Psa: Autohotkey Ban Qualification

DE_Adam

I haven't seen it.

There was one supposed example so far, and it was in this thread and it took me 5 seconds to look at the script and see that it had commands for the mouse to point and click at specific parts of screen (and that the replies to him from DE mentioned they don't want auto-aiming and the automated system picks up on that).

That wasn't auto-aiming, and it wasn't automated since it required that that player press a button first, thus making it no different than a press X to copter once macro.

That wasn't auto-aiming, and it wasn't automated since it required that that player press a button first, thus making it no different than a press X to copter once macro.

I'm pretty sure a "press x to copter" macro is a form of automation, since pressing X would translate to a combination of pressing and holding W, then pressing Ctrl, Shift, and E.  That's more complex than "spam 3 when I hold 3" which is what a simple auto-fire macro (which, after reading this thread, is one of the few if not only things allowed) would do.

I'm pretty sure a "press x to copter" macro is a form of automation, since pressing X would translate to a combination of pressing and holding W, then pressing Ctrl, Shift, and E.  That's more complex than "spam 3 when I hold 3" which is what a simple auto-fire macro (which, after reading this thread, is one of the few if not only things allowed) would do.

DE hasn't said what the extent of complexity we're allowed is.

It has come to our attention that there is some confusion regarding the use of AutoHotKey macros, and whether the use of AutoHotKey.exe alone is enough to warrant a ban (in short: it’s not).  We understand that while these hotkeys can be used for exploitative purposes they also serve a very important function in assisting players with potential disabilities -- something that we’re very mindful of.

Because of this there are other factors involved in receive a ban due to the use of AutoHotKey.exe, including a review of multiple stats on the account in question.  Should you receive a ban that you feel is not warranted, please submit a support ticket and we’ll be sure to review the circumstances regarding your ban as soon as possible.

We hope this clears up any confusion regarding the use of AutoHotKey.exe and our stance on macros that assist players in-game.  Rest assured, running such software in isolation is not grounds for an immediate ban.

-DE_Adam

Maybe it's time for a in-game macro? For fast macro message & Hotkey & disabled.

At least with this, u have layout some ground rules for bans.

You know, we could go on forever, I get what you are trying to do, you are trying to clear things up, but since this post is up there, and people are looking at it a lot, wouldn't hurt that they just came back into the thread and gave it their 2 cents.

I understand why that guy got banned that was using mousepos macroing, im not questioning that, but fine I rest my case, i mean, I'm 100% sure that DE has been following this thread from the shadows, they just don't want to give any players any ideas on how to make macros because the original idea for the game is that is shouldn't be macroable like it is today. Of course if the state of the game changes and its no longer viable to campstrat or so, then there will be no need for it, and if they don't feel like they need to come in and say anything, then that is fine.

(To DE If you read this: Even if you didnt intend to have these sort of brainless camping strats, at least i am happy that the option exists. I like this game because of the variation, you have to be really engaged in some missions, or you can sometimes be braindead and focus more on socializing with your clanmates over voice while just going into a sort of muscle-memory phase for an hour or two. I've farmed countless of times in the same missions to level up my gear and frames, and i still don't see it as a chore, thanks to all the options you give us :) I can play it however i feel like! Kudos for that.)

This is quite interesting indeed. I have only recently (2 weeks ago) started looking at my RAT 9's software and decided to try my hand at adding a few actions to the otherwise unused buttons. I figured the first thing I would try was to program a Jump -> Flip to speed me along my way. I pressed the Shift / Ctrl / Space combination in order to record the actions, then edited the timing till it worked more or less consistently.

Now I can activate it on my thumb button, provided I'm already sprinting and I get the Jump Flip. 

Next I tried a Slide attack and a rapid fire (with zoom) for weapons like my Latron. This too worked nicely and will be saving lots of clicks on my very expensive mouse. I also added a burst fire mode by editing the timing between click events to help improve accuracy on something like my Grakata.

