Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"excalibur Is A Sword-Themed Warframe"

SteelSoldier

Well if you want to be a smartass and claim ignorance to very obvious facts...

Smartass?  Yes, I am.  Claiming ignorance of "obvious facts"?  Where have I done that?  The only "obvious fact" is that Excalibur shares a name with a legendary sword.  When taken painfully literally, that might suggest a sword theme.  Taken as I took it when I saw Excalibur, not so much.

When the sword was drawn from the stone the era of King Arthur began.  In that context the sword is a symbol of a new beginning.  Excalibur was the first warframe, the introduction of which represents a turning point.and the beginning of an era.

It is thjs symbolic interpretation that came to mind when I first saw Excalibur.

Back before the tutorial we have now was a thing, the description of Excalibur talked up both his swordsmanship and his melee affinity. The one recieved when choosing a Warframe, not the codex entry.

This less than "obvious" fact is the answer I was looking for when I posed the question.  I wasn't around back then so there's no way I can be expected to know this.

Thank you for your answer.

Even the current tutorial still talks Excalibur as being effective with melee weapons, which is no longer the case.

Sure his abilities still affect enemies, but they don't do a damn thing to his weapons.

Perhaps I should start up a new account and replay the "tutorial" missions.  I don't recall anything that talked up Excal's melee prowess.  It is, of course, entirely possible that I am misremembering.

Edited by Thaelyn2

Actually Radial Blind no longer gives any sort of multiplier.

It does, just no longer for the stun duration. Whats fine if you ask me. Offers the option to chain radial blind and javelin for the additional melee-buff without harming the inniatial-dmg. The stealth multiplier is aviable the moment the blind hits in.

Edit: this is at least the case on the pre-U16 version on the ps4? Evrything else seems to be quite the same, just read that DE released additional nerfs on U16.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Excal just needs some love, not broken LoS. Also, being a "sword themed" doesn't necessarily mean he MUST be a melee character, his Warframe Profile video says "he suits any playstyle" plus, even if he's not Melee-oriented he is clearly sword-themed, I mean, Look at his skills.. waving magical swords everywhere.
What he needs is to have skills that actually synergize with eachother, melee or not, the swords are definetely there.

Forgive my noobness, but where has this been said by DE?  I know it's pulled directly from the wiki, but players make the wiki, not DE.

I'm not trying to argue the point, I'm just trying to understand where this perception comes from.  I've personally seen nothing that suggests a sword theme apart from the fact that this frame is named after a sword.  I don't see that, overall, his abilities suggest a sword theme (Slash Dash being an  exception).

So, where did the notion of Excal being a "Sword Themed" frame come from?

It was never officially stated that Excalibur is a "sword themed warframe"

However his name (and maybe the point on his head), and how some of his powers either use or create swords has given some people that impression. The theme is relatively apparent.

That said there are many ways in which that could play out in gameplay mechanics.

If anything, his video description implies how he shoudl be played.

And it makes a pretty good case that Excalibur should be more sturdy and versatile than he currently is.

As it stands, Excalibur's name has very little to do with what his actual abilities are.

Sure his abilities involve swords in some way, but previously you could be carrying an AXE and it wouldn't make any difference.

I think you may be taking it a bit too literally.

Back before the tutorial we have now was a thing, the description of Excalibur talked up both his swordsmanship and his melee affinity. The one recieved when choosing a Warframe, not the codex entry.

Which could simply have been a reference to slash dash being a melee power and him having decent stats for close range combat at the time. 

Even the current tutorial still talks Excalibur as being effective with melee weapons, which is no longer the case.

Not quite. The current tutorial states that warframes are effective with melee weapons.

The same statement is made regardless of which starter frame you chose.

Sure his abilities still affect enemies, but they don't do a damn thing to his weapons.

Perhaps they could and that would be cool. However there is nothing in his description that indicates a power has to affect his weapons to fit his theme.

Edited by Ronyn

This "starter" excuse is the purest BS ever. Every frame has to be good. Excalibur is not the first frame you use for a while and then just throw into the trash can. He's supposed to be good all the way, just like every other frame, period.

Yeah, They always seems to single out Excalibur and give some exception for Volt and Mag. The idea that he is the starter frame and supposed to be garbage is selectively applied. If DE smashed Volt and Mag the qq'ing would be epic.

On_topic:

There is no need in game for super jump with directional melee; Want to get up high, use a Bo prime or a Ripkas. Even if directional melee did not exist, why does he need to have a slot wasted when his '2' is a better get out of death card?

1+ anyway, for coming up with ideas to fix him.

Excalibur needs a purpose other than using slash dash to speed through section of the map.

"Excalibur is a sword-themed Warframe. With the power to channel energy into his summoned blade, he is a mobile swordsman with potent methods of execution."

Do not confuse the wiki entry for being official information.

