[DE]Glen

Crashes On Amd Catalyst 14.12 Omega, Update

If you are using an AMD graphics card and experience crashes when on loading screens or in relays you are not alone. Previous post here:

This bug is one of our most frequent crashes and has been annoying a lot of people:

Qfvq8If.png

I scanned our bug database for all crashes related to ID3D11Device::CreateBuffer and analyzed over 20,000 crash logs and over 6000 dxdiag reports.

Over 99% of the crashes are for AMD GPUs.
Older Catalyst Drivers (14.4) do not have this problem (0 hits!)
Beta Catalyst Drivers (15.3) still have the problem
It’s related to multi-threaded rendering (even when the render thread is synchronized!)

Currently known workarounds (pick one):

Disable DirectX 10 and 11 in the launcher settings (sacrifices graphics quality)
Disable multi-threaded rendering in the launcher settings (sacrifices frame-rate)
Install Catalyst 14.4 (sacrifice a year of driver optimizations and fixes)

AMD asked us to check if the crash occurred with the current beta drivers; our data shows that these drivers crash just the same:

md6DHxQ.png

I aggregated the GPUs by series which confirmed our earlier observation that this was not isolated to any particular GPU generation:

JePFddI.png

I also graphed the crashes by OS --- again no surprises here:

ISnmB8R.png

This crash is particularly nasty because it’s deep inside the graphics driver -- we don’t have the source code for this so we can’t tell what the problem is. We have tried the DirectX 11 debug runtime and all kinds of stress-tests and as far as we can tell we aren’t breaking any rules (although I’d believe it if we were).

A typical call stack looks like this, in case you’re curious (since we haven’t got debug symbols for the AMD driver (atidxx64.dll) we haven’t got much of a clue beyond “reading a bad pointer”).

Unhandled exception at 0x000007FEF6C970EE (atidxx64.dll)
0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF 
atidxx64.dll!000007fef6c970ee()
atidxx64.dll!000007fef6c96f0a()
atidxx64.dll!000007fef6c97db6()
atidxx64.dll!000007fef6c98745()
atidxx64.dll!000007fef6c44b7e()
atidxx64.dll!000007fef6c44325()
atidxx64.dll!XdxInitXopAdapterServices() + 9358 bytes
atidxx64.dll!000007fef7154452()
atidxx64.dll!000007fef7176db8()
atidxx64.dll!000007fef6c4c519()
atiuxp64.dll!OpenAdapter10_2() + 641 bytes
d3d11.dll!CResource<ID3D11Texture3D>::CLS::FinalConstruct()
d3d11.dll!TCLSWrappers<CTexture3D>::CLSFinalConstructFn()
d3d11.dll!CLayeredObjectWithCLS<CBuffer>::CreateInstance()
d3d11.dll!CDevice::CreateLayeredChild()
d3d11.dll!CBridgeImpl<ID3D11LayeredDevice,ID3D11LayeredDevice,CLayeredObject<CDevice> >::CreateLayeredChild()
d3d11.dll!CD3D11LayeredChild<ID3D11DeviceChild,NDXGI::CDevice,64>::FinalConstruct()
d3d11.dll!NDXGI::CDeviceChild<IDXGISurface>::FinalConstruct()
d3d11.dll!CLayeredObject<NDXGI::CResource>::CreateInstance()
d3d11.dll!NDXGI::CDevice::CreateLayeredChild()
d3d11.dll!CBridgeImpl<ID3D11LayeredDevice,ID3D11LayeredDevice,CLayeredObject<NDXGI::CDevice> >::CreateLayeredChild()
d3d11.dll!NOutermost::CDeviceChild::FinalConstruct()
d3d11.dll!CUseCountedObject<NOutermost::CDeviceChild>::CreateInstance()
d3d11.dll!NOutermost::CDevice::CreateLayeredChild()
d3d11.dll!CDevice::CreateBuffer_Worker()
d3d11.dll!CDevice::CreateBuffer()

The bad pointer addresses we’ve seen are either -1, 0, or 0x0C.

I’ve sent more diagnostics to AMD and am hoping they can help us out. I’ll keep you updated with any news we get on this.

___

15/04: An update and development on this issue + next steps from our end:

1) The next Update (today/tomorrow on PC) will have driver version checking when the Launcher is opened. If we detect that you are running a driver version that is known to cause crashes, we will automatically disable DirectX 10 and 11 to ensure your game client can run.

2) Once we have confirmed improvements on the relevant driver version issues (all drivers newer than Catalyst 14.4 WHQL), the automatic disabling of DirectX 10 and 11 on launch will be adjusted to allow for usage where appropriate.

Thank you for your patience, Tenno.

-----

16/04: Incoming Changes Later Today

In response to continued crashes on AMD drivers we’re rolling back our Hotfix that enabled our Launcher to automatically adjust Driver versions from DirectX 10 or 11.  This change will occur later today, and we'll keep you updated as we continue to investigate this issue.  Thank you all for being patient while we work to get this fixed. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

*Rollback is live. Please see Hotfix 16.3.4 for details: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/442256-hotfix-1634/

We will keep you updated on future changes made to improve AMD Driver issues. 

Edited by [DE]Megan
Rollback is live
  • Upvote 26

"Am i the only one who crashes all the ti-" "NO!"

On a serious note here, this is really interesting to look at. Having graphs and such is pretty nice. I kind of had a hunch about it being the fault of the my amd drivers but since warframe tends to come with a few bugs i thought that it will go away eventually and i am sure you guys at DE now what you are doing and can do something about it.

Keep it up i guess.

Also...first. Sorry. i had to.

Edited by Megakruemel
  • Upvote 3

Amazing investigation. Thank you for taking the time to write this up!