So, then I came upon this PSA today and my heart jumped. I didn't ever consider the implications of such macros as getting banned. Fortunately from what I gathered here through the various inputs is that what I'm doing is "acceptable" use and I shouldn't run into any trouble.

I haven't seen it.

There was one supposed example so far, and it was in this thread and it took me 5 seconds to look at the script and see that it had commands for the mouse to point and click at specific parts of screen (and that the replies to him from DE mentioned they don't want auto-aiming and the automated system picks up on that).

If there are any with actual details and proof, I'd love to see them 'cause people keep saying "Well I heard of X happening" but nobody has any details.  This thread is a PSA to clear up the "simply using AHK at all will get you banned" rumor, so still listening to those rumors is pretty counter-productive!

You're still interacting with your computer, and it'll only last so long since you can't regain energy from a Trin or anything while it's active.  In addition holding down one button is not any sort of complex action, I see no problem with it.

I've seen both 1 and 2 used in scripts (generally 2 is used when 1 would be too much finger stretching but a quick tap for on/off on an unused key will work) with no repercussions.

Though tapping 1 every few seconds in an automated manner throughout a whole mission seems weird and might trip up the auto detection system and you might have to send in a ticket (like the first post says).

Warframe, like many games, has an automated detection system.

This and reports from other players seem to be the two main ways DE looks into it.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/436368-psa-autohotkey-ban-qualification/page-4#entry4843269

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/436368-psa-autohotkey-ban-qualification/page-4#entry4847937

Quotes that state what type of stuff is and is not allowed...

I am the proof your looking for that this auto ban system is hitting innocent players.

I was doing Draco farming with clan mates, went to forma and got error. Restarted game and it then says my account is suspended until 2035.

It was ludicrous and I couldn't believe I was banned for nothing.

Surely it must have been a glitch or something but no matter how many times I restart my game I got the same thing. I start looking around for what might be the problem. AKH... which by the way I have never used for Warframe ever, but I do play Mass Effect still and had a auto fire script running in the background as it's easy to forget about it. Even then, it was just a simple auto fire script that I literally years ago got right off the Mass Effect forums to make semi auto weapons perform better, as it just kills my finger, my mouse and I already have carpal tunnel. I actually avoid using semi auto's in Warframe for this reason, and I will admit I was just being to lazy to figure out / create an autofire one for Warframe.

So easy fix right, just submit a ticket and surely they will see I was doing no wrong, but that was 4 days ago, one of those being Sunday.

It's very frustrating being banned for no reason. I've spent about 400 bucks on this game, just literally bought Prime Access and then this happens.

I even checked the Eula, and in most cases I see nothing that I've broke there. So I got an account suspension solely because I had a AHK autofire script running in the background that had never been toggled on while playing the game. And yes, all my Draco farming has literally been me sitting there mind numbingly pushing one key with clan mates, then running around in a circle to collect our rewards, repeat.

So how is this even possible?

I've not modified any game files nor communication to the game, I've played it as I always do and ban. Then on top it's now over 4 days going to 5 this afternoon with no account access and yet are they going to compensate me in any way when they resolve this? I highly doubt it.

So what you think is a myth, I can assure you is not. It makes me wonder how many others got nailed for no reason as well.

I am the proof your looking for that this auto ban system is hitting innocent players.

I was doing Draco farming with clan mates, went to forma and got error. Restarted game and it then says my account is suspended until 2035.

It was ludicrous and I couldn't believe I was banned for nothing.

Surely it must have been a glitch or something but no matter how many times I restart my game I got the same thing. I start looking around for what might be the problem. AKH... which by the way I have never used for Warframe ever, but I do play Mass Effect still and had a auto fire script running in the background as it's easy to forget about it. Even then, it was just a simple auto fire script that I literally years ago got right off the Mass Effect forums to make semi auto weapons perform better, as it just kills my finger, my mouse and I already have carpal tunnel. I actually avoid using semi auto's in Warframe for this reason, and I will admit I was just being to lazy to figure out / create an autofire one for Warframe.

