approved the build.

Finally: to those that wonder "Why bother changing it at all?" here's why:

Warframe is played all around the world; what might have been fine for you may not have been very good for someone living on the other side of the globe. We're working hard to make the network handle players no matter where they live. Judging by the stats I collected yesterday this already made a huge difference for people playing in Europe with Strict NAT.

Furthermore, every update the number of Tenno playing Warframe grows and the strain on the servers gets worse (recall the first few days of Update 16 when the Matchmaking Server was getting overloaded!). Having a single node handle everything is not a practical long-term solution and going to a distributed cluster would have been inevitable.

These are growing pains and we appreciate your patience and assistance throughout this transition.

And finally, someone asked about my dog:

sJNZvtI.jpg

His name is George and he likes going for walks. Sadly because I've been working over 70-hour-weeks for the last month he hasn't been getting daytime walks as much as he would like. Believe me, I'd like to have these matchmaking issues sorted out as much as you would because at this point I could really do with a weekend.

I'm curious but I've heard much talk that having dedicated server system would solve many of these problems, my question is why don't we have those, is it a question of not having the financial resources to set up a system like that or what?

i'd love to be able to run my own dedicated server in my own closet somewhere. (or even from home)

i'm sure the work involved wouldn't be trivial, but it would certainly solve many of these problems.

@DEGlen I still would like to know what prevents Warframe from having dedicated servers instead of using peer to peer, is it a financial constraint or what?

define dedicated servers? i.e. run by DE or run by users?

if it's the former, i can guarantee it's costs. hardware costs, upkeep costs, bandwidth costs.

that adds up QUICKLY, especially when you consider the fact that they would have to deploy these things all over the world.

if it's the latter... well, i'd love to be able to run a dedicated server in my own leased DC space. be able to configure access rules within the client program and then all my games would be hosted via my own dedicated server. i rail against the idea of DE selling access to dedicated servers, but there is an argument to be made there for profits and improved playability.

define dedicated servers? i.e. run by DE or run by users?

if it's the former, i can guarantee it's costs. hardware costs, upkeep costs, bandwidth costs.

that adds up QUICKLY, especially when you consider the fact that they would have to deploy these things all over the world.

if it's the latter... well, i'd love to be able to run a dedicated server in my own leased DC space. be able to configure access rules within the client program and then all my games would be hosted via my own dedicated server. i rail against the idea of DE selling access to dedicated servers, but there is an argument to be made there for profits and improved playability.

Pretty much this, it would be expensive for DE to run dedis and while player run dedis are a cheaper alternative there, it opens up many more security vulnerabilities for hacking etc, even if DE lock down the user server files.

Iv been getting alot of disruptions/disconnections to warframe in the last few days, is this latest cascade of server issues the possible cause? As my problems are specifically:
- losing connection to chat
- losing connection to host
- several random "auto-logoff" when completing a mission

If not, should I be making a support ticket about these issues?