Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Directx Failed To Update

Apex_Nemachode

Hey guys its me again and now, all of the sudden, my Warframe launcher wants to download Directx for the game but it keeps saying that the update failed. What do I do now? It was working just fine yesterday and the day before but now this happened :/ Anyone knows what to do?

Solution: At this point, it appears to be an incompatibility between the update and Anti-Virus. Turning off Anti-Virus appears to allow the launcher to update properly.

Also having this problem. Launcher starts, status bar says "Updating DirectX Components" and then goes to a white screen that says "Update of DirectX failed."

Video of the offending issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66KNKytQRzA&feature=youtu.be

I'm using an nVidia card and not AMD if that helps any due to the recent patch about AMD cards.

LAUNCHER VERSION: 2015.04.16.11.47

Link to the thread on the Steam Forums for the same issue. http://steamcommunity.com/app/230410/discussions/0/864971139109279327/

Edit: Going to add some notes.

This started with 16.3.3. I logged in just fine before the patch hit. Honestly, I think it's highly likely directly caused by the countermeasures for the AMD and DirectX problem. On a personal note, I think they should just be removed and people should manually disable DX10/11 like when nVidia users were having the exact same issue with DX10/11 several months back before nVidia fixed the issue. This is preventing me from playing the game entirely and I don't even use AMD cards.

Verifying and redownloading components via Steam does nothing to fix the issue, just made me accept EULAs again.

A suggestion below to reset the computer and just let the launcher run did not seem to have done anything to fix the situation in the time I've tested so far. I suspect that that's a different situation where it may just keep trying to update but not failing outright. However, I will be testing it out over hours long duration while I am in class today just to be sure that the launcher comes to a complete halt after failing to update DirectX and it's not still working behind the fail screen.

Edit 2: As expected, all activity with the launcher stops after it reaches the Update of DirectX Failed screen. Had it running for almost 4 hours.

Edit 3: 16.3.4 did nothing to fix the issue. Uninstalled and reinstalled, also did not fix the issue. Going to record a video of the error in action.

Edit 4: Attempt to update DirectX manually results in no change as DirectX says there's nothing to update.

Edit 5: 16.3.5 does not appear to fix the issue either. Deleting the launcher and redownloading from Steam does not fix the issue either.

Edited by Ceryk

It's only trying to update DirectX 9 which hasn't been changed since June 2010. It's a $&*^ move forcing this on players again since it's totally unneeded. (I'm pretty sure the launcher forced users to update direct X the first time it was run so doing it again now is doubly useless.)

How to bypass: (I did this myself. It may be too complicated for the average user but it works.)

Step 1: Use some security software to hook into and handle execution control. (I'm using Comodo Defence+) Make sure it's not set to auto-allow execution and requires manual approval of everything.
Step 2: When the above is working start the launcher and wait for it to try and launch DXSETUP.exe. Wait at the approval dialogue don't allow the execution yet. Instead, go rename DXSETUP.exe to something else, place a random exe in the same location (calc.exe works) and rename it to DXSETUP.exe.
Step 3: Allow the execution of DXSETUP.exe and Warframe will start your surrogate process then resume updating. (You will probably get a UAC prompt at this stage and any credentials entered will be used for the surrogate process; admin or no.)

Spet 4: Delete your surrogate exe and restore the original name for DXSETUP.exe.

Step 5: If you don't know what you're doing turn execution control back off to avoid problems later.

Disclaimer: Beware. Dragons ahead. Enter at your own risk.

Edited by Feed_Dante

Same issue here.

EDIT: Try restarting your computer and giving the launcher all the time it wants.

This did nothing for me. I have a feeling you might have had a different issue where it just kept trying to update. We're talking about it stops trying to update and goes to a page where it says it has failed to update and all activity stops. Having the update open for a half hour this morning did nothing. I am willing to let it run while I go to class, but I find it unlikely that anything will change since, at least in my case, it's going to the Failed page after like 5 or 10 seconds of the launcher trying to update DirectX.

Yes, same problem, spend two minutes to bypass it, absolutely ridiculous that launcher trying to update dx9c (just blocked distributive DX with anti-virus software and through the filesystem).

Edited by ZoMbi656

I have alerted Rebecca to the existence of this thread, but I don't know how long it takes her to get through messages and alert the people on pest control to the issue.

There are also a handful of people in the Steam Forums for the game running into the same issue. They have a few workarounds listed, however they don't appear to work for everyone. That leads me to believe that there may be multiple bugs associated with this issue. And as it started with 16.3.3, it seems as though it is most probably linked to what ever code they put into the launcher to change the way it deals with DirectX.

Fastest way to deal with the issue would likely be to remove all of that code and just let the affected AMD users do what those of us nVidia users suffered through for months and manually disable DX10/11 until such time as AMD fixes their drivers. This code is causing all kinds of problems for people who aren't having problems, besides of those of us with the DirectX issue. A launcher and in game PSA about the issue would have probably been more effective and have caused less problems and anger than what they chose to do.

Edited by Ceryk

Now there's Jolt AND double xp weekend and in won't be able to do any of it :(

Not to mention Baro if he has anything good. 16.3.4 did nothing to resolve the issue like I was hoping it would by rolling the launcher back. But I'm guessing they didn't actually roll the launcher back and they just modified some of what ever they put in.

Edit: Nevermind, Jolt is from Baro. I don't need Jolt, but I'm really upset that I probably won't be able to get the Syandana all because of a bug that the Devs probably won't even hear about, let alone fix, until next week (if not longer) because so few people appear to be having the issue.

Edited by Ceryk

Yeah, one of the items he's selling is another Prisma Syandana. Not in the mood to look it up again though to confirm the name of it, it would just make me mad that I can't get past this bug to play the game. But it's different from the last one he sold.

Edited by Ceryk

• 2 weeks later...

Our support desk does have some tips for troubleshooting this:

Can you please try and install DirectX directly from wherever you installed Warframe

If you installed via Steam for example it would be \Steam\SteamApps\common\Warframe\Drivers\DirectX9
If you installed it directly from our website it should be in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Drivers\DirectX9

if still doesn't work, try installing the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

This may help, let me know.

Hey guys, try this if nothing is working. Seems to work for me.

*Sigh.* I have found a 'fix" for this. It is no solution, but it will allow you to play the game at the very least. You need to go to the steam/common/warframe/drives/directx9 folder and then run the launcher. As SOON as you run the launcher you need to remove every file except 3 from the directx9 folder, the three fires are DSETUP.dll, dsetup32.dll, DXSETUP.exe, do this AS SOON as you run the launcher and it should fix the direct x cannot update problem.

Please note, you will have to do this EVERYTIME you run the warframe launcher, it is a hassel but at least you can play the game. I put in a support ticket, and am hoping to have this little addition removed from the launcher's required assets, it should be an optional thing.