So easy fix right, just submit a ticket and surely they will see I was doing no wrong, but that was 4 days ago, one of those being Sunday.

It's very frustrating being banned for no reason. I've spent about 400 bucks on this game, just literally bought Prime Access and then this happens.

I even checked the Eula, and in most cases I see nothing that I've broke there. So I got an account suspension solely because I had a AHK autofire script running in the background that had never been toggled on while playing the game. And yes, all my Draco farming has literally been me sitting there mind numbingly pushing one key with clan mates, then running around in a circle to collect our rewards, repeat.

So how is this even possible?

I've not modified any game files nor communication to the game, I've played it as I always do and ban. Then on top it's now over 4 days going to 5 this afternoon with no account access and yet are they going to compensate me in any way when they resolve this? I highly doubt it.

So what you think is a myth, I can assure you is not. It makes me wonder how many others got nailed for no reason as well.

Wow. That's pretty terrible, and makes me worry about the way this game is going. If DE can't even make their system avoid banning someone for simply having a program running in the background, what the hell else is it doing? This is why I hate automated systems. They do more harm than good, and only ever result in people that weren't doing anything wrong getting banned.

I haven't used AHK, but I'm going to start doing it to make firing semi-auto weapons easier on my fingers, and if I somehow get banned/suspended for that, you can damn well bet I'm going to raise as much hell as I need to, until it gets fixed. I've spent plenty of money on this game, including getting the Hunter tier of the Founder pack back when those were available, so any sort of automatic banning for something as simple as an autofire script is unacceptable, and won't be something I just let go, if it happens to me.

Basically, DE can warn people all they want, and issue vague threats of bans for things that are a non-issue, but if their system keeps acting up like this, they're going to be the ones with a ton of outraged customers, and they're going to be the ones dealing with working overtime to fix a system that's punishing the wrong people for the wrong things. So yeah, if I get banned for using an autofire script, damn straight DE is going to be dealing with an incredibly &!$$ed-off customer demanding that the mistake be fixed.

Edit: Friend of mine pointed out that naming the Hunter pack and such might make it seem like I expect special treatment or something for that. Didn't mean it that way at all. What i'm saying is that as someone that has supported and loved this game since the beginning, I expect the product to work, and the ban system to not pick people off for doing something so simple. I've come to expect a certain level of quality from Warframe, and from DE, and this sort of "It's okay except when it's not" PR response is not indicative of that expected quality.

Edited by Metal_Izanagi

Wow. That's pretty terrible, and makes me worry about the way this game is going. If DE can't even make their system avoid banning someone for simply having a program running in the background, what the hell else is it doing? This is why I hate automated systems. They do more harm than good, and only ever result in people that weren't doing anything wrong getting banned.

I haven't used AHK, but I'm going to start doing it to make firing semi-auto weapons easier on my fingers, and if I somehow get banned/suspended for that, you can damn well bet I'm going to raise as much hell as I need to, until it gets fixed. I've spent plenty of money on this game, including getting the Hunter tier of the Founder pack back when those were available, so any sort of automatic banning for something as simple as an autofire script is unacceptable, and won't be something I just let go, if it happens to me.

Basically, DE can warn people all they want, and issue vague threats of bans for things that are a non-issue, but if their system keeps acting up like this, they're going to be the ones with a ton of outraged customers, and they're going to be the ones dealing with working overtime to fix a system that's punishing the wrong people for the wrong things. So yeah, if I get banned for using an autofire script, damn straight DE is going to be dealing with an incredibly &!$$ed-off customer demanding that the mistake be fixed.

From my understanding, rapid-fire macros are fine. You might get banned for ''afk'' auto-farming macros though. 

Edit: Friend of mine pointed out that naming the Hunter pack and such might make it seem like I expect special treatment or something for that. Didn't mean it that way at all. What i'm saying is that as someone that has supported and loved this game since the beginning, I expect the product to work, and the ban system to not pick people off for doing something so simple. I've come to expect a certain level of quality from Warframe, and from DE, and this sort of "It's okay except when it's not" PR response is not indicative of that expected quality.