You are forgetting Excalibur is the Poster Boy AND starter frame. He shouldn't have insanely good stats for... everything. He's meant to be easy to play and understand, and say 120% of 100 is a lot easier to figure out than 125. As well has having the base 1.0 sprint speed. It's all based on him being a starter type frame.

Three things.

1: In a recent Devstream Scott made it clear that all frames are meant to be end game viable. Equally good. We are supposed to be choosing the frame based on preference of play-style. That in mind-Excalibur being a  "starter frame" has no bearing on how effective he should be.

It's only relevant in that he is good for people to play in order to get a sense of how warframes work.

2: "Insanely good stats for everything" would be bad though I'm not sure what the OP suggest would fall into that category.

In general Excalibur stats are middle of the road (as one would expect) though is armor is now on the lower end of the spectrum comparatively.

At the very least that should be brought up to some sort of middle point. (Armor became more important since melee 2.0)

3: Every frame in the game is meant to be unique and have it's own role in combat. "Easy to learn" is not a role so Excalibur still needs to excel in one way or another. The flavor text and description give us a clear indicator on what that should be. he is meant to excel at being balanced. 

So when looking to tune Excalibur look to make him fit that description properly and effectively....

All "starter frame" should mean is that his mechanics should be easy to grasp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the official warframe page: https://warframe.com/game/warframes?id=Excalibur

TEXT-

"The perfect Training Warframe. The Excalibur suit allows players to explore the power or warframes with a balanced set of abilities"

VIDEO-

"This is Excalibur the first of the warframes at your disposal. With a balance of mobility and offensive capabilities Excalibur is the perfect gateway into the incredible power of the warframes. Excalibur has uniquely balanced powers for both offensive and defensive engagement"

Slash Dash forces Excalibur forward and violently damages anyone or anything in his path.

If there were any survivors Excalibur can utilize radial blind to stun them and help eliminate your opponents much easier.

Excalibur can also seek out alternative pathways, keeping above the action. Use super jump to get out of tough situations or scout ahead. Alerting your squad of potential dangers.

There are times Tenno when even the best get surrounded. Radial Javelin is Excaliburs secret weapon. Enemies in range will be immediately skewered by deadly spears. Impaling them against walls.

Excalibur can be modified to suit nearly any playstyle. Utilizing crit and damage mods he can become a deadly weapon. With shield, health and armor mods he can become an agent of distraction. or a reconnaissance scout built for speed and agility. Stamina and sprint mods will help him lead the team to battle. There are a vast array of weapons available for Excalibur. Choose from any as he is suited for many types of combat. No matter your style the excalibur warframe is a formidable choice."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The question should be does Excalibur live up to that.

Id say..sort of. But many things have changed in warframe over the years due to enemy scaling and a wider variety of mods.

Excalibur will need some work to stay viable in the game.

Edited by Ronyn

Potentially the Super Jump instead of just increasing the damage of your slam attack it would increase the AOE radius of it. potentially you would use a bit more energy if you decided to use a Slam Attack, if not you would consume the same amount of energy you did before.

dOeDlBs.gif

You are forgetting Excalibur is the Poster Boy AND starter frame. He shouldn't have insanely good stats for... everything. He's meant to be easy to play and understand, and say 120% of 100 is a lot easier to figure out than 125. As well has having the base 1.0 sprint speed. It's all based on him being a starter type frame.

I'm pretty sure just because you're new to the game doesn't mean you don't have a calculator built in to your OS or phone.

That's about the lamest excuse I've heard for not increasing xcal's stats....

Base stats have never been rebalanced....ever.  The only time they've been touched up is when they made Ember "useful" and when they realized valk's armor wasn't going to cut it because they never actually sat down and played 100% melee before building that frame.

Edited by Thaumatos

Potentially the Super Jump instead of just increasing the damage of your slam attack it would increase the AOE radius of it. potentially you would use a bit more energy if you decided to use a Slam Attack, if not you would consume the same amount of energy you did before.

dOeDlBs.gif

I would love this.

The damage of the slam isn't increased at the moment (unless stealth multipliers are involved, which I haven't really noticed since I keep bumping into enemies during direct-hit slams anyways), but yeah, I would love to see SJ give a boost to your slam damage and radius based on how fast you're going when you hit the ground. Maybe have it so that Heavy Impact stacks onto this additively.

I would love this.

The damage of the slam isn't increased at the moment (unless stealth multipliers are involved, which I haven't really noticed since I keep bumping into enemies during direct-hit slams anyways), but yeah, I would love to see SJ give a boost to your slam damage and radius based on how fast you're going when you hit the ground. Maybe have it so that Heavy Impact stacks onto this additively.

I haven't gotten any stealth bonuses for slam attacks.

I would think primarily because you land and uncloak milliseconds before the attack triggers.

Edited by Thaumatos

Loki would like to have a word with you