Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ember's World On Fire Is Crippled

H0PE

I was shocked when I tried to play with my good old ember prime just now.

I thought it is a bug that I activate the ulti for 65ish energy and then every second I saw the energy slipping away quiet fast.

Now there is no good reason for me to use her anymore. And I'm saying this comparing her ulti to any other ulti on dps frames. Nyx, Hydro, Volt, Mesa, etc...

This is an unworthy ulti. Please fix and remove the energy cost channel prices. Unless you don't want us to use her anymore (yes, except a handful of people who blindly stick to her ... just because).

Just getting this out of the way: Nyx is not a DPS frame.

On to the real topic: Players pretty universally agree that World on Fire has issues. It should either have a maximum duration and not cost energy per second (old version), or it should cost per second with a low up-front cost and no maximum duration (the requested toggle version). For some reason, we're stuck with this awkward middle ground with all of downsides of both possibilities (high up-front cost, cost per second after, limited duration).

Edited by Centias

Seems like they wanted to break the whole "leave it on all the time" playstyle and turn it back into a burst like the other frames.

With Accelerant added to the mix her damage is fantastic. This is debuff->nuke. RPG 101 territory.

My current Ember Prime build works great with Accelerant->WoF. My duration is around 7.something seconds and that's plenty to wipe and CC a small room combined with Accelerant and me shooting a heavy unit while it kills the trash... but her power costs are way too high IMO. I almost never actually do that because I'd rather keep the power to do Accelerant and use my heat-modded gun.

On to the real topic: Players pretty universally agree that World on Fire has issues. It should either have a maximum duration and not cost energy per second (old version), or it should cost per second with a low up-front cost and no maximum duration (the requested toggle version). For some reason, we're stuck with this awkward middle ground with all of downsides of both possibilities (high up-front cost, cost per second after, limited duration).

^

This.

Yep. When they said it was going to be a toggle ability, I was pretty excited. That would have really helped Ember's energy issues, letting her micro-manage her energy use. But no. It's worse than before.

Don't get me wrong, the other changes they made to Ember were good. Her Fire Blast ability was a welcome addition of CC to a frame that otherwise lacked it, and the extra armor and stamina/speed made her a lot more maneuverable on the field. But her fourth ability is still pretty blah. For a frame that is pretty much slated as a raw damage dealing frame, she has a pretty subpar ultimate. Fire damage has kinda been brushed under the rug as an elemental type, and she ends up spending more on WoF than most frames need to spend on their Ults, and unlike most ultimate abilities it's not a blanket 'destroy everything in a 15m radius' but a random target every X seconds. It's basically Ash's bladestorm with lower damage and without the invulnerability. You get to maintain mobility, but whoop de doo, the range is not great and she's not (and never will be) in a place where she can feel safe surrounded by enemies.

I think you have a build with negative efficiency if you are casting WoF for 65 cost out front. It should only cost 50 energy on cast and 5 per second which is the same as most toggle Ults. Add more power efficiency to your build

Ember has too many attributes in flux to just say add more this or that. Most frames you can play a mix of stats or you can min-max for one power, because that power doesn't care about some stats. Like how a Loki doing Invisibility can take Narrow Minded because Invisibility doesn't care about range. Some frames even benefit from drawbacks like mini Snowglobes or more concentrated Tempest Barrages.

Meanwhile all of Ember's powers need strength, duration and range and her kit needs enough power bonuses to both combo and run toggles. There's just no way.

The only way she makes sense on paper IMO is spamming Accelerant while using heat based guns and ignoring the rest, because the Accelerant debuff is so strong you don't need maximized power strength or duration, but try telling the boards that their favorite fire sorceress is a debuff bot for guns. See how that goes.

Edited by VKhaun

Ember has too many attributes in flux to just say add more this or that. Most frames you can play a mix of stats or you can min-max for one power, because that power doesn't care about some stats. Like how a Loki doing Invisibility can take Narrow Minded because Invisibility doesn't care about range. Some frames even benefit from drawbacks like mini Snowglobes or more concentrated Tempest Barrages.

Meanwhile all of Ember's powers need strength, duration and range and her kit needs enough power bonuses to both combo and run toggles. There's just no way.

The only way she makes sense on paper IMO is spamming Accelerant while using heat based guns and ignoring the rest, because the Accelerant debuff is so strong you don't need maximized power strength or duration, but try telling the boards that their favorite fire sorceress is a debuff bot for guns. See how that goes.

The easiest solution is just mod moderately for duration and range. Focus on strength and efficiency. In most case, prime continuity and stretch are enough for Ember. Modded for max efficiency and at least two mod for power strength instead. The duration based Ember was long gone, you just gotta adapt. With that being said, Ember still had her fair share issue at high level void mission as she Is a close range caster frame who rely on her cc to keep her safe. Nullifier will make short work on her.

I was shocked when I tried to play with my good old ember prime just now.

I thought it is a bug that I activate the ulti for 65ish energy and then every second I saw the energy slipping away quiet fast.

Now there is no good reason for me to use her anymore. And I'm saying this comparing her ulti to any other ulti on dps frames. Nyx, Hydro, Volt, Mesa, etc...

This is an unworthy ulti. Please fix and remove the energy cost channel prices. Unless you don't want us to use her anymore (yes, except a handful of people who blindly stick to her ... just because).

There are a thousand topics just like this, they killed Ember so much, that she literally bleeds energy upon World on Fire's activation.