I am going to fight it as much as I can, and trust me I am plenty pissed off inside about this, and I try not to think about it as it just upsets me more when I suspect they won't compensate me for it, like daily forma building, weapon time limits, extractors, farming my daily resource needs and ultimately Darvo shows up tomorrow and I've not been allowed to even farm dewcats this week to be ready for his items. I'm also a completionist so even if he has things I will never use (Prime Quick Hands, Nexus Fur pattern as I don't use the dogs much) I will still buy them. My history will show it as well, and all of this is because of their systems fault.

It also doesn't help that I'm sure some of my clan mates are thinking I"m some kind of dirty hacker or something, as their demeanor's have changed when I talk to some of them in TS. Then on top of that, the purchases I've made towards this game are significant and all of this leaves you feeling ripped off, that they just want your money as they can flush you down the drain at any time they want for any reason they deem good enough.

And I'm now at about 5 days for the ban and still no signs of any activity to my ticket. Heck, someone must have just checked my UPNP ticket I put in last month as it shows recent activity on a closed ticket now 30 some minutes.

I wish there was a support phone number I could call for support as clearly their priorities in this regard are not where they need to be.

From my understanding, rapid-fire macros are fine. You might get banned for ''afk'' auto-farming macros though. 

Even if that's the case, in my regard I got banned for not even using it. I see nothing in their Eula that says 'any running process while Warframe is running breaks Eula' type of statement. So how do they justify this.. it's just frustrating as this game is my crack addiction and I've only ever supported it via purchasing items/services from then and vocally as they seem like a good company. 

I just can't fathom though how they allow an auto ban program while not making 'bans' priority one for human support to confirm.

DE is too anal-retentive in trying to enforce a Right Way™ to play. 

People will always use these kind of tools to assist playing. 

Guess what? It's not really relevant to much of the game. 

This kind of assist only becomes "cheating" when there's an actual competitive gameplay advantage. 

When there's an EVENT with a leaderboard for instance, the Event alone should consider AHK detection. 

Or in PvP. 

But when we are playing in the star map with friends? Hell no. Let people AHK till their noses bleed.

Have I mentioned how stair crazy it makes a person when your addiction has been taken away and you can see it but not touch it?

And i'm a paying customer that they took my money and then for no reason decided it would be fun to just not give me my crack.

And alas day 5 and support hours have closed for the day. ... this is just agonizing!

Edited by Netherminder

Have I mentioned how stair crazy it makes a person when your addiction has been taken away and you can see it but not touch it?

And i'm a paying customer that they took my money and then for no reason decided it would be fun to just not give me my crack.

And alas day 5 and support hours have closed for the day. ... this is just agonizing!

What strikes me as much worse is that DE has yet to respond to any of the concerns that a number of people have voiced in this thread alone. This is a pretty serious issue, and definitely deserves more attention and public discussion, than none at all.

Even if they have come around to deciding they don't like AHK anymore, the fact that they approved of it prior and then change their mind by going straight to account banning seems pretty damn extreme.

What ever happened to a warning?

You know how the forums even have warning points, but they just make a 180 decision and go straight to the ban hammer for it, especially when it isn't that bad of an issue. Then peeps like me who literally did nothing but have the program installed get insta banned, then sitting for 5+ days now with no response to ticket, on top I suspect this won't be resolved this tomorrow or this weekend meaning I will Void Trader. Will they compensate me those items? I doubt it.

*sad panda

That is actually a nice treatment.

I got some friends who are lacking, and that is not a joke, coordination with their own muscle mechanics and are in need of such tools.

And on the other side, there are people playing games which do have, lets say 2-4 fingers.

So, I totally agree within this decision.

That is actually a nice treatment.

I got some friends who are lacking, and that is not a joke, coordination with their own muscle mechanics and are in need of such tools.

