Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fights Between Factions Need Some Love

MyXmaN

I remember the first time i encountered a fight between factions. It was a corpus mission and Lotus said "Im detecting a large security force. Its the grineer".

I was like "okay, okay, whatever... WHAT?! Grineer?!"

And after that i saw a heavy machinegunner mowing down those corpus MOAs. I was excited beyond measure.

But later i found out that when faction #2 appears, faction #1 likely stops spawning at all. So basically we are just fighting another faction now. Confrontation between two is seen really rarely.

While it is exciting and unpredictable at first, later it becomes just "okay, whatever, lets kill the grineer now".

I think this should be looked at, (although not a priority).

For example:

1) new Lotus lines for such events:

"it seems a grineer assault team has just boarded this vessel, prepare for a heavy fight".

"corpus walkers are boarding the vessel, its going to be hell out there"

2) both factions should spawn, and IMO spawn more. Its like a full scale alert for the vessel to be boarded not just by 4 tenno, but by an opposing faction! Perhaps they should even spawn close to each other so that we may see more firefights.

3) how about seeing a firefight between spaceships out of the window? Missiles that crash into the ship, staggering everyone on board because of the impact? Decompression on some levels when the ship gets hit? It would surely add A LOT to the atmosphere and make the game even more immersive.

4) after some hits were taken, the lights may go out and we may get a message "ship integrity has been compromised" (we sometimes do get it as a bonus objective) and have a timer to run the hell outta there, facing multiple firefights between corpus and grineer.

I understand it is a lot of work, but if it is done someday, it will surely be AWESOME, especially for players that encounter such a situation for the first time.

Perhaps i should start writing some questions for the next livestream.

Edited by MyXmaN

I think this is absolutely one of the best ways to add variety and variance to the otherwise ridiculously repetitive level/ships/asteroids/planets.

It does a great job of not only adding life to the area the tenno care about most(the room right in front of them), but it also adds great supportive life too that makes it seem like it's not just 4 tenno vs the entire solar system.

Plus it encourages preparation. Oh sure, ignore all AP mods for pure electric damage, but when the Grineer show up, they can f*** you rihgt in your a** with ************************** and **************** then *********** you to *************** with ***********.

Plus, new special Alert mission type-Enemy Conflict-A special Extermination mission where there are four-six times the normal amount of units, but it's when the Corpus and Grineer have both boarded an Infested ship to retrieve an object of interest. You have to both retrieve the object (or at least prevent the Corpus or Grineer from getting it) and wipe out all life. The object retrieval is there just to ensure you can't hide in a corner and let them slaughter each other.

This would add so much to the immersion of this game. Right now there isn't much to show that these factions oppose one another other than that little bit of conflict when the enemy type changes. There is a lot you can do with this too:

- A window blown out as enemies board the ship.

- Lotus and the ship intercom could give status updates of the battle. Enemies Infiltrate engine room / bridge / reactor.

- If it's a planet type you could see ships overhead, with a landing vessel dropping enemies. You could even have stray shots from ships impact the map.

I would love to see timed rescue or capture missions, where you board either a Grineer or Corpus controlled ship that is under attack from the other faction. You have to rescue the prisoner of capture the VIP not just befor the timer runs out and the ship is destroyed, but boarding parties could come along to try to kill the target too and you have to get there first.

Of course, this would also require the agressive faction's AI to be able to open locked doors too, not just to get the prisoner, but to also get past a lockdown.

+1 to the OP, however...

I feel as though DE can't quite do everything suggested here even if they wanted to. There are a lot of technical issues with getting 4-6 times as many enemies, as one person suggested. 4-6 times as many enemies means 4-6 times the potential replication that has to occur (this means the NPCs all need to look like they are doing the same thing on all 4 players' computers and worse if DE ever makes the game more than 4). Ai isn't hard to do and it's not that CPU intensive, but making sure it's the same on everyone's screen is a lot tougher. With that they have now, the game seems fine. I'm not sure the game could handle 4-6, or even twice as many enemies.

I want it to happen though. Just don't think if DE doesn't do it, that they didn't like the idea, or that they didn't already think of it. There are a lot of technical limitations in a co-op game, and often more so than in a PvP only (where there are no NPcs to worry about, just 32 players, for example).

Edited by gell

I do believe that things like this are already in the thoughts of the DE-WF team that are included in their to-do list, it's just they ough to prioritize the game's growth, a precursor for things such as story-line/in-game story enrichment.

This or something similar to this will definitely come to our plates when the time is right, for the meantime, let's just be excited with the thought.. and here's a well-earned bump and +1 to you.

I do believe that things like this are already in the thoughts of the DE-WF team that are included in their to-do list, it's just they ough to prioritize the game's growth, a precursor for things such as story-line/in-game story enrichment.

This or something similar to this will definitely come to our plates when the time is right, for the meantime, let's just be excited with the thought.. and here's a well-earned bump and +1 to you.

This IS the game's growth. The game needs improved non-repetitive gameplay before it needs story improvements or it won't have the legs to make it out of beta. 

This sounds like an interesting idea!  Wonder how the Lotus would react to Infested somehow getting on a ship (because I know that THAT'S happened to me a few times).  

Probably say something along the lines of, "That's not good...Looks like Infested have somehow boarded the vessel.  Things are about to get ugly."

There should be faction truces between Corpus and Grineer on a level. Perhaps a "Trade Zone" Planet for Corpus and Grineer that the Tenno need to "Raid" in order to gain resources for Tenno forces and the Lotus. <-- I know it sounds sorta Lorish, but I think it would be cool if the Corpus and Grineer worked "together" under these weird conditions.

Same thing happened to me, except it was an infested mission and a Grineer force landed. Kinda weird to see both factions in one game. I wonder if anybody has seen three. 

What they could do to make it more logical and interesting would be to have a relatively large, open map, akin to those used in Defense missions, and use multiple spawn points on sides of the map where the different factions would spawn. They'd be hostile to one another, and knowing the AI, probably wouldn't do very much. Your mission could be an Exterminate one- where you have to kill them all, which would be more difficult because there would be greater numbers of enemies at once, or a retrieve mission (artifact), where the orokin artifact or reactor would be between them.

Just some ideas.

+1

The multi-party fights open a lot of doors for 'interesting' things to happen. Interesting missions could also stem from them, such as 'only kill this faction - want this ship to end up in faction X's hands'.

There are also hints of politics between the factions, which would be interesting to see play out. More like cold war missions where you aren't openly attacking a faction, but are rather attempting a false flag operation.