• Upvote 5

Im too uninformed to understand what exactly this all means, but it is indeed reassuring to find out warframe crashes on my compy not just because I'm playing on a typewriter

That being said, as always, keep up the good work i suppose >_>

Weird. I use AMD, and I don't have these crash issues. I use the AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon HD 1.90GHz.

HOWEVER... The game is rather slow if you try to max out all graphic settings. So... for maximum fun, and no slow downs I turned all my graphics down to the lowest setting. Have only DirectX 10 NOT 11 on. 64 bit mode, and multi-threaded Rendering turned on. It works extremely well for me, and no signs of crashing what so ever.

edit: So I don't think its all AMD just a good number of them.

Edited by Arlayn
  • Upvote 2

Thx for the effort, Glen. I hope AMD comes up with something useful.

Edited by Zeranov

Well... I can safely say I've never encountered it... Because until AMD shows me a driver update after 14.4 that doesn't have at least 3 immediate flaws, I refuse to update.

Sure, I am lacking significant upgrades in the drivers.... (and I hope they get their act together for the new 390x cards, I'm upgrading my monster rig with them when they finally release) but overall the lesson to be learnt is that stability is 100% of the time more important then small percentages of performance upgrades.

~Edit~

Forgot to mention the good work Glen... I perused the AMD thread (have it book marked) and asked a few friends (professional coders and a Software Engineering friend to have a peak if they could ID anything) and they couldn't come up with much to add into the post due to not having access to AMD's devkits.

We're gonna have to get AMD to motorboat this one for us, I think the issue is deeper then we think. 

Edited by SilverZs

I've been using the latest AMD driver since it came out.  Didn't have any issues until this week after one of the Hotfixes or possibly U16.2.

• Upvote 1

Have you linked this in game in the news section? This kind of info is good to point at in-game.

I haven't noticed any crashes and I've been using the 14.12 drivers since some time after they came out. I have noticed some intermittent frame drops these last week or two. At one time it dropped down to 40 or 30 for about a minute or two. Usually I hold a steady 60 in my liset.

My GPU:

Radeon 6800

My settings:

All my settings are on except the following

- depth of field

- motion blur

- bloom

- constant weapon trail

The geometry detail, particle system quality, shadow quality, and texture memory is set to medium, and anti-aliasing is set to low.

Hopefully whatever is wrong gets solved.

Yeah I get the Crash when trying to load to Relay from time to time. That's 90% of my crashes is when trying to load to a relay. The other one is when I try to load a solo mission.

Ok what about Nvidia?  I have the same issue but with Nvidia?

What are the recommended drivers for both companies?

i got a r9 290 i only crash about 20% of the time and usually it's a blue screen only ever on warframe do i get a blue screen i already sent my EE.log into a ticket today so i hope that'll help

Here's a thought I'm sure y'all have come up with already but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

I remember reading in the patch notes that AMD users would now have access to all the nice Physx effects that Nvidia users got to enjoy. Could that particular update clash with the AMD 14.12 omega update?

That being said, I have not experienced this crash on my old R7 260X Core Edition OR my new R9 280.

Edited by Seqan

My current GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121867&cm_re=amd_radeon_r9-_-14-121-867-_-Product

I have crashed once or twice since the begging of these issues due to Graphical issues. One during survival and the other void exterminate i believe.

The first happened about a week after these threads popped up, the second  happened sometime after U16.1. Those are the only ones that come to mind ATM. Though u thought i had an issue sometime the first time i went to a relay. This might not be totally beneficial but just throwing this out there.

Edit: Just looked at the Crashes by Model chart. My GPU uses R9 280 In case that helps at all. I also use Windows 8.1 which throws it in another direction. Though i dont remember anything about the driver info. How do i check that?

Edited by pattonsguy

I don't know why , but recently everytime I close game , alt + f4 or just right click close it ask to make report  this is something news maybe?(Note I did'nt update my driver to the lastest driver yet , will wait until it's ok with warframe)

Very nice, thank you! Now I know, that my bazillon crash reports were useful afterall :)

One thing, which seems to work for me (at least against the crashes during loading screen) is to put the WF client into background. Minimising it for instance (as long, as there's nothing on the screen anymore) keeps my client from crashing.

So uh. Awkward. The hotfix that was meant to fix this actually worked for me, no crashes for days.

Then the hotfix hit today and I've had two crash-on-loads already. Exact same behavior. You seeing a new flood of reports Mr. Glen? Any suggestions? :)

When I first started playing I had fewer things going wrong. Not sure why it got worse. But hotfixes are needed as well as updating the PC. I have the built in graphics of AMD APU Radeon HD 7660D.

If I right click the warframe/steam launcher there is no direct x settings (due to built in graphics?)

But in the game folder I only see direct x 9 so I assume that's what I have.

Right now I am updating a chipset driver 13.352.1019 version 677 MB size. It is taking a long time.

Edited by ramonefrunkis

Ok the latest fixes didnt worked after all im still getting crashes at the loading screen. Back to disable dx10,11 i guess.

An update and development on this issue + next steps from our end:

1) The next Update (today/tomorrow on PC) will have driver version checking when the Launcher is opened. If we detect that you are running a driver version that is known to cause crashes, we will automatically disable DirectX 10 and 11 to ensure your game client can run.

2) Once we have confirmed improvements on the relevant driver version issues (all drivers newer than Catalyst 14.4 WHQL), the automatic disabling of DirectX 10 and 11 on launch will be adjusted to allow for usage where appropriate.

Thank you for your patience, Tenno.

• Upvote 4

What if we have an affected version but no issues on our end? Can we manually force it back on if need be?

• Upvote 2