And on the other side, there are people playing games which do have, lets say 2-4 fingers.

So, I totally agree within this decision.

The thing is, if it is flagging you just for having the program running in the background and banning you regardless of script, then it would probably cause those that need via disability wise more grief trying to play than not.

The thing is, if it is flagging you just for having the program running in the background and banning you regardless of script, then it would probably cause those that need via disability wise more grief trying to play than not.

My PC is not a dedicated gaming rig and I do use AHK for other things like custom clipboards among others. That DE would ban you for simply having AHK running in the background, regardless of script, is nucking futs. Definitely need some input and clarification from them on this.

Edited by CruzrTN

I've been using AHK for quite some time and never had problems with it. I've been using a rapid fire macro in the past, as well as a cypher one, but i've abandoned both due to firerate cap and some issues. All i use ahk for at the moment, is to hold down my push-to-talk key for me on button press, so i can just activate/deactivate my microphone when there's time.

Then, yesterday, when i was playing a public round of Draco, i noticed some of the players were talking so i quickly opened up the script and used it once. The game finished normally, people were dying as usual, nothing out of the ordinary. When trying to replay the mission I got a "failed to create session" message, making me relog, only to be greeted with the well known account suspension notification. I'm now banned for 20 years. I contacted the support yesterday but i have little hope they will review this before the weekend. Oh, well.

What's really shocking here for me is that the system couldn't possible have detected an "out of the order" input behavior, it was just one (albeit artificially) held down button. I've used much more complex and flashy (though never "automated") scripts before and never had any problems. For me it looks like simply the execution of the ahk process caused the cheat detection system to auto ban me. That's pretty scary.

Even though it was now multiple times stated that ahk may be used to a certain extend, the cheat detection system seems to hand out permabans just for the detection of the ahk process. And it seems to be completely arbitrary when it does so as well. How do the rules here coincide with the actions taken? I'm dazzled by this level of inconsistency.

The current system seems to be fine in theory - DE has stated that bans should be on a case-by-case basis. But what's happening is that the software is issuing automatic bans without human input, and then the un-ban is being looked at on a case-by-case basis. This is unacceptable, and is not what DE claimed to offer.

In addition, support is slow. If we were talking about an unban the next day, that'd be fine. But more than a week, sometimes two, for a game with timed and scripted events like the void trader, alerts, and this weekend being a double affinity weekend that you guys are now missing, it's absolutely not right.

I've been wary of the autoban software for a while now, but it's usually pretty quiet... as in not a lot of bans issued. It's ramped up a lot recently with little oversight, and that makes me nervous. If the software is issuing a significant number of incorrect bans, as in more than can be rectified within a reasonable timeframe of a couple of days, DE needs to take it offline and get something that works.

Or they're going to lose players; the ones who were unjustly banned, and the ones who are afraid they will be next.

Darzk, completely agree with you buddy.

Depending how much longer and how they respond to my support ticket will either go that I'm satisfied with thier results or I'm completely done.

If done, then I would seek refund and verbally turn away anyone that would listen which would be a shame because overall I think DE and the devs are good guys overall, but someone made a major oversight in thinking this auto-ban was even a viable option in it's current form.

DERebecca's profile even says specifically she can't help with auto-bans, which to me shows that this is a bigger issue then we are seeing that she put a response about it in her profile that she can't help with it.

I still can't believe that after the amount of money I've invested in the game and I've always been playing it the way the dev's encourage minus some Draco farming (no macros) and this is what I or others like me get, is an auto ban which is now at 5 days, and this one is almost over for support hours which means Monday will be the earliest they can look at it putting my ticket at 9 days. 

I've never been banned before (for any game), so I might be over reacting but it just feels so dirty, and I can see trying to explain to Clan mates or anyone that I didn't cheat/hack/macro it, I can just tell they are looking at me like I'm lying. One person in clan even said that if I'm banned this long then it has to be because I'm guilty or they would have un-banned me already. Try explaining that they haven't even got to my ticket yet and they don't believe me.

I've been using AHK for quite some time and never had problems with it. I've been using a rapid fire macro in the past, as well as a cypher one, but i've abandoned both due to firerate cap and some issues. All i use ahk for at the moment, is to hold down my push-to-talk key for me on button press, so i can just activate/deactivate my microphone when there's time.

Then, yesterday, when i was playing a public round of Draco, i noticed some of the players were talking so i quickly opened up the script and used it once. The game finished normally, people were dying as usual, nothing out of the ordinary. When trying to replay the mission I got a "failed to create session" message, making me relog, only to be greeted with the well known account suspension notification. I'm now banned for 20 years. I contacted the support yesterday but i have little hope they will review this before the weekend. Oh, well.

What's really shocking here for me is that the system couldn't possible have detected an "out of the order" input behavior, it was just one (albeit artificially) held down button. I've used much more complex and flashy (though never "automated") scripts before and never had any problems. For me it looks like simply the execution of the ahk process caused the cheat detection system to auto ban me. That's pretty scary.

Even though it was now multiple times stated that ahk may be used to a certain extend, the cheat detection system seems to hand out permabans just for the detection of the ahk process. And it seems to be completely arbitrary when it does so as well. How do the rules here coincide with the actions taken? I'm dazzled by this level of inconsistency.

Christ, another one? This whole thing is starting to make DE look worse every time. And we're still without a response in this thread from someone who is actually in a position to provide answers, too. :\ Come on, DE; you're better than this, and Warframe is better than this.

Honestly, this thread alone has deterred me from spending any more on Platinum until the issues with the automatic banning system are resolved. I'm not going to put any more money into this game when people that an automatic program has arbitrarily decided have done something wrong are getting perma-bans, without so much as a single warning.

If you guys want to start handing out permanent bans, you need to have your system be EXTREMELY transparent about how and why it's banning these people. An email to the affected account's associated email address pointing out the ban, and explaining in detail what was detected, and how long the ban is for, is a good start.

Just kicking someone from the game and giving a generic "20 years" ban message on the login screen, with no information available without contacting your support team, is pretty shady, especially when you're taking money from people. You guys are running a business here, and you need to be professional about it. Professionals let people know how and why they're in trouble, when they take action against them. You don't see cops hauling people off without telling them why they're being hauled off. No employer can legally fire someone without telling them why they're being fired. A school can't give a kid detention without saying why they're giving them detention.

If what someone is doing is considered cheating, TELL THEM. Don't just give them the boot and demand that they speak to support if they want to know why. How the heck is someone supposed to determine if their ban was unwarranted, if you aren't even telling them why they were banned in the first place? For all anyone that gets banned knows, it could be because the Lotus sensed them picking their nose during that last Defense wave. Nobody should be obligated to speak to a support rep just to find out why they can't use an account that they may well have spent hundreds of dollars on, especially when your support reps take upwards of a week, when things are slow, just to make an initial response!

Edited by Metal_Izanagi

Please post the full text of your AHK script or PM it to me. I am curious to see it given that the previous script posted here (supposedly a simple autofire macro) unfortunately included instantaneous mouse movement to click on ui buttons...

Please post the full text of your AHK script or PM it to me. I am curious to see it given that the previous script posted here (supposedly a simple autofire macro) unfortunately included instantaneous mouse movement to click on ui buttons...

Sure. Here's the full script, it still containts the rapid fire macros for pistols and melee, their methods to activate/deactivate them and the cypher macro. Though as i said, i don't use them anymore. Nothing here acts without user input, nothing reads the state of the game, nothing places the cursor on the screen.

active = 0

active2 = 0

~LButton::

~^LButton::

while (GetKeyState("LButton","P") && active)

{

Send {click}

RandSleep(23,25)

}

return

~f::

while (GetKeyState("F","P") && active2)

{

Send {f}

RandSleep(23,25)

}

return